CHoW#254 :: Queen of Seren - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: CHoW#254 :: Queen of Seren

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pixeltuner can you put link for those pics? I've never been to comicvine and I can't find shit on there. Thanks!

Vulgar Lol thats great. It is a barren wasteland where the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume...yeah nerds unite!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a few sketches... looking for a mood

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by blau View Post
    a few sketches... looking for a mood

The Third Image's Eye-Cover combined with the clothes of the first image seems like a perfect fit.

Would love too see how those 2 pieces combined would work out.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ceteri For This Useful Post:

blazinwolf is offline Cristina Bencina / Illustrator & Concept Artist Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Question. for the age, we're looking at around 13-15, right? alot of these look older than that.

I think for me, I'll go an alien route. it's hard to make the alien look younger though. grrr

Get connected! Follow me below!
    Art Blog | CGHub | deviantART |Facebook Fan Page
    I'm available for freelance work. Please email me. My email can be found on my blog.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to blazinwolf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update. First pass at some basic colors. Dress will have more to it at some point. Not sure about ribbons in tree hair.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You guys always inspire me to work harder, lots of really cools ideas and sketches.

Another great topic!

Here's my wip.

9. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Quinn Simoes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vulgar: ha ha!

Blau: I really like the second design

Noshot: The tree is really unique, Cant wait to see it finished

Quinn Simoes: That is awesome. Out of curiosity, if I may, how long does it usually take for you to get to that stage in your work?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maeganite For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I havent been on here since APRIL.....I am totally doing this CHOW now that I have graduated!

I'm not sure how much I like my sketches so far. I will probably do more. Right now I am just focusing on her head.... I kind of went the boring "acid in eyes" route. Not feeling too creative lately...
    What do you guys think?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Long time no CHOW, for me at least

Biggest problem I'm having is: the more alien I make her look the harder it is to pinpoint her age when looking at her. I've ended up adding a lot of human characteristics just so that I can make her look the right age. Its easy enough to create an alien race and EXPLAIN what they look like at various ages, but you should be able to know at a glance with this sort of thing. Visual ques only work well for human characters :< /sigh

But here are a few sketches I've made of her head design so far, some at work and the rest at home on my PC.

My idea is that she's been physically blinded due to the nano-machines injected into her eyes. They allow her to monitor her planet via its technology, but blind her to the physical world around her. She could look through a camera to see herself, but couldn't actually see out of her own eyes, due to them being replaced by quicksilver lookin' nanobots where her eyes used to be. She also perhaps has some circuitry embedded in her brain, to enable the interface. This would be considered a sacred linking between the Queen and the planet, and would allow her to 'See all'.

Another thing I've found is that there seems to be a fine line between alien and fantasy races sometimes, where does the alien end and the magical fantasy race begin? I want to keep this sci-fi looking. I haven't really painted much sci-fi before (apart from some Star Wars art, which doesn't count =P) So this is new for me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I could use some help with these headdress shapes.

My take is that the Seren are a sun-worshipping people. The queen is blinded by the sun, gaining powers over the seasons (or so goes the belief). Summers are hot & dry on Seren, so the summer celebrations involve a call for rain, led by the queen, whose ceremonial dress reflects the sky and rain (blue down to green, lots of water motifs & plant patterns which I intend to include!)

I started out with the one in the middle (#2), but felt that it was too dark fantasy-ish, and didn't fit the theme so well. So I whipped up a more sun-disk sort of thing (#1). (I stuck in #3 because I got some positive feedback on it!)

So I'm leaning heavily toward #1, because it seems to fit my take on the theme so well. Is it too common? I think I'll scale it up more, and plan on elaborating it with more rays, sort of like the backdrop to Bernini's St. Teresa:

Any thoughts would be most welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, some comments first since everyone has been posting some awesome stuff already!

blau - I love the eye cover in the 3rd image! The 4th looks the most regal to me but it might also be a bit over the top for a teenage girl, especially since it's so dark.
    madhatter106 - Thanks for these refs! Wouldn't the whole figure thing be covered in the front and back views of the character sheet though?
    Dranyer - I love the idea and the designs you've come up with! I personally like 5 and 8 best, though 5 looks more like some kind of headdress for a ruler of an aquatic land. I'm really curious to see the rest of the costume!
    No-Shot - Great idea for the crown, I think you really nailed the elegance. =)
    maeganite - I'm glad you dropped the ears =p Imo it made her look a little too fairy-ish. I love the way you took the gown too, I have a question though; are the swirls metal? Do they go sideways or backwards? If they go sideways, wouldn't there be another swirl on the other side? (Might be a bit nitpicky at this stage, idk) If they go backwards, wouldn't it kind of press into the dress?
    PS Zant - The vibe im getting from this is that she doesn't look blind to me at all, simply because her eyes and face are too focused. If you think about a blind person, they usually cock their heads to listen or just stare off in the general direction of the sound. I'm not sure if this is your final composition already but I'd maybe change her eyes or expression a bit.
    Jamesbiff - If you're having so much trouble with making the whole image at once, why don't you try just making a few sketches? The iteration process could lead you somewhere original and inspiring, and might also help you with what you want with the final composition.
    Rusty - Gotta say I love all your ideas so far. The intricacy of the costumes makes me jealous!
    Jagder - Very original and very regal! She's a bit hard to identify in terms of age though.
    Leoneart - I personally like number 2 and 4 best!
    Missile - I'm loving the composition, the idea, the general feel and the color scheme! Maybe to contrast the harshness of what they did to her eyes, you could make her gown very silky and stitch it with lacing?
    Narko - I like the idea behind the concept, but she looks more like 20-something to me than in her teens.
    Lucassie - Mind the composition. I feel like the two characters are placed way too much to the left of the image. Usually it's pleasing to the eye if you use the rule of thirds, so divide the canvas in 3 and place the point of interest on or near one of those lines. I also think the harsh colour of the dresses is taking up a lot of attention right now compared to the muted colours of the faces, which should convey the emotion in the image.
    ArtFish - It looks very Disney to me! I like the contrast of thorns around her eyes to the soft flower petals of her dress. If you want more elegance (though you could also go for a more child-like approach) you could consider lengthening the back of the dress, adding longer petals.
    Rassy - I second the hand tattoo idea! Jewels hanging in front of her eyes looks kind of scary to me honestly, I don't think it would invoke much trust and love from her people. I have to say though, I like the crown over her eyes idea too. Though it's a bit more silly, it fits her age (and shows a sense of humour xD) As for hairstyles, I personally like the 3rd and 4th.
    Blazinwolf - I personally like 7 and 8 =) Though I have to admit I'm a horrible sucker for elegance.
    Smolin - Loving the end result!
    rayelian - I was thinking the same in terms of the blinding not being violent. I like your approach, curious to see more =)
    CountBlackula - I personally like the first image better because I have a feeling that, even though they actually don't, they obscure a lot of the Queen. Maybe it's because they attract a lot of attention in the whole composition.
    Drygrass - Love the headdress! The whole outfit feels kind of Mayan/Egyptian to me.

Alright pfffffff, so, some sketches. I'm aiming for something like simple elegance for the dress, something that says regal but fits a young woman. Tried out a few headpieces too, I think they could be more extravagant though I also like the simplicity of the 2nd one. It's more of an iteration process here, I don't like the 1st and 3rd one personally because the 1st looks like (as a friend of mine so aptly put it) a celebrity walking over a beach in a video clip and the 3rd looks more like a fairy queen to me, which is not what I'm going for. So, comments are appreciated!

As for the eyes, I'm probably going to go for a milky-eyed look of blindness caused by some internal error or bright flashes of light (looking into the sun for a week for instance) instead of mutilation. I figured that bleeding eyes, jewels, screws and that kind of thing would probably freak her people out instead of giving off an aura of trustworthiness and righteousness, though I must say some people here are doing great at giving a great elegant twist to the mutilation.

And I made the error too of making her look too much like a grown woman. Are we really looking for below the age of 16?

16. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Rengin For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Smolin: I really like #1, it seems to me to have a slight egyptian feel to it, the sun was a huge part of their culture. Maybe google search egyptian jewelry/clothes or gods?
    http://all-history.org/Egyptian-Goddess-Hathor2.jpg

morgalahan: i LOVE that idea!

lissinator: i like your first two sketches for the crown

metafix: thanks! The swirls do go backwards, thanks for catching that

18. The Following User Says Thank You to maeganite For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ArtFish - It looks very Disney to me! I like the contrast of thorns around her eyes to the soft flower petals of her dress. If you want more elegance (though you could also go for a more child-like approach) you could consider lengthening the back of the dress, adding longer petals.
    ah yes, I get that a lot... I've started just embracing it haha
    Actually I really like that idea though, so thank you! I'm going to try it out

As for your sketches I think 5 and 7 are my favorites... the hood is interesting but I'm not sure how "queen" like it is and may be a bit hot for a summer festival

Available for Commissions

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Lissinator: Great designs, No.2 is pretty striking, I like that one the best.

Morgalahan: Gorgeous! No.1 looks more teenage like than the others, I love the details.

Smolin: The first one is the best in my opinion too, especially for your story.

Metafix: I like 1, 2 and 5, I reckon a more modest neckline, she does look more like 18-20 than under 16, I think that's the age range we're looking at.

My ideas for this one so far...

Last edited by Angel Intheuk; July 27th, 2011 at 04:44 AM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Angel Intheuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Drayner - I love that 5th crown. It's a bit gross, but very unique, and definitely alien. (The 8th is the most immediate read as a crown.)

Tokoldi - Beautiful patterns, although much more elven than anything. Interested to see where you go with it.

That_guy - Not sure if you're thinking about anatomy at this stage. If you are, her arms are way too long, and her legs are a bit short. You have really interesting ideas for the headpiece, and I love how you echo it in the waist, but you can definitely do more with the lower dress.

blau - The fourth outfit is really interesting, but has kind of an evil feel, sort of a Raven Queen vibe. I like the first and second outfits, but not the shoes. Combined with those clothes, it has a weird kind of prom dress feel - they say "party", not "queen".

NoShot - I like the tree ribbons, but maybe not just dangling there. Possibly wrapped around the branches, like a girl would put ribbons in her hair? I'm not fond of the green you chose for her dress. It's too fluorescent, especially next to the more muted greens of the tree.

Quinn Simoes - You seem to have a serious knack for very clean, elegant designs. It's a really lovely design, but I'll be interested to see how you resolve the bits coming off the side, the ones fading to orange. I can't figure out at the moment if they're fabric and, if they are, how they're staying at that angle.

maeganite - I like your design and theme a lot, it's very ornate and unique. A few issues, though, with your execution. The birdcage feels kind of rushed and uneven. Be more careful with measuring out lines; on an object like that, mistakes are pretty noticeable. The palm area of her hand is too large, and her fingers too small proportionally. The crossed over foot - the one we're seeing from the front - needs to be bent a little more to the right to sit on the ground properly. Finally, be careful what you're doing with the materials. In most areas, the gold bits look very solid and metallic, but suddenly on the dress, they seem to be flowing with the fabric - it's confusing. If they're stiff, emphasize it, and make sure the fabric conforms to their shape. If they're not, make sure it's obvious that they're not actually metal.

lissinator - Interesting things going on with crown number 2. 5 is interesting as well, it has sort of an Egyptian feel to it.

morgalahan - My fav's number 2! The 5th looks the most alien, but loses a lot of the regal appeal; there's an automatic royal feel to it that the others don't seem to have.

Smolin - I like your sun disc a lot for the theme. I think with an interesting pattern and some elaboration it could work quite well, and I like your colour choices for the outfit as a whole. I will say your queen's not really reading as young enough at the moment - partly the body, mostly the face.

Metafix - I like that last dress design, and the last couple of headpieces are also your strongest, I think. And yes, she doesn't really look very young.

Angel Intheuk - Your last two are great. I know a lot of people are doing blindfolds, but there's something inherently cool about them, and the little dangling jewels help a lot. The bizarre conch-shell-like headpiece in the second last one is just super interesting.

Kay, super late start here. Some silhouettes. Gonna come back to these in a few hours with a fresh eye; I suspect whatever I end up going with will be some combination of bits.

Name:  SerenSilhouettes.jpg
Views: 1256
Size:  162.8 KB

I really need to do fewer cape/mantle pieces. It seems to be my solution to everything lately.

23. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Revidescent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure, why I was ignoring her hair for so long.

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jagder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I fear that this might be too mature/sexual/evil for a young teen in such a serene environment. Might tone it down later.

