EOW 168 :: The Glasshouse That Lived Forever - (Corrick wins)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: The sacred tree that lies beyond the glass...

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Saruman sLp

13 27.08%
  • android411

3 6.25%
  • gunsbins

11 22.92%
  • Ros1

7 14.58%
  • Corrick

20 41.67%
  • GoGojojo

3 6.25%
  • chipsandsalsa

2 4.17%
  • SinnerMan

7 14.58%
  • siryder

11 22.92%
  • Lyno

6 12.50%
  • Ninjac

6 12.50%
  • takashmen

2 4.17%
  • kingkostas

0 0%
  • ismo

13 27.08%
  • ryan mcshane

1 2.08%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

EOW 168 :: The Glasshouse That Lived Forever - (Corrick wins)

EOW 168 :: The Glasshouse that Lived Forever
    topic suggested by revenebo

Brief:

A mysterious plague has caused a mass death of most of the Earth's plant life. The eco-friendly green movement isn't doing much to help the shortage of lumber throughout the world. Just one last tree remains.

What species? A mighty sequoia, a gnarled olive tree or something more ordinary? A shrine/temple/museum/stasis field/memorial park has been built, including the glasshouse that houses the tree. This tree is contained in a "protective" glasshouse for a dauntingly bleak, but necessary purpose - to remain for eternity as a beacon of hope, a testament to a legacy of our civilization coexisting in harmony with nature. Survival.

I've noticed people usually tend to avoid depicting interiors so I'd like them to use this topic as an exercise to challege them on an interior with all the organic details, lights, reflections, textures, etc. it implies. Interior view preferred/mandatory.

Please specify which image is final in this thread!

DEADLINE: Thursday, July 14th, 2011

ENTRIES:

Saruman sLp

This is a museum, where memories of lost things live. Glasshouse of memories, yeah.

android411

gunsbins

I've imagined about a lab has been built to research the last tree remains on Earth, for the mysterious bacterium that protected the tree against the plague.

Ros1

Corrick

"Oh I remember it being packed in there, everyone wanted to get a look. Not like they hadn't seen one before, but this one became kinda special, you know? Even with the las-nets and restrictors people would try to get closer... but no one much goes anymore. Of course everyone supports it, with the tax and everything and fundraisers for repairing the holo-glass and token gentech research. Mostly though it's just the old dome everyone passes downtown... We're proud of it though... I mean, who gets to honestly say they have the last tree on the planet... sad, but... who can say that?"

GoGojojo

This banyan tree is the last tree on earth. Having been enshrined by the people of earth, it continues to grow long after mankind had fallen, overtaking its home year by year, until the day it breaks out. Whether it flourishes or dies will mark mankind's final victory or defeat.

chipsandsalsa

This iron and glass atrium in New York City contains the last living tree found on earth. Its' windows shield the solitary oak from the harsh environment outside; plant life no longer grows anywhere in the smoggy atmosphere. It is hoped one day the tree will fill the space; so millions may marvel at its beauty and reflect on the carelessness of the past. Underneath a mural depicting a long past scene from once lush and verdant nearby Central Park, the oak sheds its leaves in preparation for the winter season.

SinnerMan

siryder

Lyno

Ninjac

Flavor Text:The last tree on Earth is contained within a sacred glass house high within the city skyline. Triple layered carbon-filament woven glass protects the tree from the massive amounts of pollution and radiation that have blanketed the planet over the past centuries. Large gun ships patrol the surrounding area day and night. One docking bay allows supplies to enter and samples of micro organisms to leave through a highly sophisticated decontamination chamber. Trained at an early age in biochemistry and dendrology (study of trees), only the Priestesses of Gaia are allowed to enter into the glass house. Once in they are a permanent resident, becoming one with their new home. They care for and cultivate the environment with the assistance of the most advanced filtration technologies, until death. It is one of the highest planetary honors and only a select few are chosen amongst the millions of women who compete for the position.

takashmen

kingkostas

Process composites & WIP's:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1310504945

ismo

ryan mcshane

OTHER ENTRIES: (didn't go to poll but I thought I should post!)

Corrick

I know it isn't inside, it just came out...

Leaning more towards Ozymandius with this one...

android411

Vote for your favorite entries and enjoy.

