Sketchbook: Bobtail's sketchbook - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Bobtail's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jondawo: Thank you very much for visiting again . That's a really good idea - will try it out!

Jaik: Thank you! That link looks really good, much appreciated!!

--

Busy week again this week - passed my theory test though! I did some stuff in my sketchbook but difficult to get a good quality photo of it and I don't have a scanner. I've been trying to learn about good composition, which is where I'm really struggling with environments of my own.

Below is a study from imagination, trying to use 'the golden spiral'. It might not be the best quality but I'm happy I've learnt from it .

Edit: Woo, page 3!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Please drop by my sketchbook and help me improve!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Second post in a day - a new one for me! Feeling really inspired by all amazing work in other people's sketchbooks - need to work a lot harder to get there!

Study of a still from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Really tried to focus on his face and the emotion in it - felt sad painting it ! Also, my apologies to Jim Carrey for messing up his face!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there, you have a nice sketchbook here :3 If you're worried about faces I recommend doing lots of studies of head sculls. I think that's one of the best way's of gaining experience on how to draw the head.

All over stuff looks good :] keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Thanks for stopping by my SB!
    I really like post #15, #16 and #19
    you can tell the advice from peterhurman worked in your last environment, using them square flat brushes made your edges a lot better and understandable, maybe try some other textures when you've blocked in some basic colour

I watched a quick video from Feng Zhu today
    (If you haven't watched any of his video's give them a watch they're really helpful),
    he said it helps working from life a lot better to develop ideas because it gives you more knowledge about the way for example an 'environment' works,
    but it's just a suggestion, in need to start painting myself. Keep up the hard work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    telohs: Thank you

BenjaminJL92: Thank you for returning the favour! I love Feng Zhu's videos - I only just discovered them! That's a really good suggestion - something to do when it's actually light in the evenings when I get back from work!

--

Back to environments. This is from imagination trying to put together a lot of the things I've been learning recently (composition, how to draw the eye to the right places etc). I worked on it for 2 hours - it looks so terrible! I do feel like I'm making SOME progression though! I might continue with it and tidy it up, but I'm not sure if I should just move on to another one and practice my composition first...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have a nice little thread here. I know this is the sketchbook thread but you have some good ideas and sketches that you could push to the next level. I look forward to your progress. Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cameronator: Thank you very much

--

Have to say I've been slacking for the past week

Apologies for the bad picture quality - I really need to get a scanner. The first picture here is my first ever landscape drawing from observation, hahaha :'(. Practice makes perfect, I guess!

Then a few arm studies from a Burne Hogarth book I have - one of my kitten helping me out :p (hopefully I'm not breaking any rules by having her in the shot - just let me know if I am and I'll take it down!).

Finally a really bad thumbnail environment from imagination tonight, trying to focus on composition again (but massively messed up colours and value...).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the environment in post 65. We all have downtime, just relax and have fun drawing. Cute cat too, don't let them take his five minutes of fame away from him!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yochanan: Hehe, thanks

--

Just a bleh sketchy thing today. I feel like I've just forgotten how to draw/paint recently and undone all the work I'd done in this sketchbook . I think I just need to keep at it and draw more often!!

Edit: Eee, just noticed I'm now a LEVEL 2 GLADIATOR! Rawr! Well, that's cheered me up a bit at least

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick face study from a photo reference - trying to pick my colours to match the photo so I have the comparisons down the side. Her chin is so wrong ^_^!

Then a sketchy environment from imagination - still trying to work on my composition. I have some ideas for how I could improve the composition here but I did get really stuck (and I know it looks pretty bad!). I'm learning, anyway .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not qualified to crit? pfff youre crazy haha. i really like the fact that you do complete pieces(which is something i lack). that environment in the last post is looking really good, reminds me of the forest hideout in avatar, i hope you continue working on that piece. the hogarth studies are looking nice as well. and if anything, im the one not qualified to crit

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love your sketchbook - lots of really imaginative stuff.

That first portrait is looking nice, but her eyes are pretty far apart. Might be just how she looks though, I dunno. I like how you've been using crosshatching in your colouring. I find myself doing that more and more lately as well.. it just seems to fill out blank spaces nicely.

Great stuff, keep at it!

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive, and then go and do that.
    Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

My sketchbook | My DeviantArt | My Sketchblog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ghost_hardware: Haha, thanks! I reckon I'll go back to that environment concept when I've studied/practiced a bit more!

blue_skies: Thank you very much! I agree about the eyes - I think I jumped straight into colours before I'd done the structure of her face properly .

--

I've been putting this off for a long time... did my first study of an actual building . Actually reasonably happy with it as a first try! I at least feel like SOME of the perspective stuff I've been studying helped! It was also way more fun than I thought it would be!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Practicing noses and mouths - all from photo references. Thinking I need to look at my Hogarth book for them .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great studies and I love your imaginary works. I really would like to see more of them. And it's good to see you working with traditional and digital media. I think that one can learn a lot from each other.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Step: Thanks

Narrenzauber: Thank you very much I definitely agree about working with traditional and digital being very important (if not essential!).

--

Some Hogarth bums and then some face sketches - top two from a magazine and bottom was a fast from life in the work canteen :p.

Sorry again for the photo quality. I will get a scanner when I can afford it ! Also thinking of getting some shiny new anatomy books...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some circle/cylinder perspective practice (don't get too excited!!) :p. Then some random faces from imagination. Finally, an enviroment I spent a bit of time on last night - it's a bit rough at the moment but I actually like it so far :0. It's meant to be a village in the trees. Going to carry on with it anyway!

Did some more Hogarth studies and sketches in my sketchbook but I don't think I can continue subjecting anyone who reads this to my terrible photo quality :p hehe!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook.

I think you are definitely on the right path with your sketchbook. Looking at your studies, I think you might benefit from breaking up your studies.

For environments:
    -----------------
    -Composition: Just do lots of study focusing on line and value. The book "Framed Ink" by Marcos Mateu-Mestre is a great read on the subject. Jason Manley's composition video is also a pretty decent overview.

-Perspective: All sorts of great tutorials on the internet.

-Color: The only things for color that have worked for me are studying old master paintings and painting from life. Color and Light by James Gurney is the best book I've come across on the subject.

For Figures:
    ------------
    -Gesture: Focus on line, curves, and body language. The best figure drawing book I've read is "Figure Drawing For What It's Worth" by Andrew Loomis.

-Anatomy: Copying from anatomy books like Bridgman's is great, but what really helped me the most is actually sculpting ecorches as you get to learn about the muscles three dimensionally. Human Anatomy for Artists by Eliot Goldfinger is the best anatomical reference book I've come across.

-Form: Value and lighting studies!

-Color: Skin tones are rough. The only thing that worked for me was just painting from photos and bashing my head into my wacom.

When you do a study, consider focusing on one or two things, and as you get better, add more into the mix. It's not like I am a great artist, and I don't want to be so presumptuous as to tell you how to study. You are doing a lot of this anyway, but hopefully some of this was helpful. I look forward to seeing your future progress!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MT-Mystic: Thank you for the very detailed comment! I've been meaning to get a few new books soon so I might investigate some of the ones you mentioned . Great tips for my studies too, thank you!!

--

Been on a bit of a break recently. Not sure why, just haven't been feeling it . I was browsing and noticed the subject for this week's character of the week is really awesome, so going to try it out . Not focusing too much on getting my anatomy etc perfect - just trying to stay loose and have fun.

Just an initial sketch so far..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What an awesome sketchbook you have here. I enjoyed looking through it. I like your idea about staying loose and having fun...I'm trying to do that as well and just experiment with some stuff.

My Sketchbook: Criticisms and Feedback needed

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
    Lao-tzu, The Way of Lao-tzu

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bish0p2004: Thank you so much!

--

More stuff for CHoW - redid the composition as I wanted to emphasise the size of the robot and I'm trying to make my pieces look a bit more... I dunno, 'striking'? I'm much happier with it now anyway . Then just a close-up of the girl (Aoife). Reasonably happy with it so far, but not sure I'll get it done in time!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CHoW continued!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice sketchbook, and the robot+girl is coming along great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your studies are really paying off! Your proportions have improved, enviros are getting better, too. Are you still working on the enviro in post 70? I like the color and some of the ideas in that one. If you are still working on it, I would definitely try and work out the grounding of the piece if that makes any sense. I'm not sure if there's a ground plane in it, or if everything is suspended in the trees. That's what's off-putting to me right now.
    Keep up the hard work though!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mistle: Thank you very much!

Lemming-clone-: Thanks! I wasn't planning on doing any more to that particular one, but I was thinking when I've practiced a bit more I'd attempt the concept again. Thank you very much for the advice on it .

--

More work on my CHoW piece. Deadline coming up fast so rushing a bit !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you've definitively improved since the start, good work.
    For the Chow piece, i think the robot lacks a metallic aspect and there is something wrong with the light too that make the composition less attractive than in your thumbnails.
    keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really excellent stuff here. Your sketches are just phenomenal and I love seeing where your digital art is going.

Keep up the great work!

"Diligence is the mother of good fortune."
    - Miguel de Cervantes

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wiluz: Thanks for stopping by! I agree completely about the metallic aspect to the robot - I just didn't have the time/knowledge to fix it for that piece .

Art Minded: Thank you very much

--

Pretty long break - feeling a bit meh recently. Although I did pass my driving test, woo! Here's my finished CHoW piece as I never posted it to my sketchbook, and the beginning of a study of shiny metal armour (using a reference).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really like you colour work you have a great eye for colour and mood and atmosphere, really like the robot with the girl there is a real tenderness to the pice that makes it stand out to me. Really feeling your environment sketch painting, post 65 I think.

Def like to see you do more of these think this could be a really strong area for you.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 84