CHoW#254 :: Queen of Seren - Page 9
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Worked up a back view and added some color. This is still rough, but enough for me to start plotting my final with. Everyone's stuff is looking so good. I'm a little biased in loving dan liimatta's, because I've been cracking out on his sketchbook the past couple days.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Super cool entries everyone !!!! I'm a bit late on this one, started today. but i'm determined to get this thing finished on timeee!

Trying to kind of base my design around the fact that she has a guide familiar, kind of like a seeing eye dog. The removal of vision is to create complete synchronicity with the familiar. Still have nooooo idea what to do with the face.

Heres what i've got so far

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NailBiterMR For This Useful Post:

kingkostas is offline Train to help world with art someday...
    Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,961 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The work done for this topic is already awesome!!!I didnt have a lot of time to work on this one, but here mine anyway.
    The young queen and her gift

lol NailbiterMR i see we had the same idea in mind . The silhouette looks lovely

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @KingKostas: LOL! Posted at almost the exact same time too . Thank you! Yours looks AMAZING those colours are breathtaking.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to NailBiterMR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Scanned in my drawing. I'll add the jewerlry in the painting. Hoping I'll have enough time to finish.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Doubt I'll finish this, no time these days to draw.

Name:  20110730-Queen-of-Seren-1.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  202.9 KB

Wanted to do something less human, even though she's blind she can see through her acolyte.

Niva's Links: Sketchbook | Eternal Seven Website
    Doomsday Dream Clan Artists: Clanlord | Headhunter
    Team CHOW III: Doomsday Dream Clan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I started a second design, though I'm still debating whether to pursue the original one I posted or tidy up this one.

Really great work everyone, Kingkostas I think yours is fantastic.

Name:  Queen3WIP.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  58.0 KB
    Name:  Queen3WIP3.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  64.1 KB
    Name:  Queen3WIP5.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  73.7 KB

The idea is that part of her becoming Queen involves a quest of her own, and in her left hand I'll have her holding a knive - blinding herself for ceremony.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lucassie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys I think this is my final. Thank you for your previous comments. Sorry about my bad English

Ps: I judt bring back some of the detail

Last edited by shadowind; July 31st, 2011 at 12:17 AM. Reason: refine image

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Lucassie Please remember that this is a design challenge and that a minimum of 3/4 of the character must be visible. Your composition does not currently meet with the requirements.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Current progress: Crits very much welcome! Will give my comments and feedback later, am very tired and sticky and sweaty. My room is a sauna.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Drygrass For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whenever I came here I'm like: "Oh man, I suck. Got to draw more..."
    Hope I'll finish mine in time.

Some crits:
    Drygrass - Alaways a pleasure for my eyes to see nice clean linework Can't wait to see your progress;
    shadowind - Nice design. Maybe too blury, I ilked it better before. You can try adding stornger highlights on her shoulder pauldrons;
    Lucassie - Cool idea. But remmember the 3/4 rule. I am not sure if that counts;
    kingkostas - I love the simplicity. You've probably heard this before but she looks a little too short to me;
    Forrest_I - Good idea. Watch for the back light;
    Quinn Simoes - There is no need to say you are awesome ;
    cloudcan - Great flow. And I love your colours;
    Dranyer - Just WOW.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to st.s For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the words guys, very appreciated.

shadowwind- i really like your elongated design, but i think you lost a lot of detail in the final... try bringing in some more lights.

kingkostas - great painterly approach, but i think she's almost too suggestive at this point, maybe just a tiny bit more detail wouldnt hurt. but her pet looks fantastic.

NailBiterMR - nice start, hope to see it finished, i wonder what compelled you and kingkostas to throw in a pet, I guess it would be good for a blind queen to have a seeing eye alien.

Dranyer - Thanks, I futzed with the arms a bit, not sure if she's still wonkified. Tried to give her a tense look, like she's bracing for the crown.

cloudclan - Thanks for the kind words, you definately got what im going for, glad it comes accross. Im not sure how exactly to fix the comp at this point, I know its a tad too much dark space without much to pull the eye. I like the flow of yours, its a very beautiful start.

One last post before final, still in the fight. Everyones work gave me the energy to push this one through.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vertebra For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually had a lot of time to work on this. Just got stumped on how to color something in greyscale.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wip -- Crown would be the opulent decoration I think a royal would choose to cover the scars.

Love the brief but been strugling to convey a light and serene outfit!!

