What goofy creative things do you do?
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What goofy creative things do you do?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wink What goofy creative things do you do?

In some downtime whilst waiting for feed back on a piece of commissioned work for someone, I pulled out the acrylics and a small piece of wood I found and painted a little Tiki mask on it. Now, this is the goofy part of my tale, I then took the little mask and put in the hands of my Alien Queen toy for my girlfriend to discover in the morning.

Who knew the Alien Queen to be so bashful...

What do the community members get up to when they get a spare few minutes for mischief?

(You can read more about the why and how of this little painting on my blog if you wish here)

Last edited by shrunkendesigner; August 1st, 2011 at 09:37 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shrunkendesigner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I posted this in another thread too but I found a $7 bamboo cutting board at TJ Maxx. I bought it and then took the trucks off my old cheap used longboard and put them on my cutting board. (Drilled the holes wrong the first time, oops.) It's a fun little guy! Very portable. Has the size of a skateboard but the feel of a longboard.

Then I took the deck of the old longboard, put it on my wall, and turned it into an ugly clock, heh.

I also took a cheap broken $40 violin and turned it into a clock

And I cut the Hulk out of my Heroscape box and turned him into a clock

And I also combined a CD with the matting of a picture frame to make a clock

And here's a crappy paper piano I printed off threw together when I was bored at work, haha

My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to manlybrian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Indeed! How many clocks do you need? Is the answer the number of rooms you have in your house?

The paper piano... how'd you come about putting that thing together?

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I bought a bunch of clocks from thrift stores and used their pieces for new ones. I've talked about making some to sell. These were just 'cause I had the pieces.

The piano I just printed off the Internet, cut it out, folded it up, and taped it (I didn't have any glue.) I wasn't very careful in my folding so it's a pathetic attempt but whatever, heh. If you actually put the time and effort in (unlike me) you can get some pretty rad paper models.
    http://www.creativecloseup.com/100-e...odels-and-toys

My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to manlybrian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by manlybrian View Post
    I bought a bunch of clocks from thrift stores and used their pieces for new ones. I've talked about making some to sell. These were just 'cause I had the pieces.

The piano I just printed off the Internet, cut it out, folded it up, and taped it (I didn't have any glue.) I wasn't very careful in my folding so it's a pathetic attempt but whatever, heh. If you actually put the time and effort in (unlike me) you can get some pretty rad paper models.
    http://www.creativecloseup.com/100-e...odels-and-toys
    Oh man, that link to those paper models is incredible. Scrolling down them is mind blowing! There are some very talented people out there indeed. I might look into doing this one day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The first post made me smile (: It's the sort of thing I would do. Recylcing and making them into proper clocks? Awesome And the paper models are insane too!

Whether I am cramping things up for an upcoming school exam or just randomly bored, usually the first situation, I will usually craft the most awkward things. I've done a few models completely with whitetacks, some of them stuck on the wall, but these had to be removed sometime ago ): Wish i could have taken a photo of them.

Interesting topic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't have them at the moment, but I used to make creatures and the like out of pipecleaners. A friend and I when we were younger made a five foot iguana out of them hehehe

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I....make animal costumes and masks.

(Note, this is just a head base, it needs the fake fur 'skin', ears, neck and hinges for it's jaw to help the jaw move when one opens their mouth.)

Name:  006.JPG
Views: 955
Size:  32.5 KB

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Featheredface For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Featheredface View Post
    I....make animal costumes and masks.

(Note, this is just a head base, it needs the fake fur 'skin', ears, neck and hinges for it's jaw to help the jaw move when one opens their mouth.)

...So you a furry?

Sketchbook: There and Back again Updated- 7/04/12

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loving this thread, hope more people post, stuff like this is really funky to look at and very inspiring

manlybrian How come you like making clocks so much?

Something I took up doing about a month or so ago, fairly pleased at how they turned out so far.

Name:  teavial2.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  260.3 KB

Name:  teavial3.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  243.7 KB

Name:  vials6.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  259.3 KB

Crit for a crit!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewHD View Post
    ...So you a furry?
    Yep.

I like the fursuits/masks. Just like I like the Anime fandom for it's cosplay.

Hell, I adore many different forms of costuming. I find it cool to be able to WEAR your art.

Crane- Oh! Very nice stuff. Morbid in a way, but awsome.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Featheredface For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks feathered I'd like to point out these are latex models, not real creatures lol

Your mask looks like a dog trying to climb out of a sofa after getting stuck

Crit for a crit!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Something I do A LOT when I feel like procrastinating (I am sure a lot of people do this too) is make awesome detailed sculpts with my kneaded erasers. And because of that, I try not to have too much of it when I am drawing or else I will be very distracted.
    I also play a lot of Dungeons and Dragons so I always create cool props and 3d board scenery for my players to enjoy. Such a waste of my time. Haha.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Crane View Post
    manlybrian How come you like making clocks so much?
    It's quick, easy, and enjoyable. And I was thinking about making some to sell.

My Sketchbook

22. The Following User Says Thank You to manlybrian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Crane View Post
    Thanks feathered I'd like to point out these are latex models, not real creatures lol

Your mask looks like a dog trying to climb out of a sofa after getting stuck

Oh! So, do you carve and cast them yourself or..? Either way, it's pretty cool.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is this Leonardo da Vinci action figure lying around at school that I've slowly add things too and imagine the little adventures he has. The story thus far

Leonardo was a brave orc hunter.

One day he got lost in a strange room where there was no way out. He dreams of somehow finding a way back into the outdoors.

