IOW #1 - The Banner - Page 4

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: IOW #1 - The Banner

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dreoilin, can't wait for you to add color to that one!

Stjh love the idea, show me more.

tempest-haze good to see a TCer picking up the challenge. Keep rocking!

grenogs, looking sexy, in a wood kind of way.

Misplaceshippos fancy! Is that pure traditional or a combination?

SeanMcHaney that hard work is paying off, man. I still not sure how easily the text reads, though.

emerging, Manley was like "Nyctalgia, I want you to moderate the IoW" and I was like "Yes Master, Nyctalgia knows the way...". Then Andrew was like "No! The ring must be destroyed!". No, wait that's something else. Well, basically that's how it went down. Minus the ring and orcs and all that.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aksel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Misplacedhippos - I dig it, but I would have held off a bit on the digital retouching especially in the right side of the piece.
    SeanMcHaney - I'd probably add a few elements to suggest how long the guy's been in there, maybe scratches on the wall or something? Just something to make it feel a bit more like it's been lived in.
    Grenogs - Simple but great, Absolutely lovely
    Zephyri - I have no words.
    Dreoilin - I love this, although I'm left feeling a little bit like it's not really telling a story? theres a part of the drawing that starts from the tip of her paintbrush going up to the head of the dragon. I fthis is photoshop maybe you could work it so it looks like the paint coalesces into the dragon? Might be too literal for your tastes though.
    Stjh - I like it, makes me think Wall-E.

Finally buckled down and got to some sketching. So when it was cleared up to me that illustration = story, the first thought that came to mind was storytelling=campfire=father dwarf telling stories to toddler dwarves. Sure that last bit was a bit of a stretch but whatever!

When I thought of campfire what immediately came to mind was this iconic campfire scene from Chrono Trigger, which was one of my favorite games growing up. I'm therefore going to be borrowing heavily from this image, since they say you have to copy the best before striking out on your own.

Anyway! WIPS and stuff. Not sure about the placement of the text, but do let me know what you guys think!

Attached Images Attached Images    

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ryansumo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick update. I'm starting to lose steam right now so I may come back to this tomorrow. Decided to change the dwarves with bears instead, specifically lumBEARjacks! OK that's not so funny, but I thought bears would be a bit cuter and that's kind of the feeling I'm going for anyway.

Aside from some bits and bobs I might add later on (other animals maybe, more tumberjacking or camping implements to round out the scene) I'm thinking about whether it was better when the text was in white or if it's better in a sort of speech bubble like it is now. I think I like it right now but I'm concerned about whether or not its disturbing the flow of the illustration (which I've drawn in, as well as the primitive perspective I'm using in case it helps anyone).

Crits are certainly welcome!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 790 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ryansumo - I personally prefer the text white-on-black because the current version is a lop-sided with the white bubble and the lit bear on the right whereas on the left top and bottom corners are dark. And the movement in the image is more of a circle for me, starting with the tent, then campfire, then bear, then the rules, and connecting back at the tent. The four dark corners in the previous image frame the image and emphasize the circular motion.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought of adding the scratches and stuff as suggested and played around with them but could not find anything satisfying. I changed the color of the text so it pops more and acts as a contrast to the color scheme of the picture as a hole. I think I am done for now. Unless inspiration hits me now I just wait for the finals thread to open...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ryansumo: looking good so far, quite interested how this will turn out. maybe dimming the speech bubble slightly so its not so distracting from the main image, or possibly make it as part of the smoke effect from the camp fire. Also the dog is looking asleep there, maybe a single ear pointing up as if to show him listening to things creeping about in the forest.

seanmchaney: i think the type now works better, much clearer. Just make sure its big enough though, the final image is only 1000x600px approx, so if you haven't done it already, better to reduce your image now to check if your text is still readable. otherwise all that hard work could go to waist if its not.

Last edited by grenogs; August 9th, 2011 at 12:47 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    grenogs, thank you for the advice! Good thing too because the rules became hard to read. Here is the updated one, had to move the location of the rules but I think it still works.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there! I haven't done a challenge in awhile and this seemed like it would be fun. I just hope I can finish in time as I have an out of town wedding to attend this weekend.

I actually have two WIPS here.

My initial idea was of this wizard guy with the title and rules coming out of his magic lamp. I couldn't quite get it to work right (color is crap and I always overdo the glowbrush), but I figured I'd post it anyway in case anyone has feedback. Maybe I can do something else with it?

So, I then started the second one with the knight on the cliff. Still needs a lot of work, but I like it a lot more than the first one. Hopefully I can find time to finish. Anyway, let me know what you think.

EDIT: Made image file smaller

Name:  WIZARD_READING_28.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  397.1 KB

Name:  iow1-6_037.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  419.2 KB

Last edited by jpacer; August 10th, 2011 at 02:56 PM. Reason: made images smaller
    "Contrary to the belief of the layman, the essential of art is not to imitate nature, but under the guise of imitation to stir up excitement with pure plastic elements: measurements, directions, ornaments, lights, values, colors, substances, divided and organized according to the injunctions of natural laws. While so occupied, the artist never ceases to be subservient to nature, but instead of imitating the incidents in a paltry way, he imitates the laws."-Andre Lhote

Web, FineArt, Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crits and suggestions guys. I tried some of them and eventually came up with this. I think this is pretty much done rendering-wise, and what's left right now is to start adding some color. Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I couldn't stop tinkering with it, but I think I have to now because I'm not sure what else I can do. :|

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ryansumo: looking good so far, though i'm not to sure about the position of the rabbit

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aaaaah I was thinking of Mucha too! xD But then you beat me to it, Dreoilin. So now I'm going with something else that I feel is pretty iconic for illustration: 30's ads and pin-ups. I'm thinking Gil Elvgren and Coca-Cola ads. I've got a few sketches and comps in mind but I'd like your opinions on which direction would be best:

Name:  sketch01.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  196.1 KB

Name:  01.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  322.1 KB

Name:  02.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  239.1 KB

Name:  03.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  300.5 KB

Comments after dinner! Gotta rush now xD

Last edited by Rengin; August 10th, 2011 at 11:59 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Metafix - Looking good so far/
    grenogs - Yeah I guess i's a little obvious I jut cut and pasted him from the lower left corner to where he is now.
    jpacer - I think for the first one maybe it would be cool if the wizard was interacting with his lamp somehow? The second one I think just broke the rule of "image size cannot be too big..."

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ryansumo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I gotta say that "not to big and not too small" is a very vague rule to me though. Wouldn't it be better to give actual pixel limitations? Screen resolutions can be very misleading, I'm always wondering what my images look like on laptops.

Just a general comment, and my personal opinion - while it is of course an illustration challenge that we're making a banner for, it's still a banner. I feel like a lot of these images are illustrations with text tacked on. However appealing the image may be, I'd still be more tempted to go for something like grenogs, Dreoilin's or zimfin because the text has a nice framing and looks like it was incorporated from the beginning, and thus looks more like a banner that's been designed for that purpose instead of an illustration that has then been transformed into a banner. Just the way I see it though =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Metafix View Post
    I gotta say that "not to big and not too small" is a very vague rule to me though. Wouldn't it be better to give actual pixel limitations? Screen resolutions can be very misleading, I'm always wondering what my images look like on laptops.

Just a general comment, and my personal opinion - while it is of course an illustration challenge that we're making a banner for, it's still a banner. I feel like a lot of these images are illustrations with text tacked on. However appealing the image may be, I'd still be more tempted to go for something like grenogs, Dreoilin's or zimfin because the text has a nice framing and looks like it was incorporated from the beginning, and thus looks more like a banner that's been designed for that purpose instead of an illustration that has then been transformed into a banner. Just the way I see it though =)
    metafix: I have to agree with you here, the most important part of this project is the text, and the illustration around it should be considered as simply decoration/eye candy to draw the viewer in. One of the main reasons i abandoned my first idea and settled for something much more simpler. I think most people forget, (including myself) that illustration, concept art, etc... is first about design, and technique and style is secondary.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rengin View Post

I agree with regards to the resolution issue. All of the other challenge forums have specific restrictions, which i I think makes it easier for people to focus on the work and not the size specifically.