My site:
    http://thecentersphere.yolasite.com/

DA:
    http://halfshavenbananas.deviantart.com/

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    voted for Lyno and Ros1

great entries all

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Saruman sLp This speaks to me on many different levels. First that it's elegant, with exceptional colors and a very convincing looking system of glass windows and an autumn sun beaming down from the sky outside. There's also this casual atmosphere - the calm uniformity of a shop mall flitting and brimming with complacent happiness. This tree almost seems like nature has been commercialized, like this is to be the end of all trees. A sideshow at a metropolitan shopping center of the future. A relic in a museum disregarded by the population but remembered by naturalists and students of old ecological teachings, now extinct.
    android411 Nice, I like the dramatic, outreaching pose of the chosen tree. The setting itself looks like it could be the concert hall for a pseudo-Michael Jackson Thriller performance, with the blank looking people wandering about the tree lifelessly. Comment-wise, I don't think you utilize human figures to the best of your ability in your enviros. I know it's not holding you back when it comes to creating quality locations but it's noticeable when you can use better human figures convey scale, wonder, and just a sense of personal touch. I've seen you exercise great care in your work and make good progress throughout your designing process, like your entry for the mountain king activity for example. Maybe it was rushed this week? Not bad by any means though.
    gunsbins This was an interesting take. You have such a solid style and this one looks professional in appearance, efficient in concept, very direct and to the point. I would say the composition is satisfying, but not engaging or exciting. It's a well drawn and concretely presented atmosphere here, but it didn't sweep me off of my feet if you know what I mean, and I know you have the talent to accomplish a feat like that. Other than that small piece of observation from me I think this is excellent work. Your definitely making significant strides.
    Ros1 Cool world! "Silver Surfer Pays Homage to his Japanese, Tree Dwelling Ancestors" is something I could see surfacing in a comic book collection.. as always, clear cut, fantastical and leaning heavily on the dynamicism of your select perspective. The colors are metallic nutmeg but sharp, like a 1970's surreal sci fi thriller. That tree looks tasty, by the way.
    Corrick Wonderful concept with the backstory. If I was alive during those days I wouldn’t mind jogging around that tree or walking my dog / discussing botany with a robotic companion. Provocative entries through and through, thanks for what you contribute to this activity!
    GoGojojo I loved this story segment: Having been enshrined by the people of earth, it continues to grow long after mankind had fallen, overtaking its home year by year, until the day it breaks out. Whether it flourishes or dies will mark mankind's final victory or defeat. Powerful, somewhat prophetic statement. I thought the light brown, washy color scheme was a solid choice - showing it’s humanity’s last hope and it’s dissolving as time goes on. Reaching out, almost mourning while it’s fragile limbs extend towards the outside world.
    Chipsandsalsa beautiful perspective, I love how the tree is the most colorful aspect of the painting and your eyes are sort of drawn to it magnetically. A solid apocalyptic vision. One of, if not my favorite composition of the round.
    SinnerMan Really creative take on the subject, this looks like something that’d be in a different version of the movie Dark City or another world where people are dwarfed by the structures around them; this one is the last natural titan. Good color scheme all around, I liked what you did with the roots and the shadows.
    Siryder this is great, looks like a movie screenshot. The white mechanical organism helping to hold it up, or revitalize/sustain it’s growth, the worker playing his role in the tree’s survival. Loved your take on this.
    Lyno That tree looks like a monster, and it already got out it seems. This could be taking place in a cathedral somewhere around Europe during a war and the priests that lived there constructed a glass protection shield around the tree in hopes it wouldn’t be destroyed. Maybe the tree will end the war when the enemy sees the first tree in their lives - I was laughing when you said ‘I forgot the glass!’ but you pulled it off in a decent fashion here.
    Ninjac That’s a cool idea, convincing in size and planetary significance. It must get boring in there for those women but I suppose some prefer it to the chaos of the real world.
    Takashmen the environment has a curious quality/air to it but I can’t fully tell where this is taking place. A library, museum, celebration chamber? Obscure science exhibit. All in all, I liked the choice of having a red tree and the glowing glass that contains it.
    Kingkostas unexpected direction. Everclear time capsule siphoning tubular through a blue sky - at this point sun rays are fatal. Interesting take on the topic, but I’d have to say one of your other traditional approaches might’ve won this contest.
    Ismo nice entry. This feels complete, from the gloop of wires illuminating the trunk, the city in ruin beyond the windows, the man sitting up in the tree, wondering ‘how did it come to this?’ A depressing atmosphere was effective and the design of the tree was on point.
    Ryan mcshane Ominous. I like the slivery, wispy styled branches. The mixture of exotic colors meshed well here, as well as the path to a surgical procedure or an excavation team of highly trained biologists wearing highly protective suits.

Good round guys!

My site:
    http://thecentersphere.yolasite.com/

DA:
    http://halfshavenbananas.deviantart.com/

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Vulgar` For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, man.
    This is just awesome how you read this image. Cause all i can't express with my horrible english, you read through the picture, and wrote exactly what i wanted in description. Amazing.

Thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.