Politics budget settled (kinda)
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: budget settled (kinda)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,778 Times in 848 Posts
    Follows
    Following

budget settled (kinda)

They're only cutting a trillion dollars over the next ten years and it looks like the tax breaks haven't been cut. I'm not sure if this settles anything. This is an election year so expect things to get real petty.

Ben Stein used to be considered far to the right, but the right has moved so far past him. He explains this problem pretty well. I'd probably vote for him. EDIT: on second thought I wouldn't.

Last edited by Raoul Duke; August 2nd, 2011 at 12:43 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Anid Maro is offline Psychotic Eldritch Zeppelin Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This whole thing has been ridiculous.

First of all, there was no reason to be even arguing about a "debt crisis" at the moment seeing as the budget was written, signed, and passed back in Spring. At the core all that needed to happen now was an increase in the debt ceiling, which is the maximum amount of debt we as a nation are allowed to take on. It was a simple task, scratch out the old number and write in a new number, just like we already have three times in Obama's administration, seven times for Bush Jr., eight times for Clinton, et cetera.

Second of all, drawing from the above our current "crisis" was completely manufactured. While yes, I think it is important to control our spending, the time to have that debate is not right before we reach our debt ceiling. Congress, as a whole House and Senate with Democrats and Republicans, knew when they signed the budget it exceeded the debt ceiling. Either Congress should have passed a different budget, or it should have raised the ceiling then and there. In particular these freshmen house Republicans (a.k.a. Tea Party) have stated how they swore to never raise the debt ceiling, yet they passed a budget that exceeded that very ceiling.

Third of all, the entire debate was mishandled by Obama and the Democrats. When someone takes hostages, says "give me my demands or else", I don't think it's appropriate to give them everything, or even anything, on the list. When the Republicans tried to tie debt resolution measures to the ceiling increase, the response should've been "No, you voted for this budget, you will cleanly raise the ceiling to pay for it". When Republicans said "You will capitulate to our demands, or we will default this nation" the response should've been "No, I will 14th this budget through, I will write an executive order if I have to. I will not play your game".

What happened here, is a group of Republicans figured they could pass a budget that exceeds the ceiling and then use the required ceiling increase as leverage to push their agenda. Shamefully, it worked.

As a result, we'll certainly be seeing more "crises" down the road with Republicans saying "This, or else". That next crisis, should the deal pass, will quite likely be the 'trigger' built into the deal that states if the so-called "super congress" does not reach an agreement on how to cut spending then automatic cuts will take place including one to the tune of $350 billion cut from the military. I can already see it now, "Give us X or our military supremacy will die".

Furthermore, while stocks have climbed with the news, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the US Dollar is eventually replaced as the world's reserve currency. The whole debate marred the faith in our economic stability, particularly faith in the U.S. Gov't to honor it's debts.

All in all, this was bad, very very bad.

-My work can be found at my local directory thread.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anid Maro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes this very bad. I can empathize with Obama caving in. He got elected beleiving the country doesn't belong to him, dems or cons it belongs to the American people. The only problem is the American people are angry and devided. Espescially after the wreckless stimulus package.

Your right we can kill two birds with one stone by pulling out of the wars and cutting the defence budget in half. That's how the Vietnam war ended, but it wasn't clean. Alot of troops were killed or seriously wounded. It would be political suicide to pull that manuver. Eventually somebody needs to jump on that grenade. It's the only correct answer.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 556 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Anid Maro View Post
    As a result, we'll certainly be seeing more "crises" down the road with Republicans saying "This, or else".
    Haha yeah. Republicans: The fear party since 2001.

To be honest i woke up this morning and didn't expect the world to have ended. Just rich people getting richer, and the middle/lower income exploited a little more. Politics as usual IMO.

[edit] on the subject of Obama. I like the guy, i'll admit, i voted for him, but i really wish he would grow a fucking pair and quit with this "bipartizan" bullshit. The republicans are just walking all over him, setting him up for failure.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

or check out my: Blog

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, for those of us who work these...politicians, having my pockets effed with for a SECOND TIME!

DID. NOT. MAKE. ME. HAP-PEE!

Last edited by OmenSpirits; October 13th, 2011 at 12:32 AM.
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,579 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    For well over twenty years, nearly every politician elected in this country ran on the platform, "Elect me and I'll strip naked, slather myself in mayonnaise, and moon the entire world on camera while standing on the backs of my grinning supporters." The tradition apparently has become the norm...

I...have...never...been so proud to be a citizen of the United States...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae View Post
    "Elect me and I'll strip naked, slather myself in mayonnaise, and moon the entire world on camera while standing on the backs of my grinning supporters."
    Too bad that's more likely to happen then anything productive.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I observe the US with bemused horror. The world economy is being held hostage by the tea party, utter insanity.
    Basically it's the fall of the roman empire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    I'd probably vote for [Ben Stein]
    Intentionally? If I might quote Stein on the subject of science "science leads you to killing"....... ugh.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah your right I wouldn't vote for him. He is a smart guy. Did you ever see "Win Ben Steins Money"? I'm sure if you asked him any question about science he'd have an educated answer. I have heard him say poverty doesn't exist in America it's just lazy jealous people whining. He's a follower of Ayn Rand. I just thought it said something if he's to the left of this argument.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.