Sketchbook: sketchhh ! - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: sketchhh !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks flanagan. yeah, i realized it was a bit off...meh.
    here's what i've done with the penguin so far.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    "the world is full of magic things, patiently waiting for our senses to grow sharper." - w.b. yeats

sketchbook. comments/advice appreciated (:
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's slowly getting there. Keep an eye on his right foot. It looks like it's hanging rather than sitting on the ground.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Flanagan, thanks for keeping an eye on my sketchbook. You're awesome. I subscribed to yours and I'll stop back there often as well. Penguin has a long ways to go, and I'm pretty slow at it right now but i like how its coming out so far.

So. my weekend is gonna be a shitshow. Job interviews tomorrow and Tuesday, two papers to write and one to edit, and two midterms on Monday. The only drawing I will be doing is in my class on Saturday morning, because i'm paying for it. I have some shit from yesterday that I'll post later today or sometime. Here's to stress and asshole teachers.

"the world is full of magic things, patiently waiting for our senses to grow sharper." - w.b. yeats

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here we go. they're a bit rough, but there's a couple that i thought were okay. also, sorry for the terrible image quality. cell phone camera...not awesome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They are rough, but drawing is rough so you're all good. I like that you're using pen it's a good way to get over the fear of making marks. I can tell you're are trying to capture the structure of the head in some of your sketches. Do more of that. Learn the underlying structure of the skull for you can understand the proper placement of the eyes, nose, lips, etc.. In my opinion, drawing is all about trial and error, trial and error. When you correct the same mistake so many times eventually just catch on little by little. So keep drawing those faces. Draw A LOT of faces. A LOT A LOT.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Flanagan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there,

Thanks for visiting my SB and for your encouragement. From the look of it, you are on the right path. Anyways, Let me make few suggestions....

1. Instead of working on multiple areas, focus your studies.(ex: Head studies) This will help you a lot on the long run.

2. Work more on your anatomy. Start small, Work Big. I like your dedication overall, since you have made so many updates. These are some of the books(DVDs) that helped me along.

Good old Andrew Loomis stuff
    Human Anatomy for Artists by Eliot Goldfinger
    Drawing the Human Figure from mind by Riven Phoenix (DVDs)
    Pencil drawing Techniques by David Lewis

3. Do lots of studies from references. Take a ruler and measure them out. Try to get answers to all those 'tricky' questions that comes to your mind. Focus less on rendering but focus on getting the anatomy right. Practice makes perfect!

4. Use movies to your advantage. Im a sucker for Medieval stuff so i usually dig movies like Gladiator, King Arthur etc etc. Observe and learn from those, may it be about lighting or expressions. Also keep an eye out for costumes and weapons!

5. Study the paintings of the old masters. I think you might find archives of their paintings on net. Observe how they have done things and what makes them special. Its certainly fun!

Hope these ramblings will help you someway. Ill drop by later to check on your updates.

My Sketchbook

Check out my friends?
    Lt.Plissken | Ramalooke | ThomasM | shiNIN | kiwigarbage | Kungfoowiz | Bethany K. | Sivonja | equilerex

What man is a man, who does not make the world, better. -Kingdom of Heaven

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for taking the time to type out all that advice, devastachio! i will try to do more detailed studies rather than random messy sketches. i think i just need to take more time on each one and really focus on what i am doing incorrectly! i like your tip about movies. i have been sketching from videos on vimeo.com, i think it helps to gain a better sense of form.

okay, so i guess i'll devote this next chunk of time to really understanding the anatomy of the head and face. draw draw draw (: once i finish my essays and midterms...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like Devastacio, I think you need the most work in the anatomy of the face, but hey, so do I, so you're not alone in that regard by any stretch. All of your faces are cool and have lots of personality, but the proportions are sometimes off. I really just think it's a practice thing, I'm sure you'll get more consistent as you go along.

Your penguin is adorable!! It makes me want to watch Happy Feet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely stuff, really like your penguin!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Kellye & AllyAlbon! (:
    Here is the result of art class on Saturday. We were 'translating' impressionist oil paintings into colored pencil. I didn't get to finish, but I'll try to go back another time and do the left side. It was a lot of fun though. I'm not sure if the colors will come out right because my computer screen is shit.

Claude Monet, Grand Canal, Venice 1908:

Last edited by neonndreams; November 2nd, 2011 at 03:30 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    skull study from sarah simblet's 'anatomy for the artist'. i don't know why, but i like drawing in pen better. even if it means i make a bunch of mistakes. also i got bored of doing the spine. so...oh well. another time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't really know where the best place to put this would be, cause my sketchbook tends to kinda blend in/hide behind all the awesome ones. So I guess I'll just post it for myself for now, I found a great new figure drawing reference website.

http://figuresfordrawing.tumblr.com/archive

In the week since it started they've amassed around 300 pictures and constantly adding more...people are so addicted to tumblr, man. anyway i'm definitely going to use it. Just thought i'd post it here, too. (:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice update. I'm not too familiar with color but it looks good. I like how you used color value to describe the forms on the buildings and the reflection on the water. The only thing that doesn't seem right is the sky. Is that part you didn't finish? Overall, it looks good. The skull is sick, good attention to structure and anatomical landmarks. The value on the temple, however, looks too dark. Maybe try out a value scale in your spare time? They seem like a waste of time but they do help you out subconsciously. Sketch more more more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey there mate,

Last two updates are cool. I like the vivid colors you have used @ post #70. Its good you started some focused studies. Dont get discouraged if your work dosnt match your expectations. its perfectly normal.

Lets see some work soon yes?

My Sketchbook

Check out my friends?
    Lt.Plissken | Ramalooke | ThomasM | shiNIN | kiwigarbage | Kungfoowiz | Bethany K. | Sivonja | equilerex

What man is a man, who does not make the world, better. -Kingdom of Heaven

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so close to being done with the hell week of school work! took a break from writing papers this morning though, so here's some figure and skull studies from today. i just couldn't get that loomis woman to look right. it was driving me nuts. i just gave up /: now that i have a break i'll definitely dive into a lot more focused studies.

Flanagan, I think that's what the sky was supposed to look like. well..to my best ability, anyway. i put up a reference pic in that post to compare. however i was looking at the real one, so it might be a little different on your/my computer screen. i color-corrected from my low-quality picture as best as i could, but my computer is kinda shitty, so it might be wrong.

thanks devastacio! trying not to get too discouraged. the last two posts i liked, though. i'm working on it (: yup yup more posts coming soon! thanks for checking back!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    quick sketches/doodles, there were more but they were especially bad. i'll try again tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hands & faces

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    these are from my art class this morning. the MFA has an exhibit, 'Degas and the Nude'. We were able to go in & draw from his own life drawings in various stages of his work. super cool, super inspiring, and i actually quite like how my own came out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    > from andrew loomis - drawing the head & hands
    > gesture figures. some 30sec, most 1min, maybe more.
    > blind contour figures
    > contour figures

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice update. Good amount of work. Since you're starting off with figure drawing try to always draw the WHOLE figure. This will allow you to get a better understanding of proportion. Studying the face is good, perhaps instead of worry about the facial features, right now just think of the structure of the head. For example, many people start off with a box to get the angle right then they draw the sphere and so on and so on. Burne Hogarth has a great examples of head drawings in different perspectives in Dynamic Figure Drawing. It's a good thing you're studying hands, but study your feet too. When i draw hands i start by using box like shapes to get the general angles and perspective down, then when everything is set I add in cylinders for the fingers and flesh it out. After the linear drawing is complete I add shade. By all means, i'm not telling you to do it my way but just so you can know, maybe it'll help you. Either way, you're finding your own path to success which is the RIGHT way for YOU. Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some loomis heads and sketchiess

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    neon

I like your blind single line contours, they seem pretty successful, although they're a bit too tight. I'd like to see you working a bit larger if that's an avenue available to you--constraining the figure that much is more a study of careful linework and less a focus on the figure itself.

Suggestions for the future and things to work on:
    -map out your proportions early on
    -foot studies
    -spend more time on poses that are supposed to be longer
    -draw the whole figure, larger

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, you have pretty good improvement here : ) I'm working from the same looms book you are. Keep up with that. He helps loads. Keep up doing what you are and you'll get there. Don't stop uploading. All the best!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ferroh : thanks for the advice! i will continue to check out your mentoring thread, and i'll try a lot more of those blind contours. i think they are definitely helping me to not worry so much about how it looks and concentrate more on the form of the body. i still have to do line drawings with different thickness though so i'll probably do that tomorrow. i am working on 14 x 17" paper...is that big enough? i will try to fill the whole page with the figures, though.

you are definitely right that i need to spend more time on some pieces. i am a bit impatient so i have mostly been doing small sketches. foot studies are on my eventual list of things to do! i hate feet though. D: gross

Damien : thanks for stopping by my sketchbook! loomis seems great so far. i will stop by your sketchbook sometime to see your stuff, too!

here are some figure studies, i think i gave myself around 2 min each. i was trying to use longer, more decisive lines rather than short ones to get them perfect. i was actually somewhat pleased with the results, obviously still needs lots of work but hopefully a step in the direction of learning to trust my lines! i was getting sick of grey on white background so i switched 'em

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm really into the faces in your sketchbook. They seem to have a uniqueness and realistic gesture, that hasn't quite made it into your digital stuff yet. I can see your pushing in that direction though. Keep going. Great start to your SB.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you nickodemus! yeah i haven't dived into digital very seriously. i think right now i am liking pencil & paper a bit more for learning but i'm trying to still use my tablet every once in a while so it doesn't get forgotten (:

big upload time! here's a bunch of figure drawings from my moleskine, today was a good drawing day i think (: i'm pretty pleased with most of them minus some parts (too small head, too big boob)

Last edited by neonndreams; November 10th, 2011 at 10:46 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some hands. and a figure i like, and one i don't. i did that by looking at a magazine page, tracing the 'frame' (like the lines going through the center & limbs) & then trying to copy that and flesh it out. the first one came out good, second not so much and i couldn't really see the lower half of her body (ad words) and the third...was just at a weird angle that i couldn't get so i gave up d:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello neondreams,

Drawing from reference is more manageable when you do mental measurements. Learn to use various parts of the picture as "rulers" for other parts of the picture. For instance, you can use a head to measure other nearby limbs/heads/etc; then you can use those limbs/heads/etc to mentally measure other nearby things, and so on. Negative space is also useful for measurement, so use those too.

Examples:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice sketchbook. You've made a good amount of improvement since your first post. And your figure drawings are looking great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fishysmell & Leo, thanks for stopping by my sketchbook!
    i haven't gotten a chance to update in a while because first my computer broke and i had to wait for a new one, and then i left the country on vacation, no computer or cell phone SO. now i'm back & ready to start drawing again. tonight or tomorrow i'll post a bunch of updates!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.