Drawing with Construction - Page 4
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Drawing with Construction

kev ferrara is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,150 Times in 1,700 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Copy them into your notebooks page by page. The books are filled with ways of conceiving the dynamic anatomical forms of human phizzeeOGnomee.

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What kev said. I can't make heads and tails out anything before I have tried hard to do it myself. I think anatomy and construction is as nececcary for your observations as intervals and scales are in developing your musical pitch. But yeah, that's already been said in many different ways, sooo...

Sketchbook
    Old Sketchbook
    Blog
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AndreasM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 869 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by blogmatix View Post
    It could be, but I am with Xeon here: I can't make head or tails of Bridgman's books. It is not at all clear to me what one is supposed to do with them! ;-)
    As it happens, I watched this class last week, and a great deal of it is about just that topic, reconciling Bridgeman with other anatomy books (the class used Rubins, but it could be any anatomy book). It's a good approach, and seeing as it's still on sale a pretty decent value.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by KT View Post
    Sure thing Briggsy. I think the main part of the discussion is on page 15, and maybe a few pages before that.
    Just FYI If you want to link to someone's post in a thread directly, please look to the right of the post and you'll see a #(post number) The number of course is # of post in the thread in question.

By directly clicking on it it will give you an anchored/targeted link to the post in question.

Telling someone "page 15" is unhelpful because in our user preferences we can change the number of posts displayed per page. Not everyone has 25 posts per page by default - which you can change this number in the User CP. I have 50 posts displayed per page, so your "page 15" would not make sense.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    Copy them into your notebooks page by page. The books are filled with ways of conceiving the dynamic anatomical forms of human phizzeeOGnomee.
    The problem is that his drawings are so loose and sketchy that they are extremely difficult to copy. Do I try to copy his drawings mark for mark, or do I try to copy the forms in my own way, or what? I find it very difficult to make sense of his work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought so too, untill i sat down and studied (as in carefully/anally copied) some plates from Richer's book. I was trying to make sense of the hands at the moment (still am) and decided to start with the bones, and then the muscles of the palm, fingers and the forearm. Going back to Bridgman after that, was a small revelation, because all of a sudden, his loose, seemingly arbitrary marks made sense; they were either describing bone, muscle or tendons.

Sketchbook
    Old Sketchbook
    Blog
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndreasM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreasM View Post
    I thought so too, untill i sat down and studied (as in carefully/anally copied) some plates from Richer's book. I was trying to make sense of the hands at the moment (still am) and decided to start with the bones, and then the muscles of the palm, fingers and the forearm. Going back to Bridgman after that, was a small revelation, because all of a sudden, his loose, seemingly arbitrary marks made sense; they were either describing bone, muscle or tendons.
    In other words, it is probably a good idea to first learn a reasonable amount of anatomy before working from Bridgman. It is not that I dislike his drawings, quite the contrary, I just found them of limited use as learning tools. But it looks like they are much more useful once one already has a bit of a foundation.

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by blogmatix View Post
    The problem is that his drawings are so loose and sketchy that they are extremely difficult to copy. Do I try to copy his drawings mark for mark, or do I try to copy the forms in my own way, or what? I find it very difficult to make sense of his work.
    Go with this book first. http://amzn.com/0486227103

The complete guide is edited funny and is a bit more difficult to pick up his concepts.

I went with the green book first and it made a lot of sense.

When I originally bought a Bridgman book it was Constructive Anatomy because of its popularity. However, I wasn't picking up what he was referring to. Life drawing talks about his concepts more and once I started going through that book, the other books made a lot more sense.

This blog is also helpful (credit goes to Elwell for posting this before) http://deadoftheday.blogspot.com/200...n-anatomy.html

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

kev ferrara is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,150 Times in 1,700 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Less questions. More doing.

Learn by doing. Learn how to learn without asking a million questions. Learn to trust advice. Learn to go with your gut, to go on your own volition. Go. Do.

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

15. The Following User Says Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    Less questions. More doing.

Learn by doing. Learn how to learn without asking a million questions. Learn to trust advice. Learn to go with your gut, to go on your own volition. Go. Do.
    In other words:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=223223

;-)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to blogmatix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This is a really good thread.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4