Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New Spiderman

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,066 Posts

New Spiderman

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts
    IMO I really don't care about the race of the man under the suit but I think the black suit is much cooler looking than the old one. Besides, it's more spider-like. There are plenty of black spiders, but you RARELY see any red ones. (I'm not actually sure if I ever have.)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to OldJake666 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well fuck it Marvel, if you're going through all the trouble of changing all the defining aspects of an iconic IP, why the fuck would you stop at the name of the IP?

Because it's not about telling good, modern stories with believable and deep characters representative of the times. It's about convincing grown men - men dressed in ambiguously long shorts and "POW!"- or "ZAP!"-stained neon shirts with greasy hair, drinking milkshakes - to give up whatever livelihood they make at the local DVD rental store in the name of ... well I'm actually not sure exactly why... but it's genius.

If only I'd thought of it first...
    Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    It's Ultimates, which has done other whatever-version of characters. Like gay Colossus.

Over in the regular universe, Peter Parker continues as usual.

if you're going through all the trouble of changing all the defining aspects of an iconic IP
    I sort of prefer it to the this-Flash-same-as-the-last system of succession. (I know that's DC. Still. Why bother passing the mantle is the next guy is just the old guy all over again, with different hair color?)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    Seems to me like an obvious and desperate attempt to get people reading Ultimate Spider Man.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 850 Posts
    well Marvel seems to be in love with rebooting for reboot sake. I don't like Brian Michael Bendis or any of the decisions he's made for the Marvel catalog. Anything with Ultimate in the title I've given a shot was constipated with invisible context. So I'd say it's bad storytelling. I can't argue with sales though. All of this shark jumping must have it's benifits.

Apparently Marvel thought Sam Raimi wasn't Amazing, so they had to start over.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 586 Posts
    If they manage to make an interesting character out of it, sure, why not. The Ultimate line's made so many drastic (and often completely arbitrary) changes to characters that this isn't exactly a major shift in direction. It's worked for some books and not for others, so it depends on the writing.

Having said that, it doesn't matter to me personally at all. Marvel already trashed the imprint with Ultimatum, so I stopped caring about all the characters in it long ago.

Thanks
    I wasn't a fan of Raimi. The first two were alright, the third was absolutely horrible. Like Ghost Rider or Daredevil horrible. I think it's way too soon for a reboot though. I would have rather seen Donald Glover play Peter in the movie though. Which is where Marvel probably got their idea to make Peter black in the comics. But Donald would have made a good Peter Parker regardless of his skin color.
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,644 Posts
    I agree with Sidharth. If they make him interesting and actually handle it well and the stories are good, then I don't mind at all. Honestly when it's about superheroes, I've seen worse.
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Since the new Spiderman stays in the Ultimate universe I really don't have a problem with it. Although Peter Parker is dead, there is no need to cancel the comics.
    And I don't see the problem with new Spiderman being afro-american/hispanic.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 884 Posts
    Story characters always get reinvented I like that there's more diversity, it's about time really. I'm surprised they're practically remaking the films though, seems like just another way to showcase new digital effects, which in itself I guess isn't bad, the end of the trailer where you're seeing the city from Parkers POV is really cool.

Thanks
    Yeah I'm not a Marvel fanboy, but I still want to work for them one day. There have ups and downs. I tend to like the less popular runs. Whatever I check out a Marvel book due to popularity I always wind up regretting it and questioning the integrity of the market.
    One cool thing about Marvel is their flexibility of content. Every once in a while you run across some randomly awesome comic that explore new methods in visual storytelling. So it's a give and take. They can release both oil painted pages exporing the mythology or a cheap Sam Jackson hijacking of (my favorite character) Nick Fury.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    i am eager to see how this new spidey will turn out, as long as they dont end with The amazing spiderman im okay.
    -We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

My SKETCHbook
    http://jeeso.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Only a question of time now before Emo-Spider graces our screens... ;-)

New Spiderman

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to blogmatix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I guess it's good since a new spiderman means peter parker will hopefully stay dead. They'll still resurrect him eventually though.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 884 Posts

22. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Angel Intheuk For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by s.ketch View Post
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/08/...ck-spider-man/
    From an illustration and story-telling standpoint, what do you think?
    "I want to see his birth certificate."

- My hat's off to that respondent, I laughed quite hard.

Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    The new Invincible is black, if memory serves.

Wasn't there already a hispanic Spider-Man, the 2099 one?

Whatever, I'm interested. I've been meaning to actually read Ultimate Spider-Man. I haven't read any of it since it started 11 years ago, and I've heard that out of the Ultimate line, it's probably the only one that's consistently decent.

Plus my shelf has only 3 Marvel books anyway.
    Last edited by Psychotime; August 3rd, 2011 at 12:16 PM.

Thanks
    hmmm, just makes me wonder if they have ever turned a black character white?

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeadlyFreeze For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyFreeze View Post
    hmmm, just makes me wonder if they have ever turned a black character white?
    I remember people complaining about Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern. Said people clearly only watched the DCAU Justice League and never read any of the comics. Not anyone's fault, really.

But as has been said before, Peter Parker's dead (in the Ultimate Universe, anyway) and this new kid's taking the name and costume. Years ago, Blue Beetle got killed off and a new guy (who happened to be hispanic) took the name (but has powers unlike the earlier one). And decades ago John Stewart (a black guy) became Green Lantern at a certain point, and became the one most non-comic readers knew of.

