Sketchbook: Less talking, more painting :)

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Less talking, more painting :)

So having finished my midterms, my goal right now is to stay productive and paint daily. I'm using oils, but when skill / cash permits I want to switch over to acrylics. I may throw in some digital as well, I've been neglecting that for months.

This is the first post with the thumbnail, scroll down for more recent stuff

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by calin4thewin; December 3rd, 2011 at 03:07 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is this your first post? Man, you are already good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is what I've been up to these past days. The apples looked very boring so I decided to switch to Worms. The night sky is WIP, I'm thinking I will glaze over with some colors and level the ground and/or add something on the right so it looks balanced. I'm thinking some sort of tree, or a castle / city with towers plenty.

I've been working on the vase until right now, but I'm very tired and need to get some sleep. Not sure if it's finished or not, please help with some critique if you can. My aim is to get those still lives good enough to sell, but by the looks of it I still have a while to go

Last edited by calin4thewin; July 28th, 2011 at 05:49 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude, so cool paintings! I'm amazed.
    How long you have been painting already? Looks like you're totally not a beginner.
    I like the night sky and first apples [without worms] best.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 795 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The last painting looks really nice, especially the sheen on the onion skin and the colora variation on the garlic. Speaking of color variation, I feel like your other paintings are lacking a little in this area, particularly the clouds (but perhaps you were purposely working monochromatically for that one?). Other than that, my only critique is that your compositions could be more interesting; so far the best painting in that regard imo is the pitcher.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by vanaga View Post
    Dude, so cool paintings! I'm amazed.
    How long you have been painting already? Looks like you're totally not a beginner.
    I like the night sky and first apples [without worms] best.
    Glad you like my work man, your SB is sweet as well
    I've just finished my first year in art school, so I've been painting for about a year now (haven't touched a brush at all before that). The apples I found to be too boring, and they looked somewhat weird due to the long ... whaddya call them? the things that come out of them? So I got the idea to put some worms and bazooka action, and convert those things into flags. Still WIP, hopefully it'll look good when done.

Other than that, my only critique is that your compositions could be more interesting; so far the best painting in that regard imo is the pitcher.
    Thanks a lot for the crit, I hope to improve my composition as I read and do more paintings The clouds were monochrome, but I glazed them today as you can see below. Just first glaze, next I'll make the moon brighter and decide what to add in the lower right / what to do with the lower part of the painting.

---

So today I didn't get much done, unfortunately my sleep/awake pattern is now completely reversed, so hopefully I'll get that in order soon. I glazed the clouds and did a small apple still life. Wanted to do a lot more, but have to call it a day and go to sleep. The still life took me 3 hours, and I have this feeling that I'm working way, way too slow. I hope that once I've done 20 or 50 of these I'll get faster and have my workflow streamlined better.

I just remembered to post a landscape I did some time ago, after Tim Gagnon's tutorial on youtube, and also the canvases that I stretched. The thing with those canvases is that EVERYTHING MUST GO! That's the plan, just go through them like there's no tomorrow, then stretch / buy more and GO GO GO

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey calin4thewin!
    Thanks for visiting my sb. And HUGE thanks about the lines crit
    I must say again, great paintings you have here. Yesterday I tried to mix some paint for the first time in my life, and I can't understand how you can make something like this with that uncontrollable paint

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey calin4thewin!
    I must say again, great paintings you have here. Yesterday I tried to mix some paint for the first time in my life, and I can't understand how you can make something like this with that uncontrollable paint
    Glad it helped make sure to search on youtube for "line exercise" - many artists have videos up on exactly what to do, I'm sure you'll find a few techniques you like.

As for painting I can do 2 things for you, first would be to link you to this here paint mixing video that I found useful for myself, and second I can give you the same advice that was given to me in school, in order to increase color mixing accuracy: Paint something, ideally a still life, from nature not from an image, in grayscale, but make the gray out of complimentary colors, not black+white.

So very patiently and carefully, mix blue and orange, or red+green, or red+yellow+blue, until you hit a nice gray, dead center. Actually it will be just a sort of "mud" when you look at it, but test it with some white, and you will see if it's really gray or offset towards one of the colors you used. If it is, then add a little of the complimentary color, and test again.

This might take you a few days and some frustration to figure it out, but after that your "resolution" about mixing colors will improve like you won't believe it. This is the fastest way I know of at least

---

In other news: awesome daily painter Jos van Riswick was kind enough to give me some advice on how to improve my approach to painting still life, and so today I will focus on these pears (and if time permits, also 2 nice green peppers )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I don't know what happened to my first post earlier today but here goess...

Hey calin4thewin!
    Glad my crit was useful mate, if you want some more info just search for "line exercise" on youtube, there's plenty

For paint mixing, there's this youtube video called Paint With Oil. Learning basic value scales, setting up a palette, and mixing oil paints. I think I have too few posts to put links in here, but search for it on youtube, it's very clear and detailed.

---

So today I spent (wasted?) about 6-7 hrs on this here still life. I say wasted cause it's still not ready, and because I'm rather fed up with it, I've redone everything several times and it still doesn't look right. In fact it looks overworked, flat, and I don't even know how to fix it. I don't know if I learned anything either. Oh well, one of those days

11. The Following User Says Thank You to calin4thewin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really like last still life painting. so inspiring! keep up good work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today I found this awesome thread and was so amazed by it, that I started to create my own influence map. Highly recommended, seems very useful

Then I connected my tablet and tried it out. As you can see, the result has been less than spectacular

Then I said screw this, I'm gonna do some painting. And so I made this oversized green pepper. Tomorrow I'll add some final touches and some background, and that'll be my first piece on this kind of gessoed panel. It's pretty cool, it doesn't have texture like canvas, but it's smooth and solid, and very cheap, so works for me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely giant pepper of yours! xD I quite like your traditional paintings.
    One question though, wondering why you have a 'color palette' sort of thing for the digital painting? It tends to restrict your colors.

Hey you! Yes, you! Crit me!

My CA.org Sketchbook 1 Last page Bashing much needed and appreciated!
    My daily art blog (all the junk and personal crap that my CA sketchbook doesn't have)

Feel free to shoot me a pm anytime~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudcan View Post
    Lovely giant pepper of yours! xD I quite like your traditional paintings.
    One question though, wondering why you have a 'color palette' sort of thing for the digital painting? It tends to restrict your colors.
    Glad you like'em

I have a palette because that's how I got used to working. it's not fixed from the start, nor are those the only colors I use, but I figured, if I want to use a specific color again, it's nice (and it's faster) to have it handy. But isn't this common in digital painting? I've seen other works here with a palette on the side.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi calin!
    Thanks for the tips. Found the video you mentioned, and looked also at other that guy's videos, that's some epic stuff, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
    Huh, that's one huge pepper!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So today was more of an R&R day for me, only thing I did was complete my influence map. Was a very nice thing to work on

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some anatomy studies. First 2 are a sort of mental X-ray, I was just looking in a mirror and trying to figure out where everything is inside my left arm. Second 2 are from ref.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    welcome to the group! you will find that i'm a bit sporadic in my attendance... but i do my best. your paintings look so good, i am in love with your giant pepper. peppers have such beautiful color, don't you think? i wish i had room in my apartment for oil painting.. but alas, the turpentine would probably kill me. so keep it up, i love seeing what people can do on canvas! looking forward to seeing more work from you~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the recent skeletal studies you've got going. Has a lot of confidence about them. Keep it up, mate!!

Jesus saves from the power of sin!

Book of Sketching! ....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice influence map man, haha. Got some cool guys there!

You've got a really good base to work off at this point. You're work is generally correct, and just needs lots of mileage to get to a level of sophistication that will make all of your hard work pay off.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to drd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by thisby View Post
    welcome to the group! you will find that i'm a bit sporadic in my attendance... but i do my best. your paintings look so good, i am in love with your giant pepper. peppers have such beautiful color, don't you think? i wish i had room in my apartment for oil painting.. but alas, the turpentine would probably kill me. so keep it up, i love seeing what people can do on canvas! looking forward to seeing more work from you~
    You like the pepper? Finally somebody does I was considering to reuse that MDF board, as in paint something else over it. If you say it's decent, now I'll reconsider, perhaps even finish it!

If you like oil painting please consider working with oil alone (no turp) or better yet, get some of those odorless mineral spirits, or look into Shellsol T. It's both safer and cheaper than turp, and depending on where you live, it might be very easy to get. As an alternative you can paint with acrylics, if you do certain things with them they don't dry so fast on your palette. I mean use one of those palettes with wet waxed paper, and sprinkle them with water from above as well. Peter Dranitsin on youtube gives some awesome advice about this

I like the recent skeletal studies you've got going. Has a lot of confidence about them. Keep it up, mate!!
    Thanks, I like your SB as well, you made HUGE progress since you started

Nice influence map man, haha. Got some cool guys there!

You've got a really good base to work off at this point. You're work is generally correct, and just needs lots of mileage to get to a level of sophistication that will make all of your hard work pay off.
    Glad you like it man, I put it on my Windows desktop as well, keeps me focused on what it's all about.

As for the mileage, thanks for the encouragement, that's what I'm doing right now every day - putting in the time and hopefully soon it will also show. I want to be able to make more sellable stuff, as I'm planning to go around Europe and actually see the paintings of those people on my map

---

Now for a little update:

WE HAVE CAKE!!!
    For more cake lease go here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that cake looks delicious! especially while im fasting hmmmm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool anatomy studies, and so tasty cake
    And thanks for the acrylic less-drying tip, I'm currently fighting with that

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool anatomy studies, and so tasty cake
    And thanks for the acrylic less-drying tip, I'm currently fighting with that
    You mean on the palette or on the canvas?

If it's on the palette, please see this:
    http://painting.about.com/od/acrylic...et_palette.htm

I've made one of those myself and they work quite well. All you need is a tray, some papers/newspapers placed in it, and wax paper, like the one used in cooking (for baking cakes I think). As long as you put the acrylics on wax paper that has moist papers under it, they will not dry.

Cover the palette with a lid when you're not painting, and also spray water on it with a bottle sprayer.

You can use the bottle sprayer on the canvas as well, to get really interesting effects. Peter Dranitsin has some nice techniques in acrylics, check them out

27. The Following User Says Thank You to calin4thewin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that cake looks delicious!
    your stuff is improving from post to post- great stuff - and your subjects are delicious.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cat Patrol

Last edited by calin4thewin; August 12th, 2011 at 01:06 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ha, you are back! Together with a crazy cool cat
    It would be great to buy this painting and hang it to the wall. It's really great! I like it.
    And thanks for the advice on wet palette, unfortunately haven't tried it out yet, but definitely will. See ya

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ha, you are back! Together with a crazy cool cat
    It would be great to buy this painting and hang it to the wall. It's really great! I like it.
    And thanks for the advice on wet palette, unfortunately haven't tried it out yet, but definitely will. See ya
    Well if you'd like to buy it, I'd be more than happy to sell it, as I may have mentioned I am somewhat of a struggling artist, and could totally use the cash for the 2 painting camps I will embark on the following days

If you're interested drop me a pm, and if not, no worries, my portfolio needs to grow and sooner or later I will surely run into some cat lover who won't be able to resist buying it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update on the worms, almost done

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What's up CA, back updating after a bit of a break. Here's my latest red pepper, oil on canvas 40x40 cm

It also comes with a video of how it was done, so enjoy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update

Been a while since the last update, here's a self-portrait (almost done but still want to work on the lips) and a WIP master copy, after Balthasar van der Ast. Both are oil on canvas. Enjoy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.