Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks

Stereotypes about artist

stereotypes associated with artist. Dump your experiences or findings here!!!!
    Or vent about something thats been on your mind!
    Last edited by Robert.B; October 3rd, 2004 at 03:31 PM.
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I think the only one I can think of is that people think everyone who goes to art school is somebody that makes pink glitter footballs to express how they feel about the issue of feminism etc etc.

I don't really care though.
    Um... yeah. Sorry I can't really help.

-toasty =\

Thanks
    hehe thanks for trying
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    starving, pretentious, and wierd?

I dunno.

-Rob
    My Sketchbook
    Encouragement keeps me swimming , even in the undertow of disappointment.

Thanks
    thanks guys but please try and think a little harder, have been a victom of a stereo type.
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

Thanks
    hehe. as an artist i obviously wear all black (black and white stripey shirts though) and a beret. I carry around paint brushes, speak with a french accent and drink red wine. The art i do is entirely abstract and it represents my troubled child hood in combination with curent political issues and several major world wars, as is quite evident from the red paint applied with the toothbrush i use every morning.
    Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    hahhahahaa that was beautiful
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 909 Posts
    i think that artist (who people thinking that they are artist: don't mean anybody !)
    _are thinking th're better than other stupid guys, but they are just less stupid.

_artists are always dreaming.

_artists are hidden in society

Thanks
    ZOU im sorry could try and explain that differently
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

Thanks

parents

they generally say that we artists are stupid for following our dreams

~regina
    A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
    George Bernard Shaw

Thanks
    As someone who's currently taking art classes at a school that primarily focuses on technology and business, some of my favorite ones I've heard are:

#1 "People who go for an art degree do so because they are too stupid or lazy to get a 'real' degree or too wimpy to play sports."

#2 "You only take art classes so you can draw your own naked lady pictures!"

To that I say number 1 is just plain ridiculous and number 2......well, that's not the ONLY reason.
    Ambassador of Kick-your-assador

Thanks
    yes unfortunetly iv herd some of those remarks as well
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

Thanks
    one thing that people always think is that if you are an arist you can do a sign for them. I hate that.

Thanks
    yes why is that? i can remember well actualy i can think of a few times when some one stoped me on the street becasue they noticed i was carrying an art portfolio, and the first thing they ask me is would you like to piant my portrait,as if im dieing or ( STARVING) to draw them because its what artis do, and yeah we cant find jobs i almost for got about that one. And the most insulting thing is that they will often expect you to do it for free!!!!!!!
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

Thanks
    we drink:beer:

Thanks
    Cheers to that. :chug:

One thing I think defines an artist is an all consuming drive to do what they believe they were meant to do. It's something we think about all the time, something that we couldn't see ourselves living without. It's a long term goal that can never be fully achieved, but that also keeps us dedicated to our dying breath.

This being said, it all looks rather hopeless to the practical if you aren't making a shitload of money doing it.

Thanks
    i hear ya.
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

Thanks
    why is it that poeple assume educated artist all want to confront femanist issues? i can most certainly tell you this is not my goal.
    Last edited by Robert.B; April 30th, 2004 at 11:39 AM.
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

Thanks
    I get very irritated with the Stereotypes of artists. Most which are bullshit and the fault of the "bullshit so called Fine Artists".

-Joshua

Thanks
    lol, its not the fine artist, its those damn modern artists who cut up cows and put lightbulbs in boxes

damn freaks

peace
    » sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

(First rule of Pocket Club...)

Thanks
    I think 95% of artists have some type of malfuntion with society, themselves, their parents, ..life in general. Many just love to draw really really dark shit.
    A lot of artists also like to see themselves as outcasts, or reclusive people. They don't like to shower, love to wear black, and try to act intelectualy superior.

Then they wonder why nobody understands them.

Howz that stereotype?:cool:
    "If one advances confidently in the direction of
    his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he
    has imagined, he will meet with a success
    unexpected in common hours."
    - H.D. Thoreau

Thanks
    lol, that was a good one Otis. If any one person with any of these stereotypes saw the group we had at Amsterdam, they would learn it takes almost every kind of person or personality to make an artist. We just happen to have an undying love of creating beautiful pieces of work, or atleast attempting to

Thanks
    i want to thank every one for there contributions so far
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

Thanks
    that was deep otis
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

Thanks
    not all interior designers are gay. i have met some people that fancy berets, but don't have a french accent. not every artist is a hippy. i think i just repeated what's already been said. the beret post made me laugh

Thanks
    good point
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

Thanks
    I'm not sure if this is a stereotype, but more of a misconception that once someone finds out you're an artist they ask you to make them some art and expect you to bust it out like it was easy and would take no time. I've gotten some weird requests too like, "paint me a picture of me and joe montana hugging eachother", or "since I never won anything, paint me winning a big trophy for my dad". I get alittle annoyed because art isn't an easy thing to do, and when I want it done right it usually takes some time.

Thanks

aelunith: What I was going to post would be the whole stereotype about art being somehow special and impratical and separate from daily life. People forget that it's artistry to cook a good meal or even to do a great business deal.

by my friend aelunith who hasnt joined this site yet.
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

Thanks
    A few stereotypes that I can think of (and have been a victim of):

–_That art isn't a real profession and artists don't do any work.

– That we all know where to find heroin.

I'm sure there are others, but those are the two that come immediately to mind.

Thanks
    Hope I'm not too late in adding a response to this. I've been quite irritated about the stereotypes given to artists. Some believe all artists dress weird, or have strange hair cuts like tall green mohawks, etc. A few artists do, and thats definitly not a bad thing, but NOT ALL artists. Some believe that all (male) artists are weak or sensitive and in touch with their "feelings" and "emotions", some even believe they're all gay or sexually confused...(I've even seen that stereotype in the movies). Some believe that (female) artists are all deep thinking feminists, or lesbians on some level. Some believe that artists aren't very intelligent, some believe that if your an artist, then that automatically means your not good at math or science, and that you like to mindlessly draw pretty things. (They obviously never heard of the intelligence of Sid Mead and his designs.) Some believe that all artists are psycho or crazy on some level. Most don't realize that many artists are just normal, regular people who happen to use their talent and intelligence to create art. This is not to say that their aren't artists who fit these stereotypes or even that it's bad being any of the stereotypes, but NOT ALL artists are these stereotypes and most non-artosts don't realize that. Most people don't realize the wide range of different types of art thats out their. Most non-artists don't realize that the very car they drive was most likely designed by an artist, because most of those people believe that artists all paint crazy paintings with oils. From what I've experienced, most non-artists have a very narrow view about what an artist is.

The only reason I have so much to say about this is because I'm your regualar average dude from New York, brought up and raised their. Once I got deep into the art feild, it was quite a culture shock to learn how most people view artists, and shocking to experience being labeled all types of weird stuff just because your an artist. Before I became a hardcore artist, it didn't experience any of that. I was just the average dude. But I enjoy being an artists regardless.

-C

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast