C.O.W. #222 ,the body part. VOTING!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Pick your favorite bodily mutation:

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • AdrianNagorski

0 0%
  • ColdDegree

0 0%
  • shadowind

2 2.94%
  • NailBiterMR

0 0%
  • Austin Smith

0 0%
  • Rob Powell

0 0%
  • David79

7 10.29%
  • GoldenSerpent

27 39.71%
  • J-Sun

4 5.88%
  • artiphats

0 0%
  • Sealegs

28 41.18%
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Round #222 - Voting!

Topic: The Body Part

Deadline for voting: 1 week

Round Requirements (Read BEFORE Voting!):
    - it must be recognizable as to what body part it mutated from, but remember, NO TORSO'S!

- you must mutate it to a point that it is recognizable as an independent creature, meaning that it is able to move, and eat, etc.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Si_Swe; July 28th, 2011 at 12:01 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Adrian Nagorski

Concept: Purple Syntax Oreospinaliphidous

This very rare spinal creature is induced into existence by a certain chemical cocktail reaction caused by an on set of adrenaline,
    the virus bonds the spinal region upon entering the host organism, purple spores seep through tissue seamlessly.
    the Purple Syntax Oreospinaliphidous comes to life in under five minutes ripping its way out of the hosts body often with fatal results..

Name:  cow222-finalimage.jpg
Views: 2558
Size:  530.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: ColdDegree

Concept: Corpse Lizard
    Only found inhabiting nearby corpse are the corpse lizard. Rumored to be made out of human remains.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Shadowind

Parasite arachnid: Mutant arachnid like creature made of human corspe's nose, parts of brain and eyes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: NailBIterMR

Concept: Hand Hermit

How the hand hermit came about is unknown. The hand hermit grows and lives in the veins of the wrist. Once it reaches a certain size, it uses its jagged mandibles to dismember its hosts hand. Before the hand has been detached , generally, the Hand Hermit will have taken control of the nerves and ligaments within the hand so it may use it to its own benefit once detached.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Slungue

Artist: Austin Smith

Concept: The Slungue
    The slungue is just one of the creatures created from the new strange virus hitting America. It is comprised of teeth, tongue, uvula, and teeth roots. It is best to avoid bathrooms and other places with dirty floors because these creatures love to live where they'll experience the most pungent tastes. Be careful to never let it lick you. Its saliva will burn away flesh and bone so that the slungue can absorb your nutrients. To incapacitate the creature just hit the uvula at the end of its tail. It will cause the slunge to convulse and release all of the matter its licked up.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,699 Times in 650 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Rob Powell

Concept: Specimen Unknown

These creatures are a results of several viral infections. Once the hand and eye break off of their human host, they merge together to form this grotesque creature. What makes them worse is how they quickly replicate. They are able to replicate through budding. Once an eye is large enough it then falls off to grow into a new individual. They use their shapr nails to grasp their victims as they impale them with their proboscus to injest internal fluids for norishment. If they are not dealt with initially they will wipe out a large city within a week.
    Name:  Body Part copy.jpg
Views: 3173
Size:  195.0 KB

Last edited by Rob Powell; July 27th, 2011 at 10:15 PM.
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [*B]Artist: [*COLOR=White] David79 [/COLOR]

Concept: [*COLOR=White] Vaginum eatum [/COLOR]
    [/B]
    In the year 2534 the scientist try to stop the humans reproduction , with a powerfull contraceptive... the vaccine worked better than expected and almost every human whas stoping to reproduce.
    The side effect and the bad one whas that the femal gender mutated into a killing machine, named Vaginum eatum, big apetite for human flesh specialy male ...