Always strive for perfection. You will never achieve it, but will learn so much more in the striving.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ********read explanation before/ respond before deleting post please and thanks ************

So my friend cryocytota http://www.conceptart.org/forums/member.php?u=319984 wanted to participate in this challenge but has been having a strange error while trying to post his work. (error attached in image below). So i'm going to post it on his behalf, hopefully he can get some comments and crits : D

If a mod reads this. Would I be able to make a post on his behalf in the finals thread? Or is there a way that this error can be fixed? Thanks in advance

So here is the description of the character, the image in progress and the image of the error. Big thanks to all those who read this : )

--------------

Everything here is bloody brilliant. The skill on display is incredible.

Also, this is my first time posting!

Also also, I already posted this, but it didn't take for some reason. I spent a good 30mins writing a description, but that got wiped out and I'll be buggered if I'm going to type it all again because I'm tired and I want to go to bed!

Actually, f*** it, I'll type it all over again because why not? The sun's up anyway.

Ahem.

The blinding process is performed by skilled surgeons wherein the eyes are removed and the orbits are hermetically sealed with a highly acidic resin from a local variety of carnivorous plant. In ancient times, the procedure was performed with a heated ceremonial blade in order to cauterise the wound - a very painful ordeal that remains a cultural stigma to this day, and is most commonly the basis for the stereotype that the Seren possess a "barbaric" culture.

Naturally, females of her species do not possess very large ornamental horns - this trait is genetically reserved for males. However, because of her regal status, her own female horns have been sculpted to reflect her status as a ruler. The arch signifies stability, wisdom, and the cyclical nature of life on Seren. The sculpting is an uncomfortable, but non-painful process.

Her gown is made from various plates of leathery, chitinous shells of the local mega-insects on her continent, as well as the plumes from the offspring of giant coastal sea-birds. The ordeal of collecting these feathers from the giant, almost man-sized chicks requires not only courage, but deftness and agility, as the most common roost for the giant birds is on sea stacks that rise nearly half a kilometre above the waves.
    ility, as the most common roost for the giant birds is on sea stacks that rise nearly half a kilometre above sea level.

Last edited by NailBiterMR; July 30th, 2011 at 03:25 PM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to NailBiterMR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @NailBiterMR You can post on their behalf. Just make sure the files are named correctly with his username so we can tell who it belongs to Unfortunately, we can't do anything about the error, but it seems to only effect new accounts so with any luck it should be gone in a week or so.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Eofn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cowboy surfer - The scarf/drapery that she's wearing looks like it's made out of fur to me, and looks super heavy! I think that adds a lot of heaviness, otherwise the dress looks light enough to me. Maybe you could alter that accessory so it looks lighter. I do like the idea of some big scarf draping behind her =) I'd also change the color of it, since it looks so much like the crown's color but is complementary to the other colors in the dress. As for the rest: watch the high cheekbones and sharp jaw, that adds a lot of age to a woman.
    Jetpack - I always have the exact same problem with greyscale hahah. You can't get all the color information in at once, maybe start with a color overlay, brushing the colors in without losing the values and then do a paintover from there? Others might have way better tips for that though. I like the idea of light coming in from behind her =) Is it a room or a door though? It doesn't make much sense to me that she would be (un)dressing right in front of a door, unless it's part of a ceremony. Could be cool if it were something like leaded glass.
    vertebra - Love the image, though I tend to flick over to the guy that's about to crown her, I think it's because his shirt is super white and light compared to the rest of the image.
    Drygrass - the background feels a bit empty to me, maybe you could add some kind of gradient and vague forms in the back of the space that she's in so it looks a bit less like they're standing in a void. That's only final composition/image though, I like what you did with the queen's design, especially her headdress. Her eyes look a little too focused to me though, I think it's because that the shadow near her eye still reads like white of the eye and then it looks like she has an iris... maybe if you made the eyes another color than the mask, that could be solved.

--
    Alright so here is what I think is my final, I'll post it together with the wips and turnaround in the finals thread tomorrow, just hoping I can get a little more critique...! xD

So, some symbolic meaning, in case it doesn't come across... xD The idea behind this is that she has been blinded by being forced to stare into the same sun that she is about to celebrate. The yellow in her dress represents the sunrays that will descend upon Seren in the summer, bringing warmth and joy to the planet (I'm tempted to do a winter outfit for her now lol) All her headdresses, in this case a form of turban, are overlaid with a netting of pearls to represent the ability to see so much more (represented by a hundred eyes) by being blinded. Her shoes have heels, but no soles in the area of the ball of her feet and her toes, so she can feel what the ground is like and with that, stay on the right path throughout the palace or pinpoint where she is.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rengin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Rinibee Thank you very much! Hopefully that error clears up, and I apologise for any multiple posts I may have caused while messing with my settings trying to get the post to work! You have no idea how frustrating that was...

And also, thanks NailBiterMR

Incredible work ,everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm starting to panic about getting this done in time, didn't leave nearly enough time for the actual painting. OH WELL, sleep is for the weak.

Name:  SerenProgress03.png
Views: 315
Size:  457.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank u all for the nice feedback guys, some hours down the road...
    Mood board and more defined thumbnails. Again, Love to hear whatever u think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hope I have enough time to finish!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Does anyone have any last minute tips?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mehh mine turned into an illustration instead of an actual character design. Not going to submit this for the finals thread, just going to show it here.

My sketchbook:
    Fumble

My brothers sketchbook:
    Braintree

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil_J. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hEY, guys, here is what Im going for. Time to let this go and play some PS3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Worked out the dress and tried an alternative look.

Name:  queenserenesheetsmall2.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  218.4 KB

Metafix, Smolin and Revidescent thanks for the feedback!

Metafix- Loving the color in your piece and the idea behind it. The shoulders seem a little stiff, maybe relax them a little?
    Smolin- I like the design of your headdress, maybe you can bring more of that motif in the dress, pulling the look more together.
    Revidescent- I really like the design of your dress, very interesting. I hope you get to finish.

Now for the actual work! doubt that I'll finish though.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rustveld For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    snippet - The scroll doesn't look like it's resting on the stair steps to me. It looks like it's resting on a much higher stair step and at a different angle. Otherwise I'd say the placement of the objects there looks a little random to me, there's no real sign of a ceremony going on because she's just standing in a bare environment with no signs of activity. Not sure if it's too late to fix right now =\
    Fumble - I still like the fact that she's under a canopy of trees and the light falling on her because of that =)
    ikuru - I gotta say I like the shape of the hat directly above the one you chose (i think?) better. Otherwise, interesting, I'm curious to see what the final result is =)
    Rustveld - Thanks for the comment, and I agree the shoulders are stiff. However, I think I'll leave them that way, because I think it ties in nicely with something Aly Fell said earlier in the thread about emphasizing subtlety of expression during CHoW. The idea is that even though my queen is trying to be regal while she walks through the hallway, she is still blind and on heels. I think the swaying arms, extreme positioning of the feet, slightly opened mouth and stiff shoulders would add to the feeling of uncertainty and disorientation that she would have. That being said, do they make more sense? As for your design, hope you'll make it! It looks great! =D

Last edited by Rengin; July 30th, 2011 at 06:51 PM. Reason: reply to Rustveld

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rengin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, thanx for the feedback. The burry effect is my intention to suggest the misty environment in the Seren planet, and the glowing from the queen after she received some magical power from the blinding ceremony. I might not successfully did it . Great job all of you guys

Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 604 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Dranyer
    Looking really good & thanks (but don't hold your hopes up with my piece - if I actually make the deadline with this one I'll be surprised).

Metafix
    Thanks and the half-tone pattern was just there to give some texture - and you can more easily see what I've done since (for my own sake).

So got bored with this one today - so mostly did some background BS and I'll probably not make the deadline as I worked on other things instead.

but ~ current state. (half-tone patterns indicates areas I haven't touched at all since the first rough from Friday) - the light of the structure is basic and needs to be fixed as I mostly focused on getting the perspective and structure right.

SB. p31 updated 25.04.2012.

42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dan liimatta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wont be able to finish this so because I started tonight (30th) but I thought you might want to see a rough take on what I am thinking.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1312083455

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After reading Ally Fell's post about expression, I took a critical look at mine, and realized that it was unbearably stiff and lifeless. I became so disgusted that I started something completely new, but that just turned to crap also. It didn't help that the design was just plain bad, teetering between Vegas showgirl and Cleopatra movie reject from the 60's.

Now I've got that quote from Young Frankenstein going through my head: "No. No. Be of good cheer. If science teaches us anything, it teaches us to accept our failures, as well as our successes, with quiet dignity and grace...."

Anyway, here's the garbage that I've been trying to polish and pass off to myself as worthwhile, but I'm not being fooled! Next week!

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Smolin For This Useful Post:

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3