One day he came across a strange powerful lizard and tried to tame it as he was lonely. A great battle was fought and he lost an arm, but gained a new friend.

One day he came across a purple bird who was a pirate, she had an eyepatch! They quickly became friends but the dark lord turned her into a rock. To avenge his fallen friend he set out on a journey to defeat the dark lord.

Attached Images Attached Images  

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex Eh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't have any pictures but when I go into friends houses I'll randomly take a fine point marker and draw on their fruit, eggs, and paper plates then put them back before they ever know so they crack a smile when they randomly find them =p

27. The Following User Says Thank You to JFierce For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Featheredface View Post
    Oh! So, do you carve and cast them yourself or..? Either way, it's pretty cool.
    Yes yes i do, it's fairly easy to do simple ones like the above if you area newb like me, slowly getting better and coming up with more interesting ideas. I actually have a few process shots and the above vial completed in my SB if you're interested.

Manlybrian: Thats cool, clockwork always interests me, never get time to play around with them though. I could see your clocks selling though Hoping to do the same with my vials.

Crit for a crit!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry, more clocks, heh. My mother is featuring a hand-made clock section on a wall at her cafe so I put these together for her tonight.

This one's just a cardboard plane mounted on a cellphone box. Pretty simple.

My Sketchbook

30. The Following User Says Thank You to manlybrian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess it's slightly off-topic because it's rather my papa's goofy creative thing, but anyway. Much time ago I made up character (named Mr.Hairy Fingers ) and my papa got unexpectedly interested. He even made up story he's living in taiga and tickling trees. Once he gave me a call just to ask weird questions about him. That was odd and I haven't got idea wtf he's thinking, but when I visited him I didn't know If I'm more happy or terrified because I saw most creepy thing in my life. My papa always had ability for sewing and he made for me lovely Hairy Fingers' gloves, together we made mask and took some photos. My family felt likewise about papa's work and I felt powerful while stalking them with my furry gloves, haha. Mr HF had also Russian friend; once my papa woke me up just to show me his cute&awkward drawings, and telling me he figured out how to make Russian look like he's looking in different directions by moving his "face". I my papa.
    1. Mr Hairy Fingers
    2. Outfit
    3. Drawings by papa (top left are his first, then mine on lined paper, rest are his later workz)

Attached Images Attached Images      

32. The Following User Says Thank You to hu-ha For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow that is NOT something I'd want to run into in the woods, haha. That'd freak me out.

My Sketchbook

34. The Following User Says Thank You to manlybrian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, when I'm feeling creative in my downtime it usually results in food. Cupcakes, most often. Sometimes homemade bread. And then I eat more than I should. I should start making clocks, evidently. They're way lower in calories.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by erinc View Post
    Man, when I'm feeling creative in my downtime it usually results in food. Cupcakes, most often. Sometimes homemade bread. And then I eat more than I should. I should start making clocks, evidently. They're way lower in calories.
    They are also a more productive way to spend your... pfft... Time. HA HA HA

CRANE, loving the latex things in the jar. I had something like that years ago but it was creepy in a Sid Phillips from Toy Story 1 sort of way. For about 7 or 8 odd years, I had an Action Man head in a jar of yellowed water. In the jar was also one of his shins and I think his right hand. Not sure why I had that but I think it was to teach all of the other toys that I wouldn't take any of their tom-foolery.

Shame I have no pictures of it.

Great time filling creations everyone. Come-on folks, keep them coming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like this thread. I hope others will continue to post their interesting projects

So yes! I like to play with paper. It's a way to use up old magazines and newspapers since I don't have the heart to recycle it away...yet.

Name:  mask.png
Views: 412
Size:  381.3 KB

unfinished mannequin
    Name:  manni1.png
Views: 395
Size:  603.1 KB

Dressing it up, 'cause. And she's good at holding me necklaces.
    Name:  dress-up.png
Views: 385
Size:  561.5 KB

I like making mosaic-y images from scraps of magazines
    Name:  old-tree.png
Views: 388
Size:  937.8 KB

....and then staring at the details to find odd things, like dishes
    Name:  close-up.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  475.1 KB

FourTonMantis is offline Without vision we will die Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I draw satanic ink drawings on the newspapers in the break room at work just to get people's reactions

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This thread has better responses than I could've imagined. Thanks for the entertainment

I... paint on rocks. (Not so original, I know)

FourTonMantis is offline Without vision we will die Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceinwen Fang View Post
    This thread has better responses than I could've imagined. Thanks for the entertainment

I... paint on rocks. (Not so original, I know)

I dig!

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,369 Times in 3,592 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Being a mother means I am sometimes told, "I need an Easter Bonnet tomorrow."

I wish I had taken photos of the one I did a few years earlier - with flesh eating plants. I had a week and he was told it was too scary.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since I was almost six foot tall by the age of 12 (I had a growth spurt and I've only gotten another inch and a half taller since then), my mother stopped me going trick or treating quite young, (I don't know if you've ever had a six-foot, fat kid turn up at your door and demand sweets before, but it can be pretty intimidating...) so I've had to live halloween through my younger brother by helping him make some pretty decent (IMO) costumes.
    Just the ones I can remember, he's been Iron man, Al'tier (with a working, yet dulled hidden blade), Ghost from CoD, A ghillie suit sniper (both with custom-painted bb guns (no pellets loaded, much to his chagrin))... I wish I could upload the pictures, but he wont let me, I'll ask again though.
    I'm also doing some wood carving with my uncle this week, were going to paint our creations black, sand them down so the wood shows a little and soak them in tinted wood preserver to give them that mahogany look, he's already done some totem-pole things but I haven't seen them yet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.