Help on buying a PC

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Help on buying a PC

So I'll be buying a PC dedicated for art for the first time. I know absolutely nothing about building PCs, so right now I plan on buying one already made. I was looking at the various desktops on HP's website and I'm not sure which ones are good for art or are totally overkill. Ideally I'd like to have a computer that doesn't lag when I try to paint on very large images or with big brushes, which is what my computer does right now. I can hardly use Painter for this reason. I don't plan on playing many games on this computer so that isn't an issue.

This is the one for the Elite Desktop PCs-

http://shopping1.hp.com/is-bin/INTER...YAAAEu5CgV2RWA

I'm willing to spend money to buy a nice PC to run CS5 and Painter 11, but I don't really have any idea which of those fits what I need.

This computer hardware illiterate artist would appreciate any help he can get

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthr...2158&t=3134404

scroll down to the 1st post. You might consider a graphics card upgrade to take pressure of the rest of the system, they have a relatively cheap upgrade for 60 bucks to the second option in the post. If you are willing to do some computer work it can be had cheaper usually. Then for 4 gigs of ram you could easily find some for less then 50 dollars when they want 150 for it, so even if you buy some and pay a comp friend to put it in for you in 5 minutes it'll save you. But all in all its a great processor and dell is better then HP IMO. For less then 700 you get an i7 with bigger better monitor upgrade and graphics card. Small hard drive at only 320 but you can get an external for file storage if you need to. Or again buy an internal one and have a comp friend put it in for you. But I dont think I have use that much space on all three of my computers. If you arent saving movies or dl'ing games then that sort of space will hold you off for a while.

My Website I am available for work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the help. I'll certainly look into that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    which of the three graphics cards offered by the Dell deal do you think is the best one? They are-

1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 420 (DVI, VGA, HDMI)
    AMD Radeon™ HD 6670 1GB DDR5 (DVI, VGA, HDMI)
    AMD Radeon™ HD 6450 1GB DDR3 (DVI, VGA, HDMI)

I tried looking up graphics cards in Google, but I didn't really understand the info I was looking at, lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i suggest you to buy pc which has configuration as followed Processor :Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz processor motherboard : Intel Desktop Board DX58SO2 Extreme Series - motherboard - ATX - LGA1366 Socket - X58 - LGA1366 Socket and Transcend Jet Ram 4 GB : 2 x 2 GB Memory - DIMM 240-pin - 800 MHz ( PC2-6400 ) and Seagate Moments XT 500 GB Internal hard drive - 300 Mbps - 7200 rpm it's good configuration for you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a I7 2600K, 16GB, a hard disk ssd 60gb (here I have the SO, this is very fast), 1TB hard disk I have installed all my document and microsoft word, etc etc, of course you could install photoshop in the ssd hard disk and make it faster!

I forget, always is important has an external hard drive to backup the art

About the video cards I have HD 6670 1GB DDR5 (DVI, VGA, HDMI), it is amazing, I have one Dell 24'', one Samsung 17'' and a large lcd 52 Sharp (I did not use it to work, just to watch movies, but it is connected to the PC)

This is a great PC if you want to game, work, design, etc

Best!

Last edited by drawart; October 29th, 2011 at 08:12 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dwilliams View Post
    I'd like to have a computer that doesn't lag when I try to paint on very large images or with big brushes, which is what my computer does right now.
    This has to do mostly with RAM (that's the memory where your computer stores the data it's working on at the moment). So if this is important, I would say the most important thing is to pick a computer with lots of it. At least 4GB, but I would suggest you get at least 8 or 16.

The other thing is the graphics card as many have said, with it memory isn't as important. For games memory in graphic cards is vital, but if you don't plan on playing games I suggest you get a computer with a graphics card that is fast and preferably aimed at graphical work, such as a nVidia's Quadro series card. If you can't find one, I would say pretty much any 90$+ graphics card will do fine.

Third, and this is just an opinion. I guess I'm also a bit biased as I have assembled all the computers I have ever owned (since -94), but I think buying a computer as separate components is always the best solution. At least in every computer store I have ever bought stuff from, they have had a computer assembly service, so if you want they'll assemble it for you (and install the OS and so forth). It saves money and in this case would give you the chance to optimize your computer for graphical work.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Basically after discussion with other members and what I own, a Quadro is actually more for entry level 3d work. For PS it handles layers well. This is not a gaming card. Other choices are the GeForce series at midrange.

You don't need a really high end card for illustration, but one thing to note is that I often see members with ATi cards have issues with Photoshop.

Members who have read this thread: 1