CHoW#254 :: Queen of Seren - Page 7
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: CHoW#254 :: Queen of Seren

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for not giving any feedback people. I haven't much time but am determined to finish this chow!

Metafix I really like the composition and perspective. Adds a nice disorientated feel to the piece, the character looks good too.

Here is my last pencil sketch, will try and add colour tomorrow, dark reds, browns and gold throughout, studded with diamonds, at least thats the plan.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Works Conceptart sketchbook 2011 - 2014
    Tutorials Conceptart links for tutorials, guides "and more."
    Blog Art Tweets Contact : Daylesart@live.co.uk
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dayle For This Useful Post:

NickyBeats is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,962 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    finally! decided on a comp!! ok, so heres the story...

this poor young woman stands over her mother's coffin, praying for her soul in the afterlife. she was lead to the sarcofagus by her two guides, whom act as her eyes. she was blinded during a very sacred ritual that is performed when a new queen is crowned. her mother, the former queen, had fallen ill after being diagnosed with an incurable disease, and despite her personal physicians attempts to cure her, she died. the youngest queen in the expansive history of the noble Seren, she was now forced into the sacred ritual without having the cushion of years of experience to comfort her in her confusion and ignorance of the ceremony. at the age of fourteen, she was made to drink the holy elixir that would irreversibly deteriorate her eye tissue, until they will eventually become just encrusted cases covering her sockets. she is now alone having no other siblings, and is forced to listen, as her mother is buried, and she is left in utter darkness, never to see her comforting face again.

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NickyBeats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...have to go make dinner now, but I might be able to crit a little farther up the page as I eat. Hopefully.

shadowind - I like the second one!

Leoneart - Love the development on the alien, you've got her looking her age despite not-quite-human anatomy. And that design... holy crap, details. It's looking really beautiful at the moment, but be careful as you go on that the details don't become so intricate it just becomes noise. The colour stage will be key, I think.

Quinn Simoes - Quinnland seems like a magical place! The red leaves are neat and alien, so it's almost a shame you put her on regular green grass. How far are you planning to take the flower wrapping? Right now, I'm a little reminded of a half-decorated Christmas tree, but doing it throughout will probably look really nice. Also, your composition is very left-heavy at the moment, so maybe some balancing background element would help.

Metafix - Haha, sorry! D: She's looking quite queenly, and the current design has a feel somewhere between African and Indian; it's really nice. I'm a little bothered by the band on her upper arm, because it's the only asymmetrical element in the whole costume, so it kind of looks like you just forgot to paint the other one. I'm not suggesting doubling it, just adding a couple more similar details elsewhere should do the trick. It seems strange that you've got such extreme perspective, but we can't see the underside of her chin. She also seems really, really tall at the moment - about 8 heads high, which is not uncommon for heroic proportions, but is a bit much for a 14-year-old. Finally, careful with that ceiling - the ceiling and floor aren't going to the same vanishing point. Unless it's meant to be slanted upwards? It's hard to tell, to be honest. (And I make no claims to be very good at perspective myself, so... yeah. Maybe ignore me.) It is a very nice composition, with a nice, dramatic angle.

A-May - The new details definitely make it more, as you say, ornate and feminine. Careful with her head shape; it's too short from the eyes up, you're cutting off the top of her head. Her legs/feet also aren't really angled right. Quick paintover:

Idriu95 - Very cool, getting sort of a Toph vibe from the design, and that snake thing is great. Couple of notes - the perspective on the eye designs on the top of her throne isn't matching correctly. I'm also not sure what you're doing with that foot. If it's supposed to be resting, it's really not sitting properly. It almost looks like she's about to stomp on the snake's tail, but the rest of her body isn't really supporting of an action pose.

snippet - I've still got the same crits/questions as last time on the colours, but the hand's looking better. The feet still aren't working, though. Right now, they look melded. You're forgetting about the curve of the ankle - if her heels were together, you'd see a bit of background between them. If one's a bit behind the other, they're not reading like they're overlapping.

Andrew Ryan - That's gotta be one of the most convincing 14-year-old bodies I've seen so far in this thread; you've got that just barely post-pubescent look down. (Okay, maybe her neck's slightly thick. OTHERWISE.) It's a great dress concept, although it seems very wintery. Not necessarily 'cause it's heavy - a lot of the ones in this thread are, my own included - but more because of the very cool grey-blue, and the fact that some of the rounded areas remind me of fur trim. Just something to think about.

Rusty - You'd better finish; it's beautiful even now! I like the sort of retro poster idea you're going with, it focuses in on the character much better than your old comp, which was much more narrative.

