Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Pose Maniacs is not really a good resource for figure drawing.

Photo reference itself can suffer from the same problems: stiff, awkward posing; images being presented as 'action' poses, but have a lack of tension in the body - any sensitivity to this is gained only through actual observation and practice with living, breathing people; whether it's a model in a life-drawing class or a pedestrian.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I'm going to do a week's worth of life drawing and do another super hero picture. Thanks.

Illustrator, 3D Artist and Animator
    Sketchbook
    www.drawallday.net
    deviantART

Thanks
    Well, I think everyone did say it, but here's my 2 cents as a comic artist myself (of sorts anyhow...)

A lot of people start out drawing comic art before life drawings. They also don't look at movement, fighting stances, balance etc when drawing and base everything on what they see in a comic book. This results in flat, unnatural and un-dynamic images.

You should in fact be doing the former. Start with life dawings, while I kinda like the old school feel you have with your comic art (very Jack Kirby-ish. A legend in he comic world) you haven't got flow. And we all could tell by the awkward pose and nature of the image.

I do Muai Thai and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (not EXACTLY MMA, because I do my Muai Thai more) and my understanding of action poses, fighting dynamics and positions is as a result, much better than most artists. I know where the hips and arms go, the center of balance, the look of the muscles, how people respond etc. I reccommend looking at action movies or even sparring sessions between boxers, martial artists etc. If you want flashier moves, take a gander at the performances which usually have more flourish.

Comic art is a simplified version of life drawing. If you can draw life VERY well, your comic art, will look even better. Don't start simple and draw simple. Start complex and correctly, then use what you've learned to simplify the objects down. That is essentially the same as cartoons.

I also recommend STUDYING comic art a bit, how they compose pinups and comic art anatomy and proportions. It is different to the usual anatomy.

Good luck.

www.devious-genius.com for more of my work!
    http://sweetchilliphil.deviantart.com To find my on Deviant Art!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetchilliphil View Post
    Well, I think everyone did say it, but here's my 2 cents as a comic artist myself (of sorts anyhow...)

A lot of people start out drawing comic art before life drawings. They also don't look at movement, fighting stances, balance etc when drawing and base everything on what they see in a comic book. This results in flat, unnatural and un-dynamic images.

You should in fact be doing the former. Start with life dawings, while I kinda like the old school feel you have with your comic art (very Jack Kirby-ish. A legend in he comic world) you haven't got flow. And we all could tell by the awkward pose and nature of the image.

I do Muai Thai and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (not EXACTLY MMA, because I do my Muai Thai more) and my understanding of action poses, fighting dynamics and positions is as a result, much better than most artists. I know where the hips and arms go, the center of balance, the look of the muscles, how people respond etc. I reccommend looking at action movies or even sparring sessions between boxers, martial artists etc. If you want flashier moves, take a gander at the performances which usually have more flourish.

Comic art is a simplified version of life drawing. If you can draw life VERY well, your comic art, will look even better. Don't start simple and draw simple. Start complex and correctly, then use what you've learned to simplify the objects down. That is essentially the same as cartoons.

I also recommend STUDYING comic art a bit, how they compose pinups and comic art anatomy and proportions. It is different to the usual anatomy.

Good luck.
    Cool! I took karate lessons long ago (Okinawan karate, yellow with green stripe). I understand what you mean.

Sketchbook
    www.drawallday.net
    deviantART

Thanks
    Quick Life Drawing Gestures

Action poses and female anatomy. Used youtube video references.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Sketchbook
    www.drawallday.net
    deviantART

Thanks
    sketches

Sketchbook
    www.drawallday.net
    deviantART

Thanks
    you have a sketchbook thread here, use it for studies and other stuff not related to a specific WIP process.

Thanks
    Here's my 2nd try.

Sketchbook
    www.drawallday.net
    deviantART

Thanks
    Better than before, he looks a bit more balanced but now it looks like he's singing "I'm a little teapot" his left arm (on our right) is off big time. Try to make sure your silhouettes read better. If I squint my eyes I should be able to tell what his pose is.

here's kind of what I mean

http://www.ewestlund.com/images/silhouettes.gif

if you want his hand on his hip there it needs to be more readable. If not repose that arm to be more dynamic.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abone114 View Post
    Better than before, he looks a bit more balanced but now it looks like he's singing "I'm a little teapot" his left arm (on our right) is off big time. Try to make sure your silhouettes read better. If I squint my eyes I should be able to tell what his pose is.

here's kind of what I mean

http://www.ewestlund.com/images/silhouettes.gif

if you want his hand on his hip there it needs to be more readable. If not repose that arm to be more dynamic.
    Glad it is looking better. I will keep silhouettes in mind next time I do another picture.

Sketchbook
    www.drawallday.net
    deviantART

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.