Thread: Eye Care

Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts

Eye Care

I'm curious what you would suggest for eye care. I'm sure I'm not alone in that I spend nearly all day looking at a computer screen. Even my books (nook) is a digital screen. I consider my vision to be pretty decent but my eyes do become rather fatigued at times. I looked into computer glasses but they're all colored orange, blue, or green and that would certainly not be optimum for painting digitally. What do you recommend?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Eye drops, remember to blink (sounds odd, but it helps), and semi-regular glares at something in the distance.

Thanks
    i heard lemon dilute drops help but i am not willing to try it lol
    but yea eyedrops and having an arm's distance from the screen really helped me
    dont make the computer screen too bright

just throwin that out there
    ~*the artistic journey is like giving birth, its gonna hurt and you know you suck but you cant give up because there is no such thing as "giving up" in childbirth*~

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 850 Posts
    I'm glad you asked. I'd like to know some suggestions too. Personally I just switch to traditional materials after my eyes become strained. Also utilizing the navigator allows you to sit further back from the flickering box. I've heard using a black screen and yellow text helps for reading. I'm not sure how to arrange that though. I've been spending allot of time writing on google docs, that is an extremely eye wrenching experience, even harsher than photoshop.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,066 Posts
    I make my PS background a darker, neutral gray.

If you have Win XP, you can go into your display settings and switch to the classic windows style. This makes a high-contrast setting available to you. Right click the desktop > Properties > Appearance > Choose "Windows Classic style" then "High Contrast #1" under Color Scheme. I haven't been able to do this with Vista.

Don't sit too close but don't sit so far you can't read the text. When you're surfing the interwebs you can press+hold ctrl then scroll up/down to adjust the browser zoom. I make my text big so I have no trouble whatsoever in seeing the text.

Don't stare into a glaring screen. Move your monitor if there's a glare from windows on it. Take breaks every half hour. Close your eyes and look away.

Don't look at the sun. Wear proper sun glasses outside. Wear safety glasses when chiseling, working in a lab, wood working, metal working, and soldering. Getting smoke in your eyes is bad too. Try not to do that, even if it's recreational smoke.

Try not to rub your eyes. Your hands are more than likely dirty. It's a good way to catch a cold (stragan).

If you have corrective eye-wear, use it properly. Don't leave your contacts in if you're not supposed to. Keep them clean and fresh. Keep spare drops/cleaner/lenses containers with you if possible. Keep your glasses clean.

If you get something nasty in your eye (I have) proceed immediately to the nearest sink or eyewash station. I prefer a sink because you can make the water warmish so it isn't such a shock to your eyes. But usually eyewash stations are safer because they're kept clean and away from irritants. Turn on the water and force your eyelids open. Rinse your eyeballs for about 15 seconds then take a break. Keep flushing until the irritant comes out. If not, you'll have to go to the hospital. They'll hold you down and use a mini Swiffer to dig out whatever is in there. Shit sucks so just wear safety goggles or glasses when you're supposed to.

Carrots don't make you see better, but getting the proper nutrients will keep your eyes healthy.
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Don't buy contact lenses from anyone who isn't a doctor. I bought some circle lenses for a costume, and wore them every once in a while for fun and I still can't see exactly right.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,104 Times in 926 Posts
    The best thing you can do is taking proper breaks and getting proper sleep. working in dim light/ambient light is great for your eyes. Also getting a good share of beta carotene (from carrots). I would suggest getting your pupils dilated and a regular check up should tell you if your eyes are showing signs of strain and pressure.

there is really nothing better you can do than getting proper sleep, moisture, and breaks. sun glasses are VERY important as well. if you wear contacts get the kind that are gas-permeable.

i sincerely believe that as artists we focus to much energy on SPOT HEALING. The human body is an integrated system and we need to see it as such. Nothing will replace a good diet and economy with our time. Even if we work the same hours we do on computers, if we just spent an extra hour going for a walk outside or mediating. Or sitting down at a dinner table to enjoy a proper, complete, meal we would be in far better condition physically and psychologically.
    Last edited by JakehC; July 31st, 2011 at 08:28 PM.

Thanks
    Exercise your eyes, of course.
    Looking out the window for a while is very basic.
    Also, looking sideways and than up/down, like gymnastics, is good for the muscles. Just don't strain them.

