Major NEWS about Massive Black & Massive Black Shanghai

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Thanked 11,083 Times in 2,635 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Major NEWS about Massive Black & Massive Black Shanghai

Since Massive Black was born here on conceptart.org it is only fitting to share this news here first.

Much love!

jm

Austin , TX, July 26, 2011- Massive Black Inc., an industry leader in intellectual property development is pleased to announce that it’s Co-Founder and former President, Jason Manley, is acquiring Massive Black: Shanghai and both Chinese based production studios from the company. As a part of the transaction, Manley will no longer be a shareholder and director of Massive Black, Inc.

"During his tenure as President, Jason created the vision for Massive Black Shanghai, and his efforts led it to becoming the leading 3D production studio group in the entertainment industry. There is no one more suited to acquire our esteemed Chinese studios and drive them into the future. We wish him the best." said Mr. Hatala.

Christopher Hatala, one of the original Co-Founders of Massive Black, has been the company’s President since 2010, when Manley stepped away from the company to build www.theartdepartment.org. Hatala will continue on as the head of the company, with Co-Founder Coro Kaufman remaining as the Senior Art Director in the San Francisco firm.

Massive Black Inc. and Massive Black Shanghai will continue to produce content in collaboration with our clients, and successfully deliver high quality content for the entertainment industry. "Acquiring Massive Black Shanghai allows me to focus my companies efforts to serve the industry through community development, education, I.P. creation and global production. I have already begun to grow the teams and have returned to overseeing all production in China." confirmed Mr. Manley.

Looking forward, Mr. Hatala states, "Massive Black and Massive Black Shanghai care about one thing, first and foremost, and that is delivering the highest quality art for all our clients. We will continue to work to serve our clients, and move forward with producing our own intellectual properties. The teams are of the most talented in the field and the acquisition allows the studios to move forward in ways we never thought possible." Manley added, "Massive Black Inc. is the most talented concept art and animation house in the business. No one creates global intellectual property as well as they do. From building the vision for what goes on to become billion dollar franchises, to blockbuster films and games, they are the best in the business."

To learn more about Massive Black and Massive Black Shanghai, please visit http://www.massiveblack.com

About Massive Black Inc. and Massive Black Shanghai:

Massive Black is an industry leading full production artwork and asset development studio (2D, animation and intellectual property) that has contributed to hundreds of projects for multiple video game platforms, film, print, toys, comics and more. Massive Black Shanghai has contributed talent and production artwork and 3D to the biggest games, toys, and intellectual properties worldwide, and was the first next-gen game production studio producing content in China. Massive Black and Massive Black Shanghai were founded by Jason Manley, Chris Hatala, and Coro Kaufman in 2003 and 2005 and have contributed to projects for over 200 esteemed clients in the entertainment industry since inception.

Massive Black Inc. is located, in San Francisco and Massive Black Shanghai has locations in Austin Texas and Shanghai China.

Company Contact Information

Massive Black Inc
    3 Meacham PL
    San Francisco, CA 94109
    Phone : 415-344-0069

Massive Black Shanghai
    1688 Sichuan North Road
    Hongkou, Shanghai, China
    (Studios)

Business Contact
    Massive Black Shanghai
    4419 Ramsey Ave
    Austin TX 78756
    714-470-5208

Attached Images Attached Images    
    LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

thanoss Guest
    Sounds like good news for you.

Does this news mean that Massive black inc and massive black shanghai are two seprate companies?, also what does this mean for Theartdepartment?, will you be spending more time building the school up?.

thanks for all the work

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thanoss For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 924 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    For 7 years i have been inspired by MB and all you guys stand for. And im always happy that you guys continue to ambitiously move into the future.

I think you guys mean a lot to the CA world and you truly set the standard.

Keep inspiring us and keep being a leader for us.

-Aryeh

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JakehC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=273990

I was looking around for how Massive Black buildings looked like. I found this thread by you and the place looks pretty good. I wish I can own things like this. Are there any more photos that I can find, maybe how the outside look like?

My Sketchbook

Twinkle, twinkle little star
    I don't wonder what you are
    For by spectroscopic ken
    I know that you are hydrogen - Ian D.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is fantastic news for all involved, our clients, and all three teams.

Personally, I'm completely inspired.

This is something we have worked on together for a long time and it has taken very intense strategic planning. The companies visions are now independently focused on what they do best and will do in the future, which is important if the are to stay at the very top. It is a competitive world out there, and when we started MB there were no other companies out there like us. When I set up and founded the business in the US it was the first all-star concept art studio in the games industry. When I formed the Shanghai studios we were the only ones making AAA next-gen video games in China. There are now hundreds of groups who have followed and the entire industry has changed. Rather than look back at the following competition we choose to instead look to the future.

When I first brainstormed the ideas for what MB would be, I wanted to work with the best artists on earth, see them travel the world together to find inspiration and influences, to guide the company to support education here on ConceptArt.Org, and to work with the biggest names, on the most esteemed projects, and well...to always strive to do better. That has been achieved and will be in many more ways.

MB and MB SH has had the honor now of working with nearly every major entertainment company in the business. I remember thinking it was a good goal to have 30 clients, then 75, then 100, and as that total crossed 200, it was clear to me that MB was finally set as an institution and no longer a fledgling company. Thanks to the help of all the talented artists and leaders who work at the company and have helped the company and I over the years, to the clients who believed in us, and my partners who had my back for so long, the dreams were realized. I owe everyone a thanks for that and always will as MB and MB SH continue making great work and entertainment.

The future is a bright one, and the studios are working on fabulous projects. The MB Blog on massiveblack.com has a bunch of great work, and the new site for MB Shanghai will showcase work from projects like God of War 3, Bioshock 2, and more. I will be sure to keep everyone updated too.

Much appreciation and thanks for all the support over the years, it means a lot. Really.

Jason

Last edited by Jason Manley; July 26th, 2011 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Sorry, fixing your youtube tags!
    LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Vay View Post
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=273990

I was looking around for how Massive Black buildings looked like. I found this thread by you and the place looks pretty good. I wish I can own things like this. Are there any more photos that I can find, maybe how the outside look like?

haha...awesome. That was the first studio. We soon outgrew that space and eventually grew into two studios there. I am headed to Shanghai and will post some pics after I arrive.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Vay

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good for you, Jason! Keep up the great work and hope MB and CA will continue on for many years to come.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,055 Times in 944 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    congrats and thumbs up Jason!

Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Randis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Damn young people...

Always doing something bigger and better just when I decide that they're all idiots...

Nice job, Kemo Sabe...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 1,033 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This is nothing but awesome and the future looks to be nothing but awesome.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex Konstad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You guys are an inspiration! Congrats!

p.s if you're still looking for staff I make a wicked cuppa!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its great to hear about the growth of MB, can only mean two things: more awesome artwork, more awesome art books!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congratulations! That is great news for you. You have done a lot of things over these past few years. Thank you for Conceptart.org and the Art Department too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gratzie and more power East and West!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,425 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hm I tend to not like it when something big gets separated into little parts ...but I think thats some business stuff that I dont get ...so anyways : congratulations? ( I think ? )

Members who have read this thread: 5