DIManic - Cool costume! (The ones you're drawing from have some interesting stuff, it's always cool to see what people are referencing.) You might want to try a different arm pose, or at least reference the one you have, preferably with something that's got a weight on the end - a broom or the like. The arm looks stiff and unnatural, and it doesn't look like that's how you'd support that weight. For her eyes, I see you've got some face refs, but try to find one of a skull as well, so that you're placing her eye sockets correctly as the skin collapses inwards.

--

Drawing and ref! I'm about a decade past the appropriate age, but I think my arms and face can pass, and that (plus the skirt folds, to a degree) are all I can really ref here. (The "skirt" is a cut-up bedsheet piece left over from an old costume project, and some safety pins. I'm so awesome.)

Just noticing now, her legs are too short.

Name:  SerenProgress01.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  185.2 KB

The more I look at her hood thing, the more I see this:

OH WELL.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Revidescent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Playing up the "Summer" aspect of the description a little.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheers Revidescent! I'll make sure I change that before submitting it to the character sheet.. anatomy is still a weakness of mine!

I was playing with a rough thumbnail for the final composition, (I know the queens anatomy is off but it's more for placement anyways).. she is meant to be producing the birds from her hand.. I don't know if that reads in the sketch.. anyways do you think it works?

Name:  thumbnail1.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  51.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fantastic queens so far!!

Quick sketch to get things started...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mhugo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great progress rusty, reminds me of an art deco poster.

nearly done I think. took about 2 hours 30 mins. I think my brain somehow ended up with queen of the serengeti haha.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MOAR.

Dayle - Oh, I like it. Careful with her leg positioning, despite the hand on the wall she's sort of toppling over. The ends of her hair aren't really clumping up like hair, it's too brushy and even. Finally, for that hand position, her arm would be out back behind her a little, but at the moment it's right to her side.

NickyBeats - Nice comp and story, but remember the 3/4 rule. The coffin needs to be a bit lower before we can see enough of her. Her arms seem to be starting a little too far out from her body, making it look like her shoulders are weirdly wide, next to that skinny torso.

Whiskey Sour - I like the seafoam colour. Her hands are enormous at the moment, especially on those skinny wrists. The back of the headpiece... there's definitely more you can do with it. There doesn't seem to be a lot of design going into it at the moment, I can't really tell if it's rounded or flat or what. Put a bit more thought into it - as well as her top, which is just kind of a bra at the moment. Nice going with the summer theme, tho!

A-May - No prob! Don't be afraid to extend the composition to help tell the story, it doesn't need to be laser-focused on the character. If she's producing birds from her hand, then maybe extending it to the right and upward a little to show them flying away would help it be a bit less crowded.

Mhugo - Very nice design/comp, makes me think of Lady Gaga. (In a good way!) I will say there's no way that's a 14-year-old. She's much too tall, developed, and muscular.

GDonaldson - Lookin' good, but don't forget you need 3/4 of the character! Her eyes don't really look blind at the moment, just kind of inhuman. Also, the angle of her hand is wrong for the angle of the staff - the hand looks like it's tilted back, but the staff is straight on.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Revidescent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my costume idea! I really liked my crown from before, so I will most likely end up using it....but any critique on how to improve it would be most welcome!

What do you guys think about the costume? Are the shoulder "pads" too large? Should I give her hair?

I will be giving her some jewelry as well. I just forgot to add it here.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to lissinator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Revidescent - damn! thanks for the heads up man! i nearly forgot the 3/4 rule...

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback guys, it was a big help. ^_^

Current progress on final lineart. Need a break now tho, more to come later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work everyone, Many of you are putting your 110%

Went with no2, got a few issues with perspective and anatomy

Yes she will be half nude, Zulu queens in Southern Africa actually most females are always half nude its a symbol, added the jade stone on her chest New Zealand Moari culture they use jade stones for protection, I added a crown of sort of leaves branches that reminds me of Jesus not to blaspheme, adding wings and tail to make her alien like, but also wings add a certain divination or higher level being to her so its easier to tell she is a queen.
    Also the roman soldier type skirt which again i'll flesh out as the design goes along trying to symbolize a bit of authority but not total as she is young.

Since the character design seems like she is from a primitive planet, her blinding did involve major scaring, i'm also trying to add a bit of animalistic emotion in her face which can be seen already might alter the nose to be like a baboons nose with many folds and rolls, she does seem sad which i love already in the early designs.

Added some bracelet to her feet and arms, trying to stick to the brief making her lavish , primitive planet not much thought taken toward precious jewels as such.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you guys do such an amazing job! This is one of my doodles.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

queen of seren WIP

In this case, her eyes were replaced with orbs made of a type of crystal that is thought by her species to enhance empathic abilities. Her species is descended from genetically altered human colonists. Even without eyesight, she is still able to "see" in a way. Among the many changes the colonists of Seren made to themselves over the generations was the ability to use echolocation, which resulted in their bat-like faces. Gene meddling also resulted in some unexpected and unintended changes, such as extra limbs and random numbers of fingers and toes, often different on each hand and foot.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to vandalfish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    vandalfish - haha cool! batwoman! shes got a pretty dope staff too!!

i started to work out my values a little.

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here is my detail sketch (just little bit)

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shadowind For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shadowind - looks awesome!! that thing deserves some color treatments!!

last update for tonight, im tired as hell

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shadowind, this looks great, i love all those tiny details and your overall design.

I ll give some crits and comments later on, need to go to work first

Revidescent
    , thanks a lot. Your absolutely right about her age...somehow i forgot that she should be a young teen:/
    Tried to make her a bit younger, but i guess still not young enough...

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Mhugo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For those who need it, here's a helpful link for the age thing.

Background! I normally put it off AS LONG AS POSSIBLE, so this time I thought I'd try doing it first. It may end up severely colour adjusted as the painting goes on, and right now it's looking really haphazard and thrown together, so once I know what bits are covered up, I may take another pass. (Not least of all because it doesn't look nearly as alien as I'd like. But hey, first try ever at this sort of city thing, so not too bad that considered.)

Also started in on the final drawing, but I think it's bedtime.

Name:  SerenProgress02.png
Views: 462
Size:  341.6 KB

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Revidescent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Revidescent - The background looks awesome! I can't wait to see the final picture, I'm very interested to see the costume in its entirety.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my WIP, for teh love of god please crit me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 604 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    So starting a bit late - did some faces earlier however but have decided to scrap all of them for a homage to Bunny

(the munny is her work not mine).

& her love for Antlers, one I share I think along with guts (at least of old before I vanished of CA.org the first time around).

The top one is what I'll go with since I need to do housework during the weekend and don't have time with too much experimentation ~

& wonderful works - going to be hard to even be able to compete this weekend ~

Also currently inspired by white, blue and

Also probably something sad - been on a slow low trip again and will probably tune in to ambient noise for it so expect slow and low flowing forms.

main reference being something like.

So the child needs to chill out a bit, probably going to lower her running step to a calm walk. (the child is the scratches up front holding the princesses hands - in the back there are solem large guards with cermonial spears - might add an old woman/man in the background - if there is time).

EDIT: Two of the faces below are so poor ~ (golden eyes and the horrible one at the lower left) ~ but just wanted to display some straight failures as well).

Last edited by dan liimatta; July 29th, 2011 at 05:32 AM.
    SB. p31 updated 25.04.2012.

33. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dan liimatta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good day guys. Here is my WIP. . I chose head part with wing crown .

--- AK ---

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    angelknight - It was mentioned before she looks very much like a sorceress. I think the branches in the background will be adding to that, so watch out with those. Other than that, I think her breasts are a bit big and are hanging a bit low for a 15 year old. I'm curious to see the final piece though, looks promising! =D
    dan liimatta - I love the initial minimalistic gesture thing you've got going on there! Nice colours too. Most of the faces looks so scary and evil though, not sweet childly innocence at all xD In terms of design I think I like the one with the antlers growing out of her eyes most. (and wow your inspiration pic of the woman - beautiful!)
    Forrest I - I've noticed you're quicker to receive feedback if you give feedback yourself =) That being said, I like the idea of her going around and touching people as to heal them like some prophet. Her general outfit does look a bit ordinary to me and reminds me of princess Peach a bit. Maybe instead of focusing on final comp already you can just make some loose sketches with ideas.
    Revidescent - Seconded that the background looks awesome! I personally think the trown-togetherness of the background won't matter much because it's a bg and the focus lies on the Queen. I personally like the concept of "fanning out" the detail in an image. The focal point is completely polished, but as objects become less important they become more and more a hint of what they should be. One of ILM's artists did it really well in this image (can't find a bigger version ;_ I think the pose has definitely improved.
    Mhugo - Very cool! She looks like a ghost because her feet fade away towards the ground, is that intentional? I love the general sense of mistyness that this image seems to have, I think it fits the aquatic vibe that the character has quite well.
    NickyBeats - Love it that you have a whole detailed story to go with the image (albeit it being very sad =( ) It's a weird (but good) contrast since she is so obviously in despair, but her outfit makes her look very strong and regal.
    shadowind - Wow, very impressive. Just doesn't look young teen to me, proportion wise. I can imagine a young girl would look kind of swamped in that.
    vandalfish - Great idea! Like the pose and I love the mushroom staff! The only thing that seems kind of off to me is the fact that the whole population has the ability to use echolocation instead of only the Queen. It suggests that they also have bad eyesight, so what additional value would it have to blind the queen?
    joyproject - Though the idea of light, see-through cloth is cool, mind the fact that seeing her breast and drawing a heart around her crotch comes off as very sexual (to me at least). This could of course be justified by otherworldly cultures, but I doesn't seem that fitting to me. As for the crown, I'd whip up some sketches with variations. Don't stick with the first idea that you have! Keep your mind open to other ideas.
    AdrianNagorski - Just an idea, to make her lavish but keep it "primitive" you could include jewels, but I wouldn't include metals since those were only used in a later period of human civilization afaik. I think for decoration you could also go for a lot of weaved cloth and figures weaved into the clothing, something like this.
    Drygrass - It's becoming so pretty! Very lavish, definitely conform the brief! =D Not much to crit atm, just waiting for a color update!
    lissinator - I like your costume, not much to crit about it. I like the elegant shapes of it. As for the shoulderpads, they don't strike me as too large, but you could think about what you want - do you want authority or do you want more innocence? However, if you tone them down it might make her look like more of a bride. And hair might add a lot of youth, as we saw with jagder's queen.
    A-May - If you're going for her releasing birds out of her hand, I think the composition needs more room to the left of the image. Watch it that you don't place her too far to the left though, or the rule of thirds thing (or the lack thereof) might make it uncomfortable to look at. Right now I already feel like she's placed a bit too much to the left. [EDIT] Ofc Rev beat me to it... xD
    Whiskey Sour - Your queen definitely looks like she's ready to go to the beach! I dunno if your remark of playing up to the summer aspect of it was hinting at that, but I personally think it's a bit too much (though it's a fun approach) It just doesn't scream "regal" and "ceremony" to me. I think the part that adds to that most is the bulbous eyecaps. And holy moly boobies xD
    Dayle - Thanks! I like the whole design and the ideas for the color scheme. The only thing I'd watch out for is her face. It looks very long right now, you might want to make her face rounder and her nose smaller.
    --

Alright so in response to Revidescent: first of all, thanks for the pointers! You are completely right; the persp probably doesn't match up for the ceiling and the floor. Here's what happened: I made a quick blockout in 3D for the bg, but I'd already made a setup sketch of what I wanted in PS. So, I cheated a bit to make that match up in maya. However, in doing so I tilted the camera upward and probably laid the horizon line lower than I'd intended to (though I could've sworn I paid attention to that) I can't reproduce it because I moved the cam and then closed the file yesterday obviously, and it will probably take much painstaking work to match it up again ;_; So yes, absolutely right on that point. As for her face, I was kind of going for her face being tilted downward like I had in the sketches, making us look kind of into her face instead of up to it. Anyone have any crits on how to improve that idea? Don't want her looking down and tilting her head too much tbh, because she's not supposed to look at the viewer since she's not able to see. The idea is that she's kind of looking in the general direction of where she's going but she's still a bit careful and disoriented because, obviously, she's blind. That's also why she's swinging her arms so much, because she's trying to look regal but not fall over at the same time.

As for the rest, added some more asymmetrical jewelery, lightened it all up a bit, added more lace and the rest is jut general touching up. More progress later today!

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rengin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone! Awesome updates

Here's mine so far (still needs lots of work):

facebook page

------------------------------------------------------
    --Links of friends & such--
    Kyle Nelson
    GEP-Comic

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jiina For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More wip + some messy turn around thing that doesn't match.

Don't know if I should give her a crown/head dress of some kind to make her more come across as more queen than crazy bow-legged lady.
    and she looks too old. waaaaay too old.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to glam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jiina - Beautiful! Any plans on what you're going to add? (Or does your lots of work mean lots of polishing?)
    glam - I agree on the way too old. I envisioned the face being a mask of sorts from the first sketch that you posted, maybe that could help (I think it should be very clear that it's a mask though). And yea, she does look as some persion with a special function but not like a queen, so some headdress would help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Metafix
    Yeah the one with the arrow to it was the preferred by myself as well before I decided to go further and go full antler like the Munny by Bunny ~

So I agree about the rest ~

& Looking good jiina

Decided to change the composition a little bit as I wanted more of the spearmen I had planned.

(she is to have her face towards the sun as to feel the heat from it (she needs not to look away for obvious reasons).

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dan liimatta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice work so far u guys.

however considering she lives on another planet chances are she would look less human than most these girls do I'm guessing.

after all she is some kind of a alien right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ikuru
    You haven't watched enough Star Wars or Star Trekk

I was considering an Alien (blue and all as in the face tests): but for the sake of my portfolio I decided a humanesque character would be better (even if Antlers aren't very human) - Also my take is one of Fantasy and suddenly you have to argue that the humans of Midgard or the like are wrong as they aren't on earth ~

But not that I mind aliens and I kind of hope several are.

(As might be noticeable the soldier in the background of my piece follows the Star Trekk ideal of changing ears and the like as to make something different).

46. The Following User Says Thank You to dan liimatta For This Useful Post:

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3