What are some of the art books that have inspired you or helped your work?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: What are some of the art books that have inspired you or helped your work?

Threaded View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question What are some of the art books that have inspired you or helped your work?

What are the art books that have inspired you or helped your work?
    I know that there are a lot of you guys that are as obsessed with adding good art books to your library as I am, so was wondering if you have any recomendations.

I'll start it off; "Hawthorne On Painting"? . It's just a small little book with notes from some of Charles W. Hawthorne's classes( a contemporary of William Merit Chase, I believe) . It's got sections on the outdoor model, "still life", landscape, indoor model, and water color. It's super cheap ( under 10$), very small, but very dense, and a little zen.

Also Robert Henri's "The Art Spirit", it's in the same vein as Hawthorne's book. Both are old school but the thoughts still apply and you should be able to find them at used bookstores.

Finally in a more straight forward vein, I like "Proven Strategies For Creating Great Art " by Dan McCaw, great stuff very straight forward and informative about painting in oils, but the lessons apply elsewhere as well.

I'll try to bring in pictures of these books when I get a chance.

Alright I'm back, here you go.

Last edited by Bojee; May 24th, 2004 at 02:51 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bojee For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 160