Art: Lynx sculpt

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: Lynx sculpt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lynx sculpt

Messing around the other night with my friends and a pound of super sculpey. I ended up with this guy... pretty pleased with how he turned out.

Does anyone have any advice on sculpting eyes? With this piece I built up the face and brows before I went back in for the eyes, and the eyes ended up a completely different texture from the rest of the face, since I had to use a little metal tool (my fingers wouldn't fit into the sockets to sculpt it).
    The head is about the size of my fist, so it's not that I'm working too small (I hope!). It took about two hours... we were watching Indiana Jones and I finished just after the end.

Pics:
    Lynx sculpt
    Lynx sculpt
    Lynx sculpt

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that is great! my husband and i love lynx's

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kick ass! Looks like the male version of my bobcat-woman character.

In terms of eyes, I do one of two things - sculpt the eye and then bake it seperately, then press it into the head and sculpt around it. Or, you can shell out for a couple of awesome glass eyes from any taxidermy supplier, which I think would look great with this sculpt. You can prolly find really small glass cat eyes... some people stuff kittens. Disturbing, I know.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thats really gorgeous!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jeez, stuffing kittens? That's terrible.

There are some pretty nice colored marbles at the toy store in town; I can pick some up and see how those work. They're probably too large for most of what I'm doing, but they look really cool

That helps a lot, building around solid eyes. Do you do the understructure of the face and bake it, also?

Most of the sculpture stuff I do is just spur of the moment "hey I'm gonna mess around with clay!" stuff, but I'm moving towards more planned out and structured projects (maquettes etc).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jeez, stuffing kittens? That's terrible.
    Yeah. I worked at my school's Nature Lab and we have quite an array of taxidermy animals (no kittens though!) I was thumbing through the taxidermy catalogue and saw a picture of a postcard which had stuffed, POSED kittens at a table, enjoying afternoon tea.

...not to mention the fact that the catalogue sold styrofoam forms for squirrels so you could display them doing things like mowing the lawn, or slam dunking. Little basketball hoop sold seperately.

But, I digress. Totally try out the marbles. I don't usually bake the understructure of the face, I usually wind up having to carve away at it when I realize I've messed up. I'm also a bit of a cheat; once I have a good face sculpted, I bake it and make a mold from it. Then I can just alter the faces made from that mold to get a suprising array of characters.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.