Art: Choice of study for future animation career.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Choice of study for future animation career.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Choice of study for future animation career.

Hello, My name is Maria,I will finish college in one year and will have to choose a place of higher education. I have a big passion for art and animation. And at the moment I am bursting between two choices. One is Angel Academy of Art in Florence, where they will teach you the skills of art, and it is very important to me to gain the skills to paint and draw at a very high level. The other one is Animation Programme in Sheridan College in Canada. Their programme is very good and I wish to study there. So could anyone tell me is it better to start from a traditional approach and then move to animation? Or go straight to Sheridan. Because I am a realist, and wish to succeed in realist art, as well as qualitiy animation. Your advice.

My blog if you wish to look at my drawings:
    http://marijasdrawingblog.blogspot.com/

Last edited by mariatitova; July 27th, 2011 at 03:20 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gobelins in France

-start a revolution.

AnimationSamurai.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know about it, but it is in French, a can not learn it in one year
    Sometimes i think it is better to learn on your own, just attending short courses..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would suggest that you start learning animation as soon as possible! If you really want to be an animator then get animating! Don't feel that you need to build your "base art skills" first. While learning animation you'll inevitably develop those skills too. If you're concerned about your art skills, which after looking at your blog I don't think you should be, then you can always take up extra life-drawing classes to supplement your animation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, but the thing is that I want to be able to work in both areas animation and art(particularly concept art, illustration for movies etc.) So I am quite lost with all those schools around me..I also heard good things about Art Center College of Design illustration programme, but I don' know about an idea of learning in US, I don't know about the actual life in there now..and it will be probably very expensive...

Last edited by mariatitova; July 27th, 2011 at 05:02 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, well it sounds like you're still a bit unsure about what career you want to go into. This probably isn't the case for everyone but I believe that if you really want to be good at something you need to at some point make the decision of what that is going to be. If you want to be a top animator you need to make animation your focus, in the same way that if you want to be a concept artist you need to make that your focus. I know there are a lot of people out there who are probably fantastic animators and concept artists but I personally don't believe there is enough time in one lifetime to become a true master of more than one profession. To be honest few people even manage to master one.

If you're not ready to make a decision then that's fine too, but in that case I would suggest a more general art course because then you at least still keep your options open. The last thing you want to do is get onto an expensive animation course and then half way through realize it's not what you want to do. I'm not saying it would be time wasted but a more general course would of value for a wider variety of art careers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for your advice

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.