Art: Alejandro's Pinup and General character portfolio

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Alejandro's Pinup and General character portfolio

Hi my name is Alejandro.
    Drawing has always been a favorite pastime and strove to become more proficient at it. Ever since graduating at the Illinois Institute of Art at Chicago I not only have made great progress in my art, but I have been delving in digital art using Photoshop. I discovered that I have a new passion for digital art as well as knowing how to finally use color theory in my work. So now I decided to have my work critiqued by other artists outside of my local network. I hope to learn much to realize my potential and inspire others as others have inspired me.

Thank you.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by alagear; February 7th, 2013 at 07:28 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd say you have some value problems in your work. Check and make sure your images look good in black and white as you work on them. If you see dark spots jump out at you (as in the final image posted) or everything blends together when you blur your eyes because you are relying on color instead of value to define the form, then you need to readjust. I am seeing a bit of both. All you need to do is create a new layer in photoshop, fill it with black, and then set the layer to saturation.

It's important to note that just because the values get that dark in a photograph, to make great art you need to be able to recognize when following ref is helping or hurting the overall effect of your piece. Also I would like to see more pieces that deviate from photo reference. Let your creativity shine!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lithriel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot Lithriel! I do agree with everything you stated in your message. I will immediately make those adjustments. Oh and also I do have a lot work that is non-photo referenced. I will post those as work-in-progress pieces. I hope you can critique those as well. Thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 1