NickyBeats is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,962 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    another sketch dump

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice work everyone just realised that i'm going away this weekend so i will not be able to actually submit this but still i may as well get as far as i can with it starting to add more detail and i changed the position of the leg as it looked sort of weird.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Mistermike For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One more small update before bed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh wow~ Everyone has really inspiring and awesome concepts so far for this queen, some of you are really thinking outside the box! This is so exciting!

Here's my take on it. Just the beginning, this is really fun so far. Feedback is welcome.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to viki oh For This Useful Post:

NickyBeats is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,962 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    viki oh - im digging those sketches!!

i made the colors very alien like because, well, its on another planet.

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    maeganite Thanks! So far I've spent about 3-4 hours on that, I just started it last night. I like the design on the face and crown on yours, just watch the shoulder its a little too bumpy.

Revidescent Thanks, I usually work on the form first, and worry about function later, but your right, I think I will have those attached to the back of her dress. I like numbers 13 and 15 on your thumbnails.

Smolin Maybe try combining pieces of each of them together, the Art Director at my work does that quite often with concepts I do, particularly with weapons.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Quinn Simoes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys. I will join in and explain my concept that no one really cares about lol. Naw just kidding, I can explain in one sentence. The butterfly is a parasite that attaches to her head.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Artfix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't done a ChOW in a long time, the last few ones have been really interesting.

Here's what I have so far.
    Name:  QueenSeren_sketchsmall.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  226.7 KB

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Rustveld For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Feeling "meh" about this one. So tempted to toss it and start from scratch - catching the younger/teenage essence has been all but impossible with this. Though I do like the idea of a ceremonial mask worn to cover the eyes (or lack thereof)...

www.costumesketch.com
    I looked at yours, now you look at mine...sketchbook here

"The doctor said I wouldn't have so many nosebleeds if I kept my finger outta there." - Ralph Wiggum

"Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

"Ordinary morality is only for ordinary people." - Aleister Crowley

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Current progress! Still in the rough line work phase, and I've jump ahead a bit to try out some colors and tone. I've changed the palette a bit so that the colors aren't fighting with each other as much. As for the design itself, I'm one part happy and one part Meh. The line work on the gold hip-thing is too thick for sure, but I'm also uncertain if it's the right shape. Maybe having it match the design on the staff is too matchy-matchy?

Overall, I think I'm missing something. And it might just be me, but it also seems like her head is too small. Anyone else think that?

And now, solicited and unsolicited opinions!

NoShot: I really adore the tree growing out of her eyes, and I think the ribbons in the branches are just fine. The skirt of the dress seems a little out of step with everything from the waist up, though. The texture and silhouette of the skirt is great, but am not sure about the design.

Smolin: In your first post, you had a half-circle thing going on that I thought was striking, in the third sketch. Gives the impression of the sun rising behind her without literally putting one there.

blazinwolf: I dig 5, myself.

Rusty: So loving your designs so far really excited to see what you settle on.

maeganite: great bustle/train, it reminds me of a dior couture line from a year or so ago.

Dranye
    r: I really like the design coming out of her eyes on crown varient six, but not the spiral.

That_guy:
    Kickass belt! So chunky and distinctive.

lissinator: I like the first crown idea there, myself.

Metafix: great choice of the egyptian cut on the dress. Very elegant for a young queen.

Revidescent
    : I like silhouette 13. If it were me, I would slim down the skirt even more.

jagder
    : you've got a gorgeous russian/klimt look, so looking forward to the final!

Artfix: not sure if the skirt is right for a queen, though it is great for a teenager.

42. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Drygrass For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  SerenColours.jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  218.3 KB

I think I've got the outfit nailed down-ish at this point (though still totally open to suggestions!) but I'm really struggling with the colours. Also, the same alien age problems most others are having, but this isn't the final pose/comp, so there's time for that to work out. I might have to get rid of her cheek whisker things; they're reading as cheekbones, and I think that's one of the things that's aging her.

...aaaand I had every intention of going to bed like 3 hours ago, so I'll comment on others in the morning.

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Revidescent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Guys. I love this Topic.
    These are some head sketchs with my imaginations...sorry my English 's not good

--- AK ---

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dranyer: thanks for the feedback!
    I played around a bit more and I ended up with something completely different...

I dunno but she looks a bit generic right now, I suck at this D:

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3