Also, on the monitor, I avoid reading white text on black background like the plague.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sady View Post
    Also, on the monitor, I avoid reading white text on black background like the plague.
    I've actually had the opposite experience, though I did switch the text to yellow. I was reading a book off an iphone and I didn't get a headache. I figured since it was less light flickering at my retnas it was better. Maybe it just saved battery life.

Stop masturbating

13. The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitze View Post
    Stop masturbating
    NEVER!

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    Fresh blueberries actually have some bennies for vision but eat too many and you'll shit like a Starling.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 394 Posts
    Exercise your eyes, of course.
    Looking out the window for a while is very basic.
    Also, looking sideways and than up/down, like gymnastics, is good for the muscles. Just don't strain them.

Does squinting at your blurry avatar count as eye exercise? Seriously thought there was something wrong with my eyes there.

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

Thanks
    Speaking of blurry vision...Does anybodies eyes get warn out from squinting after a long figure drawing session?
    There was a point when I took about six straight hours of figure drawing and then drove a cab for 12 hours and my eyes had a hard time adjusting.

Thanks
    I had an idea once to wear an eyepatch during figure/life drawing so that there wouldn't be that conversion between the eyes and you wouldn't have to keep one closed the whole time.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OldJake666 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I've actually had the opposite experience, though I did switch the text to yellow. I was reading a book off an iphone and I didn't get a headache. I figured since it was less light flickering at my retnas it was better. Maybe it just saved battery life.
    Strange. It may be something personal. For me it is like looking straight at a light bulb. I get a lot of very persistent after images if I try to read white text on black background.

Quote Originally Posted by Droid View Post
    Does squinting at your blurry avatar count as eye exercise? Seriously thought there was something wrong with my eyes there.
    What blurry avatar?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Speaking of blurry vision...Does anybodies eyes get warn out from squinting after a long figure drawing session?
    There was a point when I took about six straight hours of figure drawing and then drove a cab for 12 hours and my eyes had a hard time adjusting.
    I've had a similar experience. My main problem, however, is that after focusing for too long my contacts start to slide around on me, must not be blinking enough.

Thanks
    sady-Since I've spent this current week writing a script, I've been playing with different background/text color schemes. Since I've switched to a dark charchoal grey backgroung and a dirty yellow bold text. My eyes feel much less abused, because the contrast is a little lower. I can actually read it from across the room too.

Jake-I wish I had the goanies to rock an eyepatch in front of other people. I think your the only one metal enough to own that one.

Thanks

Thanks
    Take regular breaks, you need one every half hour or so anyway if you don't want to hurt your back.
    also I nearly had a brain haemorrhage when you said you use a 'nook'! I can't believe that anyone one uses E-readers! Half of reading a book is the solid object itself! The bending of the spine once you get a few chapters in, the feel of the pages, the dog-eared corners! A book, in my opinion, is not something just to be read, it is something to be admired for what it is. Just not having the solid weight of it in my hand would kill me. The smell of the printing ink and dusty pages is enough to cause movement downstairs for me, I cant tell you how excited I get when I get a book for christmas or my birthday, I'd take one over a video game or pack of new paints any day.
    so yeah, try reading ACTUAL BOOKS if you are worried about your eyes, any break from screens is good.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    Fresh blueberries actually have some bennies for vision but eat too many and you'll shit like a Starling.
    don't I know it.

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,057 Times in 945 Posts
    I have been starring at computer screens for almost 20 years now, almost daily for many hours. I also read (a lot), usually in bed with poor light.
    I do checkups every 2 years and i still have 100% sight.
    Lucky me.
    Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    Kinda hard to eat too many when they don't taste like anything.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Randis View Post
    I have been starring at computer screens for almost 20 years now, almost daily for many hours. I also read (a lot), usually in bed with poor light.
    I do checkups every 2 years and i still have 100% sight.
    Lucky me.
    Well, what do you eat? What is your secret?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 655 Posts
    Well, what do you eat? What is your secret?
    Quality of eye sight has a lot to do with genetics, that's why there are children who need glasses and old folks who use none.

There isn't too much you can do about spontaneous degradation of eye sight (although you can do a lot to make it worse), I think this discussion maybe more to do with preventing discomfort of the eyes.

One tip I have is to not use the computer (or watch TV) in the dark. I see so many people doing this, I don't understand why.
    This puts a lot of strain on the eyes as there's so much contrast between the darkness and light, so the irises are constantly adjusting as you shift focus.

Drink plenty of water.

Oh and eat those carrots.