http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1312596759
    I hope half naked girls are allowed, I assume so

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    *looks at zephyri*

I can smell a favorite, yep, definitely smells like awesome
    looks pretty amazing already and I can't wait to see it colored

only thing that bothers me is that thing hanging from the dragons claw
    the problem is that the fairy functions as a size reference and therefore the thing is way too big for the fairy, too small for the dragon and way too small for a human
    I love the composition of the dragon and the fairy, I can almost hear or read the story behind it
    just that third element doesn't fit as it is now
    maybe change it so some sort of tiara, crown or necklace in fairy size?

anyway, I'm monitoring this thread
    keep the good work up guys

Thanks
    @sevira - you're probably right... The trinket was a last minute personal addition that's probably not working all that well. Will see if I can't fix it's size or placement. Failing that I'll cut it!

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 293 Posts
    I`ll try to start sketching tomorrow, but kinda have an idea.

So far, as a general comment. Mind the text, remember there is a function, that the rules need to be readable. Give them enough space, align your text, choose a proper font.

Also at time of poll i`ll be much more inclined personally to vote entries that also represent the IOW activity and what it is about rather than which looks better rendered.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JDSart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It has been brought to my attention that this doesn't say IOW enough; more CHOW.
    I was wondering what you all think?http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1312651017

Thanks
    Okay, unless I make changes or start from fresh, I think I am done, though I am of course open to advice. Tried to keep it reasonably simple with the text being easily readable.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to zimfin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,239 Times in 798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RyNSWOrLD View Post
    It has been brought to my attention that this doesn't say IOW enough; more CHOW.
    I was wondering what you all think?
    Honestly, I kinda agree with that sentiment. Your image is showing off a nice character, but it's not really telling a story or illustrating a scene. Perhaps you could consider expanding it based on the background you had in mind for this character, the kind of world she's from or what she how she spends her time (ie does she pilot space ships, kill alien swamp monsters, act as a bodyguard for interplanetary ambassadors, etc? Maybe instead of a pencil she has this giant glowing laser-powered space spray can that she uses to graffiti the side of holographic walls, who knows).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dierat View Post
    Honestly, I kinda agree with that sentiment. Your image is showing off a nice character, but it's not really telling a story or illustrating a scene. Perhaps you could consider expanding it based on the background you had in mind for this character, the kind of world she's from or what she how she spends her time (ie does she pilot space ships, kill alien swamp monsters, act as a bodyguard for interplanetary ambassadors, etc? Maybe instead of a pencil she has this giant glowing laser-powered space spray can that she uses to graffiti the side of holographic walls, who knows).
    good idea, I'll work on that

grenogs is offline im sparticus, no i'm Sparticus , no I'm Sparticus
    Thanks
    rynsworld: bobotic roobs? that could be interesting
    zephyri: cliche? maybe, but its looking good so far. Looking forward to seeing it fully coloured. Out of curiosity, how have you created your black lineing?

Thanks
    Amazing work everybody, really can not wait to see the finished products. Here is where I am in mine. I am still trying to work all the elements in with each other and I have my plan for the placement of the text. Any suggestions on how to improve?

Thanks
    trying to post the image again. won't show up on my computer please delete if the first post has image and I just can't see

Thanks
    @Grenogs - all the linework's done in Photoshop with this awesome pencil brush: Stumpy Pencil

@rynsworld You could consider having her wounded on a battle field, or hiding behind cover too... the pose kinda lends itslef to that, along with the suggestions dierat made!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to zephyri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I hate to be the dumbass that asks this, but how is the IoW any different from the other weekly challenges? If it's that an illustration has to tell some sort of narrative or story, don't a lot of the other challenges incorporate that already, if not strictly imposed on the entrants?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 748 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryansumo View Post
    I hate to be the dumbass that asks this, but how is the IoW any different from the other weekly challenges? If it's that an illustration has to tell some sort of narrative or story, don't a lot of the other challenges incorporate that already, if not strictly imposed on the entrants?
    The other weeklies (with the exception of Teen Challenge and Panels of the Week) are all concept based. That means the concept and design is most important. In it one must design a character or a creature or whatever it is for that weekly, and the design is the most important part. Especially in CHOW, there are changes being made to keep it being too illustration based. Rather than the most prettily painted picture winning, it is the one that has the best idea or concept--I think there are now going to be requirements for turnarounds of the character.

Illustration of the Week is different in that it is not limited to any one subject matter, and is more focused on illustration--composition, storytelling, getting an idea across etc. It is more of a fully finished painting rather than creating a concept for something like a video game or a movie.
    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Sonea For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast