Thanks

Question Movie artist?!? Who are these people?!?

Just curious but whenever I watch a movie and look at the credits for the concept artists i rarely see familiar names, who are all these people and why dont I know about them? There seems to be masses of jobs in the film industry atm (by looking at all the films being and about to be released).
    Maybe im just naive but i swear theres a mass of artists out there with phenomenal work we as other artists dont know about that stops us from gettting these positions in the film industry.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    MAILMAN, about what you said about "Just curious but whenever I watch a movie and look at the credits for the concept artists i rarely see familiar names, who are all these people and why dont I know about them? There seems to be masses of jobs in the film industry atm (by looking at all the films being and about to be released)."

I know what you mean. Your right, there's TONS of artists out there that most people don't know anything about because they choose not to publicize themselves. Most artist that we know and here about are usually the small group who wants people to know who they are. And about stopping new artists from getting into the film industry, there is a certain pattern that goes on. It's kind of like Disney. It's difficult for new artists to join Disney because Disney usually has profession artists that they laidoff that they call back when ever they need them again. Or, those laidoff people will get another good job because of their Disney reputation, kind of like recycling dependable artists from company to company, that happens a lot in the Entertianment industry. New artists just have to find ways to break through. Usually you get your first job at a small company who can't afford to hire a well known artist who's too expensive to hire, so they go for younger talent that can possibly match a style they're looking for.

Thanks
    another thing about working in film, be it animation or live action, in most cases you need to belong to the correct union. sometimes to join the union is tricky.

Thanks
    ILM has a rep for hiring new talent. Then lays them off after film are done. But it looks great on a resume. Good start-up.

Start with like a Star Wars episode or Hellboy - whatever. Compare the names on the cast and crew lists, then go back to google to look up the individual names, you'll see some repetitive names come up.
    Last edited by Justme; April 30th, 2004 at 11:25 AM.

Thanks
    lots of key players from art center i notice, craig mullins, scott robertson, james clyne, feng zhu, ryan church, and tons of others.
    Nathan Campbells 3 steps to drawing like a pro, 1. Sketch 2. shade. 3. highlights and ur done

Thanks
    gasmask: Hopefully you'll be able to add to the list: Oskar Mendez(thats me btw)!

-http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."

Thanks
    haha yeah, i hope so to, i dont think we have to worry about you being their, i know ull turn out great!
    Nathan Campbells 3 steps to drawing like a pro, 1. Sketch 2. shade. 3. highlights and ur done

Thanks
    one of my top favs now Carlos Huante seems to be on every movie. I wish he had a site or just more art out there and yeah I have the book and dvds. Like the MIB movies don't really show that much. Hopefully Van Helsing puts out a book with a lot of his stuff though it's doubtful or Blade 3.
    joemadfan.com I run this site

nathensprings.net coming soon!

My Sketchbook updated 3/27/06

Thanks
    OT @madman, carlos is awesome. saying that the MIB movies dont really show that much, i feel is wrong... every alien in that damn movie had his style. the demo creature he did on his DVDs looks similar too. ever ride the MIB ride at disney? him too. his drawings etc.

maybe we dont know these people because of their lack of activity in the community. not that they dont want to maybe they just are too damn busy.. work, life, relationships, and children

*strang has 2 cents less now*

Thanks
    I'm not sure what your saying by "every alien in that damn movie had his style" I didn't mean you couldn't see his work/style come across in the movie you can definitely see his work/style in the movie. I just mean like on the bonus cd they don't show that many of his actual concept drawings compared to other dvd bonuses. I mean on like on the Mummy there is like just little flashes of the concept art on the disks and pretty much every dvd he did concept art for.

Is there somewhere you can see the concepts art for this MIB rid? cause I never even knew there was a MIB ride at disneyland or world.

Thanks
    ooh ok, yeah no "extra" artist coverage on DVD. maybe they dont think the majority are interested in that.

just ride the ride, thats all i can say. at DWorld in FL is where i rode it.. its just after the back to the future ride. and before the wild bill or something about a rodeo.

sorry can't be of much help.

ps, he still is a great artist

-Strang

Thanks
    oh Disneyworld i probably won't be making it down there anytime soon. If I ever do I'll remember to look for that.

oh definitely one of my favs he's in my top 5.

If anybody wants I have a links page I made over the last I dunno 2 years. Just a bunch of artist some concept artists just people I thought were really good. I'm sure there are a bunch I left out I just forget to bookmark some of them before.

anyways here is the link http://www.nathensprings.net/links2.html

and please ignore the colors I was just messing around I know it was an ugly choice. I'm just to lazy to change them to something better right now.
    Last edited by Madman!; May 2nd, 2004 at 06:49 PM.