What are some of the art books that have inspired you or helped your work? - Page 14

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guys stay on topic - books.
    tshirts - There is no fast way to learn painting, there're a ton of books in this thread some of them can help you but you'll be experimenting techniques no matter what and that takes a lot of time.
    Alexander19 - i think your teacher has a better idea of how the layout should look like - as for subject: different gods, buildings, talismans, mummies, statues, writing (hieroglyphs), war.
    If a subject like egyptian art doesn't inspire you you're in a lot of trouble.

Some of my books i studie from:
    Atlas of the animal anatomy

Anatomy for the artists

John raynes has a couple of fun books.
    Vicenc b Ballestar and Jordi Vigue if you like to try different techniques (pastels, crayons, colorpencils)

Last edited by Uziel; November 3rd, 2009 at 04:47 AM.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't own a huge library of art books yet, but the ones I have are really nice.

1.Norman Rockwell's "my adventures as an illustrator"
    2."Norman Rockwell's America"
    3. Spectrum 13
    4.OOP 2
    5.several illustrators&designers annuals
    6.Ralph Steadman's "Sigmund Freud"
    What are some of the art  books that have inspired you or helped your work?
    7.All Graeme Base books
    8.(I don't own this one, but am on the lookout for it) Tapestry: The Paintings of Robert E. McGinnis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been slowly building my library based on recommendations from teachers. Here's a couple of my favorites so far.

Freehand Drawing Self-Taught - Authur L. Guptill
    - This is an old old book but I think there are still some used ones up on Amazon. It seems to have a large focus on graphite, despite it's subtitle "With emphasis on the techniques of different media". The first half of the book is focused on instruction - teaching you how to hold your pencil correctly, how to make different strokes, and other important concepts, while the second half of the book offers examples of drawings. Almost all of the examples involve architecture, so they make excellent copies for the aspiring environment artist.

The Head - Andrew Loomis
    - This book gives a very practical approach to drawing the human head. It shows correct proportions and offers a wealth of drawings to copy. The Figure by the same author has also been recommended to me, though I don't own it yet.

Drawing Scenery: Landscapes and Seascapes - Jack Hamm
    - This book has some of the best exercises I've seen in a drawing book. My favorite is a two-page spread with 20 different drawings of the same tree, each in a different style. This one totally changed my perspective on how to achieve different effects by holding my pencil differently.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to B3CK For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry about this but I have just stumbled across this thread and havn't posted anything useful here....... I am very sorry and will hang my head in shame!

Anyhow We are talking about inspirational books here and so here are some of my best!

Painting the drama of wildlife step by step - Terry Isaac - he goes on about the use of acrylic but I have found the techniques or principles shall we say transpose to digital.

Icon A retrospective by the grand master of fantastic art - Frank Frazetta - Love this one to death for more reasons than I can tell its truely inspirational.

Rough work concept art, doodles and sketches - Frank frazetta - just loads of ideas in a book, very good.

The fantasy artists figure drawing bible - Matt Dixon - good starter book has ready to draw characters and step by step rendering techniques.

Illustrating childrens books, creating pictures for publication - Martin Salisbury - This may seem like an odd choice but if you plan to make money from art and illustration then you need to know what editors and such publishing industry folks need or require. Bear in mind that a lot of the people you submit to dont do art themselves. This book takes you through the whole process, from concepts, leaving room for the words, structure and professional approaches.

D'artiste digital artists master class - Authors various and massively skilled - all this range of books from ballistic publishing are simply brilliant for inspiration and technical help. Go to the website and look through the books (www.BallisticPublishing.com).

Fantasy art workshop - John Howe - The mans a genius and a modest one too, the book has some good advice and lots of technique and tips, it's a must have!

I shall finish with a very odd one, I found this when trying to put some childrens book characters in an era that was simpler to take the story out of modern times and add a little more oddness (if that's the word) to the story.

Malcolm Root's Transport paintings - text by Tom Tyler - this is like a snapshot of life in the 1950's and it was stupidly cheap too in a book sale. Go on try something different get away from elves and dragons for a while.

Ok that is a selection of my books, I hope you find them interesting and as inspirational as I still do!

Happy new year you lot !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't have a lot of books, but I hope to have a good collection in the future But for now, I have these three books that have helped me with my technique, as well as good refs for inspiration and thinking!

The Vilppu Drawing Manual

Illustration Now Vol. 3

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by The Iconoclast View Post
    "The Art of Warcraft"

No seriously...just looking at the seemingly raw sketches and some of the more finished pieces and seeing the commentary and the creation of a game world is inspiring to me. It all depends on what stimulates you, man.

I also like to browse KChen's thread and some stuff from strych9ine over at Photoshoptechniques.com don't tell him I said that
    "The Art of Warcraft" it's my favorit

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Figure Drawing For All It's Worth
    Drawing the Head & Hands

Mega Man: Official Complete Works
    anything with Ayami Kojima's art
    Faeries
    cheesy video game box art (yeah I have a weird sense of humor but for some reason it does make me wanna draw. probably 'cause I'm like "Man that Mega Man 9 box art is cool and funny, I wanna do that)

And, while not exactly books, I have to mention old B-movies. Don't ask why, it just seems to mesh well with some other interests.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Rubens after Michelangelo, everyone else after Rubens...

