Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Jady's got it right. When you're doing two point perspective those two vanishing points are always on the same horizon line. And for that you don't really need to worry about the vertical stuff, they'll almost always be perfectly straight.
    When they're not that'll be during 3 point perspective when you want something to look big and menacing. Two points will still remain on the horizon line but the third will be WAAAAAY up in the sky.

Also the thing with photos (and I should have mentioned this before) is that depending on the cameras you're using there will be a certain amount of distortion. I noticed this with iphone photos whenever I'd try to take reference pictures for myself. There may be a slight bulge in the center that will throw you off. I dunno if that happened here but I know it happens to me a lot. x'D

Hope this helped >3<

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dana_T For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Perspective can be a bitch, can't it? If you can find it, I would suggest looking at the book "The Complete Guide to Perspective" (creative name, huh?) by John Raynes, It really helped me understand a lot of that stuff.

Thanks

City Thingies

Thanks guys! You've all been super helpful.

I know it's too soon to do my own concept background things, but a friend of mine really wants me to be a background artist for his animations and so he's giving me a grace period for trial runs. Right now we're just seeing if we can match styles, but he gave the ok to upload so here are some of my first attempts for you guys to critique!

What to do beyond horizons is always complicated for me to understand. But I think for my second attempt these turned out great considering. However, I know there are flaws. He doesn't care how accurate the perspective is really as long as its readable. But I'm a perfectionist sooooo...

Attached Images Attached Images      

Thanks
    I drew some perspective lines over your first sketch and I came up with three different horizon lines and a small problem with one of the fancy doors.

If it's one point perspective, everything has to line up to the main vanishing point and I do mean everything. If you're rotating stuff into two point perspective, the horizon line still doesn't change but I don't think that's what you were going for. Keep in mind that door placement and fancy elements also need to be figured out in perspective for center lines, etc.

I hope this helps!

Name:  perspective.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  151.9 KB

I also picked out just one of the problems in your coloured version -- the left side of this building tells me there's a ledge built out and there's even a shadow underneath it - but the right side of the building tells me it's just something painted on. Which is it?

Name:  overhang.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  9.7 KB

Last edited by jady; August 20th, 2011 at 12:17 PM.
    Trample the weak. Hurdle the dead.

My haphazard sketchbook

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jady For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi there, thanks for the nice post.

I think your problem right now is just inaccuracy or the lack of the understanding behind the perspective lines.

Try to think of a scenery in another perspective, for example from the top. Like in the last street scene: If you would look at it from above and all buildings would be parallel to each other, then they would share the same VP. Same goes for the picture with the bedroom, the wall, the window and the furnitures share one point because one side is alway arranged in the same direction.

It seems to me that you already have an idea of perspective, but lack the discipline to use it correctly. ( I lack patience as well^^)

The first thing you need to know is where the HL is.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.