Sketchbook: Sketchy Sketchbook of Sketches

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketchy Sketchbook of Sketches

Hi everyone,
    I've been lurking on this forum for ages - there is so much awesomosity here it inspires the hell outta me. I'm about to step up my game and make a daily practice of drawing from life, and contributing as much as I can to this place.

I'm gonna start with one drawing from observation per day for the next thirty days and decided im gonna post all my natomy studies and reference pics as well.

Critiques for any aspect of my work are more than welcome and will be deeply appreciated.

Seems apt to start it off with a picture of me drawing myself drawing myself.
    a few of the small details that make a big difference in a likeness are off, especially in the eye placement.

(You'll have to forgive the poor image quality til i find something better to take pictures with.)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Lukifer_aurelius; August 5th, 2011 at 10:11 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

painting

Okay - not a drawing, but it is from observation. Note: I dont have a tablet or a mouse - just making do with the finger pad on my laptop.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

towels on door

I'm moving to the city soon so I will be able to do LIFE DRAWING! In the mean time, I have towels.

Last edited by Lukifer_aurelius; August 5th, 2011 at 09:56 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Reference drawing dump

Without life drawing pixelovely.com is the next best thing. I know the anatomy for these inked ones is completely skewed - i was deliberately not focusing on proportions and anatomical precision just so i could get a flow with inking the shadows coz im still pretty new at it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

master copies

Very quick studies of the masters, Frazetta, Waterhouse and Beksinski. Please don't hate me for butchering them. First two using ink brush and pencil - third one, one of beksinki's masterpieces copied in charcoal.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to CA, glad you've joined us
    Not much to comment on, except the usual thing, which is to study more.
    And if you can - draw from life, obviously.
    Besides that - keep up the good work, will follow your progress here.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stantz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the welcome man, I appreciate it. Yea totally gotta build up my daily practice.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,233 Times in 794 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice studies so far. You seem to be focusing mostly on tonal range and blending, which is good, but don't forget to develop your ability to create accurate and realistic structure. By that I mean, don't underestimate the importance of proportions and shape; it's the foundation of a drawing or painting and inaccurate structure will undermine even the most beauitful rendering. So when you're drawing, from life or from photos, try to get the drawing as accurate as you can before you move into value. That accuracy will make your drawings even more lifelike and believable when coupled with your well-rendered value.

Also, I think that drawing of the towels was a great exercise and I hope you'll continue to draw everyday objects from life. Try out different types of objects (simple cups and plates and books as well as more complicated shapes like different types of cloth, vases, sculptures, even silverware, anything around your house that looks like it would be a challenge to draw accurately) and push your ability to recreate those shapes and values and textures on paper. When you do get a chance to work from live models, this experience and practice will help you take advantage of the opportunity and draw the models accurately and believably. Remember that complicated shapes (including humans) are really just lots of simple shapes lumped together; drawing simple shapes well is excellent practice for when you get to more complicated stuff.

Really push yourself and take your work to the next level!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahh wow, thanks so much Dierat, that is exactly what i needed to hear right now. I have been avoiding putting much effort into the structure/proportions quite a lot lately and i think you are right on that that's where i should working on more.

I started a still life in my room the other day and began to doubt whether it was really going to be useful for me - thanks for dashing such silly doubts!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

drawings

Okay so following Dierat's advice i have been working on my structure/measurements and proportions. I put quite a bit of effort into the initial measuring proportion phase - but apparently not quite enough coz later down the track the top right boot looked too long and thin - gotta find a more reliable measuring procedure i think. But I also found joy in that dry process of lining everything up right - because once i got the basics down i felt i could have more fun in the rendering phase - knowing that it's already contained within accurate proportions.

Then a couple self-portraits - of me being frustrated that they dont look like me enough. Gotta ease up on myself - still need to refine my proportion placement and shapes to get the likeness more accurate.

"Out of clutter, find Simplicity. From discord, find Harmony. In the middle of difficulty lies Opportunity" - Albert Einstein

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,233 Times in 794 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukifer_aurelius View Post
    I put quite a bit of effort into the initial measuring proportion phase - but apparently not quite enough coz later down the track the top right boot looked too long and thin - gotta find a more reliable measuring procedure i think.
    Looks good to me, though I think I see what you mean that the proportions are not the same regarding where the sole starts on the back. For measuring procedure, it's mostly analyzing and comparing shapes, both positive space (the space taken up by objects) and negative space (the empty space between and around objects). Then there's the use of 'plum lines', which are imaginary lines between various points that you can use for comparison. Imagine that there's a grid floating in space between you and your subject, and you can follow the lines of the grid horizontally and vertically to see where they line up. And for proportions, you can use your pencil or another tool (like a ruler) to compare proportional relationships in your subject, then check your drawing to see if the ratios you've drawn are the same. (The same technique can be applied to angles.) Beyond that, it's just down to checking, fixing, and rechecking. If one shape or proportion is off, that will probably affect the surrounding areas to some degree, so you can check all the shapes in an area to determine exactly where the problem originates and how it needs to be changed.

Here are some pages from an old workbook I got in school that illustrate these measuring techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukifer_aurelius View Post
    Then a couple self-portraits - of me being frustrated that they dont look like me enough. Gotta ease up on myself - still need to refine my proportion placement and shapes to get the likeness more accurate.
    Again, looks good to me, though I understand that likeness can be very frustrating. In these drawings, the only thing that stands out to me is the eyes appear to be rather wide and widely-set. Typically, you can fit 5 eyes horizontally across the face, 2 being the real eyes and the other 3 fitting between and to either side. (Click to see an example.)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.