CHoW#254 :: Queen of Seren - Page 8
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: CHoW#254 :: Queen of Seren

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Metafix
    I'm going to work a lot more on the wall behind her, it's very bland at the moment, maybe i'll add a curtain or something. I also want her to be standing on rose petals. She still needs a lot of work as well though.... Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks Dan, your's is looking good too!

facebook page

------------------------------------------------------
    --Links of friends & such--
    Kyle Nelson
    GEP-Comic

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dan liimatta
    true, I am thinking she has to be beautiful, I was just starting to think to get some sketch going on this and well, what comes to mind is the concepts of Iain Mccaig and thoes of avatar (avatar did it quite well, adding the cat nose etc) etc, its hard to remain in the beauty area while removing eyes too much and adding too much unfamiliarity Im guessing...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ikuru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanx for all the comments, I think I have to rush a little bit. I do think that my propotion is odd somehow when I made the body to fit into the costume. Because she is a alien? .
    Here is my next step. I may add a Background later. I think I need that

Attached Images Attached Images  

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shadowind For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres the update.

Revidescent: Thanks for the crit, I see what you mean about the perspective, you actually found my vanishing point on the dot.. I was going for a birds eye view, but its been hard to match with the figures, and little other objects for reference, hopefully the final will fix this issue.

I dig your character, odd shape, i can imagine the whole culture being very odd to us in their traditions just by seeing their princess so decked out.

Angel Intheuk: Thanks!

snippet - Thank you, I decided to stick to it because of your comment... I usually flake on comps frequently. You characters robes look very eloquent, like arabian silk, very cool. You could be a tad more liberal with your darks tho, she is getting lost in the background.

blazinwolf: So I tried moving her around a tad, hopefully she looks more centered. Thanks for the crit!

Keep it up people, and thank you for your inspiration!

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vertebra For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys!
    I'll hopefully have some work to post later... ehh.
    great stuff so far though everyone!

I was just going to say, maybe not for this challenge, but in general in the future Cirque Du Soleil pictures would probably be a great reference for coming up with some interesting costumes/character designs
    http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/en/hom...hotos/all.aspx

Available for Commissions

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ArtFish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not sure I will get a chance to finish this, but this is an interesting topic, so did a little rough in of her face -thinking to go with milky, blind eyed look. costume and full body hopefully will follow

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    all I had time for today...
    dont know what Im going for or if Ill have the time etc.
    all kinds of feedback is mostly welcome.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ikuru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okie dokie.. using the rule of thirds I redesigned the composition a little, I think it feels less restricted now.. I was trying to capture the joy of her youth and in the act of creation in the playfulness of the pose, I felt she should be fairly childish still when not in a public situation I think I've got the anatomy right now (thanks to the awesome aging guide ) and fairly accurate for a teenage girl, do you think?

My only concern is with the bottom right hand corner which is painfully empty to me.. any suggestions?
    Name:  finalsketch.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  34.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    finally got around to working on something other than just the head, so here are my roughs for the rest of the character. i'm pretty disappointed with them but i think #1 is slightly less dreadful than the others.

Fatum Istum Stultorum ~Durandal
    sketchbook
    Blog
    Available for hire!

15. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Dranyer For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

NickyBeats is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,962 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Dranyer - haha damn dude! id love to hear a crit on my piece of crap, if thats how you rip your own work! these look awesome man!

ok another small update- started messing around with colors, and lighting...

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NickyBeats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very inspiring work so far people! im going to join in as well. Some simple block in of values:

My sketchbook:
    Fumble

My brothers sketchbook:
    Braintree

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    liking those dranyer, 1st and 3rd pop out to me but I think third is a little more regal and a little less mage?

About the 3/4 rule, I think Im showing close enough to 3/4 and if Im not then Id rather be disqualified than edit it just for a rules sake.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to GDonaldson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ikuru - You can probably push these way more, they're mostly fairly similar in shape. That said, I kinda like the 2nd one in the 1st row, and the 3rd one in the last row - the idea of a blind queen who also has restricted arms is kind of neat. The 2nd one in the 3rd row also has some interesting things happening.

A-May - The comp is much better now, though her pose is kind of stiff. If you want a playful look, try some twists and flow, really get a gesture down, something like this:

(Don't look at these proper weight or anatomy, heh. Just trying to get the point across - the pose needs to flow.)

Drayner - Everyone's their own worst critic. :B I like them all, although personally, I think the first is actually the weakest - the pose is interesting, and the bottom of the skirt is nice, but the second and third are much more unique, especially that criss-cross stuff going down the centre of the second dress.

