Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

Thread: What are some of the art books that have inspired you or helped your work?

Thanks
    Bold visions is pretty useful. But usually I prefer spending money on Spectrums or exposés. You can learn QUITE A LOT by observing the contemporary illustration masters
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Rimmer after Michelangelo, everyone else is secondary

Hello everyone. I'm new here on this message board and I couldn't help but throw in my 2 cents in this discussion.

Perhaps the most inspiring book in my collection is a massive volume that weighs about 20 pounds entitled "The Complete Work of Michelangelo."
    http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$%28KGrHqV,!isE1Mz%28W%28nlBNZP-0dBEg~~0_3.JPG

I agree with Book Guru when he says, "Buy big format, great quality books of Art Masters of the past - drawings by Michelangelo, Rembrandt, Rubens, da Vinci, Bronzino, Caracci, etc, etc." In fact, this is most massive art book in my collection and is the definitive source for everything that survives of Michelangelo's work.

Another great book that really taught me the fundamentals of artistic anatomy is "The Master Class in Figure Drawing" by Robert Beverly Hale. The subtitle on this book reads "The Art Students League lectures of America's greatest teacher of figure drawing and artistic anatomy." Another one of his books is titled "Anatomy Lessons from the Great Masters" and is another indispensable reference on the subject artistic anatomy.
    http://images.bookbyte.com/isbn.aspx?isbn=9780823030149
    http://images.swap.com/images/Books/10/0823002810.jpg

Possibly one of the greatest and most forgotten books on artistic anatomy is William Rimmer's book Art Anatomy. It's impossible for me to find a picture of the cover for some reason and I think the book is out of print. My copy is a 1962 edition.

And the best photographic reference for figure drawing from life has to be Eadweard Muybridge's book "The Human Figure in Motion." It's an absolute classic and should be in every serious draftsman's library.
    http://preview.filesonic.com/img/99/db/fc/1797531.jpg

In my opinion, these are the most important books on the subject of figure drawing and it's important not to overwhelm yourself with a vast collection of art instruction books from all the masters out there, otherwise you'll never be able to get through them all in a lifetime. The secret to success as a draftsman is to copy from the masters over and over. And then recopy the more challenging compositions involving clusters of figures piled on top of each other--the paintings of Michelangelo come to mind here. I could have mentioned books on Raphael, Leonardo, or a more contemporary artist like Burne Hogarth but Hogarth's work is too stylized and exaggerated.

Anyhow, I just wanted to mention what I thought was the 5 most important books for me on the subject of figure drawing and artistic anatomy.

Thanks
    Thanks a mil for all the recommendations you guys. My bedroom bookshelf will finally be occupied!

Thanks
    I just stumbled on a book called age of innocence the romantic art of jeffery jones signed and in mint condition at a used antique bookstore I never heard about this artist so I read a few pages and wow inspiration left and right hit me so I decided to grab all of my old books I dont read anymore and traded it in for the book a good fucking deal

another good art book is blade of the immortal by hiroaki sumura and the skillful huntsman by mike yamada

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Blade-Immo.../dp/1595825126

http://www.amazon.com/Age-Innocence-.../dp/0887331858

http://www.amazon.com/Skillful-Hunts.../dp/0972667644

Thanks
    did a quick search and didn't find this, so....

Banksy: Wall and Peice

What are some of the art  books that have inspired you or helped your work?

at best it is inspiring; at its worst, subversive. or is it the other way around? not sure.

Thanks
    David Chelsea's book is a MUST for anyone who's having trouble with perspective in general. It goes into full detail and makes perspective very easy to understand especially if you enjoy the way Scott McCloud explains his stuff in his books since David uses his comic book style method of explaining things:

This book was also a huge help to me. Found it at my local library and it's amazing how much anatomical material this book covers. For instance, things like hands, feet, arms and torsos all have their own chapter. It's a pretty thick book, but it's definitely worth hunting down if you're looking for an all-in-one reference for human anatomy:

DA profile

My Sketchbook

"The one thing the world will never have enough of is the outrageous." - Salvador Dali

Thanks

Ernest Pignon

Hello guys,
    I joined CA some 20 minutes ago :-) just discovering the features here.
    on my youtube channel I have some book browse through videos and hopefully I will make some more, as books are one of my treasures.
    Here's one video about a French artist which I like a lot, Ernest Pignon
    http://youtu.be/W-4IaeBPpkE

Thanks

Thanks
    Just got a shipment from Hong Kong with 2 books of Kent Williams art -- his latest Opthalm and something called Goya View Series vol 1.

Name:  Opthalm.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  420.0 KB

Name:  goya.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  38.9 KB

Trust me, unless you've seen it in person, you've never seen his work presented so beautifully!! These are both huge books - 12" x 12", with astonishing printing quality.

Opthalm contains sketchbook work and his big paintings, while the Goya series is like a peek directly into his personal sketchbook - there's a good deal of overlap in the 2 books but also several excellent works in each not found in the other. The Goya book being paperback, I'm thinking of ordering another copy so I can separate one to put prints up on the walls.
    "Figure drawing prepares you for painting at a high level" - Jeff Watts

Sketchbook

Thanks
    I like different type of artwork with different art materials. And this information provided by you guys is really helpful to me. i would love to check these books. thanks for sharing.

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32