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to David79 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: GoldenSerpent

Concept: Walking Limb Disease
    This horrifying condition was first documented when a former astronaut, misdiagnosed with restless leg syndrome, woke to find his arm detached and crawling around the room. Walking Limb Disease is believed to have come from alien pathogens picked up somewhere on the astronaut's travels but its exact place of origin has yet to be discovered. Once infected the symptoms are quite similar to restless leg syndrome until of course your afflicted limb detaches. The creature must gestate for several months before it is capable of detaching and surviving on its own, once it detaches it will continue to mutate to better suit its survival. Walking limb disease can affect both arms and legs, but thankfully there have only been a handful of cases...so far.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GoldenSerpent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: J-Sun

Concept: Fingerling
    It was one thing when people in the advanced stages of the the XTR Virus started loosing fingers and toes… but when their dismembered digits developed into independent organisms, widespread panic ensued. Before long there were hundreds, then thousands, of these ambulatory "fingerlings". Despite their grotesque origins the "fingerlings" proved to be rather endearing creatures demonstrating affection and compassion for each other, with more developed fingerlings often assuming a parental role for newly spawned kin.

Last edited by J-Sun; July 27th, 2011 at 09:37 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Artiphats

Concept: Eyetackus Ballus

The Eyetackus Ballus is a member of the mutated species of human body parts that resulted from top secret biological experiments in Area 73. In an effort to create a new super-soldier, the government conducted tests on dead bodies, and sometimes live ones, brought back from the 3rd World War. The tests saw many more "failures", than successes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Sealegs

Concept: Skull-Crabby
    In this post apocalyptic-world the skull-crabs have mutated out of human remains...because of radiation. They can be quite nasty pests, but a few children have managed to tame them as pets cause cats and dogs are extremely rare...

Last edited by Sealegs; July 27th, 2011 at 11:56 PM.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sealegs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 542 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Poll is up!

Close to Rejection:
    Austin Smith: Reason - Dial down your image size. It should be no wider than 1000-1100 pixels wide and 800-900 high.

My vote went to GoldenSerpent. It simultaneously really grossed me out and incorporated (and perverted) the human elements to an admirable degree.

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    ArtStation; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know I didn't make it on time but wanted to show off my piece anyway. This is tough but my vote goes to GoldenSerpent for his supreme rendering skils.

Artist: Ryan Sumo

Concept: Squidlegs

Squidlegs are a delicacy in the Free city of Etruria. Most other cities cannot stand it though, for it has the peculiar smell of sweaty gym socks.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ryansumo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahhh dammit! Thought I had a couple more hours I feel your pain Ryansumo...
    Heres what I got anyway...

Artist: Taiski
    Concept: Brain dude

Other than the initial virus that turns people into these monstrosities spreads further through bodily fluid transfer. These things bit ya know!

Name:  bodypartfinal.jpg
Views: 2121
Size:  220.4 KB

RIGHT! I'm going to go cry myself to sleep then.
    Edit: Come to think about it, this is the voting thread, I probably shouldn't have put this here... Sorry in advance if that's the case!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, and voted for goldenserpent, it was perfect.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Taiski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Adrian - Scary concept, wouldn't want to be that person! This was a very ambitious idea. Good job on the panels, I like how we see the whole thing play out. Next time scrap the bright custom brush lines that seperate the panels, they take away from the presentation. As far as the design, make sure you are looking at reference whenever possible. Spend the extra time getting the drawing right, and you will have a good foundation to build off of.

ColdDegree - I really like the eyeballs at the joints. On the head though, I see how the jaw comes down out of the big eye, but I still get the sense that it is trying to be one element. That's a problem because they are not the same material. I would either make sure I define the two elements a bit more, and find a very intentional way to join them, or make it all one material with the same texturing and lighting. I like your loose painting style, I need to get looser in my own stuff, especially when I start out.

Shadowind - good job overall. The nose could go, only because it makes an otherwise scary creature look a bit cartoonish. I see what you were doing with the design, and it's well thought out. But the nose looks like an afterthought, and if you throw a nose on something it's always gonna be funny The only other nitpick is the legs. That brain would be pretty heavy, and to keep the rear end up the legs would have to be pretty strong. Maybe beefing up the rear legs (or all of them) with more musculature would help. As far as size / weight ratio, I think a spiders abdomen is lighter than a brain would be at that proportion. Maybe others will disagree with me.

NailBiter - Pretty good rendering here. It looks like the creature is crawling out of the hand though, as opposed to mutating from it. Maybe the hand could have been the same green color, to make it look like one creature. Also, the cracked texture on the ground is the same texture in the hand, so it's almost like the hand is transparent. But I don't think you intended for it to be transparent. Unless I am wrong, those are supposed to be veins. Make sure you use different looking textures to define different things in the painting.

Austin - Very unique creature you came up with. Watch the image size though. Rendering and lighting are pretty good, watch the soft brushes though. It's easy to get too "airbrushy". Over all I like this one a lot.

Rob - Oh man that thing is gross. I can see all those eyes coming out and turning into more creatures. Overall not much to crit, watch the anatomy at the finger joints, especially where the finger we see at right meets at the hand. I'm doing a lot of anatomy studies these days, and it helps a lot. I'm sure I'm not saying anything new though, keep at it man!

David79 - You're a beast! I loved the initial drawings when I saw them. From your other work that I've seen, I know you can render extremely well. I kind of wish you had painted over the lines here, and rendered out the light areas a bit more. I know I'm just being picky, but I think the forms get lost just a bit, and I know you are skilled enough to do it. The shadows are all there, so I do see form, but I think the values are running too close together. Again, the piece is solid so I'm stretching to find something that could make it better.

GoldenSerpent - I hate you, you get the vote Man, this is very good. Everything looks thought out, well designed, well painted. Perfect example of the brief. I don't know what I would improve, but since I know most artist's see things in their own work that they don't like, please tell us what you might have done differently, if anything at all. Oh wait, I found something.. there's a finger missing! Now I see it's all wrong, I feel much better about my own work. j/k

J-Sun - Well if these aren't the cutest little mutations I ever saw! They look adorable, and there's even a baby! Good unique take on the concept. Hmm, not much to crit here, really.

Artiphats - Well I went all in for rendering, really trying to focus on my painting skill. I think the eyeballs came out good, the rest could have been better. If anyone wants to point out the problems or do a paintover on it, feel free. I'm here to learn!

Sealegs - Awesomeness! This is the direction I want to go with my painting. It's loose, but the lights and shadows are well defined, I see texture in there, the forms look solid, etc. It looks effortless, which is the thing I like best. Obviously some areas are not "finished", but maybe you did that intentionally, either to draw attention to the more important areas or just for style sake? Do tell.

RyanSumo - One thing I think of is that the arm would tend to want to float. I try to keep those ideas in mind when I draw something. If this is a water creature, then maybe the whole arm has mutated into something more "fishy". Push that idea by giving the arm the colors and patterns that you might find in marine life. I think this would really sell the creature.

Taiski - This is one of my favorites. Well designed, well rendered, and scary looking! The eyes hanging down make it look just a bit corny, I might have scrapped those. But that's just me.

25. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to artiphats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oops! sorry first time at this. Totally botched the image size. Should I/Can I repost or just try again next time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AdrianNagorski - awesome idea to use a storyboard to illustrate the "birth" of the creature..very gruesome and gory!
    ColdDegree - does its tail break off to create anothe lizard? now that's one creature you can't sneak upon does that thing come from the blood pool? could've added blood trails under its legs
    Shadowwind -grotesque spider..love it! seems rather gory, maybe some wettness effect on the creature to add a sort of gloss would've complemented it nicely?
    NailBiter - great idea for a mutant hermit crab..though it seems more like a parasite than a hand that actually grew into a totally new creature; is the hand's skin dry? lil bit confusing with the same texture used on the hermit, hand and ground
    RobPowell - suitably disgusting and dangerous looking; like how all those numerous eyes are used to spawn new monstrosities
    David79 - wow! a contraceptive doing that? eep! nice rendering on the rocks and all, the inclusion of these black lines sorta makes it look sketchy/comic-y (which ain't a bad thing, but it seems to clash with the BG's render style)
    GoldenSerpent - ace job there with a beautiful, clean rendering
    JSun - nice twist on these beasties, looks rather harmless compared to others here; finger clearly visible at its core..are its legs made up of other fingers, or..?
    Sealegs - cool creature design, with good texturing..some areas dont seem as rendered as others...

gotta go with GoldenSerpent in the end..real good job there!

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to heimdayel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,699 Times in 650 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    great round guys, some nasty looking critters here

crits for the week...

AdrianNagorski: I notice on a lot of your stuff a lot of the colour work seems very plain and flat. Working on a white background can very easily flatten your image if you put almost no value variation in your rendering as well. The colours you use in your images would work well as base colours, but you need to start to work on adding more values, establish a lightsource and add shading and lighting accordingly, to bring out the forms much better. The story board is well thought out but not so well executed, they take away the focus of your creature so the design doesn't really stand out all that much. Also in terms of the design I'd like to see it actually look like an independent creature that mutated from the spine as opposed to just a spine and sacrum with eyes.

ColdDegree: Neat idea, One major problem here is all the red. the creature doesn't contrast very well with the background, making some parts a bit hard to make out, such as the feet. The values are almost the same, one thing you can do is remove the colour to see how the composition works. Also the cast shadow looks more like a texture than a shadow, which also hurts the readability of your creature. Anatomically it could be better, the best thing to do about that is to study really.

shadowind: Looks cool, would be cool to see tha paper texture throughout the wole background. Also some more refining to the creature's textures as well, would improve the piece.

NailBiterMR: Some really neat texturing, and an interesting concept. It probably would be better off if you had the ground cover more of the white, because it distrupts the overall silhouette, especially if you look at the top left of the creature, there is no contrast between the creature and the ground, but a huge contrast between the dark grey and green and the white. And as others stated it doesn't look like a mutation of the hand more than just a parasite.

Austin Smith: First of all try to upload smaller images, it's just because it's more convienet for people if theya re able to just scroll up and down without missing half of the image. 1000 pixels wide is decent. Also the rendering doesn't look quite so smooth, almost pixelated. The edges need to be more refined as well. It is quite a unique design however, with the acid spit and everything.

David79: lol, vagina monsters. I like the way you portrayed the leg anatomy, reminds me of bridgman's life drawings in a way. The rendering could've been pushed a bit further, becasue the linework takes away from the form.

GoldenSerpent: Really cool creature and some awesome detail work going on here. I like the transitions in textures occur from the hand to the mutated area of the creature. Really strong entry this round, you got my vote!

J-Sun: Glad you kept them like this, the have a very good appeal to them that makes them very loveable as opposed to horrific. You should use darker values here because they almost blend in with the background. I really like the floor texture here.

artiphats: Looks decent, doen't look so uniform because the eyes are rendered fairly well but the rest of the creature is lacking the same attention to detail as the eye. Makes your piece look a bit unbalanced.

Sealegs: My second pick for this round. Some great rendering going on, very realisitc looking textures on the skull. The rest of the creature could use a little more refining, though. And put something in the background to ground it, it's floating on nothing.

ryansumo: I like this one better than your last, because it actually looks like it mutated from a human leg as opposed to being shaped like one. The rendering seems a tad bit rough, and there are some flat regions pf the image that throw it off. Also it doesn't really look like it's in water.

taiski: Really cool looking creature, cept for the eyes. It would look much better if the eyes where actually merged into the brain, it would make it look a lot less cartoony. I like the indication of the ribs and spine in your creature as well. I would've changed the white background because it takes away from your creature's form, and doesn't make it look as good as it should.

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Adrian Nagorski: Your colors seem way to saturated, for example blond hair is not bright yellow so you might want to try toning them down. I’d also recommend you try working in grayscale first as it’s much easier to see if the forms and composition are working when you aren’t also trying to think about the color.

ColdDegree: One thing that seems really off is the creature’s shadow being so grainy, when it should be sharper, especially based on the highlights on the creature’s back.

Shadowind
    : I like this idea and am not really bothered by the nose although it does look like it isn’t blended into the body as well as the other elements are. Your spacing of the legs make the creature look a bit flat though, using a reference of how a spiders legs should be spaced would help.

NailBiterMR: The cracked background seems unnecessary and starts blending in with your hand texture’s too much. I’m also a bit confused about if that is an antenna on the creature’s right side or whether it is his other leg, if its his leg it should be much larger.

Austin Smith: What I can see looks interesting and the teeth and gums are really well done but the whole image looks very grainy, are you saving this as a jpeg or something else? Also this is WAY too big.

Rob Powell: Cool idea, the large eye stalks look good but the eyes on the hand look a bit stuck on, try having wrinkles of flesh around them sort of like primitive eyelids.

David79: Really great creature design but I liked the black and white sketches better. I’m not exactly sure of why, I think it’s either that the color palette of the creatures and rocks is too similar or maybe the creature’s skin is too grey that is throwing me off.

J-Sun
    : I think some harder edges would look good, also I don’t think the adult fingerling’s head should be bending like that, its back leg also seems bent awkwardly.

Artiphats: I really like all the detail you put into the eyes, The arms seem to be missing the same level of detail and overly smooth though, Maybe try giving them more wrinkles. Something like octopus skin might look cool.
    And yeah was wondering if anyone would catch that only 4 fingers are visible, I was using a ref were the middle and fourth finger are practically lined up so had a bit of trouble figuring out whether I should stick to the ref since I liked the pose or not. Definitely something to improve on how to edit awkward poses if I'm going to be using them heavily for reference.

Sealegs
    : Very cool stuff, you did a great job on the skull and I can definitely see this thing walking around sort of like a demonic version of those giant coconut crabs. The only thing that bugs me is that I think the skull would have a bit more flesh over it especially around were it attaches to the creature’s body. Even so great entry and you get my vote.

Ryansumo
    : Overall the leg looks too rounded try getting rid of some of the bulge on the areas of the front of the leg for instance the shin area shouldn’t look like it has that much padding, the bone is actually quite close to the skin with little protection and that’s why it hurts so much if you ever bump it into something. I like this a lot better than your first drawing, nice improvement!

Taiski: It’s a shame you couldn’t finish this in time I really like this design. I also like your color choices they are very natural looking. Even though you didn’t get done on time you should definitely finish rendering this and post in your sketchbook if you have one.

32. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GoldenSerpent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo, some nice ideas and good cow

Rob Powell: creepy little bastard ia thes little eyes, keep pratcicing the rendering! thx and yes i now about the render suck not finished!

Goldenserpent: congratz duda, simple and clean render, i c'ant says my is finished render >_<!

j-sun: they are adorable

Sealegs: iap congratz too my favorite !

taiski: too bad dude adn good u have only made one tail

artiphats:i liked the idea of the eye ball being the mounth good work with the refelction!! i now dude thx for the honesty ,i have mindursted the dates with cow and chow XD kind of stupid from my part next time i will not make the same mistake >_< now looking at it i shouldend post it, snif!

heimdael: thx pal is not finished T_T

see u in the next cow ! now i 'm going to sleep tired from the day! Cheers!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to David79 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for sealegs, because that is just a sick painting! I love the art and paint brush style you got going, and the idea is great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tough round to vote on.... sat there thinking whether I would vote G. Serpent or Sealegs. Ended u voting for Sealegs; the upside down human skull had a degree of symbolism behind it that fitted in well with the post-apocalyptic narrative he proposed.... the sort of upside down thinking that lead to such a war has spawned this sort of weird creature, which looks like a manifestation of the wreckless shit that was happening inside peoples heads (so ironic). I'm curious whether it was was a conscious use of such symbolism or not?

Great work G.Serpent. Aesthetically your work is amazing.

also liked David79's.

Members who have read this thread: 2