NickyBeats - You've got some wonky anatomy at the moment. Her head looks really tiny on a long neck, and her shoulders are super wide. Also, all the rough lines on her face and the huge muscles on her neck are really aging her. Paintover:

Fumble - Pretty good comp, but make sure the queen herself doesn't get lost in the background - right now, her head and the stuff behind her are almost identical in value, when the face should really pop as a focal point. Either toning the BG down a bit or really popping the values on her, maybe a bit of complexity to draw the eye, should help.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Revidescent For This Useful Post:

NickyBeats is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,962 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    revidescent - thanks for the crit man. appreciate you taking the time for that, but im gonna keep it more or less the way it is. im gonna make some changes to the head, drop it down a little, but i like how she appears aged. i think it adds to the story a bit, since shes standing over her mothers coffin, and has been left in charge of a planet, i think she would be forced to age rather quickly. also, the anatomy doesnt bother me, seeing as its on another planet, not earth. i am imagining this planet to be one that was settled faaar in the future, and given the conditions and gravity of the planet, the human body has adapted to better suit this planets environment. but thanks for the crit, its appreciated!

trying to push the colors more, really want it to be a very colorful planet, that way, the queen is forced to emphasize her humility by denying herself sight.

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Revidescent : the background is fantastic, you've done a great job of indicating the festive atmosphere, i'm really excited to see how the character turns out.

Forrest_I : you might try opening up the pose a bit (so it's less in profile) to show off more of your design, right now it's a little hard to make out.

angelknight : i love the dress but her arms look a little too small right now.

Metafix : this looks awesome so far! the lighting in background is amazing and the costume is great.

jiina : really nice job on the face, the rest of the design seems very sparse at the moment.

glam : the energy in your piece is great although she looks closer to 85 than 15 at the moment.

dan liimatta : really awesome so far, i can't wait to see where you take it from here.

shadowind : that looks awesome, i love all the small detail, texture.

vertebra : really nice composition overall, might wanna take a look at her arms they look wonky to me at the moment.

ikuru : i like the first one (top left)

A-May : you might try making the figure larger and more central in the composition, right now she feels more like a minor decoration in the image rather than the focus.

NickyBeats : i like the aggressive design. i agree with Revidescent on the anatomy issues. at the moment the image is very dark and muted. a few highlights would really make it pop.

Fumble : lookin' good so far. right now it looks like she's in a forest environment, not sure if this is intended or not.

Fatum Istum Stultorum ~Durandal
    sketchbook
    Blog
    Available for hire!

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dranyer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lots of great stuff everyone! Here is a sketch I did last night, still got a lot to fix. Looking forward to seeing everyone's final.

Name:  chow.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  43.9 KB

28. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Twig For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's what I've got so far. Trying to create contrast between the creepiness of missing eyes with the serene outfit/backgroud.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Ryan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @shadowmind You are right about the proportions but I think it works well, I'm loving the silhouette and colored textures!

@vertebra I quite like the queen's design and her expression like she doesn't know when the crown's going to come crashing down xD I would just try to unify the composition a little, sometimes the eye tends to linger on the guys on the left.

@grimstitch looking forward to an update

@ikuru Nice presentation xD I personally, like r1c2 and r2c4 the best. Short skirt just doesn't seem queenly to me..

@A-May Yeah that corner definitely needs something. Maybe some discarded clothes on the ground, or a shadow from next the window? (I'm assuming you'll add her clothes later, too)

@Dranyer Wow those look great... Costume-wise, I like #2 best, #1 while having a great shape and energy, seems too light, more princessy than queenly. The third one is pretty mature looking imo.

@NickyBeats Liking it so far, but she seems more like a strong warlord queen than a young blinded teenage queen of a serene land. (mostly the shoulder straps, and the dark gloomy colors in general) If that's what you're going for, good job!

@Fumble Keep posting, no comments at this stage as I can't tell how it would turn out xD

@Idriu95 Interesting take on the queen, can't wait to see how it turns out.

@Twig Very interesting skirt... Just be careful that her waist keeps natural volume instead of pancaking.

Here is my morning work, I know so boring xD I guess I'm playing more with color and composition than the actual queen...

(sorry if the pics I'm posting are too big, my monitor makes them look smaller than they are)

@Andrew Ryan Very elven-vibe xD I like it, just be careful with the folds near her armpits.

Hey you! Yes, you! Crit me!

My CA.org Sketchbook 1 Last page Bashing much needed and appreciated!
    My daily art blog (all the junk and personal crap that my CA sketchbook doesn't have)

Feel free to shoot me a pm anytime~

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cloudcan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dranyer Yes number 1 is posed more interestingly but in terms of design I think i prefer number 3... not sure she looks quite young enough though?

Vertebra really liking her expression right now, there appear to still be some perspective issues but I know you're working on those

Idriu95 that looks awesome so far. Really like her head piece. I noticed a few awkward line tangents that you may want to just tweak slightly (not to be nit-picky, just thought you'd like to know haha)

Available for Commissions

34. The Following User Says Thank You to ArtFish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just dropping by to say that I really like the stuff that everyone has come up with in the last few weeks. Great topic choices as well, the moderators are doing an awesome job.

This weeks topic got me inspired and I decided to look around for some ref and found huge threads dedicated to people with extrodinary eyes here. So I did some studies based on the topic.

Name:  modeleyes.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  95.9 KB

Keep working everyone, can't wait for the finals thread to fill up!

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tetrodotoxin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Small update, mostly messing around with color and slowly sinking my queen deeper into darkness.

Revidescent Thanks very much for taking the time to makes comments, they are very helpful!

Dranyer I like #3, but they are all very cool.

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Quinn Simoes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am not so sure about the colors....I kind of really wanted her skin to be green, but I couldnt get a color combo that worked for me....so I went with a mostly white dress!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lissinator - I think the mostly white dress, together with the cape and the long flowy dress is making her look more like a bride now. If you wanted to go for a green skin, why not a royal blue dress?
    Quinn Simoes - She still looks so cute with those flowers somehow xD Love the contrast though.
    Tetrodotoxin - Thanks for the link! =D
    cloudcan - Boring... what?! xD I like the kimono feel!
    Andrew Ryan - Nice start! To me the misty bg adds to the creepiness though. I like the overall feel though, creepy might be the way to go.
    Dranyer - Thanks!
    Idriu95 - To me the serpent's head feels like he should be in front of the throne, casting a shadow on it. Not sure if that's what you intended though. Otherwise, great work!
    NickyBeats - Looks good, but it's suuuuuper dark on my monitor (and I think this one is set pretty bright - anyone is allowed to contradict me though! xD) I like the color scheme.
    Dranyer - To me, 1's dress isn't very appealing, probably for the simple fact that I can't really see how the dress works when it's not in motion. 2 looks the most regal to me actually, I like that one best, save for the heavy underside of the dress.
    jiina - Honestly, your ideas sound good to me. It reminds me very much of a royal portrait so I'm thinking royal palace hallway. As for the dress, are you planning on keeping her that bare? It's funny because I've been commenting on that kind of stuff with other posters but with you, and all it's non-sexual serenity her nakedness doesn't bother me.
    dan liimatta - I am intrigued by the filter you put over your image. Is that a brush you work with, filter you just applied for showing here or a texture you plan to integrate into the image? I have the feeling I'm looking into it too much hahah. Other than that, love the full grown antlers =)

--
    Alright, a little update: changed some things here and there, next step is making her headpiece a little more ornate with stitching and such =) And alongside that: turnaround!

Last edited by Rengin; July 29th, 2011 at 06:57 PM. Reason: forgot the description of my image xD

41. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rengin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man the work everybody has been posting is so great!

vandalfish: I love the concept. It's really unique! Mushroom staff is definitely awesome.

Shadowind: WOW.

angelknight: The detail on the crown is really great, I agree with Dranyer though, and am wondering if the arms are a little bit short though?

Dranyer: I think the third is my favorite. The clothes designs you come up with are really sweet, What do you use as references/inspiration?

Metafix: the colors are amazing...

I am working on cleaning up the background right now, haven't had as much time to work on it the past few days as I'd like.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to maeganite For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy

Fixed the hand shape and tried to give her a "Starfish Queen"... both have no eyes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just saw this challenge, though I don't know if I'll have time to finish it up. Anyways, here's what I got so far.

Name:  Queen Serene.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  97.9 KB

SHADOWBOOK | BLOGSPOT
    Looking for critique!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tried to incorporate a summer feeling.
    Also, I thought she could be guided by the rose petals, feeling them as she walks.
    Kind of tempted to crop the image somehow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not sure whether i'll be able to make the deadline. but here's what i have so far.

any advice on rendering? i get tired out really easily and have no motivation to continue.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GrimstitchGood start. Watch the skew on her face, the right side of the jaw bone is much lower then the left

A-May It's good for a painting to have some sort of emptiness in it so the eye is able to rest. Also, if you want a more playful look I'd go with Revidescent's advice and make more curves in the figure. More curves give the piece a more whimsical feeling

Dranyer Stop it! You're makin us all look bad And I'll be sure to edit the pose and make it seem more open, I'm thinking of changing the whole scenario in fact.

NickyBeats A lot of the clothes seem to be at an off perspective. The left side is lower most of the time compared to the right. Also, her hand within her right hand is ridiculously small if not simply non-existent

Idriu95 I really enjoy your design a lot, the only thing that bothers me is the positioning of the left foot. It seems just propped up very randomly even though the rest of her is in a very relaxed position, I'd suggest relaxing the foot more on the throne

Still gotta lot of work ahead of me :/

49. The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest_I For This Useful Post:

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3