Problem with Blending and Layers and Whatnot

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Problem with Blending and Layers and Whatnot

Hey, first off, I'm new to Painter 12 and would love some advice and help.

When used on higher layers, my blenders, for some odd reason, act as if the colors in layers beneath them are always white, regardless of whether or not they actually are. What I mean is if I take the smear blender (or any other brush made in to a blender) and "blend" a space on its layer that is empty, it will "erase" or draw a white space in that layer.

It's very annoying when dealing with multiple layers. Say I just finished drawing a figure in which I employed the use of multiple blenders or blending brushes and then begin to draw the background or effects below it. As I do this I will find that various areas where I had used these brushes are considered white marks on the layer above, and I have to manually erase them. Normally this wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for the fact that I have to do it around the edges of nearly everything I draw, resulting in my pieces looking very flat, sharp-edged, two-dimensional and "separate" from the background, as if they're in a pop-up book.

I remember seeing a thread on a similar topic before, but I can't find it. I hope to get good with digital painting, so I wold appreciate all the help I could get! Thank you CA, I salute you and your diligent efforts to help n00bs like me!

EDIT: Here's the thread I referred to. Found it! http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=223923 Reading into the replies it seems that there's not much I can do besides temporarily enable "pick up underlying color" when blurring the edges of my creations. I'd prefer if there was a way to do it so it would blend clear as a default instead of white so I don't have to risk messing up separate layers (and if there is a way then please, do share. That's why I'm keeping this thread here. That and I can't figure out how to delete it ), but until then this band-aid fix will have to do. ._.

Last edited by Pyre; July 22nd, 2011 at 07:18 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty much, as you've found, there's not much to be done about it.

I don't like it much either, but I've worked around it by either clicking "Pick up underlying color" or by always blending to the edge and never from the edge.

Also, something else you can do is make a separate blending layer. Just make a new layer, with nothing on it, make sure "Pick up underlying color" is checked, and start blending. It'll blend everything underneath, but all of the blending work is on that layer. Click that layer off, all the blending goes away.

-My work can be found at my local directory thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't get my head round why anyone would want to work with pick-up underlying colours turned off. I keep it on all the time - If I'm going to do a bit of blending I create a new layer and blend on that.

The only possible time I could imagine turning it off is if I were attempting to simulate something like a glaze on top of dried paint.

A lot of problems in Painter go away if you take into account that it's trying to emulate real media.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnMalcolm1970 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMalcolm1970 View Post
    I can't get my head round why anyone would want to work with pick-up underlying colours turned off. I keep it on all the time - If I'm going to do a bit of blending I create a new layer and blend on that.

The only possible time I could imagine turning it off is if I were attempting to simulate something like a glaze on top of dried paint.

A lot of problems in Painter go away if you take into account that it's trying to emulate real media.
    I remember people who use watercolors often leave this option off (ie like you said glazing).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    John,

What about people who change their minds and want to add another color below the top layer?

That would present a dilemma what with unwanted colors that would first need to be carefully removed before the next stage of painting could begin. Either that, or the unwanted colors would need to be painted over and depending on the circumstances, it could be fairly easy or painstakingly tedious work.

That's why I usually suggest the artist think ahead before deciding to check the Pick Up Underlying Colors box.

Or am I wrong? It happens, after all. ;o)

Jinny

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been wondering about this myself. I thought maybe there were settings I could change to keep the blenders from turning things white on the edges, and I thought I would figure it out as I used the program more. I guess I will have to try making another layer for blending and see if that works for me. If not, I guess I will continue to be careful of how I blend and continue to erase white areas.

I did notice that when I was working with the oil paints, using only the oily blenders did not leave any white marks. Maybe specific blenders are designed to be used with specific medium?

Wolf Daughter Designs Website http://aubrey-pugh.artistwebsites.com/

"To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." ~ William Shakespeare

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Wolf Daughter
    hit ctrl/cmd+B to bring brush settings menu and check your oily blenders type there, in the general tab
    if it's "artists oils" - refer to this post than
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showpos...3&postcount=10
    if it's "circular", "captured", "static bristle" or anything else - it will keep picking up whites
    (unless oily blender is using the "drip" method, that only works with existing pixels on the layer, and never picks up anything from bottom ones, regardless the pick up colours checkbox state. might sound complicated, but eh, you'll have to explore the brush creating in painter sooner or later! )

artists oils used to be clearly separated from the other brushes in painter 9-11, but all got kinda mixed up in v. 12

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wish every program had the "pick up underlying color" option. CS5 has a similar option but it blends everything, upper layers, bottom layers and it's so slow and just plain ugly and blurry.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.