Your comment about framing the text made me think, and I might have to go back into my piece again one last time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nyctalgia: Since there's only a few days left for this project to end, i was just wandering where do we post our final images, in here or is there going to be a separate thread? Also are we expected to post all WIP's with our final image, or is it just the image itself?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rengin, different aspect ratios require different sizes, thus there can be no fixed resolution. ryansumo, the other weeklies have no set resolution, same issue, their ruling has almost the exact same wording. If you guys wonder what resolution to pick, try thinking that most monitors nowadays around 1600x1200 to 1920x1080. Rule of thumb might no be to go (much) over 1000 pixels for the longest dimension.

grenogs, finals thread is coming up now. Include two WIP thumbnails with the final in the finals thread. Saves the mod the hassle of going through the WIP thread to locate them.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Aksel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,685 Times in 642 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think the best way to look at it is if it fits on the screen without the need to scroll sideways, people like to be able to scroll up and down to see the entire image as they browse through the page. Since the banner should be a bit smaller look at the other weekly banners for reference in that area, although around 1000 pixels is a good way to look at it.
    Anyways some really cool stuff this round, guys! Keep it going!

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    zephyri
    I want dragon !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Might not have time to actually finish this, but here's what I've come up with so far.

Last edited by Dorabletoon; August 11th, 2011 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Attachment issues

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nyctalgia - I always thought that when I post an image on the forum, it will always appear the same size for all monitors... So if I post an image at a certain size on my 1440x900 resolution monitor, it will appear smaller on a higher res monitor?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep, unless the forum scales it automatically.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Something I started too late...

The concept is meant to be a guy who's shadow is being cast on the door is waiting for something to come through, possibly a vampire or something. Its not too clear at the moment though. The writing is just slapped in to see how it fits on the page!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    apologies nyctalgia, you're absolutely right re: the sizes. I was actually thinking of another forum i used to participate in.

Pretty much done, posting in the finals now. Good luck everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nyctalgia, exactly! With all the different resolutions I figured it would be a good idea to put some general pixel width in the rules to assure most people would be viewing the image without scrolling sideways. 1000 px would be perfect in that regard =)

---
    Here's an update: still a WIP, but it's getting there. Been playing some with layout after I got too tired to work on the hands (still gotta find some good ref for those, don't even know what I want to do exactly with her raised one ;_; suggestions welcome!) I'm going to try more of a box tomorrow to give it even more of a 30's/40's/50's ad look.

Did a little Gil Elvgren reference to the way he referenced his models inside while painting them as sailors or travellers or on sandy beaches. And... some Coca Cola ad flavour in there!

Name:  01d.jpg
Views: 916
Size:  517.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dorabletoon: looking good so far, hope you get this finished in time, i think it has lots of potential.
    mr gadbury: since what's behind the door is a big part of the image, maybe some kind of glow behind the door would help to focus in that direction,a bright white or even a deep red. Also some mist along the bottom just to give it more of a supernatural feel.
    Rengin: looking good, i've got a soft spot for these 50's style illustrations lately, so i'll be interested to see how this turns out. Maybe she could be holding a paint brush between her fingers, as if it was some kind of stylish cigarette holder. It may look slightly cheesy, but being a 50's style image i think you could get away with it.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grenogs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's an update

Thanks
    Thanked 1,435 Times in 747 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Mr Gadbury: That's looking really nice, but I think you should make it more clear that that is table in the foreground with the objects on it. Right now just looking at it quickly one does not notice that they are on a table; it appears to be either some very large objects on the floor or a very small door. Perhaps changing the shadow so that its shape is more broken up and the table becomes more clear.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Sonea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mr. Gadbury: Though I don't have much of a problem with the desk, what you could do to make it more obvious that it's a desk is maybe add a bit of canvas and show the front side of it, with little drawers in it to show it's an oldschool desk mabye =)
    grenogs: Thanks! I think a lot of people still have a soft spot for these kinds of illustrations xD I know I do! I thought about having her holding a paintbrush too but I was wondering if that would be logical since she's the model here, not the painter. Then again, I could also add a little travelling easel and make a painter paint a painter... hmmmm....
    jpacer: I'm probably super late with this, but I have to say I like the wizard better atm. If you're working on the one with the knight I suggest that you move the stone more to the right or left of the knight. Right now the composition is very vertical (which might be intended) but I personally think that placing it more to the top, optically next to the knight, it could create a lot of depth to the image.

Last edited by Rengin; August 13th, 2011 at 04:37 AM.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Rengin For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.