You are not running out of time
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: You are not running out of time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

You are not running out of time

I thought this is an interesting read, especially in light with the occasional "Is it too late for me to learn drawing" threads that pop up every now and then.

You are not running out of time.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Jie Kageshinzo For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Iain Mccaig gave art lessons to an 84 year old man who went on to become a working artist.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great post! Thanks for sharing! I liked this quote:

"Now imagine building a family, or a skillset, or any object or business. Is it more important to do it rapidly and compare it to others or to build something that will last, and bring your vision to life?"

I feel like this applies to me and to many here. We are so focused on improving as fast as we can and comparing ourselves with other sketchbooks/portfolios that we forget why we are doing it in the first place.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Saraiva For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Alternative View Post
    Great post! Thanks for sharing! I liked this quote:

"Now imagine building a family, or a skillset, or any object or business. Is it more important to do it rapidly and compare it to others or to build something that will last, and bring your vision to life?"

I feel like this applies to me and to many here. We are so focused on improving as fast as we can and comparing ourselves with other sketchbooks/portfolios that we forget why we are doing it in the first place.
    True that, right now im so overwhelmed by all the things i want to dominate, digital painting, drawing the figure, drawing dragons... at the end of the day i am not able to focus properly on something and it ends up being counterproductive..

-We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

My SKETCHbook
    http://jeeso.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Totally! I have so many half finished projects because I know I don't have the skills yet to finish them to the standard that's in my head Maybe they aren't meant to be finished though, I didn't carry on with them because they weren't working so each unfinished piece is a testament to what I need to work on, a record of what not to do! But I still enjoyed painting them up til that point.

EDIT: However one thing that bugs me is the the part about building families, because as a woman there is such a thing as running out of time (Not a fan of IVF for women over 45 it's just doesn't seem right), I'm only saying because as I'm 32 it's been on my mind for a few years now and unfortunately my hormones are against me and are demanding I procreate, it's annoying, I just want to get better at painting.

Last edited by Angel Intheuk; July 28th, 2011 at 06:16 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel Intheuk View Post
    EDIT: However one thing that bugs me is the the part about building families, because as a woman there is such a thing as running out of time (Not a fan of IVF for women over 45 it's just doesn't seem right), I'm only saying because as I'm 32 it's been on my mind for a few years now and unfortunately my hormones are against me and are demanding I procreate, it's annoying, I just want to get better at painting.
    You can still build a family by adopting. The world is woefully overpopulated anyway and there are millions of kids out there who have no one in the whole world to love them and give them a home. That's what I plan to do, should I ever feel the need to have kids. (No pregnancy for me ever, TYVM.)

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

"Limited drawing skills are OK if they are offset by a fearless commitment to putting images on paper."

"I mean, What is a chair? It's an anti-gravity device." Glen Keane

"The difficult part is continuously realizing when you've stopped enjoying the process, and re-aligning yourself. It's kind of like meditation/being an art ninja..." ceddo

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kjesta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Alternative View Post
    I know I've fallen into that trap before, comparing myself to many of the people on this site/CGhub/etc. Not really fair to myself I suppose, I've only been at this for about a year, without even doodling before that, while others have been doing it for decades.

To a certain point though, I feel it can be a useful thing. Aiming to be better than X can push one through tough spots. Just have to be careful that you don't reach X and say "Eh, fuck it."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    At 28 and as a single man, I have something sick( if it's not kinky...) on this topic... I'm just a common technical worker and make less money. Basically Each week I have only one non-working day. So I have to paint at night and this is the very time I have to do many things in... I have somewhat tristimania slightly. Sometimes I can't cope with pressures appropriately... I often sensed the contradiction that it's a pity that I was doing thing 1 while I wasn't doing thing 2, if I was doing the thing 2 , I also felt it's a pity that I wasn't doing the thing 1... This mood would be killing me!

Moreover, I haven't done a work that's priced over $18 per piece... It makes me insane and is torturing my passion of painting! I suppose I'm about to be a numb this way!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Radicou View Post
    To a certain point though, I feel it can be a useful thing. Aiming to be better than X can push one through tough spots. Just have to be careful that you don't reach X and say "Eh, fuck it."
    I think this is why you have to set little personal goalposts to your ultimate goal. Once you reach your personal goalpost, move it just a little further away, to the direction of your ultimate goal. You'll just wake up one day to know you're at the finish line.

Of course, once you're at the finish line, then that's when you start putting up a new ultimate goal. Like the article says, work at your own pace.

It's like eating this huge burger. Swallow it whole and you risk the danger of choking. Take a bite one piece at a time however, and you will find that you can finish it easier that way, and enjoy it in the process too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't read the link but it kills me when people give themselves ultimatums. Should I get a business degree or focus on my passion of art.

I always say DO BOTH but prioritize things based on necessity.

blog

Quote Originally Posted by Vhan juju
    I don't know what happend to guys like you gruve24, but whatever it is, it sure has a way of destroying hearts...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I feel this way about music sometimes which is a shame, but it's no secret that most musicians either make it or break it in their early 20's. The percentage of the people that become very musically successful post-26 or so is rather small, even in non-commercial music. Or not even musically successful, but in a band that plays original material and maybe even has a small contract with a label.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This quote by Tom Waits is relevant: "Little man | Never hurry, take it slow | Things worth while need time to grow."

