Thread: help me...

Thanks

help me...

i know this is probably not the place to talk about this.....and frankly i have no clue really why im doing this....i guess i just need to get this out. dont bother reading this. i just want it out of my system.
    Ive been going to art classes ever since i was old enough to hold a brush, and serious about art for about two years now. (im 15). My sketchbook goes everywhere i go...and i draw every chance i get. I have gotten many compliments this year for my ‘improvement’ (which personally, I cant see…) which just encouraged me to draw more.
    I have….i had those art teachers (husband and wife) the husband is the artist and the wife teaches mostly art history. Even though this is about the last thing I wanna say about them right now, I have to admit they are the best art teachers I ever had.
    They frequently had talks with my parents…I didn’t hear any of it personally (they made me sit out in the car), though later my parents told me all about the conversations…
    The teachers apparently would tell my parents that I was about the best student they have had and that I should think more seriously about going into the arts. The art teachers would tell me on my lessons that I was doing very well and that I am very fit for an art school. Anyway, I went through pretty much the roughest time in my life recently and took it out on everyone around me. It irritated me that even though I would come up with the ideas on what to draw and have the whole picture in my head already figured out- the colors, composition….everything-that although the things I was putting on paper were my own real and very personal feelings (which I just learned how to do… its pretty new to me…the concept of expressing yourself through art) my teacher would take the brush away from me and show me how it should be done. Which in my eyes (back then) completely ruined the picture. I guess I overreacted or something I don’t know. A day before my art class starts, my mom gets a call...from my art teachers. Basically they kicked me out. They did it cuz I ‘refuse to pay attention to what they say and I do things my own way’ I also apparently never finish up my projects. My art teachers liked me…I know they did. And they thought I had talent…that’s what they told me. And now, on like my toughest point in life….they kick me out. What right do they have to do that?? They said I ought to rethink about making art my career. But I cant. Cuz its truly what I wanna do. and im serious about it….its not just some stupid kid fantasy or whatever. The people I trusted the most in helping me achieve my goals kick me out. I don’t know what I am supposed to do now. I have no one to go to really…cuz no one understands that im serious about this. I don’t know what else to say.. or really why I bothered to write this here when no one would probably read it. I don’t know….i guess I want to say….help me? please…

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    regarding anything or anyone that says no to you, I have a quote from Vincent Van Gogh for ya:

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint', then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced"
    ....'voice within you' or voice outside you....doesn't matter, art is unstoppable.

-Rob
    My Sketchbook
    Encouragement keeps me swimming , even in the undertow of disappointment.

Thanks
    If you're genuinely serious about being an artist, you're going to have to do something you don't want to do and swallow your pride.

I know what you're going through, when I was 16 I thought that I knew everything I needed to know and was absolutely 100% sure about the intended path I was going to take.

Boy was I ever wrong.

You could ask pretty much any of the great artists here if they think they have fully mastered their skills, and not ONE of them will say yes. There's this point you get to one day where you realise that you will always have more to learn, but that's actually a GOOD thing, because you should never stop growing as an artist.

I know I fought against what certain teachers have wanted over time, to the point that I actually stopped doing art properly for three years, because I'd become so disgruntled with the teachers trying to make me do different things, when I was convinced my way was right.

You should always try to welcome new approaches, even if at first you don't see the point. When I was 15 I couldn't see the point of using a PC to help my artwork(!) when the truth was I actually didn't know what a wonderful tool they could actually be!

Some of these things wont work for you, and that's fine, but at least you will have tried. It will show your teachers that you have the right attitude.

It doesn't matter how talented you are, if you're not easy to get on with, people will be reluctant to work with you because you're inflexible. And trust me, there are always at least another 20 people behind you who will be ready to be accomodating as long as they get paid.

Basically, you'll want to go back with a new attitude that they know more than you, and you can absorb as much of their knowledge as possible and use that information to bolster your skills making you an even better artist thajn you already are. Even if they seem wrong, just indulge them.
    I had a teacher try to kick me off of my degree course because we had a difference of opinion why people should be in art college, but I stuck in there against him and because the other main teacher liked my stuff and was impressed by my tenacity he kept me on the course, and now I have my illustration degree.

There's always a way to get around any problem, it's just not always easy.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    It irritated me that even though I would come up with the ideas on what to draw and have the whole picture in my head already figured out- the colors, composition….everything-that although the things I was putting on paper were my own real and very personal feelings (which I just learned how to do… its pretty new to me…the concept of expressing yourself through art) my teacher would take the brush away from me and show me how it should be done.
    Trust the teacher, swallow your pride. You can do it your way out of class, if that is what you really want.

(btw, where in the bay area? Marin? OR are you in another bay area?)

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    thanks for the replies...
    yea i know i dont know what came over me. the point is....i dont know what to do now since i cant like...beg them to take me back...? i dont know...theyre good people..the wife was the one who called and from what i heard she said something like 'sometimes kids go through these stages.. she just needs some time off' or something. so i guess they will take me back? i dont know. i feel so useless
    dfacto:: what other bay area? haha...i live in cupertino
    thanks again
    "But i dont want to go among mad people" Alice remarked.
    "Oh you can't help that." Said the Cat:"We're all mad here."

Thanks
    i dont know what to do now since i cant like...beg them to take me back...?
    Well, yes you can actually. And if you really want their help, then you should.

(and go bay area!)

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.