CHoW#254 :: Queen of Seren - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi all, I want to try and get something finished this week. Topic seems really interesting.

I don't like the idea of physically blinding someone or the brutal and painful methods potentially involved (being blind is one of my biggest fears; I really value my sight).

My idea is of a princess who spends her life growing her hair - 18 / 21 years old, and then goes through a ceremonial ritual of being bound and wrapped, so that when she can no longer see, that is the moment she becomes a queen. A symbolic sacrific that is reversable.

Here is my concept, I look forward to figuring out the relationship between the hair and the clothes.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Works Conceptart sketchbook 2011 - 2014
    Tutorials Conceptart links for tutorials, guides "and more."
    Blog Art Tweets Contact : Daylesart@live.co.uk
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for all the feedback, i definitely agree with the general sentiments.
    so the idea i've settled on is based off sketch 8 from that earlier set. basically the idea is this: at the coronation wacky alien gizmos are used to sever her optic nerves, ossify her eyes into solid bone and fuze them to her skull before being carefully warped and sculpted by skilled artisans into an elaborate sort of crown. ugh, waaay too much explanation... here's some more sketches

Fatum Istum Stultorum ~Durandal
    sketchbook
    Blog
    Available for hire!

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dranyer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Long time no see Chow!

@Dayle Wouldn't having hair over her face blind her eventually? (That's what my mom always says... she wants to shave my bangs off) Lol but seriously, great concept, I would never have thought of a 'symbolic' only, reversable blinding. Looking forward to further wips C:

@Dranyer holy shit that sounds scary, I hope she has anesthetics for that. I personally like 2 and 3 the best, but I like that eye embedded in 4, interesting potential there.

I myself, will probably go with the conventional "tear them eyeballs out" way. Of course, as it is a peaceful and beautiful culture, she will have a pretty sleeper mask to cover all the horrendous scars... haha I don't know.

Hey you! Yes, you! Crit me!

My CA.org Sketchbook 1 Last page Bashing much needed and appreciated!
    My daily art blog (all the junk and personal crap that my CA sketchbook doesn't have)

Feel free to shoot me a pm anytime~

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cloudcan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's what I got so far:

1- I started with a general idea of what I wanted her to look like.

3- I got the idea of some sort of ceremonial stone slug that they'd put on her head and it would slowly crawl into her eye sockets, eat them, then gradually creep into her brain.

4- Then I figured that as the slug grew with the queen, it would grow spikes on its back to give her a crown. It grows more lavish the older she gets.

What do you guys think? I'm gonna start painting the final image soon.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CountBlackula For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hellohello
    My first time on Chow!

First image is probably what I'll base the final illustration on. Second is a tentative poke at the color palette. Third is working out what the under-dress looks like.

I'm keen on the semi-transparent drapery with metal fixtures/accessories on top, but it's gonna take a lot of finagling before I'm happy with it. Still not sure how to handle the whole blindness thing, although I am certain I'm going to go with some kind of facepaint.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Drygrass For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay costume design!

Haha, and speaking of overlapping ideas... Was drawing this when the thread was a page long. Guess great minds think alike. :p

So anyway you know those women in Asian/African tribes who wear neck rings to gradually elongate their necks? And also, Chinese foot binding. I imagine the culture in this fictional setting would be something like that, you know, with these sort of physical alterations taking course over long periods of time. So for my queen, I'd imagine she'd have received several "light blinding" doses/treatments until eventually she damages her eyes from it or something like that. Or suffers from eternal red eye, heh.

Edit: So I just started reading all these ideas from everyone, and can I just say I'm actually more interested now in just sitting back and watching where everyone goes with this, because holy crap everyone's ideas are just so interesting! Mostly gruesome, but incredibly interesting nonetheless. Shoutouts to Dranyer, dan liimatta, and CountBlakula. Would definitely love to see the film you're designing for.

Last edited by Kahel; July 25th, 2011 at 07:39 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kahel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @CountBlackula The slug concept sounds epic! I think if you put a focus on that it could really be great. Right now from the wips you put up, her costume and posture isn't really reflecting the concept.

@Drygrass Very lovely costume, I can tell it will be very beautiful if you can pull off the transparency just right.

@Kahel Wow another great concept, blinding slowly over time. I feel bad for her.. xD Love the oriental overtones.

I have no such great and creative concepts, I just have this random bs doodle while brainstorming. It helped me get an idea though. As for colors, she will have some bright orange in there.

Hey you! Yes, you! Crit me!

My CA.org Sketchbook 1 Last page Bashing much needed and appreciated!
    My daily art blog (all the junk and personal crap that my CA sketchbook doesn't have)

Feel free to shoot me a pm anytime~

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cloudcan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    trying to get involved early this time... here are some super quick sketches just to get the juices flowing...
    one of the eye concepts i thought of was that they blinded by injection and the chemicals caused the eyes to glow (as well as become blind of course)
    then theres the mask which is fairly straight forward... not sure if there would be scarring involved
    and then i quickly added an idea that they would pluck out the eyeballs and plant seeds in them...

anyway more to come later!

Available for Commissions

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great topic! good stuff from everyone. Here is mine so far. As it is for a film i'maiming for an Ellen Page sort of look to the face, which is not really showing yet but hopefully it will

Last edited by Mistermike; July 25th, 2011 at 09:17 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Headshot... Might do something with a branchy tree crown thing. Seeing into nature and all that kind of stuff.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoShot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so starting in time and not expecting any hickups this time :)
    cool early stages everyone!
    I guess I decided right away I want to catch some sort of excitement of the festival and a putting aside of the Queen's distanced position from commonfolk to be able to convey the festivity with her in focus (without any too-close-up-to-her cheering citizens) so I chose the clothing of her.. won't be as nakked in the end but needed to put figure down. will focus on garment design as expected but will capture moment of them about to be put on.
    also want to make her scarred eyes visible enough that they'll have the graveness of her role balanced with the cheery moment of both festival expectation but also a moment of relief from carrying herself, upholding her lofty role and reserve.. also much since the reliance on servants for a blind person I'd rather depict it in a genial way more than a disadvantaged light. will be interesting to see if I will be able to paint this! next up compo with characters needs to be done and need to have worked on the clothes that will go on her being held up ready to put on by servants.

may redo her head/face... or the whole thing.. she looks more 18ish than early teens.. eh yeah totally x(

hope to see as many awesome entries as in #252 or more!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going with the idea that the royal seal has been burnt over her eyes.

Dranyer Those designs are pretty sweet

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maeganite For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Started on the final! I'm trying to settle on the colors. I like the little spires coming out in front and behind her, but I'm not sure if I'll keep them.

Nim and Mistermike- You two officially have the creepiest entries thus far. Nice.

Maeganite- Very cool, keep at it!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to CountBlackula For This Useful Post:

Rob Powell is offline ...he draws aliens and doesn't afraid of anything...
    Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 588 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Cool topic, I may participate if time permits, seems like there may be a need for lots of detail which can be both a curse and a blessing

some feedback...
    Kalumis: A pretty good start so far, it seems like she's being blinded by some magical light, or it's used to cover whatever scars and gory bits may be there, neat idea with the crown, atm it doesn't look like a closed eye, perhaps if you made the lashes longer and if you added a bottom row (would be shorter so it doesn't look odd)

Rinibee: Looks cool so far, still rough so making out exactly what materials everything is, is a little tough, but the overall structure looks good so far.

Rusty: Nice bust shots, I like the first one for the head dress better, and maybe a mix for the first and third for her clothing. Although the second has potential in both areas.

Pixeltuner: Really neat, I like all the reference images you provide with your stuff, it reminds me that I don't do it enough. Her clothes don't really feel too royal atm, but perhaps it depends on her culture.

Dranyer: I'm pretty much in the same boat about the eye designs, from your first set of thumbs, 1 and 8. 1 is good because it does the best job in preserving her beauty and 8 has a nice royal and regal feel. Your second set of thumbs are even more badass, the second one is the best to me, but they all have potential.

Sanjo: Nice dress designs, see what happens if you combine some design elements with eachother, but make sure they don't contrast with the overall design, make sure each part looks like it belongs together

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Drayner Yummy weirdness.

I tried doing an alien girl but it just got weird and didn't quite identify as a female teen. Might do a 'Star Trek' variant and colour the skin and add some gills or something :p

I figured that whatever the method of blinding is they wouldn't want to draw attention to the result and craft something to cover it up without making people uncomfortable.

Going to be fun doing an elaborate dress and patterns, not stuff I normally practice.

Niklas Hildebrand
    Criticism is always welcomed!
    My deviantArt gallery

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is what has been rattling around in my head.

I've envisioned Seren as a planet where water is very important, and the Queen is blinded by looking into some sort of magical mirror to see the truth. I figured that if it is a peaceful planet, then the blinding should not take the violent route. After a while, wouldn't it seem out of place and archaic? I also don't want to think much about purposefully blinding a child.

My final design plans to have her sitting, with the mirror in her lap (and follow the 3/4 rule which this rough is breaking).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Final sketch
    I'm really considering abandoning the ears.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys.. I was wondering.. Is this normal if my forearm hurts like HELL when i'm drawing on the graphic talbet? Since you guys are pro and draw a lot, I was wondering : do you have some tricks or tips to avoid this? Thanks in advance!

(I know I'm probably not in the good section but I wanted to ask people who are professionnals/qualified at first)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are a few thumbs I scribbled out today. I went from a very loose warmup (Amon-Victoria) through to progressively more involved. The last one pulls elements from the others into a pseudo-Balinese thingamajiggeroo, and that's probably gonna be my starting point. I just thought I'd show the progression.

Now for some exhaustive and unsolicited feedback!

Maeganite: I dig all the swirly patterning on her head & face. I'd love to see you carry that throughout the entire costume, both as pattern and structure.

Rayelian: Good start! Find a way to make it memorable!

Funnyface: The headdress is really unusual. With the patterning it almost reminds me of a fly.

CountBlackula: Also needs something to make it memorable & unusual.

nim: Great idea doing a tableau. I was thinking along the same lines, but may chicken out.

NoShot: Kick ass. I love the concept.

MisterMike: Good start. Try and really round out your forms.

ArtFish: I like the flowers on the eyes with the dress-flower idea.

Cloudcan: Looks good so far! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Kahel: Beautiful sketches. I love where it's going -- very elegant.

Drygrass: Cool! Simple but interesting.

Dranyer: Mind blowing in it's hideous beauty. I am psyched to see how this evolves.

Dayle: That is a really strong concept. I love the hair. Get that kind of love into the rest and you'll have an excellent piece.

Lucassie: You need to focus more on the design -- and don't forget the 3/4ths rule!

Sanjo: Nice sketches, but the dresses could be more regal.

Kalumis: Gorgeous. It's beautiful already, and I love the eye theme throughout the attire. An early favorite.

jagder: Cool. You captured a lot of epic already.

Pixeltuner: Lovely start, but I wonder if the panties read queenly.

Rusty: I dig the patterning you've got going on.

Rinibee: Awesome silhouette. I love where that's going.

31. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Smolin For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

NickyBeats is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,962 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    malepart - hey man, im not the best one to answer your question, seeing as this has never been a problem for me in the past, but i have heard other artists make similar complaints, it may jst be that your holding the stylus in anawkward way, or that your sitting in an odd position while drawing, but it could also be something more serious. i would just check with your doctor if it isnt feeling better within a couple of days. sometimes things like this can set artists back for a while if its left untreated.

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

blazinwolf is offline Cristina Bencina / Illustrator & Concept Artist Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    random doodles, blahh!

i am leaning towards a mix of 1,2,and 5.

Get connected! Follow me below!
    Art Blog | CGHub | deviantART |Facebook Fan Page
    I'm available for freelance work. Please email me. My email can be found on my blog.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blazinwolf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    malepart Do whatever it takes to set your position up so that your arm is comfortable. Get a new chair, rest your tablet somewhere else like your lap. Personally, mine sits in my lap and leans against the desk in front of me. I'm sure its different for everyone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by NickyBeats View Post
    malepart - hey man, im not the best one to answer your question, seeing as this has never been a problem for me in the past, but i have heard other artists make similar complaints, it may jst be that your holding the stylus in anawkward way, or that your sitting in an odd position while drawing, but it could also be something more serious. i would just check with your doctor if it isnt feeling better within a couple of days. sometimes things like this can set artists back for a while if its left untreated.
    Thanks, I'll check with a specialist as soon as possible. I just want to know.. do you have a graphic tablet or cintiq?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys here are some different heads and poses I've been toying around with. I'm going for a very human looking character, I want to emphasize the alien part through her costume. I see other people thought up flowers, plants or gems for eyes, hopefully I can think of something else, I don't want to repeat an idea that someone already came up with. Still plenty of time.

Rusty Awesome sketches so far, very elegant character.

Kalumis Great costume, I like the how she looks shamanistic.

Pixeltuner Nice reference, you got a good start. I'm very interested in how your piece will turn out. I like concept artists that have a great sense of fashion and style.

jagder Awesome start, probably my favorite so far. Great colors.

Dranyer I like how you've handled her eyes and made her more alien in your recent post.

Lucassie Great pose, I think it would make sense for her to look terrified. Maybe she didn't want to be queen but was chosen and traumatized by the process.

Looks like people are really excited about this one. I'd love to comment more on everyone else's work but I'm wiped out.

38. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Rassy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Artfix View Post
    malepart Do whatever it takes to set your position up so that your arm is comfortable. Get a new chair, rest your tablet somewhere else like your lap. Personally, mine sits in my lap and leans against the desk in front of me. I'm sure its different for everyone.
    Nice one. Thanks I don't know why I didn't think about this before!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Decided to push forward a bit with the flower idea... gotta get some flower refs though
    Whipped this up quickly, playing around with some color ideas off to the side
    Not sure she looks queen-y enough though... hmm

I don't normally work directly in photoshop for the sketch phase... but I think it's helping me be looser with my sketches (which is always a problem I have) so I'm going to try and see if this works for me!

Last edited by ArtFish; July 26th, 2011 at 02:32 AM. Reason: file size
    Available for Commissions

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rassy - Thank you, my idea was to have her being organised by a maid prior to her ceremony and having all that responsibility and tradition wash over her.

I really like the head with the hand tattoo, it makes me think of the lord of the rings! Which is always a good thing.

My latest (Getting ready for more detail and possibly adding more maids):

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Lucassie For This Useful Post:

NickyBeats is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,962 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    awesome stuff again!! im always surprised when i enter a chow at how many unbelievable artists are on this site. stuff is really killer so far!!!

heres just some sketches before i go into my comp.

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NickyBeats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great stuff guys

My Wips...

Basic idea is that Serenity=Balance. Too much order or too much chaos upsets the balance.
    The queens of Serene are not of the same lineage. They are chosen at birth when tested to see if they hold within them the potential to alter the scales between Chaos & Order.
    Upon her crowning her eyes are removed and she takes the actual essence of the planet into her body, via mechanical orbs which house the seperate Chaos & Order entities.
    With the powers now residing inside her, she is able to exert her will on them and guide them to a path of peace, balance and serenity.

Still thinking about the costume & pose. Wanted a very regal attitude, but somewhat casual representation, hinting at her young age.

Her face is divided into Sun(Order) & Night (Chaos).
    The eyelids are peeled back and pinned back onto the face and then jewels & tattoos are added to complete the design.

It is a sacrifice and a burden she has to bear. Hiding it or trying to make less of it would only be an insult to everything she is.

Was going for a little bit of a Luis Royo feel, but now might just paint it all out.

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Narko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    maeganite: cool idea with the royal seal, wish I had come up with that!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3