Is it worth getting a I4 compared to older models?
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Is it worth getting a I4 compared to older models?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Is it worth getting a I4 compared to older models?

I am trying to find the best tool for what I want to do art wise and of course..alas..what is cost efficient.

Was wondering if it is worth getting an I4 compared to older (cheaper models)? And also if it would be best to invest into an extra large sized one? (800 bucks is well...a bit. )
    And finally last question. Comparatively whats 'better' Photoshop or painter?

I am new to digital painting but it is definitely a direction I want to go into with my artwork. I do a lot of detailed pieces and want my tablet and my software to be able to work with me on that level of detail. My monitor is 23" if that helps whatsoever.

Any suggestions would be great, thanks.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I still have an Intuos 2 that I bought on Ebay a few years ago, though to be honest I haven't really used it since getting my HP tablet PC. The biggest question you need to answer is how much room do you want/need to work with as far as active tablet area is concerned. If you find you just have to have a large tablet then I would suggest going with a used one. However the newer Intuos 4 line is designed around the newer wide screen ratio monitors and can provide more active tablet area when mated up with your screen.

At least either way you know that it will be an investment of some significance...you're not likely to have to replace it any time soon.

As for software...there really is no comparison in my opinion, they cater to different markets for different reasons. Photoshop is a wonderful graphics design tool and it's warp tool is without peer however it doesn't emulate real media anywhere near as good as Painter and color selection is sometimes a chore.
    Photoshop and Corel Painter aren't the only programs available...just the best known. Artrage is really coming into it's own and is significantly lower in price as well as several free programs that may not be as good over all as the top two...but you may not need them to be. The GIMP is a free PS like tool that is pretty impressive. openCanvas ver. 1 is a great little program that hardly occupies any room at all and was designed to be used with Wacom tablets. MyPaint is also another interesting little free program designed for use with tablets utilizing keyboard shortcuts to access it's menus.

Last edited by Penabled; July 18th, 2011 at 10:48 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Penabled For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've used both Intuos3 and Intuos4, and can't really tell a difference. They both feel equally comfortable to paint with. But that's just me

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Maidith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What Maidith said.

I used an i4 at work, an i3 at my studio, and i have a first gen bamboo at home.

They all feel really comfortable to work with, I never feel any signifigance between models concerning accuracy in lines or pressure sensitivity.

So.. If you want my opinion, I personally would try to find an i3 model (look for a widescreen model if you have a widescreen monitor) on ebay and use the rest of your budget for something else.

As for size, any Medium sized model is comfortable to work with. Going for larger ones is up to you but and how you're used to painting. ignore the small ones though..

My SketchBook

--Wait, whut? --
    Anonymous

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mossi For This Useful Post:

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I can tell the difference between my i4 and i3, you'll do just fine with an intuos3 or just intuos in general if it is a usb.

Older intuos like the 1-2 is harder to find replacement sheets and styluses so keep that in mind.

I never had any of the issues with PS (other than the occasional pressure sensitivity issue) when I use it on my machine, but I tend to use the i4 with my desktop and i3 with my laptop. I also don't use Photoshop that much but for touchups, so people who use PS for longer periods of time will run into more problems.

As far as bigger. Medium is fine, getting extra large may be cumbersome if you don't have the setup. My intuos4 is Large, and I love it.

Nib wear happens on the Intuos4 and broken USB ports if you don't keep the cable firm. The former I consider an minor annoyance. The latter is a problem that I had to pay 50 bucks in shipping for and the tablet was less than a year old.

Last edited by Arshes Nei; July 20th, 2011 at 12:48 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Nib wear happens on the Intuos4 and broken USB ports if you don't keep the cable firm. The former I consider an minor annoyance. The latter is a problem that I had to pay 50 bucks in shipping for and the tablet was less than a year old.
    Does the I3 series have any issues like this?

And thanks to everyone for the great advice!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The intuos3 doesn't have these issues.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would at least get the Intuos3 for the buttons. The touch strip for zooming in and out is a must have in my opinion.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just get the Intuos 4 A4 size (Large), you can always change the tablet's active area if you feel it's too large. Getting older tablets, Wacom cuts support quite quickly, depending on the region you are from you may have difficulty finding spare parts or even if you find them they are really and I mean really expensive, specially when it comes to the cover sheets (overlay). Also the drivers issue with older tablets but even Intuos 4 has issues of its own which Arshes mentioned already.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Portus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Portus View Post
    Just get the Intuos 4 A4 size (Large), you can always change the tablet's active area if you feel it's too large. Getting older tablets, Wacom cuts support quite quickly, depending on the region you are from you may have difficulty finding spare parts or even if you find them they are really and I mean really expensive, specially when it comes to the cover sheets (overlay). Also the drivers issue with older tablets but even Intuos 4 has issues of its own which Arshes mentioned already.
    Also with multiple monitors, I find that having the large gives me more space because of the "Force proportion issue" which people don't often mention.

I did notice some things about the intuos3 model you do want to watch very carefully.

1. Overlay sheets - they seem to have the widescreen versions around on Wacom's site in the US, but the 6x8 ones are harder to find in the US - I've seen them go for about 30 in Canada and other countries.

This is an issue because if you buy one on ebay, you don't know how scratched up the overlay sheet is if you buy it used.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Get an I4 if money is a secondary concern. It's a good investment. If you can't spare the extra cash though, I hear the I3 is still going strong. Get at least a medium on both accounts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have an I4, used to use a Graphire4. The touch ring is so, so, so wonderful. Nib wear is a very real problem though.
    size-wise, I use a medium and to me it's humongous.

Sketchbook

Naidy • Black Spot • Eyestrain • VK

“This is [...] where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares.” --Jason Rainville

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have an I4 and I love it, I used to have a really old bamboo and it was tiny, but the medium sized I4 is perfect. Also if you're worried about the nib wear, you can change the settings so that you don't have to press so hard on the nib and this would reduce nib wear in the long run, and the felt nibs that come with the I4 (you get three) I find don't wear down as quickly and they just feel more natural than the default hard plastic nibs.

I bought mine over a month ago, and I was looking at I3 models like you but I was worried that things would become impossible to replace eventually as the I4 is already a few years old.

No regrets here, although if money is a big concern and you can find an I3 for cheaper then I'm sure this would be a good investment also, but if it is second hand I3 then it may not last as long as a new intuos4.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to bbbbethhhh For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.