More self portraits.

Name:  Scan hand 2-2.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  118.4 KB
    Name:  Scan hand.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  149.6 KB

My Sketchbook

"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark." - Michelangelo
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  DSC_5378.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  39.2 KB

My Sketchbook

"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark." - Michelangelo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent progress OakLeaf! I saw a few questions in your thread, but didn't see if anyone answered them, so I'll take a stab at it.

Re "charcoal": charcoal is very hard to control, especially if you're used to working with pencil. After several hundred hours of practice, it should start feeling a bit more comfortable.

Re "not knowing what else to improve": When it comes to learning from bargues or doing mastercopies, say you've finished a copy and can't see how else to improve it (and you don't have a teacher to tell you); scan your copy (or photograph it) and put it in Photoshop side by side with the original. Then make a new layer and put another copy of your image on top of the original. Toggle your copy layer on and off. Reduce transparency on your copy. You will see many things that are off, because turning things on and off will result in an animation of sorts. Everything which becomes animated during the toggle is what needs improvement Then turn off the overlay layer and you will see the same "mistakes" in your image which is side-by-side with the original. After a while, you won't need to do the toggle anymore, or even use photoshop: you will be able to spot the difference by looking at the images in real life.

There is no such thing as good enough when it comes to mastercopies; your mindset should be that you are making a forgery of the original. If you or another person can tell the difference between your image and the original, you have more work to do. How far you want to take it is up to you.

To sum it up: don't look for what's right in your image - look for what's wrong.

Hope this helps. Keep posting your work, OakLeaf!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey oakleaf! first off- those cast drawings of feet and eyes etc are radical, jaw dropping...makes me sad because im too lazy to perfect it like you do. Anyway, now to criticism...

Agreed with blackbridge...all of what he said is true, but i wouldnt dwell too much on your old stuff, find out what is wrong with it and move on... for your life drawings and portraits let me TRY to give you some advice...
    IIt really depends on your what your vision is for the piece, so if you want to achieve realism then measure the f#@k out of what you are looking at, combined with knowledge about the subject matter. For example: the self portraits you drew at the end are off (if it was realism) the structure isnt there, even you you clearly have some understanding of it since you drew the planes of the face next to it. If you are trying to make it look real, then approach it like a camera does, with cold science, and copy what you see NOT what you think you see. If you are trying to be stylized (btw i dont know how to stylize but i have tried a LOT) , then repeat the same process for realism, but here is the tricky part- stop giving a damn...it needs to communicate what you WANT or the essence of it will get lost...thats my opinion. Hope it helps!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  DSC_5514.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  96.0 KB

Blackbridge: Thanks for all the advice!

SarSengo: Thanks for all the compliments! I agree with you that measuring is really important but I think that it should be combined with common sense too. Lately I've been so mechanical and I do measure the crap out of things but I think there's a such thing as too much measuring sometimes.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is bargue plate number 8 finally. It's not perfect and even though I could keep polishing it for hours, I'm moving on with my life and posting it.
    Name:  bargue 8 finished .jpg
Views: 331
Size:  81.6 KB Name:  bargue 8 block-in.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  68.2 KB <<< block in
    Bargue plate number 8 ^^^
    Name:  dfgd.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  66.7 KB
    Name:  Scan costume draw.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  82.1 KB

Last edited by OakLeaf; February 8th, 2013 at 12:10 AM.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  DSC_5576.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  56.1 KB

3 week pose. I need to learn how to work faster..

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm finally done with this cast... I spent way to long on it.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stunning improvement. I went through your whole sketchbook and since you've started drawing plasters you've improved a lot. I like your love towards classical art. I saw you've been learning from Gottfried Bammes, for me he has done the best anatomy books out there for artists. I am curious do you take some art classes ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ivan4oto View Post
    Stunning improvement. I went through your whole sketchbook and since you've started drawing plasters you've improved a lot. I like your love towards classical art. I saw you've been learning from Gottfried Bammes, for me he has done the best anatomy books out there for artists. I am curious do you take some art classes ?
    Thanks! Yes, bammes is amazing, I wish someone would translate all his books into english. Or I could just learn German I guess. I'm actually a student at a classical art atelier in Seattle Washongton called Georgetown Atelier.

Last edited by OakLeaf; May 14th, 2013 at 01:40 AM.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice practices, definitely keep doing what you are doing. study values and anatomy and form usually comes on its own, keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Still-life-block-in.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  173.0 KB

Block-in for a simple still life I started. I may or may not continue and fully render this. *Edit (I actually ended up knocking the vase over on the the drawing and ruining the set up and drawing paper at the same time...) The composition sucks but whatever, I just felt like drawing something!

Name:  three-graces.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  34.5 KB

Cast project I'm working on at school. I'm doing the block-in using graphite and then I'm going to transfer onto charcoal paper and render it in vine charcoal.

Last edited by OakLeaf; May 22nd, 2013 at 02:12 AM.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, your atelier stuff is,looking great! Definite improvement over when you first started.

Quick question, when you work in pencil, do you use a range of leads (2b, HB, H, etc.), or do you mainly stick with one or two types?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by mustawd View Post
    Man, your atelier stuff is,looking great! Definite improvement over when you first started.

