Art: Need advice please

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Need advice please

Hi, I'm new here.

I've a few questions about my direction and ability in my work. Firstly I absolutely love matte painting and would love to do it for a living, but I also love creature design/FX. They are basically my favourite things in the whole concept/art entertainment/ vfx field etc. I know my environment work probably isn't as good as my creatures, as I only drew my first environment back in 2009, yep I'am an absolutely noob, I've never really been an avid traditional painter or even interested in environment work until I discovered concept art in 2009, as I've always been the guy who drew monsters and wierd shit throughout school, as I was heading into tattooing, just the pencil and paper, right up until I discovered Photoshop and all the other amazing tools, now I can just see all this freedom and complication and its left me lost.. What do I do now, and shall I go back to pencil and paper? My trouble is , I love it all, but reality is you cant really be good at it all, unless your Alp Altiner

..In terms of foundation, I'm more skilled in anatomy, sculpture than environment rendering, but truly wish I could do environments, but there's just something about them that I cant quite get, I think its the randomness of nature that's such a difficult thing to get across. I mean I'd absolutely love to be a creature designer/FX, but I truly cannot see such a job in this field, where as environments are much more sought after I've been told. I'm looking for your thoughts, if you would be so kind, after looking at my work, any pros here can tell me what you think, be straight down the line with me too please so I can come to some conclusion on what to do next and start refining my skills, and having a plan of action for myself. Or if you want you can rate my work 1 star, as a few others have. Thank you

http://www.conceptart.org/index.php?...99&cat=updated

Last edited by pwnage99; July 25th, 2011 at 10:30 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I actually enjoy your environments more than the creatures, by what you've got on your CA gallery. The creatures are generally ungainly and feel like they need more care put into their proportions, I think doing more iterations and studying proportions of real animals could help there.

Your environments look interesting to me, but they need focal points and some more personality. Since they're imaginary YOU get to be the authority on what is there. Don't be afraid to put anything you think of in there. No reason to have blank hills and mountains. Otherwise they have good internal logic to them. Also challenge yourself by painting close up environments, like what you might see if you were standing on the streets of one of those cities.

I would definitely say continue with natural media as well as digital. I know how difficult digital is because nothing is an accident and you have to conciously create a lot of details that you could fake in a drawing with collateral information that comes from the textures of your materials and canvas/paper. I always start with a graphite sketch and/or watercolor wash, which I find is a great ice-breaker and foundation for a digital piece.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.