[For Beginners from Beginner] [My #1 tip]Perspective: Please DO not forget about it

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy [For Beginners from Beginner] [My #1 tip]Perspective: Please DO not forget about it

I've been a lurker for a bit and finally decided to register to the site and I am glad to comment/critique.
    I am thoroughly impressed with all the pieces from both beginners as well as those on a professional level.

But in the 2 days I have been on here the #1 question people ask is what can they improve in their pieces. Now this is NOT the solution to every piece, but for beginners (like me), this will help a ton.

PERSPECTIVE:
    Please do not forget this because I have seen alot of pieces where the perspective involves out-of-nowhere vanishing points that just do not add up with horizon.

I am 100% sure all of you guys understand this, but please remember Perspective is one of the main elements of drawing that must be correct.

The Horizon line is eye-level. Remember this: Again you probably already know but I want you to say this every-time you critique your own piece before submitting, because if the perspective is not accurate, it throws off the rest of the drawing elements.

Andrew Loomis Recommends this Book in Learning/Improving your understanding. Just read the first 15 pages of Google Book's Preview and I am 100% sure that those pages alone will help any beginner understand perspective much easier.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ceteri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Perspective made easy

It's so easy!

*** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Flashback For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
    Perspective made easy

It's so easy!
    I literally just read the whole book now and I understand so much more about perspective and how accurate perspective makes pieces look so much more professional.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    most days i just want to forget perspective and draw like alfred wallis, but i can't. x-point perspective is a curse on art. it clouds our minds to think that where things are and what things look like is paramount in drawing.

Last edited by cro-magnon; July 27th, 2011 at 08:02 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How is it that my eye level will be low and my table vanishes as if my eye level was high?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't see the point in you posting this here.
    The reason many people don't apply perspective is because they can't. Reading a book about it is nice, applying on the other hand..

Yeah great that you now "understand" perspective, I personally dislike that book because I find it too simplifying. The Perspective Drawing Handbook by Joseph D'Amelio on the other hand was far more challenging to read and to understand, along with "Perspective for Comic Book Artists", and it gave an explanation for what has puzzled me ever since I started learning on perspective: that many of the "rules" applying to objects only apply when they are parallel to the picture plane.

So yeah, I read a lot of books on perspective now, and a lot of the stuff is overlapping, but I am so far away from being able to apply it. That said, "Perspective for Comic Book Artists" actually says that the more a beginner you are, the more will knowledge of perspective confuse you when studying the fundamentals.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I remember, when I was starting out in art, I was majorly confused with perspective until a few days later I realized that perspective lines don't exist in real life xD

Hey you! Yes, you! Crit me!

My CA.org Sketchbook 1 Last page Bashing much needed and appreciated!
    My daily art blog (all the junk and personal crap that my CA sketchbook doesn't have)

Feel free to shoot me a pm anytime~

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 870 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudcan View Post
    I remember, when I was starting out in art, I was majorly confused with perspective until a few days later I realized that perspective lines don't exist in real life xD
    They don't?

Man, I really need to clean these glasses.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Remember folks, when you start painting...use COLOR!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This thread promises to be a lesson for beginners, but not in the way OP intended.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is more of a rant/reminder. You guys (especially you decently good artist) are just throwing it out of proportion because you feel this need to. It's your fault for clicking this if you aren't a beginner. So please don't complain to me about the content of the post. That's your problem. Unless you consider yourself a beginner.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We're all beginners, Ceteri, as we were all beginners once. They know what its like, hehe

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha yea I understand it just seemed like some were mocking post because I am basically restating the importance of perspective.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We need some illustrations of what you said up in here. ;D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by AnonYmouse View Post
    We need some illustrations of what you said up in here. ;D
    haha alright, I see what I can find and I'll dissect every part of the image for you guys. Monday this will be updated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceteri View Post
    Haha yea I understand it just seemed like some were mocking post because I am basically restating the importance of perspective.
    No, I think the point that people are sort of making fun of you about is that you are in no position to teach or make people aware of anything.

Honestly, I would wager there is not a single person on this forum that isn't AWARE that perspective is a necessary fundamental. I mean, you seriously come off like you just got out of perspective class (Remember people: HORIZON LINE!") and are just regurgitating it for people on the forum. A beginner will want a person that knows what they are talking about telling them how to improve, not someone who is right there with them.

I'm not saying this to be rude at all, btw. I am saying this because I think you are seeing a lot of the experienced artists on the forum making helpful threads and you want to help, too. That is commendable, but the reason why those people ARE so helpful is because they have decades of experience under their belt. If someone really doesn't know what a horizon line is or isn't even aware that perspective is what they need to start incorporating into their work, they need to take a Jr. High art class, not come to CA.org (yet).

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    No, I think the point that people are sort of making fun of you about is that you are in no position to teach or make people aware of anything.

Honestly, I would wager there is not a single person on this forum that isn't AWARE that perspective is a necessary fundamental. I mean, you seriously come off like you just got out of perspective class (Remember people: HORIZON LINE!") and are just regurgitating it for people on the forum. A beginner will want a person that knows what they are talking about telling them how to improve, not someone who is right there with them.

I'm not saying this to be rude at all, btw. I am saying this because I think you are seeing a lot of the experienced artists on the forum making helpful threads and you want to help, too. That is commendable, but the reason why those people ARE so helpful is because they have decades of experience under their belt. If someone really doesn't know what a horizon line is or isn't even aware that perspective is what they need to start incorporating into their work, they need to take a Jr. High art class, not come to CA.org (yet).

The blind leading the blind. And in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. But there are tons of people with two-eyes so you should probably ask them to help you out. People with one eye are still helpful, but they have no depth perception. Metaphorically speaking

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

23. The Following User Says Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post

My good sir, I do believe I was simply suggesting that illustrations when paired with words are easier to follow, not that he can't teach. Now you on the other hand, are in fact, being rude. To insult someone for asking a question is as bad as telling them that since they don't draw exactly like you, they're wrong. So please, in the future, don't attack people for trying to help others, unless they're doing a complete 180° in their information they provide.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to AnonYmouse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "my good sir"?

Maybe it was "rude", but it needed to be said. I stand by it.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been really getting into my perspective drawing as its an area I so need to work on. I did think this thread would be full of advice I could instantly use but it seems like things have got a little heated in here. Anyway, there is no need to dwell.

Is there anyone here who have images of examples they would like to share? Any other recommendations for good books or videos or anything?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.