Quick question, when you work in pencil, do you use a range of leads (2b, HB, H, etc.), or do you mainly stick with one or two types?

Thanks! Yeah, when I'm rendering I do use a range of different leads. It just all depends on what I'm doing. For the cast drawing I just finished I used 9B to 4H. The only spots I really needed the 9B-7B was in the really dark shadows but I could have probably just used the 9B alone for that. Generally, for most of my pencil drawings I use a 6b, 4B, 2B, B, 2H and that usually works just fine.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I bought an awesome sketchpad today called Bogus Recyled Rough Sketch by Bee. It's basically like drawing on a paper gracery bag.

Name:  Self Portrait, Toned Recyled Paper 2.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  167.9 KB

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey OakLeaf I am so glad you found my sketchbook as I have really enjoyed looking through yours. You have improved so much in such a quick time due to your hard work. How great was it that you could visit the Louvre to sketch, I hope one day I may get there myself. I really like your last self portrait in your new sketchbook. I don't have any crits at the moment as I am sure your teachers are giving you the best advice. I do agree though that you shouldn't become reliant on measuring. I made this mistake when I was just self tutoring. It is far better to judge by eye first, take your best guess and then measure to check how far out you are.

I still have to break my bad habits and I am still currently struggling to see tone. I love the challenge though and it's great to meet another passionate artist like yourself. Keep posting because I shall enjoy seeing you get better and better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Oakleaf! great improvement all around! And you have my absolute respect because you haven't got bored with the bargue plates yet. I'd suggest to do more short gesture studies (I don't know if you do them) those fuckers will sky rocket your skill level.

Anyway, a few pointers on the self-portrait. I don't know if it is helpful, but hey, it can't hurt:

Name:  Oakleaf (2).jpg
Views: 258
Size:  172.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I havn't updated here in a few months. I just recently started my second year at Georgetown Atelier, second year students focus on momocramatic and warm/cool paintings so this year should be fun! D.Labruyere, thank you for that Critique! And sorry for taking months to respond.

Name:  20130613_164420.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  77.4 KB
    from last year, vine charcoal.

Name:  20130620_093902.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  100.9 KB
    From last year. I still need to finish this cast, vine charcaol.

Name:  IMG-20131017-WA0005.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  55.2 KB
    Name:  IMG-20131016-WA0009.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  64.8 KB
    Name:  IMG-20131022-WA0024.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  63.5 KB
    Some quick poses from the past few weeks.

Name:  20131023_190506.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  109.6 KB
    At my school, we don't start painting until next week but I couldn't wait! My first oil painting ever.

Name:  20131023_173748.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  128.7 KB
    Name:  20131023_194508.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  134.1 KB
    I'm really enjoying oil painting so far. It's going way better than I thought it would.

Critiques and constructive criticism welcome of course and any tips on oil painting would be awesome! Just keep in mind that I'm not working in color yet.

More stuff soon!

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi!! Thanks for dropping by my sketch pad! It's my turn now and Woooow! Definitely Wow! You improved a lot. Amazing. Classical art is indeed great. What I love about that kind of art are the sculptures and paintings. Keep your works coming! Love to see more xx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You improved a lot, no doubt you going to an atelier had something to do with it. I wish I could go to one myself but unfortunately i don't know that my country really has something like that, at least not in my area.

I'm looking forward to seeing more work from you subbed

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=271739 - my sketchbook, feel free to drop by

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    xnnmx: Thanks!

Escavalier: Thank you! I agree that going to an atelier has helped me improve a whoooole lot but there are still so much you can do by yourself to get better. I'll be sure to check out your sketchbook!

Name:  20131025_201655.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  55.1 KB
    Here's a little study I did today, just trying to get use to painting!

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  mug and spoon painting.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  215.7 KB

This was fun.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice improvement, keep it up.

Everything ive done digitally.(Crimsondaggers sketchbook) http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3582.html
    DA- http://crackedskull95.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  20131108_123132.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  267.5 KB
    Wipe-out underpainting

Name:  20131031_221317.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  191.9 KB

Last edited by OakLeaf; November 13th, 2013 at 11:21 PM.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ..whole different ballgame now from 2011 - great progress! - Kevin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 672 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I love the light in your first cast drawing. Especially the hair has really nice form with the subtle value changes happening across the surface where the light meets the dark. Keep up the hard work. Be sure to do a lot of imaginary drawing to complement the observational drawings you're doing. Imagination is a muscle of its own that needs to workout to become efficient!

Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Oakleaf it's great to see what you have been doing. Yet again you are progressing quickly and it all looks good to my eyes. My favourite is the painting of the bone. As always you leave me wanting to see more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Value-Studies.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  197.1 KB

Thanks guys! Here are a few value studies I did this week.

Last edited by OakLeaf; November 15th, 2013 at 11:34 PM.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  skull value study.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  128.9 KB

Value study of a skull.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Oakleaf you are doing really well with these value studies. Are you limiting yourself to a set amount of values to simplify what you see? I haven't got this far yet but seeing what you are doing makes me want to have a go. Great stuff.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 77