Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: *cloudcan's head is a can of clouds*

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

*cloudcan's head is a can of clouds*

FIRST OF ALL: All kinds of comments, criticisms and suggestions are DEEPLY appreciated!! Please bash me and bash me hard! Forget about my feelings and just be honest for me, please. Thank you.

-
    Okay I been putting this off too long, I'm finally making a sketchbook
    Hopefully a year later I will look on this and say Woah I improved so much.

My art blog helped me tremendously to do art and keep track of where I was going, so I figure this will be even better as I will get some exposure and some *much* needed bashing.

I always drew a lot but I never thought to do art seriously until recently (if March this year counts as recent lol). So I have LOTS of catching up to do (not good, because I'm a really slow learner) You guys have to help me out ok ^^

-
    Next up: A few things that's been on my plate

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Hey you! Yes, you! Crit me!

My CA.org Sketchbook 1 Last page Bashing much needed and appreciated!
    My daily art blog (all the junk and personal crap that my CA sketchbook doesn't have)

Feel free to shoot me a pm anytime~
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cloudcan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Things I've been working on this week:
    1. The blue watergunner character was to get me back into art after a weeklong art block. I always like to do pretty fantasy girls in nonfunctional decorative clothing, so I thought I'd go easy on myself you know loosen up. I like the character detailing but bg, composition and design is shitty. But I don't mind too badly becuase this was a doodle-level thing anyway xD
    2. I'm getting into environments! I've been working on composition since yesterday or so... after reading composition guidelines I tried testing them on some of my favorite environmental pieces (by other people) Also doubled as a value study. I don't know about anything else but it did open my eyes to composition D:
    3. Just random rough thumbnails to get me into environments

Coming up next: Chow#254 "Queen of Seren" doodles (not done yet!)

My daily art blog (all the junk and personal crap that my CA sketchbook doesn't have)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cloudcan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's quite beautiful. I'd love to see more.

And I'm on the same "improvement" train you are. I'm always trying to reach for that next milestone but commentary is hard to come by.

Visit my just a tad bit strange sketchbook: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=224247

My comic "Miss Doomsday" (here on CA): http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=223608

My comic "Opey the Warhead" (also here on CA):
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=130842

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zaccrockett For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with zaccrockett, I'd love to see more as well!

And, just keep commenting, offering your critique to others and they'll do the same in response. Works a lot.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Featheredface For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing stuff. And thanks for your comments on my character of the week sketches. I'd like to get more of your feedback on it, so PM me if you can!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CountBlackula For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lovely!!

Sketchbook

I am going to be amazing! .

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Marlo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really really nice style looking forward to see more!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Nerferinn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Zaccrockett, Featheredface: Thanks, and I will be sure to keep commenting on others works ^_^

@CountBlackula: Thanks, I'm off to check your latest wip!
    @Marlo and Neferinn, thanks for the kind words ^_^

And now for today's measly update
    .. I took a smaller adapter to the library so my laptop lagged all day ( aka, no photoshop no pretty digitals)
    Tried to learn human arms anatomy all day. It is amazingly complicated, layering and intertwining and crossing each other everywhere... I started with Loomis books and looked up models and medical dissections on Youtube, and touched myself all day (on the arms of course. what did you think )

I'm actually not too sure if I'm on the right track with these, but looking at previous arms I've drawn I can see my eye has improved so unless anyone has any suggestions, I'm moving on. I still need to work on where the muscle tendons of the forearm connect on both ends, then I'll call it a day for now and work on legs or maybe neck (both my weak points) while I learn to apply it to my own images.

Example page below (all the other pages are similar, full of random arm attempts and spindly notes)

up next: more anatomy, more composition, Queen of Seren (chow), and/or something prettyful

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cloudcan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your lines are quite messy. Try using as few lines as possible, it'll help you gain confidence and it looks cleaner.

Keep up the good work! I really like your digital stuff.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Umbravita For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Umbravita Thanks man! I flipped through your sketchbook and I see what you mean about being cleaner and more confident (love your figure studies!)

Still life from life to warm me up, now that Internet's in I'm off to learn some more anatomy (and using clearer linework ) It's too bad that I woke up so late, lost about 4 hours of time.

With below, I realized that I need major work on straight edges (not to mention I totally forgot about perspective) If anyone has any suggestions beside using the shift-click method, please tell me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your clearly way more skilled than I am and now I am definitely super intimidated when we start doing our projects XD but it will give me something to aspire to

Your sketches are really good, the only thing I have to say is to look at alot more poses to see how balance affects your piece. The first painting, her stance looks very awkward, and I know it wasn't finished, but just the way shes firing the gun, yet her legs are behind her in a straight position seem unrealistic in nature but that's all I have to say really.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Ceteri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is how I feel about my art block right now (~30 min speedpaint)

Today is SO a Can't-Draw Day.

@Ceteri: Thanks, though I'm not 'clearly way more skilled' than you I probably just been drawing longer, is all. I'm a very slow learner x(
    You are totally right about the pose, poses have always been one of my weakest points, especially poses that look natural and active (I have heard many times that my poses are stiff, unnatural, boring/awkward) and I wasn't thinking much when I drew this piece, which probably made it worse. Thanks a lot for the comment, I will definitely try harder on the poses the next time I draw. ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudcan View Post
    This is how I feel about my art block right now (~30 min speedpaint)

Today is SO a Can't-Draw Day.

@Ceteri: Thanks, though I'm not 'clearly way more skilled' than you I probably just been drawing longer, is all. I'm a very slow learner x(
    You are totally right about the pose, poses have always been one of my weakest points, especially poses that look natural and active (I have heard many times that my poses are stiff, unnatural, boring/awkward) and I wasn't thinking much when I drew this piece, which probably made it worse. Thanks a lot for the comment, I will definitely try harder on the poses the next time I draw. ^_^
    I so know where you're coming from. I have entire weeks like that.

Visit my just a tad bit strange sketchbook: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=224247

My comic "Miss Doomsday" (here on CA): http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=223608

24. The Following User Says Thank You to zaccrockett For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @zac Thanks, great to know I'm not alone! I guess the only thing to do on these days is take a break stretch and draw again.

The leg is a bit wobbly, but beside that I have no idea as I have *very* little experience with mecha design and such.... thought I'd try something new xD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow this last one is looking great I like the girl's legs, it somehow catches my attention and everything else on the picture I see only later.
    Keep on those anatomy studies, they will help you a lot.
    And I like that screaming thing. Would be a nice painting on a wall

27. The Following User Says Thank You to vanaga For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your updated piece and the only thing I really have to say about it is that the woman's facial details (even though I know its a fast sketch) seems like each feature's placement is not really accurate to the normal human being. Also the way her leg is curved is a bit odd but besides that great job. Your sense of lighting/shadowing is very accurate!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Ceteri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your work!
    Your colors are really powerful but not too saturated and your values are looking good, too.
    However your lines are quite messy and your arm studies look a bit stiff.
    Also the pose on the chick with the gun is a bit out of balance.
    If she throws her torso forward like that wouldn't she have to balance that out with her arms?

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Xelar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh damn, next person to stalk You have pretty good works so far, especially I love your work on color palette- it keeps nice contrasts yet doesn't make eyes tired.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Namae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @vanaga Thanks dude!! you give me a much needed ego boost xD
    @Ceteri I hope the face is fixed now! I'm still figuring out the leg.
    @Xelar Spot on, many people say my drawings (esp poses) look really stiff. I've been trying more loosening techniques lately so hopefully that will help. And you're totally right about the gun girl too, originally she was standing but for some reason I wasn't thinking and decided to make her a flying ballerina.. :C
    @Namae Haha thanks, I like to think color is one of my stronger points. But what happened to your sketchbook? The last post is in April. I'd like to stalk you too :o
    -
    Update on the robot and girl pic:

Issues I'm struggling with right now:
    1. The girl's extended leg... I want to keep that curve of the leg while making it anatomically correct .. possible? I don't know. Redline would be appreciated, otherwise I'm going to try posing in front of the mirror.
    2. The mechanical bits. Lol I have a feeling this is something I just have to work out. I've been looking up a lot of robot and machinery pics, I guess I just need more practice!
    -off for a break from this piece .. architectural environments D:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The face is fixed yea and jsut that leg is it. Have you ever thought of trying to finish this piece as well?'
    btw yes you can fix the leg just point the toe towards us (which means adding detail)

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Ceteri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Ceteri Haha thanks, it's too bad that your sketchbook was 'temporarily discontinued' but I'm sure you know best about what you need at this time.

Late update:
    An environment set I did yesterday or so (I actually feel like I've been really busy but somehow I don't have results to prove it! sad)

And some leg anatomy that I did (I decided, it's more important to get a general sense of the whole body then return, rather than really being good at arms at the expense of still not knowing how to properly form legs)
    Nothing special, just trying to memorize the bones and front muscles from Loomis book. (I tried to be neater/clearer like some people said!)

(sorry if it's big, it looks small on my monitor)
    Going to fnish legs muscles by tomorrow, and play around a little with them.
    PS I know artists don't need to know the names of the muscles, but I remember them a bit better if they have names, instead of thinking 'that big muscle there..'

38. The Following User Says Thank You to cloudcan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey cloudcan! Thanks a lot for the nice comment in my SB, I appreciate. You have a lovely painting style, can't wait to see more of your work. Those environnements are looking neat, I always wondered how artists got that clean, semi-transparent/foggy look. The legs studies look sweet too!

You asked for a redline on the robot piece so although I also need to work on anatomy I tried to help out a bit. I messed around with it in photoshop and I know this isn't what you wanted for the leg, but it feels like she was sitting too far back on the shoulder for her right leg to be nearly straight. Maybe if you rotated the hips in our direction? Well either way I figured it was worth a try, it's not perfect but the idea's there. Feel free to ignore this though.

I love this kind of piece, I hope you'll finish it.

SKETCHBOOK! IT'S FULL OF HOT RUSSIAN GIRLS WHO WANT TO MEET YOU AND WEIGHT LOSS/TEETH WHITENING SECRETS DISCOVERED BY A NEBRASKA MOM WITH NO ARMS!

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Robodrey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Girl and Mech bot came out nice. Also I like how, in the environment, you were able to create a city-like-scape out of simple shapes and varying values.

I wish I could have something constructive to add, but, I am a terrible critique-er. however, some more studies like the arm one would be neat to see.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Featheredface For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Robodrey Wow thanks, your tealline helped a lot. You are totally right about her position, and it does look MUCH better the way you did it. I'm still working on it though (another Can't-Draw Day .. fff)
    "Feel free to ignore this"...? Why would I ignore your helpful advice??!?

@Featheredface Thanks though I probably won't finish the girl/mech piece, mostly because I don't think I can finish the bot without further studies on mechanics, metals and such. Thanks for the rest of the comment, too! You'll see lots of boring anatomy studies for a while yet, no worries

Here are some failed city scape (ref from photo/painting) from today. They took HOURS to do, mostly because I was trying to get straight edges and it took forever.

I need major advice. I'm running into a wall here. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong??

I did use perspective lines, btw, but it was on a sep layer. I feel like there is an issue with the lines (I especially have a hard time getting lines to go the right angle by hand to match with the perspective) I just don't know what to do. Should I just 'try harder'? do I just need more practice? or is there something I'm missing??!??! I need advice badly!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    but what's your problem

perspective of this image?

drawing straight lines/ edges?

or something else?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by takashmen View Post
    but what's your problem

perspective of this image?

drawing straight lines/ edges?

or something else?
    mostly the straight lines/edges. But everything else too, just the general crappiness. I just can't get it to look like a proper building. Oh boy do I sound noob -runs away to draw girls-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    can you post photo you used or link when i can find it?

check out some sites, maybe they will help

http://broadviewgraphics.blogspot.com/
    http://vimeo.com/20528706 it's whole tutorial, but look carefully on technique he use
    (lasso)
    also try paint only using hard round brush on 100% opacity

for perspective issue this shapes are helpful

go through this one too
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=201403

cheers

47. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to takashmen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    K. This is going to sound really dumb (and probably is), but you say you're painting a cityscape when all I'm seeing in either pic is one building.

Maybe if you indicated other buildings behind it, it would make more sense? Perspective needs distance to work, even if it's only sketched in. Good luck.

49. The Following User Says Thank You to alesoun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [@ takashmen] Wow those artists you linked me to are AMAZING -jawdrop- Thanks for sharing man!
    As for the video, it is still loading .. once I finish watching that I'll try again using the hard round at 100% opacity only. Thanks ^^

@alesoun Well I reasoned that I wouldn't be able to draw a cityscape if I couldn't draw even a single building. But you have a good point, I will definitely give it a try tonight. Thanks!!

@zaccrockett below (didn't want to make more artless new posts) You are kidding me right O_O but thanks dude!

Last edited by cloudcan; July 31st, 2011 at 08:52 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful environment pics there. Quite lovely.

52. The Following User Says Thank You to zaccrockett For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2