CHoW#254 :: Queen of Seren - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: CHoW#254 :: Queen of Seren

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yahooo ! .. I have just sketch this one. So..It Look like Bride . . I think it need a Golden Crown > . I will try some others and combine with one of heads.. cheerleader:
    I need your feedbacks and I verry happy . Thanks a lot

Attached Images Attached Images  
    --- AK ---
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tired of my last attempt, so began anew.

Name:  Queen2WIP.jpg
Views: 917
Size:  310.5 KB

Looking more like a bride than Queen, but I'm changing that and contemplating adjusting the image so that her reflection has no eyes. Basically she is nervous and is having flashes of what she will look like after the ceremony.

Name:  Queen2WIP2.jpg
Views: 905
Size:  229.0 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 771 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artfix: The link is in my original post It almost looks like it's part of my signature because I put spaces between the text and link

Tuner people, not Turner.

A mind that wanders so much, it brings back souvenirs.

Sketchbook -- Blog -- New Music --
    Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Drayner
    nicopen : the pose looks a little uncomfortable at the moment, especially the arms which appear to be pressed in against the body, try moving them out a bit to allow for a more natural pose.
    Thanks for the pointer, quick review, and eye style starting to be developed.
    Crits anyone? Happy to learn haha.

Nicopen

Had a discouraging day? Remember this...there is another one coming tomorrow. - Robots.

If I appear to be getting smaller, it's because I'm leaving.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lucassie - I like the idea of the image! Showing a before and after at the same time. I guess the thing that's making her look most like a bride is the fact that she has that veil on her back.
    angelknight - I think the design so far is promising. From your heads, I like 3, 6 and 11 most. Maybe try 3 without the hood?
    Dranyer - Keep in mind that she's getting ready for a Summer ceremony. Right now the queen looks the right age, but she kind of looks like she's going on a playdate with her short skirt, simple tunic and dark boots. I do like her hairdo and the decorations around the neckline though!
    Revidescent - Agreed on the whiskers. I do like the repetition of the shapes throughout the costume. In terms of color, I feel like right now you've been trying some very harsh colors and color combinations (though I gotta say I love the first one!) You might want to try some pastel pallettes. However, I feel like the whole character is very strong and intimidating. It's coming through in her solid silhouette, the totally round staring eyes, the heavy lines you used and lastly, the colors. Have you considered using pastel or earth tones combined with some strong accent colors?
    Drygrass - With the risk of sounding like a moron... what's an egyptian cut? xD I have a feeling that it's the thing that I know as an emperor waistline - the waistline being brought up to directly under the breasts. As for your character, I think it fits to have the symbol on her hip match the staff. I have a feeling that royalty would have their seal repeated in several places throughout the costume. I do feel like her dress and the rest of her attire are two whole separate things. While her face and headpiece are entirely colored and the staff is gold, the dress is completely white. You might want to include some of that repetitiveness that you have going on in the staff and hip clasp throughout the rest of the dress to make it more one whole.
    madhatter106 - I love the mask! Very phantom of the opera. I think her pose doesn't really reflect the playfulness or shyness that a young teenager would have, and I think that that is most of the problem. Oh, and I love the fact that the one fold of her dress goes all the way from her hips to her feet on the other side of her body.
    Rustveld - Looks pretty Serene to me, curious to see what you'll do with the rest of the dress =)
    Artfix - Great idea! I'm not entirely sure about her tutu though. I like the idea but I'm wondering if the butterfly parasite wouldn't pop more if you gave her a less broad dress.
    NickyBeats - If I let go of the backstory for a moment and envision a world for your queen, I have to admit that I think mostly of some war-like world because the blinding looks very barbaric and her anatomy looks very manly. (btw I do love the skin tones that you're using) Maybe you could keep that in the back of your mind when you think about costume design.
    viki oh - Love the turban idea, looks playful and royal to me at the same time. Very original shapes and design!
    Mistermike - I'm not sure how much the wings add to the image. I like the egyptian influences though.
    neutral. - Agreed on the maturity of it all. It all looks very heavy to me, plus the fact that it's all very harsh shapes (plus the character you drew has a very mature body) I like the shapes of the staff though.
    jagder - The hair adds so much youth!
    Angel Intheuk - Though I like the last dress, I'm curious to see a combination of the last headpiece and the first dress you drew.

--
    Alright here's some updates again. I made her look younger, singled out two dresses and tried out some different headpieces and hairstyles. The third hairstyle is a bit of a bob combined with longer layers of hair beneath. Comments and critiques very much appreciated! =D

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Rengin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Metafix I like 6 and 10. The dress is what wins them over.

Had a discouraging day? Remember this...there is another one coming tomorrow. - Robots.

If I appear to be getting smaller, it's because I'm leaving.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

CHOW_254 Queen of Seren

Hi

Some research for the dress.

This is the crown that blind the queen. She is attatch to her head for life and the queen can't live without. When a new queen will be crowned the old one would dies. She suffers all time and several times tears of blood flow on her cheeks. The eyes of the queen are keep like treasure. Thez are sacred.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Leoneart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Metafix Thanks for the comment, I agree, I've decided to go with the third one but I like the movement in the first sketch so am combining them a bit. - On your sketches, which are really sweet btw, I'm drawn to 9 and 10, I like that dress design best, and those two headpieces, though I think 9 seems a bit more regal than 10.

Leoneart Great sketches, I love them all, do them all! But if that's not possible then I do prefer the second and last ones. They seem to match your story the most and look like the ones most intergrated onto her head.

Last edited by Angel Intheuk; July 27th, 2011 at 09:53 AM.

Wales (at the moment originally from Bristol) UK
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hope iv done this right, First CHOW I know im late but hoping to make progress today and any spare second outside of work! Everything is amazing so far hope I get my ideas across in this first post of a quite oriental look to it ill add to it as i want to do something with technology for the eye blindy stuff.

cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay I know I'm very late, and that I'm an utter newbie to this but I was inspired with a great concept and I just had to get it down!
    I love the idea of the crossover between fantasy, particularly magic and the technology involved in sci-fi. I figured that as we use technology to enhance our physical abilities why would we not do the same if we had magic.

The scenario I came up with is that the queens of Seren were blessed with the magic ability to create, however this was limited, to prevent them from omnipotence, to things only that they had physically seen and could remember. As technology advanced various ways were researched to enhance this ability. Now each queen undergoes an painless operation which removes their own sight but instead links their optic nerves to a database of sorts, which receives visual memories from every person on the planet should they choose to send them. In this way the queen sacrifices her own sight so she can share in the 'truth'; the joys and sorrows of her people. This also allows her to observe and create anything that her people should want. I imagine the summer festival to be a time when the queen creates a utopia within the palace using the memories of the people and then opens it to the public.. that's what I want to paint I think!

Yes I have put too much thought into the topic, I tend to do that.. anyways here are my initial sketches What'd you think?

Name:  headressdesigns.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  115.0 KB

Name:  outfitdesign3.jpg
Views: 832
Size:  95.1 KB

Last edited by A-May; July 27th, 2011 at 10:59 AM. Reason: changing picture

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Drygrass & QuinnSimoes: Thanks for the feedback. I popped some of that semicircle back in last night, and I'm gonna give the layering thing a whirl, Quinn -- that's a really helpful tip!

Some crits----

TomIllustration: Great silos. I dig 7 & 10, although I think the balance is best in 10, particularly how the length of the skirt relates to the width of the hem.

Leonart: Amazing. They look really alien. I am useless in picking a favorite, though, they are all so good. I guess overall 4 is my favorite, especially the regal-ness of the skirt length and the eye-covering mask. But the elaborate structure on 3 is just awesome.

Metafix: I'm also a big fan of 10. It's not as formal as some of the others, but it's got a more relaxed elegance.

Nicopen. I like the pose but don't see anything queenly here yet. She looks like a regular girl holding an umbrella. Glam that hooker up!

Lucassie: Why's she looking in a mirror if she's blind...?

Angelknight: Good so far, but needs more queenliness. She's looking a little sorceress now. As for the heads, I like the idea of thos tendrils going into her eyes, but the curved pieces on top of her head don't read elegant, and remind me a little of a bicycle helmet.

Sapphorange: She's looks like a Japanese schoolgirl. Apart from her tiara, nothing about her outfit or pose says "queen". Push that outfit!

Revidescent: Great design! The silhouette is mushroomy. It's really alien and bizarre, like a little cocoon. I'm partial to the blue one because it reads less fleshy than the other two. And thanks for the feedback -- I'm working on younging her up.

Drygrass: I dig the elegance of it, but that staff coming in from off camera reads either like an assassination attempt or one of those hooks they used in Vaudeville acts to pull performers off the stage. But Michael Kors be damned, I don't think it's too matchy-matchy.

Madhatter106: I like the flower allusions on the neckline, especially the dots on the collar and the panel seams down the gown. Spots on her arms are great too. But the pose is sort of adult & provocative, and her lips are way too low on her jaw. Also, I think you could push the mask further?

Rustveld: Lovely! Asymmetrical shoulder piece and Empire waist look great, and I love the crown/horn stuff going on. Can't wait to see how it comes out!

Artfix: Genius idea. I love it and feel like an unimaginative turd when I look at it. So thanks for that. The tutu is tricky, but I think you can make it work & read more regal.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Smolin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Smolin thats one of my favourite with 11 not sure what to push everythings going wrong today oh i may try flesh it out see how it goes cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A few variations I worked up. We'll see if I have time to make a final.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my very first CHoW!

some sketches. as you can see, i had abit too much fun with no.4. so i'm most likely picking that one.

the eye is shut closed at the start of the ceremony, but opens up as the queen "sees the truth".

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 271 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Loving the ideas you guys are coming up with, keep it up!

Few more idea sketches for tonight. Probably should get on with a final layout really although I am sorta leaning towards the costume I'm liking so far.

19. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Rusty For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heres a start, this is a hard prompt.

Nice pictures everyone, ride them creative vibes!

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vertebra For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WIP still trying

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice one RUsty that's a gorgeous costume and head design.

Veterbra Nice start.

Here's the drawing for mine finished...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Metafix, Revidescent and Quinn Simoes: thankyou guys so much for the awesome feedback! I'm working on fixing the gold, feet, shoulder and bird cage.

Stjh: I reeeeally like numbers 3 and 4!

Rusty: that last design for the queen has been my fave of yours so far

TomIllustration: I'm really digging 6 and 11

Leoneart: I love the outfit on the second one the most, and the headpiece of the fourth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The creativity coming out in this round is just blowing my mind, guys. =D

Jagder - Beautiful colours, design, and atmosphere. Only real crit is that her legs are really short under there. (Or maybe her torso's too short - hard to tell with her body covered. Either way, she really needs to be about a head taller.)

neutral - Yeah, her current shape and outfit is aging her, but it is very interesting. I think the boots are part of what's giving her that sexual/evil look - knee-length, black high heels combined with an outfit like that just give too much of a dominatrix vibe. Even though it's really unresolved, I love the silhouette in the lower right corner.

Mistermike - Catgirl queen! Your rendering's pretty haphazard; try to use a bigger, more solid brush to figure out the planes before going into the details. Also be careful of the perspective of geometric parts like her headpiece, and also that, if you're making her sit on something, that her legs and butt are actually on the surface - right now, she's sliding off. You've got some nice design things going on, and I really like the bands/tattoos on her legs. I'm less fond of the antler-like shapes coming out of her back. It's kind of ambiguous whether it's a part of the dress or her anatomy, and either way I don't think they're really supporting the rest of the outfit.

NoShot - Looks like you toned down the dress greens, but they still look a little weird. I think the question is if they're actually leaves, which they seem to be. If they are, try to find a more natural plant colour, and if they're not, some decorative element to make it clear they're just leaf-like might be necessary before you can pull off that shade.

viki oh - That's seriously cool, I always admire people who can really pull off asymmetrical designs. The headpiece is fantastic. I think you can do something more interesting with her feet than just basic high heels, tho!

NickyBeats - I like the 1st and 2nd eye treatments, although the 3rd has the most shock value, it's seriously grossing me out. The turquoise hair/lips are my fav.

Artfix - I just adore your rendering style. The brushy light on those hands is so beautiful. I really love most of this image, but the flaring skirt is looking strange at the moment. It may just be 'cause the skirt's in the way, but the left leg (her right) looks very disconnected from her hips. I think you also need some more details before it says "queen" rather than "interesting butterfly girl".

Rustveld - Oh, lovely. Very delicate and interesting. Watch the angle of that staff, though, right now the way she's holding it, the lower half would be going right through her. Also, dunno if this is just an early sketch, but remember you need to show 3/4 of her to make it to poll!

madhatter106 - I think the reason she's not looking too young is that she's just too defined. At that age - just barely post-pubescent - kids tend to either be slender, or have a bit of a layer of baby fat, rather than the sort of well-defined, muscular arms you've got there. I think her neck might be a bit thick, too, and her head too angular. I also don't think her hips would be so well-defined at that age. I do like the design though, especially the mask. Might want to move the nostril area up just a smidgen, as it looks like she wouldn't be able to breathe through it right now.

Drygrass - HEY, IT'S YOU. Or maybe not? Anyhow, yep, her head's a bit small. Also, the composition feels very crowded right now. Maybe extending it upward a little, and possibly to the left so the accounts guy doesn't seem so squeezed in.

Sapphorange - Maybe not generic, but definitely not a queen. I'd buy princess, perhaps, but her outfit has a young, playful look to it that doesn't seem to fit anybody with royal presence and responsibility. Royal outfits tend to create an imposing presence by being big, expensive, and aggressively decorative. Sort of an "I'm too rich and important to worry about practicality" thing. I do like her head and hair design, though!

angelknight - On the heads, I like the third one in the top row, and the third one in the bottom row. On the full body, is she meant to be walking or floating? Her legs are a bit ambiguous right now. Your design is looking quite nice, although I'm a little bothered by her... thong? I guess? Seems a bit out of place. Also, her legs seem a bit disconnected with her hips, like you lost track of them somewhere under that fabric.

Lucassie - I agree she's more bride than queen at the moment. The veil, the hair, the long dress, even the way she's got her arms, as if she's holding a bouquet... all very bridal. She's also looking way older than 14ish. The second image you posted is much stronger compositionally than the first, that red is much less distracting now.

nicopen - I think it wouldn't hurt you to back off the final and spend a bit more time on development. It's a nice picture of a girl, but there's nothing about it that really says "alien queen", more just a regular girl on a nice summer day. Also, find some ref for the hands/arms holding the umbrella. They look kind of awkwardly bent at the moment.

Metafix - Thanks for the colour advice. I'll admit I didn't tone it down too much, but I may in the final. The first colour comp was my favourite, but it wasn't too springlike to me, so I ditched it, ah well. As for yours - I like the top dress more for its elegant simplicity; the other one feels more like a party/prom dress. I like the 2nd and 4th crowns! (And possibly the 3rd if it's a metal headpiece, but right now it looks a little like a large hat?)

Leoneart - I agree with Angel that the last two crowns fit your concept the best, though I do really like the cape from your second concept. I also like the third overall - it has a very tribal feel, which I don't think I've seen anybody else doing.

TomIllustration - I like thumbs 7, 11, and 12! They feel the most regal.

A-May - You've certainly got the most unique, thought out story I've seen this round! I dig the outfit, but the dangling sleeves are making her arms look really, really long. Maybe make the hand she's resting on her hip more visible, to make it clear that's where it is - right now, she could indeed have two super-long arms. You might also want to adjust her foot position. The pose is technically possible, but not particularly natural or comfortable. Turning the left foot right towards the viewer should do it. (Also, I like the head design you went with, but I like the 3rd one even more. I think it's the jewelry.)

Mykro - All for designs have some interesting things going on. The 1st is great, but feels more like a nun than a queen. I like the outfit from the 2nd, and the hair/crown treatment from the 4th.

Stjh - Yeah, the 4th is definitely your strongest thumb, though I like the staff from the 3rd and the floaty hoop from the 8th.

Rusty - Man, I could stare at that face sketch all day. It's so beautiful. I don't really have any crit at this stage - your composition looks great right now, and it's at too sketchy a stage to really crit the details.

vertebra - Is the seat of the queen's throne supposed to be sort of trapezoid shaped? That's the only way the perspective makes sense at the moment, but it doesn't really look intentional, it just looks like you've got it going to a strange vanishing point, like this. If it's on purpose, maybe find some way to exaggerate it, or put properly-perpectived (that is so not a word) objects around it for comparison. If not, watch your horizon line. Other than that, it's lovely. You've got a really interesting scene going on, and I love the delicate details on her little cape.

That_guy - Your design's looking good and your anatomy's much better now, but you could still stand to have a couple of tweaks. The way you've got that narrow bit covering her legs, with the rest of the skirt transparent, makes it seem like she must be standing very carefully to keep her legs hidden. I suggest either widening that part, or showing a recognizable hint of her legs. Also, be careful with the geometry and symmetry of the boxy parts. The skirt bit looks much narrower on the left, and I'm not sure if the left side is receding properly.

Angel Intheuk - Your costume design and drawing are great. The angle of the railing she's leaning on just looks strange, but I'm hard pressed to explain why. Maybe it's because there's nothing else in the picture to give such clear perspective cues, so it's hard to tell if it's going back in space, or just on an angle? Maybe someone else can chime in on this one, or at least let me know if it's just me, because "It's weird, for some reason" is not a very useful crit. D:

Man, I'm supposed to be working on a brochure design right now. Instead, an hour of crits! Eh, I'll do it once this is posted. I've got the colours down, I think. They may change a bit when I see how they look in the final comp. I also want to add some more tiny details for a more "crazy royal wardrobe" feel, but this is basically the character sheet. Should be an interesting challenge, as I'm NOT a fan of greens, and don't use a ton of blues either. I tend to default to oranges, yellows, browns... this is way the hell out of my comfort zone. It's taking all my willpower to not just change that skirt to gold.

Name:  SerenDesign.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  164.4 KB

26. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Revidescent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheers for the feedback Revidescent, loving the way your character is fleshed out, have you tried any other colour ways?? its looking great!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to TomIllustration For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just a quick one this week, spent an hour on a half on this cant be bothered to take this much further as work has tired me out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GDonaldson - Love the overall feel, it's a bit dark though. Makes it hard to make out all the details, which is a shame =(
    Revidescent - Yay for personal challenges! I gotta say I like the color scheme =)
    maeganite - Nice to see the shapes of the character are being brought back into the architecture.
    Rusty - Love it! She looks very porcelain to me. One criticism though, she doesn't look young teen to me at all, though her face could be.
    Stjh - I'd say roll with it I like 4 too!

--
    A couple more sketches before bed!
    I did some color keys, I thought it would be cool to go for some kind of translucency thing to give the fabric a very light and soft feel, but I think that works best with a white dress. However, the white might be a bit too boring so I tried some other colors. I'm not sure which fits a summer ceremony best though, as well as her skin tone =\

Made a quick bust of her too, to add more detail to her scarf and hair and see what her face would look like with the milky eyes that I'm planning.

And lastly, a possible final comp. Not over the moon with it though, I can also imagine her striding down the hall from her throne very regal... but it feels so weird having her walking there out in the open with no reference point when she's blind! xD Maybe I'm just underestimating blindness. This comp is more of a moment of peace before the ceremony starts, when she's walking through the royal gardens or something.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Rengin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Current progress: I've re-arranged the colors to make it a bit more unified and dramatic. I'm really happy with the headdress now, it was really bugging me before. I've also added a gold plate over her eyes, to match the crown and make her look more blind.

Thanks for the feedback, Revidescent/Metafix/Smolin! I changed the angle of the staff so it looks (hopefully?) less like she's about be dragged off stage or beheaded. I have also damned Michael Kors and added the pattern all over dress. ^.^ Also, made the head a bit bigger.I think I'm going to do something to the hem of the dress, it's reading a little too wedding-dress for me at the moment.

Metafix: Haha, sorry about that, I've had my head a little too far into the research atm. Yes, the empire waist and wide fabric over the chest reminded me of this.
    Revidescent : YES, IT IS I, YOUR EVIL NEMESIS. Or, you know, your former roomie. Whatev. Also, kudos on doing green/blue! (hee.) Maybe try a few variant color schemes with different shades of blue and green, until you find something that tickles you?
    Stjh: Love the concept. Spooky!
    TomIllustration : I really like 6, 7, and 10 myself.
    A-May: I dig the boots a lot, but I think the legs on that sketch are much too short. If you're using that image as base for your final, check the porportions. Also, I like the third crown design best!
    Leoneart : I love the concept! I like the way that the first three crowns read with the separate plates covering her eyes.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drygrass For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's mine so far. Why is it that I always have issues with the lighting? Crits/paint-overs appreciated!
    I can't critique everyone but I will start with the beginning of page 5.

angelknight- nice start so far. I think the legs are abnormally long though, they appear to be twice as long as the torso.
    Lucassie- interesting color choice, do not be afraid to add details to the background. (I miss the window.)
    nicopen- I am not sure what is going on with the left arm, but I realize you are in the beginning stages of fleshing out your character.
    Leoneart- I really like the 1st and 3rd ones.
    TomIllustration- number 4 I think.
    A-May- Maybe incorporate some of the hanging beads in the rest of the costume?
    Mykro- I can't wait to see which one you choose!
    Stjh- Welcome to da Chow. I feel like the 4th design is the strongest as well.
    Rusty- You are an inspiration to be more creative!
    vertebra- I enjoy how well composed your piece is.
    That_guy- I like how you incorporated ancient dress with sci-fi.
    Angel Intheuk- I'm very interested to see what she is holding!
    maeganite- Very Interesting designs. Especially the shoes!
    Revidescent- Maybe you should experiment and change the skirt to gold?
    GDonaldson-I like the glowy-ness.
    Metafix- In my opinion, I like the red and yellow one the best.
    Drygrass- I also think you should play around with the length of the dress.

Last edited by snippet; July 27th, 2011 at 07:50 PM. Reason: missing

35. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to snippet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    Loving the ideas you guys are coming up with, keep it up!

Few more idea sketches for tonight. Probably should get on with a final layout really although I am sorta leaning towards the costume I'm liking so far.

Lovely work Rusty. Your lines are so lively; loose but so articulate....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,064 Times in 398 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Rusty - You gonna win this thing? Your drawings are awesome! They remind me of Iain Mccaig a lot. I don't know that you need to do a whole scene, maybe just do the character with the plain background, this is character design after all and that does seem to be your strong point.

Revidescent - Cheers for the crits! (not that they apply to me I know) Good-O. Design looking good too. Could use more intricate detail stuff but I'm sure you'll get there. The hands look a bit too claw-like for peaceful Seren, and I dunno, I feel like I would bake in that cone thing in the summer, maybe lighten it up a bit, break it up a little so it isn't one solid, heavy-looking piece. Just a thought.

Here's my doodles. I seem to be incapable of doing a character design, I always get sidetracked. And I probably won't have an entry because I have issues finishing things, but whatever. I was trying to think about how this blind queen would get around: does she have canes? big four-armed aliens to lead her around? I'm kind of hung up on wings too: in the last sketch she has huge wings with trailing tendrils that let her 'walk' along the ground. Not sure yet if they're natural, robotic, or magical. I'm thinking about some throne idea too. We'll see.

38. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Corlan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GDonaldson - Oh come on, push it a little farther! It's looking really interesting.

Metafix - The red one's nice! It'd look great in a garden scene. The pose you've got right now isn't really "moment of peace"; she seems sort of uncertain, worried.

Drygrass - YOU'VE BEEN IDENTIFIED, NEMESIS. =D Her shoulders are looking narrow, and her arms are maybe a little long. I like the gold plate over her eyes, but you're gonna have to render it out so it won't just look like facepaint. The new staff angle helps, but adjusting her hand gesture so it looks like she's about to grab it might help even more.

snippet - I'm tempted to change the skirt, but that would be too easy. XD I'm curious where you're going with your design. Right now, she's looking very drab, not particularly royal. Are you planning to add colour? Other than that, the folds around the waist section don't look right, her wrist isn't shaped quite right for the transition into her hand, and her foot position is unnatural. I do like the shapes of your design, though, there's some interesting overlap. And the face is looking good!

Mr. Corlan - Thanks! I might try to break it up a little, but I feel like I can justify the hot, heavy cone thing on the basis that royalty has always, and will always, wear a lot of very stupid things. (You're totally right, though, it would be super uncomfortable.) I love your sketch with the double cane, she just looks so tentative and fragile, but the back piece gives her the royal look. Hopefully you'll keep going, all your sketches are really nice!

Name:  SerenColourRough.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  211.2 KB

I actually went through 3 completely different compositions before this, colour and all. They looked fine in my sketchbook, but not so much when blocked out with colour... I had my heart set on her sitting in a sort of, uh, hoverthrone, but it just didn't work with this outfit. Alas. Edit: To clarify, I ditched the hoverthrone, as much as I loved it. Now, she's just standing on a... pillar. Thing. =D

Out of the colour variations here, I think I'm gonna go with the first one, but I'm curious to hear other opinions. Also, composition crit would be super appreciated, gonna shoot ref in a few hours.

(Hm, they sorta look super yellow here. I can't tell if they saved poorly, or if it's just how they look next to the CA background.)

Last edited by Revidescent; July 28th, 2011 at 12:57 AM.

40. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Revidescent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hoping I'll have mine done in time. I'm thinking of having a desert environment.

blazinwolf is offline Cristina Bencina / Illustrator & Concept Artist Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my chair broke... now I'm sitting on a folding chair with my bad back.. I think I'm gonna skip this one, I can't sit on this thing too long.

@angelknight - this is a nice design. Right now she seems tilted to the left. Her (bikini?) bottom looks too high right now. The cloth that is crossing in front of her looks too stiff, make it more flowy. I like her top. Maybe some more accessories, like a tiara?

@Lucassie - It's a nice start for an illustration, but as it stands right now, for a character design, it's not in a good position. The addition of the mirrior is a nice way to see the front. Yes, she looks like a bride. She needs more to make her look like a queen. Something on her shoulders perhaps, jewlery, a big crown or hat, etc.

@nicropen - The colors are great. She needs more to make her look royal. Right now, she looks way too casual. Google up some reference of queens, royalty, etc. Maybe you can have a crown of flowers, or incorporate more flowers on her dress. Maybe her dress is one big flower. Push it more.

@Leoneart - Wow, all these are great, it's hard to choose. If I had to pick, I would pick the fourth, followed by the second. Great job with these.

@Tomillustration - My favorite ones are 5 and 11. They look the most royal to me.

@A-May - Your idea is pretty interesting. I like all the designs. I like the outfit, but it seems like more a solider than a queen to me.

@Mykro - The first one id great. Looking forward to see these worked more.

@Stjh - The foruth is my favorite too. The idea that the eye opens is a neat concept.

@Rusty - This is a good composition. Be careful not to make her too old, keep her youthful. Maybe you paint very high ceilings and lines of soliders facing the aisle. And some tall windows in the back shining through.. Too much work? lol. I get carried away. Can't wait to see what you can do with it. Reminds me of this painting.

@vertebra - I love what you have going on here. I think you can crop a bit off the bottom and tiny bit on the left, centering her more in the painting. The design's good. Keep it going!

@That_guy - This is different, I like it! What's coming out of the top of her hat though? Also, I think you can add a more distinct light source here.

@Angel Intheuk - This looks great. I think maybe you can fix her hand, make it look like shes lightly grasping the railing vs just resting on it. Her shoulder area feels empty as well.

@maeganite - This looks pretty cool! I'm kind of confused on where your light source is coming from. Her left shoulder looks a little odd, it looks like a sharp bone under her skin. Other than that, I like her her overall design. keep it goiiing!

@GDonaldson - This is a great design. Be careful of her anatomy. Her neck feels too long. Her chest looks squished a little. I like this design, if you find the time, work it on it!

@Metafix - I like her design, but I think it can be pushed some more. These colors are interesting. I think they feel too... bright, perhaps more desaturated colors would help? The horizon line seems a little high as well on your composition.

@Drygrass- Her design's cool! The staff still looks like a hook about to pull her off the stage though. Is the staff necessary? What if she was holding it? I think her dress is fine though.

@snippet - Hm. Is that an eye on her forehead? Perhaps if that was more prominent some way, a bigger insignia or something on the cloth. I like her dress alot. When the dress looks odd when it hits the ground, look up some references of cloth and note how they sit the ground.

@Mr. Corlan - Your sketches rock. I love her with those two canes. At first, I actually though they were guns. lol I think that needs a little more clarification. Great sketches.

@Revidescent - The hoverthrone idea is interesting.. hm. Right now, she looks like she's on some kind of balcony, not on anything that is hovering. Showing the space around it would help. What if she was sitting on her throne? lol I found this weird reference, but it may be of help? as for colors, I like the first too.

@keith_v - nice pose for her. I think expanding on her headpiece or adding more jewlery will make her more royal.

Get connected! Follow me below!
    Art Blog | CGHub | deviantART |Facebook Fan Page
    I'm available for freelance work. Please email me. My email can be found on my blog.

43. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to blazinwolf For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3