A Book on Perspective

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow A Book on Perspective

Hi, I know that this topic has been touched upon numerously, but well... Once again here I am, confused, Let me talk a little about what I want based on what I have already done: I have finished Edwards' Drawing on The Right Side of the Brain, practiced with its method for about 3 months, Went on to Juliette Aristedes' Classical Drawing Atelier, Studied it [It was goood!] and practiced three our of it's five practices [Specifically, I've produced hundreds of hundreds of shaded 3-D Eggs, Boxes and Cylinders in Perspective, done over 20 Master copies to near-perfection, and drew over 20 lifelike portraits; It was hardwork, but fun!] The other two practices which I have not done were the Cast [I do not have any casts] and the reductive charcoal [I hate Charcoal, Just hate it!]; During this I also read Harold Speed's The Science and Practice of Drawing which pretty much confirmed the uses of my system.
    I now can do portraits of good quality [I'll scan some, later] The portrait in my avatar is from the Betty Edwards era, I draw a lot better now.
    About a week ago I purchased Vilppu's Manual based on recommendations here and got pretty finished with it by today, I found out I've already practiced it's basic objects and it's 2D construction area, The light and shadow parts too so they all were pretty easy to grasp, I've filled about 300 (A4-size) pages with drawings during studying the Manual.
    Now, The anatomical parts in Vilppu's were not good at all, atleast for me, I plan on fixing that later; But as for now, Too many voices asked me for Perspective, I've already studied basic Perspective [that is, 1-point, 2-point, 3-point perspective] And I want to move on a little, Any recommendations?
    And please, If it's an online book [Pubic Domain, I mean] It'd help pretty much, I already waved too much goodbyes to my money!
    In short terms, I need a good perspective book to practice perspective Beyond 1-point, 2-point and 3-point builds.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Necron33 View Post
    About a week ago I purchased Vilppu's Manual based on recommendations here and got pretty finished with it by today
    My compliments! I expect to need a lifetime to get pretty finished with Vilppu, although I met people who claim 10 years is enough. You must be an extraordinary talent to get through in a week...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Necron33 View Post
    I now can do portraits of good quality [I'll scan some, later] The portrait in my avatar is from the Betty Edwards era, I draw a lot better now.
    Question, how hard would it have been to wait a bit, scan your stuff and then post this?

As for the question, I would suggest David Chelsea's Perspective! for Comic Book Artists as well as his Extreme Perspective! For Artists
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/29299861/D...c-Book-Artists
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/082...SIN=0823005674
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/082...SIN=0823026655

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yea, seems to me like a lot of bragging.. and no proof... show the stuff man! : p

-We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

My SKETCHbook
    http://jeeso.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's called real life. Perspective isn't my strong point, but I learn lots every time I go out and actually draw. There are some things a book just can't teach you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay.. I'm sorry... Waitin for the shitty scanner to be repaired!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't want to open a new thread, so I'll ask here: I've got a little spare money right now and want to invest in some art books, one of them perspective.

Both "Perspective made easy" and "Perspective for comic book artists" look really good, would it be a good idea to get both? If they cover the same things I figure it wouldn't.

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

"Limited drawing skills are OK if they are offset by a fearless commitment to putting images on paper."

"I mean, What is a chair? It's an anti-gravity device." Glen Keane

"The difficult part is continuously realizing when you've stopped enjoying the process, and re-aligning yourself. It's kind of like meditation/being an art ninja..." ceddo

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kjesta View Post
    Both "Perspective made easy" and "Perspective for comic book artists" look really good, would it be a good idea to get both? If they cover the same things I figure it wouldn't.
    Well, I haven't fully read "Perspective made easy" but I'm fairly certain that though obviously they will cover same things, they will also cover different things and in completely different ways (personally I don't like long paragraphs of text explaining things, which is why I like Chelsea's book), so I'd suggest that you might try loaning both from the library if possible (at least in here libraries can order books from different libraries, not sure how it work in there) and then choose which you find more usable, or both.
    Try before you buy and so on.

Last edited by TinyBird; July 30th, 2011 at 04:04 PM.
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wish that I could - here in Germany it's a bit tough getting ahold of specific art books that haven't even been translated yet. Sucks majorly

Well, I think I'll just go with the comic artist one for now. It'll certainly teach me more than not buying a book at all

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

"Limited drawing skills are OK if they are offset by a fearless commitment to putting images on paper."

"The difficult part is continuously realizing when you've stopped enjoying the process, and re-aligning yourself. It's kind of like meditation/being an art ninja..." ceddo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Perspective for Comic Artists is... wonderful! Gets the mystery out of perspective, I also found this for more advanced perspective, on my reading list after the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Kjesta View Post
    Wish that I could - here in Germany it's a bit tough getting ahold of specific art books that haven't even been translated yet. Sucks majorly

Well, I think I'll just go with the comic artist one for now. It'll certainly teach me more than not buying a book at all
    You've got Bammes' Der Naket Mensch? I've got it here, somehow, and It seems great for anatomical studies, It's in German [I don't understand a word] and would greatly help you, I guess so! [I haven't read it yet, just somehow found it in a library here alongside Bridgeman's Constructive Anatomy!]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's some Bammes at my local library and I agree, he's the cat's pyjamas of anatomy! Really great stuff, even without the text. (Not much about perspective, though.)

Anyhoo, I'll order the comic artist book.

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Carl Dobsky did an excellent tutorial on this subject. Too bad the price is going to shoot back up in two hours (according to my timezone anyway.) Better get in quick.

Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really liked David Chelsea's book too. Most books describe vanishing points as left and right but he talked about them as actual directions (north, north-west etc.). Very refreshing take on perspective.

Members who have read this thread: 2