Fisheye Cityscape
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Fisheye Cityscape

So I have a bitchin' (I think so) linework illustration here and I'm looking for some advice on how to light it. Any helpful advice or links would be most appreciated, I'm looking to add several light sources, sconces, streetlights, that kind of thing, and I'm really new to that sort of realism. I'm working in Photoshop. Tanks for looking, my first post, mnlv with this forum.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Don't think about it as fish eye. Think of it as four point perspective. It's an exact science just like any other perspective. You have pretty random warping happening and it makes it look gimicy, like a phony drug sequence. Try doing something basic like this image I'm posting below.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When Raoul Duke himself calls your drug trip phony you tend to get a little addelpated! I was scanning some stuff anyway so I thought I'd show what I came up with. Thanks Duke!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rolleiflex For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's good that you're pushing your limits with these compositions, but your line work is REALLY shaky. This suggest to me that you're probably a beginner who needs to do more arm exercises.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsQ1WVyPHvU

This video is kinda outdated, but it's still got valid information.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=116199

This'll really set up good habits. Also, it doesn't look like you checked a reference on that elephant head. The eyes aren't in the right spot, and they're also the classic, flat eye-stickers that people who are just starting out use.

I'm curious though, what the hell are those big black patterns and the backwards H2O? Is that a part of the composition, or something on the other side of the paper that bled through? =P

Last edited by Strato; July 27th, 2011 at 07:12 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Strato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You see this is much more controlled. Don't worry I still have a shakey hand and I've seen others do amazing work with worse, but you can learn to control it. The dot dot dash excersises really do help. Maybe do a little perspective doodle for five minutes before each sketch. Hell I learned alot from Sarto's two links as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the links and the advice! I'm playing around with some light sources, any c&c would be most appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seriously you are walking into a trap by thinking you can flesh this thing out. There is no structural integrity to this peice. It doesn't even obey the logic of jellow. Don't do this to yourself and ask us to help. You probably think there is potential here, but you would be just plane wrong. Maybe the elephant could go somewhere, but not this one. I like the funky PNG-8 idea BTW. But I don't think anybody would be able to help, because nobody uses, experiments with or really knows about that feature. You may want to play it straight for a while, so folks here can more easily help you. I use PNG-24s often, but not if it's going to interfere with communication.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.