New person needs advice...

View testimonialsView Artwork
    VoidBroid Guest

Unhappy New person needs advice...

Hi,

Great site and great artwork you have here.

My 'nick' is VoidBroid.

I work for a Games company in the UK. I obtained my degree in Illustration just over a year ago. After which I came to my current company.

Actually I'm desperate for some advice from somebody more experienced than myself who may have been in a similar situation as me.

The score is:

I am classed as a 'Artist' but the work I have to do is just plain chore. And I face doing this kind of work for the next year. this will mean that I will have learned nothing for two years.

Doing this work has sucked any passion, love, dedication, ambition and self-belief I had out of me. I came here all starry eyed. Now the bubble has most definatley burst and the games industry seems ruthless and cold to me. There is no spirit and it's every man for themselves. No glamour, no appreciation. I feel like a robot.

I need advice on what to do. I have to decide whether or not to leave my current job and go somewhere I'll be appreciated, stay here, or save up and go study another subject completley.

At my lowest points I think of giving up art altogether. These days I still have the will to create, but I cannot seem to face doing any art.

I hope somebody has been here, and fought back. I hope someone can give me some form of advice. It would be greatley appreciated.

-Thanks

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im sorry to hear about that... unfortunately im just soon to be starting a degree, so i dont know alot, but from everything ive read, you gotta stick with those beginning crappy jobs as a way to 'get your foot in the door'. ive read about alot of artists getting out of college and having a tough time, but i think its like how you have to work flipping burgers before you can be the manager, so to speak. sorry, that sounded alot better in my head. good luck man, and hang in there.

chris

VoidBroid Guest
    Thanks for the reply.

I see what you mean, but it's more about being creative than being promoted. I'm doing work I could have done 4 years ago. I started at this company based on a promise...which turns out that it was more than a slight exaggeration.

I hear a lot about people moving companies too often and that it can look bad if you do it, but I suppose if you're backed into a corner....your decision is made for you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i didnt realize exactly what you were asking then, i think... i dont think im qualifyed to respond here. if youre not happy youre not, i guess. sorry hopefully someone else will chime in here.

chris

VoidBroid Guest
    I just realised this post should be in Employment discussion, sorry: but I am new!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to the real world.....

No one said that work was ever going to be fun and frankly if someone told you that it was going to be fun, they lied. There seems to be the feeling that working at a game developer is going to be "fun". How could it not be, playing games all the time......

Well, you now know one of the big secrets of being out in the work force and adult life. Most of the work that we do will be just that, work.

Any company you work for is an insensitive origanization that simply cares if you are going to make the next milestone. Some are better than others but they are basically all the same. They don't much care how you feel.

Please do not take these comments as smartass and heartless remarks, but what has happened to you is rather typical and your reaction is also very normal.

I was the art director at a game developer for the last six years and invariably, artists came in for interviews with a completely skewed view of what the job held for them. Again, that is very normal.

I always tried to make sure that the new artists knew the majority of the work they would be doing would be monotonous and boring. That's just life.

So that is life but that does not help you with your current situation. I have had many an artist come to me with the same feelings.

What do you do?

Here are some things to realize that may help you.
    1. You are not the job and the work that you are asked to do does not define you. It's a job, that is all.
    2. Occasionally, you will be lucky enough to work on something that you like doing. That is a gift, enjoy it and be thankful for it. It won't generally last.
    3. If you are an "artist", be an artist. The reason that we do art is because we love "doing" art, not because we love our end results. Because we love the process, it is critical that we do some art every day. It does not have to be a masterpiece, just something.
    4. The first 30 minute of doing the "art" is the killer. If you can get throgh the first 30 minutes, you will not want to stop.
    5. Being tired is not an excuse. I hear all the time that I am just too tired or burned out to do anything when I get home from work. Well, that is just bullshit. We all find the time to do what we want to do. If you want to do art, then do it but don't moan about all the reasons that you can't do it. If you want to go home to sleep, then by all means do that, but hearing yourself complain about all the reasons that you can't do your art eventually will have you believing yourself. I often work late into the night doing my traditional oil painting because I dont have time to do it during the day. It is now 2:34 am and I just finished painting and I will need to get up at 7:00 to start another day. You just do what you have and want to do....
    6. As miserable as you now feel, it will pass. You my decide to go do something else, you may get laid off, who knows but right now you are blessed more than the majority of the people in the world. Most do not ever get to work at something that even remotely interests them so chin up, it could be worse.

Now this is rather a long tirade and I am sure that because it is so late, I am not making as much sense as I would like but I do sympathize with you. Hang on to being an artist but you will need to work harder than you have ever thought possible. The rewards are there if you want them. If you do not have a true desire, then go do something else, you will ultimately be happier.

Good luck to you. It is a jungle out there but your worth is determined by your own heart. You will be what ever it is that you truly want.

If you need me to clarify any of my rambling, do not hesitate to drop me a line.

Regards
    Don
    www.seegmillerart.com

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.