What are some of the art books that have inspired you or helped your work? - Page 8

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Thanks
    Egets- Thanks so much for the contribution- welcome to the boards.

"absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and keep what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

Bojee's Monkey Brain
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=29869&page=54
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I got a bunch of books recently and I saw Egets da vinci book which is one that I also got here are some of the others.

I got all these except for the mini Da Vinci book at the half price books store for like 5-10$ a piece. I have only read the da vinci ones including the one Egets posted and the Michealngelo one.

joemadfan.com I run this site

nathensprings.net coming soon!

My Sketchbook updated 3/27/06

Thanks
    thanks Bojee ! Hi Madman! and I have also once bought calligraphic set before but there was no lengthy book involved just a quideline how to do it and sample fonts

look I dont know why I love you I just do

Thanks
    Heh, just when I think this thread has died you guys revitalize it. Thanks, hopefully I'll come up with some more contributions myself.

"absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and keep what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

Bojee's Monkey Brain

Thanks

Just picked up this up, the art quality is very good, though not outstanding with the exception of a couple artists featured in the book. However the designs of the armors are incredibly elaborate.

GW's artwork has progressed a long way since 1997.

Thanks
    Man, I'm not sure I'd have the patience to do something like that, thanks for posting it Hito.

Bojee's Monkey Brain

Thanks
    What an awesome thread! Of course I get in on stuff late as always, in this instance it's good. There's a ton of stuff I didn't know about, and a bunch of stuff posted that I own also.

This was invaluable to me at an early age in developing figure drawing skills:

Here's a few more I have too:
    Figure Drawing List

Now I'm off to do some shopping for more books!

Thanks
    This book isn't out yet, but since they're not being sold in stores, I thought I'd give people heads up on a couple of these.

The first one is the Art of Oddworld book for their 10 year anniversary, which you can pre-order online, and see thumbnails of all the pages...

http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/oddworldinhabitants/

The second is by a person I watch on Deviantart, and I think I ought to put a link in for them, because they're really amazing at making monsters... reminds me of Tim Burton's style a lot.

http://my.lulu.com/content/73384

Last edited by Sapphire; October 7th, 2004 at 04:54 PM.

Thanks
    Whoa Abe is that old......damn

"If you only heard one side of the story, then you must be deaf in the other ear." - Sok N. Wett

Sok's Sketchbook Thread Last Updated November 25

Thanks
    Abe's Oddysee was published in 1997, but I guess the company actually started in 94.

Thanks
    i would just like you all to know this one special point - YU SUK!

I have now lost $60 + dollars to Borders Books!!! /cry

seriously though....great stuff :o

-TeT-

Keep your dream alive - Feed it daily!

"The true essence of swordsmanship is like the willow blowing in the gentle breeze" - Tesshu (someday my art will be like this)

website

Mah Sketchbawk!

Thanks
    Don't know if I've mentioned this one before but I was mentioning it in my sketchbook so I thought I'd bring it up here to. Great stuff.
    Bill Sienkiewicz

Bojee's Monkey Brain

Thanks
    Here is a book I just got off of amazon still waiting for it in the mail. Sounds like it might be a good one it got all 5 star ratings.

Bojee or anyone know of some books on animals that deal with the anatomy of animals, most seem to deal with structure and not bones and muscles. I have the Jack Hamm one, but it doesn't seem to go that indepth about anatomy. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    One of my friends just bought this book an I have to say that it is by far the most comprehensive book on animal anatomy

Thanks
    Thanked 16,669 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Madman!
    Bojee or anyone know of some books on animals that deal with the anatomy of animals, most seem to deal with structure and not bones and muscles. I have the Jack Hamm one, but it doesn't seem to go that indepth about anatomy. Any suggestions?
    Speak of the devil! I just metioned this to someone on another thread. It has a lot in common with Peck's human anatomy book in terms of style.

Last edited by Elwell; October 15th, 2004 at 03:12 PM.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    wow thanks guys! that was hella fast.

Thanks
    Here is a book I just got off of amazon still waiting for it in the mail. Sounds like it might be a good one it got all 5 star ratings.

Looks like you got it covered but I just saw the one you got on order and it looks pretty good supposed to be a standard for animators.

Bojee's Monkey Brain

Thanks
    Just saw this book today, very excited about this movie.

Bojee's Monkey Brain

Thanks
    I got that book last week bojee it's great. It's more of graphic design and some stuff that looks like paper cutouts and pasted together. If you got the other art of pixar books then you'll probably like that one.

like I mentioned in my thread about the Iain McGaig site being started that this book by Terryl Whitlatch called Katurran Odyssey finally came out. I got it and it's got some amazing art.

and after those other animal books were mentioned I think this book is a great source for animal anatomy too. I got that book I mentioned and you're right bojee it's more geared to animators, it's a pretty good book. Hopefully I can get those other books on animal anatomy mentioned I really want to start learning as much as I can on anatmoy animal and human.

also Bojee I see you're from Seattle? I live in Tukwilla.

Thanks

also Bojee I see you're from Seattle? I live in Tukwilla.
    You should come to the seattle sketchgroup sometime.

Bojee's Monkey Brain

Thanks
    Oh snap Madman! lives in Tukwilla, the same Madman! that runs joemadfan.com. Awesome dude, yeah you should come down to the sketchmeet sometimes.

"If you only heard one side of the story, then you must be deaf in the other ear." - Sok N. Wett

Sok's Sketchbook Thread Last Updated November 25

Thanks
    Yep I'm the same dude. I'll have to reread the thread to see where and when you guys are doing it. Plus I have to pull myself away for San Andreas...I Just beat it that's why I'm on the net now. Is there a model or like just hanging out type thing? I see there was a pizza party or something..I love pizza! I go to the Daniel smith figure drawing on monday and wednesdays so not sure if it's on the same night or not. Is the info still in the Washington thread or has it moved?

Thanks
    Hurrah! for The Incredibles!

here's another

This is nice one. Photo Portraits taken by Hector Acebes journey through Africa form 1948, 1949, and 1953

Thanks
    Yep I'm the same dude. I'll have to reread the thread to see where and when you guys are doing it. Plus I have to pull myself away for San Andreas...I Just beat it that's why I'm on the net now. Is there a model or like just hanging out type thing? I see there was a pizza party or something..I love pizza! I go to the Daniel smith figure drawing on monday and wednesdays so not sure if it's on the same night or not. Is the info still in the Washington thread or has it moved?
    Sketch night we just all hang out and draw together but there's also a drawing session saturday and sunday morning and a painting session monday night.

Hito- cool book. Thanks for sharing.

Bojee's Monkey Brain

Thanks
    I am quite surprised that with all the great suggestions that have already been made, that my 3 suggestions weren't mentioned but these books are definately worth a look:

The 1st is "The Drawings of Heinrich Kley", published by Dover Books (isbn# 0486200248). This is not an instruction book but rather a collection of very well done and quirky pen & ink drawings. Good for ideas and inspiration. The drawing to the right of the cover is one of my favorites:

Next is "An Approach to Figure Painting for the Beginner" by Howard K. Forsberg, published by North Light Books (isbn# 0891340238). This may be out of print. What connected with me was his approach to figure construction:

Finally there is "Figure Drawing Without a Model" by Ron Tiner, published by David & Charles, (isbn# 0715306464). The title is deceptive as he recommends working from a model to familiarize yourself with the human figure but then gives you guidelines for reconstructing a figure in your drawings when a model isn't available:

Mark Hannon
    Art Direction & Design
    Online Portfolio

Thanks
    figure2- Great selections, actually heinrich keys book was mentioned earlier but definitely worth mentioning again. Have you seen the second one?? I don't think they've republished it yet.The other 2 look good too, especially the second one. Thanks a lot for the suggestions.

Bojee's Monkey Brain

Thanks
    i`ve actually got the Ron Tiner book.....very good, lots of interestiing ideas for getting the figure up and running to start with....establishing pose and weight etc.....very underrated

krispee

Thanks
    ...actually heinrich keys book was mentioned earlier but definitely worth mentioning again. Have you seen the second one??
    I own the 2nd book from when it was originally published. The title is "More Drawings by Heinrich Kley." The isbn # is 0486200418. If you do a search you might be able to find a few copies still being sold.

As a matter of fact... http://isbn.nu/0486200418

Mark Hannon
    Art Direction & Design
    Online Portfolio

Thanks
    Thanks, I have both of them already. I picked up the other 2 that you mentioned though,thanks for the tip. That's a cool site you had the link to, I've never use them before.

Bojee's Monkey Brain

Thanks
    okay cool Bojee I will have to look into it more, sunday sounds like the only day I could probably go.

These have already been mentioned elsewhere on the site, but I thought they should be posted again. I just got...

the Art of Halo

and Spectrum 11 just came out and I got that.

The Art in Halo is great, it's got a lot of art and a lot or renders. If you post on these boards and are a fan of Halo...well then it's a must have.

Spectrum 11 I'm guessing most people here know what it's like...but is now bigger.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 124