Sketchbook: Ithuling's Sketchbook (Beginner)--Heavy Criticism Welcome

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ithuling's Sketchbook (Beginner)--Heavy Criticism Welcome

Hello! I'm Farah. Semi-new to art, and finally pushing through my cowardice of posting stuff on here. This past spring semester was my second semester at college, and the first in which I've taken an art class. The last time I took an art class was in middle school, lol, so most likely those works won't go up (I doubt I still have them too.) However, in high school I took a multimedia class where I did a little bit drawing, so some of that might go up here.

Anyway, I think I ought to say my purpose and focus for art right now. I'm interested in animation, but I believe that I should build a strong drawing foundation first. I pretty much want to start from the beginning because there are so many things that I need to do to improve my art, that I'm a little unsure as to where to start first. For example, my style right now is very heavily anime-influenced, so I'm trying to break away from that and determine my own cartooning style (my ultimate goal in drawing). However, developing a style, I think, might come after I get through the basics, so for now I'll continue to do traditional drawing as I've done in my art class, and maybe later return to digital.

I'll leave this post for any featured artwork and in the next post I'll start with some sketches from my irl sketchbook.

The current featured artwork is:
    a collection of objects that I sketched from observation. I like how the banana came out.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ithuling; July 28th, 2011 at 12:08 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketchbook pics--sorry, I didn't date them.

I'll make sure to date my sketches after I finish posting these initial ones from my sketchbook, but for this post and the next few, unfortunately I don't have dates.

For the majority of my sketchbook assignments, I used graphite pencils, but I'm very sorry that some of the scans are overexposed, making the drawings faded.

Our first sketchbook assignment was hard! We were supposed to draw complex objects like popcorn or shoes (I chose my shoes because I didn't have popcorn) and draw them without lifting our tools. This exercise was mostly about looking and didn't really concentrate on shading or anything, just getting the shape of things. We were allowed to do some of them open-eyed but blind drawings were encouraged.

The second sketchbook assignment was to draw with negative space in mind, so I tried to draw the space around the lamp and the library rocking chair so that their forms would arise from the negative space, but I think I somewhat misunderstood the assignment and later became focused on 'inside' the object instead of 'outside' like we were supposed to focus on.

Also, drawing straight lines without a ruler is harder than I thought! (We were not at all allowed to use any measuring devices for this class)

Last edited by ithuling; July 23rd, 2011 at 02:55 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More Sketchbook stuff--spaces

Here are some spaces that I drew for the third and fourth sketchbook assignment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Moving on to apples and people--still no recorded dates, sorry!

The next sketchbook assignment was to draw something in 10 different ways. Since I was drawing from observation, I wasn't sure how to go about drawing them in 10 different styles, so I just drew them from 10 different views.

In the meantime I also tried jumping into drawing humans so I tried drawing people from a distance, and even tried my hand at charcoal in one of them (the girl hunched over doing homework), which was alien to me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More Objects

The next sketchbook assignment, we were told to draw 10 objects. I also tried to draw my roommate, who didn't appear to want me to draw her. =/

Edit: Also, I apologize for posting too much at once, I'd just like to get my more recent sketches up soon.

Last edited by ithuling; July 24th, 2011 at 02:27 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Self-portrait time!

Oh boy. Time to look at a mirror. The next sketchbook assignment was to draw myself in 5 different ways. I decided to branch out more in my media, and the results were a little disastrous (especially with charcoal). The first one is in graphite, my familiar medium, the second one in pen, which is foreign, the third in chunky vine charcoal, the fourth was in charcoal (although I tried to fill in shapes more than lines because I felt like my charcoal works were crappy because of the thick lines) and the fifth was in white conte, where I was sort of attempting a negative.

The last image is a vector portrait that I did in Adobe Illustrator in my high school multimedia class, but I traced over a photograph of myself and it's really not in 'vector' style since I used gradient mesh tool (which I hated).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More people

I tried to do more drawings of my friends for the next sketchbook assignment. Of course they move a lot, so that was a bit hard.

For the first one, my friend allowed me to draw her sleeping. Which was very helpful. Then in the second one I tried again at pen since I was so afraid of it, but my friend kept moving and this was not a medium in which I could erase and redraw his posture. In the third drawing, the figure was relatively still, but again, I was working in my more comfortable medium, graphite pencils. But I wanted another attempt at pen since I needed to do 4 different and more complete drawings, so I drew another friend on a laptop. I might have oversized his head a bit in trying to draw his massive form sitting on that tiny chair. One of my other friends has very sharp features which I wanted to capture but he fidgeted like a squirrel, so after a few attempts of drawing him, I gave up. Maybe I went about using ink the wrong way, and should've built the figure of his face in faint pen lines first, but I was still trying to gain a handle on ballpoint pen, so yet another friend, who was also pretty still on a laptop came out a little more successful, save for the tiny ink explosions. The last picture is of my paternal grandmother, who watched me draw as I drew her in charcoal, perhaps my weakest medium in sketching at least (on big paper, I tend to do better with it).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Flamenco...and fruits

So I've always been sort of fascinated with the way flamenco dancers move, but it may also be in part because I love the way the fabric of their dresses dance with them. So I went on youtube trying to draw poses of flamenco dancers.

Oh, also I drew some fruits. The lychee is from observation, the apple is from memory. Oh, I also tried to draw a coca-cola can too, but that fell flat.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, good start! I like your observational drawings of humans, and for some reason that computer mouse stands out to me.

On the lychee drawing, it could use some darker, er, darks. Also, try to distinguish the texture a little more... it's a bit hard to tell what sort of surface it has.
    The apple is pretty good for being from memory! It has the crisp, dark area where the shadow first begins under the apple, which is what I was talking about when I said "darker darks"

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.