For the start, do we all realize that excellent art skills can be gained only after many hours of work? At least 8 hours per day for studying, if you want to become a professional.
    If not - then it doesn't matter.

Next, just a reminder. During many years Rubens was copying Michelangelo. Again and again. And again. Endless learning process. Then HE became a Master. Then others were copying him next to Michelangelo.
    The answer is easy.

Buy big format, great quality books of Art Masters of the past - drawings by Michelangelo, Rembrandt, Rubens, da Vinci, Bronzino, Caracci, etc, etc.
    (Just make sure it's not Dover-like publications. You need the best quality to make good copies. If it's "10 bucks or less" - it's for trash.)
    And you don't need any text for this kind of books. Images only. The higher quality the best.

Of course, I can't leave out of attention the publications by the Academy of Arts. Russian Academy, of course, as I don't know any other Academies which publications deserve any professional attention.

1. Fundamentals of Drawing, V.A. Mogilevtsev
    The only publication on academic drawing. Simply presents the drawing SYSTEM as it was taught by the art academies until the 20th century. And is still taught ONLY at the Russian Academy (and partly in China, thanks to many Chinese students who studied and study in Russia).

2. Academic Drawings and Sketches, V.A. Mogilevtsev
    Leading professor of the Drawing Department presents drawings and sketches made by the best students during his 15 years of teaching at the Academy. Excellent guide for academic drawing perfection.

3. Drawings, Nikolay Blokhin
    The best drawings made by one of the best draftsman. A true follower of academic traditions. Study his works, thus improve your drawing skills.

4. Paintings, Nikolay Blokhin
    See #3, but this time - all about academic painting.

There are also Khamid Savkuev, Yuri Kalyuta, and others - who make outstanding artwork and teach at the Academy.

For those who prefer to see things on computer screen - here are some links:

- Khamid Savkuev

- Nikolay Blokhin

- Yuri Kalyuta

Yes, my message is a bit harsh, but it frustrates me to see thousands of junkie "art" books on the shelves of people who want to dedicate their life to the art.

And last thing to mention.
    Be careful with what you study and by whom you're taught.
    I was a witness of master classes taken by foreign "professional artists" at our Academy. I've seen their frustration and irritation when they simply didn't want to follow instructions,... because they got used to completely different system. Their drawings were... "ok", but too far from being great or even simply good. And it's not just your hand that develops bad habbits, it's your mentality, which later on will be very difficult, if not impossible, to change.

But if you do all this only for fun - please ignore everything I've just said. :)

Last edited by Book Guru; April 17th, 2013 at 04:13 PM. Reason: website links have been changed

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    THE WAR OF ART

by Steven Pressfield.

Read it now and thank me later.

I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't see this book on here, if it is i apologize, but this book is amazing and think everyone should take a look at this one. Has everything in it and it breaks down everything pretty good. It explains everything about the muscles and how they work and explains how the surface forms of the body will look when certain muscles are in use. Hope it helps you all. Enjoy.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some of these are new, and a few iv had for a while id say all are worth buying, but i may give proper reviews after iv had a good gander at them..

1-imaginative realism
    2-mechanika
    3-digital painting techniques volume 1
    4- bridgman, constructive anatomy and 100 hands
    5- The art of uncharted 2
    6- burne hogarth, dynamic figured drawing & dynamic wrinkles

x

To hell with circumstances; I create opportunities.
    My Sketchbook-
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=190017

SKYPE-
    nyealexandafrayne

Website-
    http://nyealexandafrayne.tumblr.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AMAZING.

I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jetpack42 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi all

I just thought That would add some of my inspirational stuff in here too, Theres one book that I used to sneak into the school library to look at that I always wanted a copy of and that was mechanismo with a lot of jim burns stuff in it got me into loads of trouble. Not to mention inspirational words like stop dreaming son, get a job like the rest of us.
    Name:  01 MECHANISMO COVER BY JIM BURNS.jpg
Views: 3062
Size:  82.2 KB
    So for sources of inspiration we have lightship and Imago by jim burns
    Name:  lightship.jpeg
Views: 2963
Size:  7.8 KB
    Name:  imago burns.jpg
Views: 3149
Size:  109.6 KB
    theres the art of the brothers hildebrandt, I spent hours pouring over this one.
    Name:  artbrothershildebrandt.jpg
Views: 3116
Size:  61.5 KB
    I have two Frazetta books as well that I sit and stare at for hours at a time and bemoan my fate to be merely average in the art world, these are
    Name:  icon frazetta.jpg
Views: 2958
Size:  24.8 KB
    Name:  rough work.jpg
Views: 3160
Size:  34.8 KB
    all of these are really good sources of inspiration and dreams, (pah! what did school know!!)

and a reasonable source of anatomy pics and advice is
    Name:  anatomy for the artist.jpeg
Views: 2866
Size:  9.7 KB

Thats the only reference type book I own the rest is just stuff to fire my imagination.

