What is your method for tracking your artworks?
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: What is your method for tracking your artworks?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What is your method for tracking your artworks?

Do you have themed sketchbooks, do you scan your artworks online? I have a flickr page where I scan my artworks into folders categorized by year. So I have a 2010 folder with my works from 2010, and a 2011 folder for my works from this year. I'm working on making folders for the previous years too, as it would be interesting to chart my progress throughout the years.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I took sample photos of a few of my early stuff (by early I mean like 9 yrs old) and put them in folders by year on my external hard drive. For my digital stuff I do the same. Later I started posting some stuff on blogspot and more recently, on my CA.org sketchbook. I like the blogspot option because you can organize by labels and date while CA.org sketchbooks there is a fair amount of page-searching to do, but CA.org you get advice, so now I have this dilemma because I hate posting the same things twice xD
    I'd love to see your early works btw ..

Hey you! Yes, you! Crit me!

My CA.org Sketchbook 1 Last page Bashing much needed and appreciated!
    My daily art blog (all the junk and personal crap that my CA sketchbook doesn't have)

Feel free to shoot me a pm anytime~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudcan View Post
    I took sample photos of a few of my early stuff (by early I mean like 9 yrs old) and put them in folders by year on my external hard drive. For my digital stuff I do the same. Later I started posting some stuff on blogspot and more recently, on my CA.org sketchbook. I like the blogspot option because you can organize by labels and date while CA.org sketchbooks there is a fair amount of page-searching to do, but CA.org you get advice, so now I have this dilemma because I hate posting the same things twice xD
    I'd love to see your early works btw ..
    That's a pretty good idea. I do think posting in both places is good though, even if it is double-posting you can get feedback from different viewers.

Cool, how early back of my works did you want to see?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Much earlier! Maybe a few samples from each year, from as early as possible, would be nice xD

My daily art blog (all the junk and personal crap that my CA sketchbook doesn't have)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Much earlier! Maybe a few samples from each year, from as early as possible, would be nice xD
    No problem, I'll post some soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What works best for me is separating my art by year and categories. So it looks like this:

- assignments
    - characters
    - environments
    - vehicles
    - creatures
    - illustrations
    - sketchbook dump (sorted by sketchbook number)
    - figure studies (digital)
    - environment studies (digital)
    - film studies
    - other studies
    - personal projects

I further organize my art by placing the date at the beginning of the file name (like 2011-03-14) and sort by date: descending. That way my newest art is at the top and the old is at the bottom. It's really easy to find stuff I need because if I'm looking for a character design I know I did a few month ago it will be near the bottom of the characters folder. I also have sub-folders for sketches and psd files in case I need those.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I keep traditional originals in boxes that every few months my dad helps me put into the attic. And I date the boxes. Digital is kept online in zipped folders on rapidshare titles things like "Oct2010Art"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The earliest I could find was 2004, but thanks for suggesting this, it is interesting to see the progression. I think I improved alot around 2010/now, as I took classes with Todd Casey, Camie Davis, Joshua LaRock

2004:

Name:  Onizuka.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  40.6 KB
    Name:  Mecha.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  26.0 KB

2005:

Name:  Laying.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  11.0 KB
    Name:  pgwg.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  61.9 KB

2006:

Name:  Luna.jpg
Size:  13.7 KB
    Name:  Sodom.jpg
Size:  25.3 KB

2007:

Name:  Lexa.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  13.4 KB
    Name:  Hazel.jpg
Size:  29.1 KB

2008:

Name:  Izanami.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  31.7 KB
    Name:  Bobbi.jpg
Size:  33.1 KB

2009:

Name:  Hidden.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  51.1 KB

2010:

Name:  Red Queen.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  43.1 KB

2011:

Name:  Catherine.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  42.5 KB
    Name:  Alex.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  43.1 KB

Last edited by FlameDragon; July 31st, 2011 at 10:48 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FlameDragon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, nice! I think you are right about 2010+, I see quite a difference. It is so amazing to see the improvement throughout the years. I'm going to do one of these for my tablet anniversary OvO

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, yeah my work started improving alot once I took some classes in 2010/2011. Awesome, I'd love to see too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah xD I wanna take some classes too lol. You won't see mine around though, I'll probably hide it in my personal art blog because seriously some of my early stuff are embarrassing (not the early sketches so much, but when I first started going digital) Haha well who knows~ maybe I'll think the same thing of my work now in a few years forward.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah xD I wanna take some classes too lol. You won't see mine around though, I'll probably hide it in my personal art blog because seriously some of my early stuff are embarrassing (not the early sketches so much, but when I first started going digital) Haha well who knows~ maybe I'll think the same thing of my work now in a few years forward.
    I felt that way too about earlier works, but it at least enables people to see how far you've progressed. I even feel embarrassed looking at works from 2009, soon I'll feel embarrassed looking at my current works!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Scanning those artworks online was a great idea, my computer just crashed and I lost all the drawings from the past 6 years from my hard drive. So glad I uploaded them onto a website!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,338 Times in 1,203 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FlameDragon View Post
    Scanning those artworks online was a great idea, my computer just crashed and I lost all the drawings from the past 6 years from my hard drive. So glad I uploaded them onto a website!
    This is why you keep backups. Offsite backup (website) is a fantastic idea but you should also ideally have a local backup (external hard drive, DVDs, whatever) so when this happens you can just plug the second hard drive in and have all your stuff back in minutes.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    This is why you keep backups. Offsite backup (website) is a fantastic idea but you should also ideally have a local backup (external hard drive, DVDs, whatever) so when this happens you can just plug the second hard drive in and have all your stuff back in minutes.
    Indeed, and making sure I keep that local backup in a location where it wouldn't get misplaced. I'll do that once I get the new computer (and new scanner).

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,369 Times in 3,592 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Piles of paper works for me.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,579 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You'll see the word "piles" used a good bit by those who predate the PC. I have a room that's completely empty except for two long crossed pieces of gaffer's tape dividing the room into basically the four corners plus a bit of floor. The first is a huge pile labeled "Not Art," the second "Almost Art," the next "Art," and the last "Everything Else." Oldest stuff at the bottom of each pile, newest at the very top.

As the piles get bigger, we move to a house with bigger rooms.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    Piles of paper works for me.
    There's something strangely satisfying about slowly filling up my flat file.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have about 10 folders in my room from the past 15 years filled with my own artworks (and also art printed from online). I was looking through a few of them recently and it is awesome to see all these drawings I did in the past that I forgot about. For example, I had forgotten that around 2000 I greatly admired Adam Hughes' art and tried to draw just like him. And then that anime phase...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 730 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Fire works beautifully for the majority of stuff I churn out. I don't like to throw anything away for fear it'll turn up in the Museum of Bad Art.

Make lots, burn the weaklings. It worked for Michelangelo.

Perhaps they will call me la divina Stoat some day.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I mostly draw in sketchbooks, so a lot of my stuff is physically arranged already. I scan the better drawings and name them like visoutre, so I can quickly scroll through and see the improvement. I put them in folders according to medium and year (although the "year" folders are often more than or less than a year whenever I feel that I've hit some sort of milestone I start a new folder). I also have a large Excel spreadsheet where I record the time, medium, and sketchbook of origin of the drawings that I've timed so that I can see how many hours I've spent drawing/painting since high school and it's possible to create a breakdown of time spent by medium.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been keeping them in a Sketchbook folder on my harddrive, divided into yearly then monthly folders. I plan on backing them up into an external HD I have.

All my oldest stuff was lost when geocities shut down, since I had a lot of crap uploaded on my old website, and the rest got eliminated when my old hard drive died.

At first I thought, good, a fresh start, no crappy art to bog me down! But now I wish I could look back at the stuff I did when I was 13, 14 years old. It may have been crappy but it was mine, and I miss the unself-conscious way I used to draw. Sure, it was unskilled and absolutely chock full of errors but I would sit down, say, "I want to draw this!" and draw it. Now when I sit down and say I want to draw a full piece, I think of all the stuff I don't know how to do, and I freeze up in fear.

So keep your old arts in at least 3 places!

We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out.
    - Ray Bradbury

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.