Thanks

Exclamation Is it all downhill from now on?

Man, the irc channel is seriously lacking. It used to be so full and something always going on. You guys in charge of stuff need to work on some stuff to get people active in the channel, small events to bring in new people. Give them an actual reason to come to irc besides to just randomly chat. And i think the first step to that would be to get an active OP, keyword being active.
    But before that, i think we should bring the dsg crowd back to irc, since the bot does all the work , i think its killed the main focus from the chat, people used to come in and chat about the topic, offer new topics and get real time crits on their finished concept. Maybe this is all to much to handle, but in my opinion to have a successful community you need to consider all sides of the equation. I have a few ideas about other things with the forums and irc as well, but im not sure if my opinion is welcome or needed given the fact i dont post as much as many other memebers, but reguardless these are things that need to be thought about.
    On another note, I think the tutorial section needs to be cleared out, all threads that have died and werent helpful should be deleted, and the ones that were helpful and offered some insight should be brought to the top and sticky.Also on the topic of the tutorial section, what happen to the various tutorials to be completed by the heavyweight talent on the forums?
    My last few ideas for the forum are some to help excite the beginners about joining and sending them down the right path. In the past i have had many problems with the middle class, but those issues relate to the people who participated in them and not the concept itself. We have many professional art teachers on this board, as busy as they may be, im sure they have old ciriculums from past years they could make available to a mod , and we can conduct the learning that way.
    My thoughts toward this forum are far and wide, as annoying as i can be, I do enjoy this forum even in spite of its shortcomings, but their are some things that need to be done to make it more exciting.These are just a few of the thoughts i figured should be voiced as the forums seems to be dieing as of late.

AMEN

THese are Aveh's words, im posting them here since i think its here it will do some good.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    hey - thx for the words.
    the site will suffer MAJOR update.
    About irc and all - i never have time for it - but we can look at it after the workshop.
    That is the event of the year - for now it requires all attention, but i'm sure that we'll enjoy every seccond of it.

Oblio

Thanks
    Crash, I'm sure you've heard about the new site update, which promises lots and lots of new stuff. It will definately bring the community back together. Maybe you could find a few people on some instant messangers, like AIM, and start a few people, maybe 5 or so, that take the DSG subject to their own until the new site comes out (we are waiting, hardcorepixxx )

EDIT: If you want, you can contact me anytime and we can work on the DSG together, I'd really enjoy doing it, but never had motivation for it. My screen name for AIM is Monkey on Strike.

Thanks

uhm...

Not to be too cynical here, but how long as the site been "preparing for its update". I remeber over a year ago they were holding contests for logo redesign. I'm not complaining about how long its taking for the site to get an overhaul, not even close to it. I am just voicing some opinions of mine they can do to clean it up , until they do , in fact go through with this update. I think you kind of missed the idea of the post mos667, its not Just about the dsg or Just about the irc, its about the community as a whole.
    I just want to try and clear up the fact, that this is not about the site overhaul at all. It would be extremely hypocritical to complain about the time it takes to redo a forum as large as this when I can't take the time to finish my site, just to be clear.

Thanks
    The thing with the chat channel is weird, everyone just left all the sudden. Sure they went to the workshop, but did they get lost on the way home or what? Since the workshop it seems to be empty all the time.

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    About IRC...sure, active ops would be nice. An active channel would be really nice...I know I'm just idling over there. And I'm not around as much as I would like to. Anyway, it isn't my task to find more ops - the channel isn't "mine" and I surely don't know anyone well enough to make him/her op. And another thing; IRC may be a bit too hardcore for a lot of people. Maybe someone should develop a conceptart.org chat program (multi-platform stuff - Java) that can be used to chat and do opencanvas-like stuff. Hey, don't look at me! I don't have the time
    Small IRC events is definitely a good idea. I guess even a "main topic of the day/whatever" (like: "Today's main topic is [insert cool art subject here]") might inspire more interesting conversations.

And about new site/forum...we've got vBulletin 3 (that's the new version of this forum system), but I haven't had time to install and configure it yet. Considering the time and my current situation (I need to study!), I can promise you that _I_ won't have the new forum up and running before the end of May (that's when school ends for me). At the moment I'm installing/configuring/styling another vBulletin 3 forum, so I'm getting used to how it works. Should hopefully be easier the second time, although I will have a whole lot of importing to do instead

Keep the ideas coing. I guess we could use some kind of "site/forum suggestions/ideas/etc." forum so that all the good stuff just don't get randomly spread all over the place.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,434 Times in 2,935 Posts
    rome wasnt built in a day.

the site is all thought out. I just paid my lawyers thousands of dollars to complete our non profit organization status. we expect to have the site update soon. these things cost money. the workshops are covering the expenses for this stuff. now considering everyone has volunteered their services thus far I would expect a bit of gratitude instead of whining about how long things take. just be glad they are moving in the right direction. they are. trust me on that.

watch and see ...watch and see.

irc wise...feel free to post ideas on how to bring that part of the community to greater fruition. I would love to see that grow. perhaps one of the software companies will help us set some sort of paint program on it that actually works well. that would be a dream for me.

j

j

Thanks
    Now, I dont know if Im the right person to post about this subject yet, atleast not on the forum itself, since I have only been registered here a couple of days. But on the irc side of things, I would like to contribute to a few things that would maybe make it a bit more active.
    Currently Im a mod on the #cgtalk channel which is located on freenode, and even tho its the unofficial irc channel on "paper" its the official cgtalk irc channel in my mind. In there. What makes the channel so active there, are the constant challenges that are being held, not neccesarily challenges held on the forum, but just between the users on the channel, it definately is a fun place to be.
    What #conceptart needs, are more active mods, and some topic updates, I mean, there isnt even a topic set there. What makes a chat channel come to life, is erhm, chat.. and tho some people talk, its not very much on the subject of art. Which it doesnt always have to be either, but a topic, to bring people "together" will help alot.

On a sidenode, I was wondering why the channel was put on irc.thundercity.net, and was told that it was because the forum was on the same server. IMO its good to keep things together, but if the end result is less users, its not good. Maybe think about using another network, just a suggestion.

Ok you can start the flaming now
    Take the wheel and drive

Thanks
    Originally posted by Jason Manley
    rome wasnt built in a day.

the site is all thought out. I just paid my lawyers thousands of dollars to complete our non profit organization status. we expect to have the site update soon. these things cost money. the workshops are covering the expenses for this stuff. now considering everyone has volunteered their services thus far I would expect a bit of gratitude instead of whining about how long things take. just be glad they are moving in the right direction. they are. trust me on that.

watch and see ...watch and see.

irc wise...feel free to post ideas on how to bring that part of the community to greater fruition. I would love to see that grow. perhaps one of the software companies will help us set some sort of paint program on it that actually works well. that would be a dream for me.

j

j
    everybody wants something for free...

major major props to you for this sweet site. a good thread, because as I'm sure you know, constructive criticism can only make you better....but still...you've put so much work into the site and all at a cost of nothing to almost ALL of the users....major thanks, man.

Thanks
    someday after im finished in school and i get a friggin job
    Manley can expect a check from me.

About the mirc channel, if we get more pros there and clean the forum up (no more "whats art?" guys there) and yeah, make it to a real time ca it would be great.