17. The Following User Says Thank You to OldJake666 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Inspiring, I've always found articles of this kind uplifting, perhaps because I'm horrible at focusing on one topic and as such spend most of my studies wandering aimlessly around...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by gruve24 View Post
    I didn't read the link but it kills me when people give themselves ultimatums. Should I get a business degree or focus on my passion of art.

I always say DO BOTH but prioritize things based on necessity.
    I don't see things that simple, but I have accepted that I make things complicated and thus develop strategies against the sort of panic I am displaying by this following paragraph.

I am finishing my BA History/Politics next year, and I would like to study art after that, in order to incorporate both art and writing into my future career.
    Now the money matters. "Waste" another 3 years on education if I could teach myself? But then again, I really want to improve as fast as possible and become proficient in certain areas, so should I really stay in Marketing and doodle my way to Frazetta? How would I pay for art school? Is a scholarship a goal I could reach by next april?
    What is the neccessity according to your formula? I regard working as a neccessity, but I also regard pursuing my dreams as a neccessity.
    Ah, wait.. is art really my dream? I don't share this divine obsession with most the people here, does that mean I am not a "true artist"? Does that exist? Do "dreams" as such exist?

It can go off track sooo quickly

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jie Kageshinzo View Post
    I thought this is an interesting read, especially in light with the occasional "Is it too late for me to learn drawing" threads that pop up every now and then.

You are not running out of time.

It was a really good and inspirational read, thanks. It's a pretty easy trap to get caught comparing one's self to a younger artist or even someone your age.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks this is a good read.. i read recently somewhere that the phrase 'i'm not there yet', or ' i still have a long way to go', which is something i have a habit of telling myself, is quite dangerous, as it doesnt let you enjoy what you're doing or where are now. The truth is you will never get there, because 'there' always changes. Like this guy says, you've got to enjoy the moment, the process or the journey. Especailly with skillsets like art, i think you have to enjoy what you do now, because you are doing it now.

If you ever get 'there' , its most likely you will be doing the same thing you do now, you will just be better at doing it. So theres pretty much all you can do is enjoy creating, and enjoy the process of developing your skills.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LordLouis View Post
    What is the neccessity according to your formula?
    The Order of Necessities for our current times

MONEY should be your focus until it is no longer an issue
    High Paying Work or Owning a Successful Business

which leads to..

Survival
    Food
    Shelter
    Clothing
    Fitness

Comfort

Stress Free Environment
    Access to Quality Food
    Access to Professional Clothing
    Improved Level of Fitness

Mobility
    Ability to Save and Plan
    Access to Resources that require money in abundance
    Disposable Income

Everything Else
    Other endeavors of interest
    Contributing to mankind
    Women

Once you already have the money and success you can soul search, figure out what you want, what makes you tick and other endeavors to pursue.

blog

Quote Originally Posted by Vhan juju
    I don't know what happend to guys like you gruve24, but whatever it is, it sure has a way of destroying hearts...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gruve24: All that sounds like is a good way to always be depressed and overworked. Soul searching is something that should be done all the time. You could spend your entire life trying to become wealthy and successful and never get there because shit happens. But family, love, and dreams can keep you going, and you shouldn't put those things off just because of money.
    That's like saying everyone here should just stop drawing and go get a Computer Science degree, and slave away until they retire.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, it sounds like you're trying to accomplish two dreams there, Gruve. Many people in this world would be happy to have a stable income. I read an article where a law student graduated only to not be able to find a job with a 100k in debt. Not sure of the validity as it was a Yahoo article, but it was interesting to see.

Anyways, there's certainly the practical ways to go about your life, but dreams often fly in the face of practical.

Last edited by MatthewHD; August 5th, 2011 at 03:48 PM.
    Sketchbook: There and Back again Updated- 7/04/12

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice read! I think about "the game" as well. But never that in depth!

The peak is definitely just a place holder. I only have one goal that will always be the same: Get better. It's not about being better than the Jones'. I don't really care who I'm better than.

The only reason for me to compete, per say, with art, is for economic gain. I don't really care about the recognition anymore. I mean, or course it's wonderful to have. But, I draw and paint because I enjoy it, not because I want to be better than someone.It's about being better than yourself. I figure, as long as I'm making myself better, enjoy what I do and actively pursue it as a career, everything else will follow.

Not to say that competitiveness is wrong or anything, I will be as competitive as the next guy in the field, in order to move up. However, it's simply not why I do it, ya know? When I ran track, that I did, primarily to win. The most enjoyable part about track and field was being the victor. That was why I trained.

Art is something I want to be able to do all of the time for the rest of my life. In order to do that, I have to be good.

The Sketchbook of Naj and Stu!:
    SKETCHBOOK

And of course go check out the SB of DefiledVisions

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is me in a nut shell! I work in animation- sketch for an hour to and from work every day and spend at least 3 evenings dedicate to some sort of art endeavor - I easily put 60+ hours a week into my art and I still feel like I'm not doing enough.
    I keep looking at all the artists ahead of me and feel like I'm drowning
    I think I'm going to print this out and tape it all over my office walls...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.