Art: Krudman's Portfolio
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Krudman's Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Krudman's Portfolio

Hello, all. I'm Scott DeWitt, and while I doubt folks have heard of me, I run a webcomic you can find here:

http://www.fanboys-online.com

and my portfolio site found here:

http://www.scottdewitt.com

I've made great strides in my artwork, as is evident from the first comic I made to the current one, and I've been encouraged to make an account here for critiques and networking. I'm about a month late doing this, but it's pretty intimidating to come here and see the gorgeous artwork on the front page and want people to rip on my stuff. I'm no stranger to taking criticism, but it just struck me as a whole new level.

I've decided to bite the bullet, and here I am! My portfolio is, sadly, pretty dated, but I have been doing my best to make and add more recent work. Here are a few samples:

My first attempt at digital painting. Nathan Fillion from reference.

Fanart from Ocarina of Time. I really wanted to interpret the old "ugly" graphics instead of playing the new release on the 3DS

A recent comic I did based off of The Protomen.

These are the most recent of the three, though the others in my site aren't too far off. I've more or less refined this last year instead of actually improving? Does that make sense?

I'd really really like to improve. Any feedback on what's wrong and what I can do to learn to improve would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the portrait isn;t too bad, if you spent more time on the eyes, I think it would be greatly beneficial. The comic looks alright as well, but the character look alot like Beast from XMEN.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Firstly, it seems like your webcomic page is broadcasting some kind of malware. You'll want to look into that.

Otherwise it looks like you're learning the tools fast. I'm not crazy about cartooning and flat color in general but I admit it's a valid choice. I guess what I would recommend is to give yourself more time. I always thought my digital painting skills were crap until recently when I started working longer on the pictures I was serious about. I think there's an attitude that it's supposed to be the fast and easy route, but you have to put in the hours to make art just like anything else.

I hope you keep experimenting with both the flat colors and the painterly quality in parallel, I think the extra sensitivity will help your comics.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You just need to spend more time on your paintings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Traumadore View Post
    Firstly, it seems like your webcomic page is broadcasting some kind of malware. You'll want to look into that.

Otherwise it looks like you're learning the tools fast. I'm not crazy about cartooning and flat color in general but I admit it's a valid choice. I guess what I would recommend is to give yourself more time. I always thought my digital painting skills were crap until recently when I started working longer on the pictures I was serious about. I think there's an attitude that it's supposed to be the fast and easy route, but you have to put in the hours to make art just like anything else.

I hope you keep experimenting with both the flat colors and the painterly quality in parallel, I think the extra sensitivity will help your comics.
    I am aware of the malware, and I am looking into it.

I'm afraid I don't know how to cartoon out of flat coloring. I've never been able to really figure out how to paint without a reference. I would love love love to, but I simply don't know how. Still trying to figure it out.

I REALLY appreciate this kind of feedback though! I thank you very much!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,339 Times in 1,204 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by krudman View Post
    I'm afraid I don't know how to cartoon out of flat coloring. I've never been able to really figure out how to paint without a reference. I would love love love to, but I simply don't know how. Still trying to figure it out.
    Practice shade basic 3D shapes given a light source (with reference and without, you don't want to just throw reference out and learn how to do everything all wrong). There's not that many of them so it shouldn't take you too long. Once you have that you have a base because you can construct complex shapes out of more simple ones.

Trawl through some of the threads on painting here, there's a ton of useful information, including books to pick up.

Also it's always good to brush up on the basics like anatomy, construction, value, composition and so forth.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.