So what do you think so far ?

I do have others but I thought I might be getting boring so I stopped.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bold visions is pretty useful. But usually I prefer spending money on Spectrums or exposés. You can learn QUITE A LOT by observing the contemporary illustration masters

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Rimmer after Michelangelo, everyone else is secondary

Hello everyone. I'm new here on this message board and I couldn't help but throw in my 2 cents in this discussion.

Perhaps the most inspiring book in my collection is a massive volume that weighs about 20 pounds entitled "The Complete Work of Michelangelo."
    http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$%28KGrHqV,!isE1Mz%28W%28nlBNZP-0dBEg~~0_3.JPG

I agree with Book Guru when he says, "Buy big format, great quality books of Art Masters of the past - drawings by Michelangelo, Rembrandt, Rubens, da Vinci, Bronzino, Caracci, etc, etc." In fact, this is most massive art book in my collection and is the definitive source for everything that survives of Michelangelo's work.

Another great book that really taught me the fundamentals of artistic anatomy is "The Master Class in Figure Drawing" by Robert Beverly Hale. The subtitle on this book reads "The Art Students League lectures of America's greatest teacher of figure drawing and artistic anatomy." Another one of his books is titled "Anatomy Lessons from the Great Masters" and is another indispensable reference on the subject artistic anatomy.
    http://images.bookbyte.com/isbn.aspx?isbn=9780823030149
    http://images.swap.com/images/Books/10/0823002810.jpg

Possibly one of the greatest and most forgotten books on artistic anatomy is William Rimmer's book Art Anatomy. It's impossible for me to find a picture of the cover for some reason and I think the book is out of print. My copy is a 1962 edition.

And the best photographic reference for figure drawing from life has to be Eadweard Muybridge's book "The Human Figure in Motion." It's an absolute classic and should be in every serious draftsman's library.
    http://preview.filesonic.com/img/99/db/fc/1797531.jpg

In my opinion, these are the most important books on the subject of figure drawing and it's important not to overwhelm yourself with a vast collection of art instruction books from all the masters out there, otherwise you'll never be able to get through them all in a lifetime. The secret to success as a draftsman is to copy from the masters over and over. And then recopy the more challenging compositions involving clusters of figures piled on top of each other--the paintings of Michelangelo come to mind here. I could have mentioned books on Raphael, Leonardo, or a more contemporary artist like Burne Hogarth but Hogarth's work is too stylized and exaggerated.

Anyhow, I just wanted to mention what I thought was the 5 most important books for me on the subject of figure drawing and artistic anatomy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a mil for all the recommendations you guys. My bedroom bookshelf will finally be occupied!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just stumbled on a book called age of innocence the romantic art of jeffery jones signed and in mint condition at a used antique bookstore I never heard about this artist so I read a few pages and wow inspiration left and right hit me so I decided to grab all of my old books I dont read anymore and traded it in for the book a good fucking deal

another good art book is blade of the immortal by hiroaki sumura and the skillful huntsman by mike yamada

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Blade-Immo.../dp/1595825126

http://www.amazon.com/Age-Innocence-.../dp/0887331858

http://www.amazon.com/Skillful-Hunts.../dp/0972667644

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    did a quick search and didn't find this, so....

Banksy: Wall and Peice

at best it is inspiring; at its worst, subversive. or is it the other way around? not sure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    David Chelsea's book is a MUST for anyone who's having trouble with perspective in general. It goes into full detail and makes perspective very easy to understand especially if you enjoy the way Scott McCloud explains his stuff in his books since David uses his comic book style method of explaining things:

This book was also a huge help to me. Found it at my local library and it's amazing how much anatomical material this book covers. For instance, things like hands, feet, arms and torsos all have their own chapter. It's a pretty thick book, but it's definitely worth hunting down if you're looking for an all-in-one reference for human anatomy:

DA profile

My Sketchbook

"The one thing the world will never have enough of is the outrageous." - Salvador Dali

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ernest Pignon

Hello guys,
    I joined CA some 20 minutes ago :-) just discovering the features here.
    on my youtube channel I have some book browse through videos and hopefully I will make some more, as books are one of my treasures.
    Here's one video about a French artist which I like a lot, Ernest Pignon
    http://youtu.be/W-4IaeBPpkE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just got a shipment from Hong Kong with 2 books of Kent Williams art -- his latest Opthalm and something called Goya View Series vol 1.

Name:  Opthalm.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  420.0 KB

Name:  goya.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  38.9 KB

Trust me, unless you've seen it in person, you've never seen his work presented so beautifully!! These are both huge books - 12" x 12", with astonishing printing quality.

Opthalm contains sketchbook work and his big paintings, while the Goya series is like a peek directly into his personal sketchbook - there's a good deal of overlap in the 2 books but also several excellent works in each not found in the other. The Goya book being paperback, I'm thinking of ordering another copy so I can separate one to put prints up on the walls.

"Figure drawing prepares you for painting at a high level" - Jeff Watts

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like different type of artwork with different art materials. And this information provided by you guys is really helpful to me. i would love to check these books. thanks for sharing.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook