Dissertation subject help..
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Dissertation subject help..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dissertation subject help..

So iv finished my second year of university, I begin my third and final year in about two months. It will be then that I have to begin my dissertation.

The problem is I cant think of a good subject matter for it...

I obviously want to do something that can improve me as an artist and a subject that I can fully involve my self in, as I don't want to get half way through and really struggle because I cant find the enthusiasm to carry on.

The main problem comes because it has to be quite focused, so studying something like 'anatomy' will not cut it...

I was thinking something along the lines of colour theory or lighting or even maybe something a bit more unusual such as researching how to mix various influences and styles into one area to create interesting themes and concepts.

But to be honest I have no idea. haha

Anyone had any experience with this kind of thing or have any suggestions?

would really appreciate it!

To hell with circumstances; I create opportunities.
    My Sketchbook-
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=190017

SKYPE-
    nyealexandafrayne

Website-
    http://nyealexandafrayne.tumblr.com/
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Don't you have any particular interests in art, or something you're really good at, or a favorite technique?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheers for the reply,

I could just choose something that I like doing, but I have to make sure the subject has allot of reference and information for me to research. But I also want to take the importunity to improve my work too, so its kinda a catch 22 :/

My Sketchbook-

SKYPE-
    nyealexandafrayne

Website-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't go to that type of art school. Could you elaborate on what exactly you mean by dissertation?

I get the impression from your first post that it is something that you have to research that has a practical outcome. So you're using the term dissertation loosely to mean an artistic project, and not a written dissertation?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Atreides View Post
    I didn't go to that type of art school. Could you elaborate on what exactly you mean by dissertation?

I get the impression from your first post that it is something that you have to research that has a practical outcome. So you're using the term dissertation loosely to mean an artistic project, and not a written dissertation?
    From what i have been told, its a bit of both, there is a hefty written side to it but also the practical work as a conclusion or to back up the written document.

A few of my idea's are:

Colour theory,
    Light,
    Mixing various influences and styles into one area to create interesting themes and concepts,
    Serendipity in art,
    Procrastination in art,
    The golden ratio,
    Painting skin or painting fabrics and folds etc.

But I don't i know if any of these topics would have enough resources to draw from or not, or I could realistically write that much about them.

My Sketchbook-

SKYPE-
    nyealexandafrayne

Website-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you have some idea about what you want to do as professional artist when you are done studying, it might be useful to choose a topic that is related to that. Otherwise, the more fanciful the better. ;-)

Something that just occurred to me: instead of picking one single medium to work on, you might do a comparison of the strengths and weaknesses of several different media by doing the same subject and indeed essentially the same picture in all of them. E.g. draw/paint a self-portrait in oils, watercolour, tempera, charcoal, pencil, silverpoint, digital etc. and then compare the results.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Allthough never having written a dissertation I noticed when researching for a seminar paper that the topic that seemed to not offer a lot of stuff to reasearch opend up a lot once i actually started the research. The " I dont think there is enough in this Topic " Mentality only came from my lacking knowledge of the topic. Once i started to read a bit questions opened up and those lead to more questions and it is very easy to get to questions that have not been answered before or at least not in your research material.

Like when I did the paper on the topic of Seurat every book was telling me about the characteristic use of pure colors. This became a commonplace real soon for me, because there was no explaination of what was meant with "pure color" Prime Colors? Colors from the color wheel? Pure pigments? With or without lightening them up with white because some of the dots seemed way to light for anything i would get when using the pure pigment of that color without any white. So for my broad overview of Pointilism those questions were too specific to follow them. But there was an open door leading to research of pointilistic works examining the actual dots (squares in some cases). Comparing different artist and how strict they followed the use of pure pigments and how their color usage changed over the years and works.

This is just an example. Take any subject with honest curiosity and you will find out there is more to write about them then appropriate to the definition of the project.
    So take whatever you are most interested in.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to vapour For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i dunno what type of degree you're on but for me (fine art) a dissertation involved a theme centred around an artist (but running into several) that related to my studio practice. you must have written essays up till now. this is just an extended essay for which you form your own question.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really appreciate the help and advise everyone!

@ blogmatix - I want to work in the games industry, any position any job, il even be a tea and coffee bitch if it means my foot is in the door, then i can work my way up haha

but yea any art position really, so any area of art is of interest to me if it improves my art.

And although i like your idea of different mediums and comparing results, i dont think it will be practical for me to do so, if all my work was digital then i could see it working.

@ vapour -Yes i completely agree! I guess my mentality towards it came from the idea of working on something for a whole year that i really hate or have no interest in, so i want to make sure that what im doing interests me and makes me a better artist in the process.

I think i am maybe going to go with lighting or colour theory, as i think these areas would benefit me the most, i just have to really refine them down into specif areas, as these topics are too large for one year i think.

any suggestions on a certain area of these subjects that would be the best to study?

My Sketchbook-

SKYPE-
    nyealexandafrayne

Website-

Members who have read this thread: 1