This thing with Spider-Man isn't anything new.

Also:

http://graphicpolicy.com/2011/08/01/...arket-problem/

New Spiderman
    New Spiderman
    Last edited by Psychotime; August 3rd, 2011 at 02:54 PM.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    I remember people complaining about Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern. Said people clearly only watched the DCAU Justice League and never read any of the comics.

Also:

http://graphicpolicy.com/2011/08/01/...arket-problem/
    Claaassyyyy.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Radicou View Post
    Claaassyyyy.
    I agree. Who in their right minds would dare make a joke on the interwebs.

Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,192 Times in 1,728 Posts
    About 95% of the classic superheroes were invented by neurotic jewish kids who grew up dirt poor in the bronx, ny. Though none of the superheroes they invented were practicing jews, most of them hid their identities, were slightly nerdy/bookish, interested in science or were affected by science, and felt like outcasts because of how different they were, or because of what they had lost family-wise (Krypton blows up, parents murdered... jews fleeing europe during the 30s, anti-semitism a daily fact... check.)

Tarzan and John Carter of Mars were invented by Edgar Rice Burroughs at a time when evolutionary theory was quite revolutionary, and when the success of manned flight made the idea of travelling to other planets more of reality... and thus part of everyday fantasies. Mr. Burroughs led a journeyman's life prior to becoming a writer, after which he left his most adventurous days behind him.

Yet, no black tarzan, nor black John Carter? Why not?

Are the black culture-ingesting kids of today feeling like the jewish kids of the 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s?

Was Luke Cage (invented by a wasp and an italian) not Jewish enough for black kids? Was Black Panther too african?

Seems like there's something weird going on with black identity that leads to the need to literally usurp the identity of white jewish-ish superheroes rather than come up with new black-from-the-start heroes. Why is there no african-american Stan Lee or Jack Kirby? There are certainly a bunch of super talented african americans working in comics.

Sociologically, all this makes me worried.

Anybody want to weigh in on this? Phenomenon or Anomaly? Is this all the results of decades of inner city devastation in the U.S.?
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

32. The Following User Says Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    i dont care what race this guy is but peter parker as spiderman is tradition so the replacement spiderman better be as good. i wonder if he's gonna be bitten by a radioactive spider too but then if there is one radioactive spider, there must be other radioactive spiders and if there are several radioactive spiders they would have bitten many more people and there would be alot of spidermen and spiderwomen.

i just hope the storyline doesnt revolve around his race or marginalize the kid as a "foreign other" living in imaginary land wakanda or something because would be a really shitty overdone storyline

now, i am waiting for some obese superheroes so they can represent the fatter side of america like me

New Spiderman
    ~*the artistic journey is like giving birth, its gonna hurt and you know you suck but you cant give up because there is no such thing as "giving up" in childbirth*~

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stragan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    New Spiderman
    Last edited by Psychotime; August 3rd, 2011 at 04:06 PM.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Anybody want to weigh in on this? Phenomenon or Anomaly? Is this all the results of decades of inner city devastation in the U.S.?
    Have-nots don't want their own stuff, they want what the Haves have. Plus decades of "You should have what white people have" from society. And that's not just white people, it goes for everyone. "You should have exactly what the ruling class has."

Maybe. I dunno.
    Last edited by s.ketch; August 3rd, 2011 at 05:00 PM.

Thanks
    If Marvel's going to change any of their characters' ethnicities, they should make Captain America Native American. You can't get much more American than a Native American after all.
    Everything is better with dinosaurs.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brandon Pilcher For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,192 Times in 1,728 Posts
    At some point almost everybody's clan was a bunch of have-nots, buck. Somebody along the way must figure out those things to have that make them The Haves. And quite often a people will invent their own idea of wealth.

Anyway, I could turn my question around and ask: Why didn't the jews who invented all those super heroes just make a Jewish Zorro, Tarzan, Casanova, or Dracula and be done with it?

And I think the issue is that Spider Man, Batman, and Captain America are much more valuable symbolic real estate for those who are attenuated to questions of race today, than any fictional characters back in the 40s and 50s were important to any question of american identity for young jews.

Is there some affront implied in the fact that Spiderman, Batman, and Captain America were created as caucasians that does not apply to Zorro, John Carter of Mars, Casanova, Tarzan, The Shadow, Dracula, etc?

Or is it simply that comic books have become so mainstream that using them to tweak the race question is just too sexy an idea to leave aside, with the added bonus that the tweak (at least for the moment) is guaranteed to make news in highly race-conscious media outlets like the times... thereby ensuring strong sales.

Is there one particular superhero who, once he/she gets the race-switch treatment will signal the end of this cycle?
    Last edited by kev ferrara; August 3rd, 2011 at 06:13 PM.
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    My two main complaints with superhero films are:

1.) They keep killing off the villains/characters, each one getting just one film.

2.) Subsequently, once the villains are gone, you have to redo the whole series, waiting for a new generation of kids who won't be bothered by it.

If they didn't repeat this mistake so often, they could have a longer series, and the recent Spiderman films were pretty good, so it's a shame to end them - they had a good cast with only a couple minor weak points.

Thanks
    kev-Stan Lee never emplied his characters weren't Jewish. Parker could be a jewish name. I can't beleive you didn't know Tarzan was a Jewish name either. The wolves threw him a barmitzva and everything. I take it you've never heard of Lieber-Man.

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast