is LinkedIn helpful + professors who dont teach me
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: is LinkedIn helpful + professors who dont teach me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

is LinkedIn helpful + professors who dont teach me

my head is scrambled eggs so let me just list my questions

1. is LinkedIn really that helpful, do any of you even use it, should i get one for college tho i am not even a working professional yet?
    2. is it awkward to 'connect' with your highschool teachers (close ones) and your college professors on linkedin? its not like im professionally working
    3. should i try to get to know professors at college who dont teach me? or is that overtly obnoxious?

i am really scared of unbearable debt and trying to save money, so i plan on working my ass off, send resumes and portfolios, get to know as many people as possible (including older kids, kids not in my classes, and professors who didnt teach me if possible), and then drop out after foundation year unless i get more scholarship lol

~*the artistic journey is like giving birth, its gonna hurt and you know you suck but you cant give up because there is no such thing as "giving up" in childbirth*~
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    For the record, Stragan, anytime something MIGHT be useful and it also happens to be entirely free, go for it! You shouldn't care about awkwardness and your teachers might want to see your progression anyway.

So:

1. Maybe.
    2. Maybe but only if you make it awkward.
    3. Absolutely and no would not be at all obnoxious!

And your plan sounds good. Try to, if you can, find a way to make money and exercise your art skills at the same time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think LinkedIn is a bit hyped and it is whatever you make of it. You can kept is strictly on professional level or connect with old colleages. There is no rule. If you do sign up be prepared for a bit of spam.

Last edited by Pigeonkill; July 18th, 2011 at 02:18 AM.
    Make a sketchbook happy, feed it a tip to improve!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85628

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1. maybe? come on thats such a vague answer

2. what do you mean if i make it awkward
    there's this one teacher who i had for only a year and who's written books and stuff. so instead of being like "HELLO... I GOOGLED YOUR NAME..."
    i'll probably have to be like "hey i found your linkedin while searching your books, let's connect!! i am also majoring in art here's my website" (i dont have a website lol just stating as example)

3. you sure? even the professors who didn't teach me? i know they wont be like "fuck off kid you're not even in my class" but idk, arent professors usually very busy people?

i have several highschool teachers who can be great resources (not that i just want to use them, they're actually good people) there's so many people i wish i got to know but didnt because they never taught me or i only knew them for a year

~*the artistic journey is like giving birth, its gonna hurt and you know you suck but you cant give up because there is no such thing as "giving up" in childbirth*~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by stragan View Post
    i am really scared of unbearable debt and trying to save money, so i plan on working my ass off, send resumes and portfolios, get to know as many people as possible (including older kids, kids not in my classes, and professors who didnt teach me if possible), and then drop out after foundation year unless i get more scholarship lol
    stragan, I read through a bit of your post history, and it seems like you're often worrying over details that really don't matter to you at this point in time. An impressive portfolio will always be infinitely more important than networking, who/where you studied under, your artist friends, etc. And I think you already know that yourself, but I also know how financial situations and self doubt can cloud the thought process.

I know very little about you, so I pose the question, are you really in the best position for school right now? If you are truly dedicated and prepared to rip knowledge out of the institution and professors, go for it! But only you can know if you are ready for such an experience. If you haven't been dedicating time to your craft regularly already (your sketchbook needs A LOT more action), how do you think going to school will change this?

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SamRainger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I find LinkedIn to be a great tool for finding specific people within a company you are looking for, and has a good search engine to find companies.
    Looking at the statistics can be interesting.

I don't really participate in the discussions, and I don't find the job section very useful, nor do I think anyone has contacted me through it.
    I don't have the pro account, but a Google search will bring up full names.

The quality of your contacts is more important than the quantity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SamRainger View Post
    stragan, ..... are you really in the best position for school right now? If you are truly dedicated and prepared to rip knowledge out of the institution and professors, go for it! But only you can know if you are ready for such an experience. If you haven't been dedicating time to your craft regularly already (your sketchbook needs A LOT more action), how do you think going to school will change this?
    i kind of stopped posting stuff online unless i plan on selling it
    and its not like i can really contribute much online anyway now because my tools are packed up, shit's been hectic for the last several months, and i can get on my feet again once i leave. the key is to leave first, though.
    in the meanwhile, yeah i guess i've been painting a bit on throw-away planks and cardboard boxes lol (i have some crappy paint that i wont take with me).... only at friends' houses and that's not that common anymore because they're all off to vacation/college.

becoming skilled is more straightforward than knowing how to get the right people to work with you. getting skills is basically continue drawing endlessly like a dense giant who cant feel any pain. it's not as straightforward to make connections though, not for me.

so yea i am totally eager to milk the institute lol... and its not like i have a choice anyway. in this economy, i think the ideal situation for an artist is to stay home to save rent, and learn from home and gather more scholarship before shooting off to college. that doesnt seem like an option for me though. but since i am spending so much $$$$ to go there, i rather exploit the place

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Stragan, this is for you. Tattoo it on the inside of your eyelids.

Name:  _oKsGl-1-tm.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  29.2 KB

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

10. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Stragan, this is for you. Tattoo it on the inside of your eyelids.

Name:  _oKsGl-1-tm.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  29.2 KB
    i dont get it they all lead to the same thing lol

so yea im gonna just go with jacob krobyn's advice on the school thing.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

3. you sure? even the professors who didn't teach me? i know they wont be like "fuck off kid you're not even in my class" but idk, arent professors usually very busy people?
    If someone doesn't know you well enough or doesn't like you, the worse thing that can happen is that they won't add you. No biggie

Make a sketchbook happy, feed it a tip to improve!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85628

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Planning is great, but it's follow-through that matters.

Also, procrastinators will rule the world....

....once they get around to it.

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't found linked-in to be of any value. Been on it for years but all my old professional colleagues and peers mostly stay in touch via facebook.

Don't force things man...it never works. Not with women, not with school, not with art...

If you're going to a pretty decent "art school" just be prepared...it will likely be a real eye-fucking-opener.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    The eye opener is after art school when you realise its the real world that teaches you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamsta View Post
    The quality of your contacts is more important than the quantity.
    i guess

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeonkill View Post
    If someone doesn't know you well enough or doesn't like you, the worse thing that can happen is that they won't add you. No biggie
    yea i guess lol

Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Planning is great, but it's follow-through that matters.
    its easy for me to follow through, but i am not good at planning stuff especially if idk what i am getting myself into

Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    Don't force things man...it never works. Not with women, not with school, not with art...

If you're going to a pretty decent "art school" just be prepared...it will likely be a real eye-fucking-opener.
    force things? i thought i was being proactive lol

and eye opener? how come? besides the fact that i'll be facing tons of sleepless nights....

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, being proactive is great...I believe initiative is important, very important. It is a fine line between that and forcing things though is all. Just do your best, put yourself out there, but in the end step back and let it happen.

Well, it kind of depends on the school...just be prepared.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i dont get it they all lead to the same thing lol

so yea im gonna just go with jacob krobyn's advice on the school thing.....
    The point is to not worry at all! I heard someone once say "Don't worry because it's not the end of the world and if it is then oh well... Don't worry about that either."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

force things? i thought i was being proactive lol

and eye opener? how come? besides the fact that i'll be facing tons of sleepless nights....
    Draw more. That's being proactive. It only takes some pen/pencil and paper. Stopping here and worrying about everything else but doing what you should be doing the most is the real problem.

Just doing your instructor's exercises leaves out the other part of you being an artist, which is your personal vision, and you need to do that outside of class.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Draw more. That's being proactive. It only takes some pen/pencil and paper. Stopping here and worrying about everything else but doing what you should be doing the most is the real problem.

Just doing your instructor's exercises leaves out the other part of you being an artist, which is your personal vision, and you need to do that outside of class.
    i do still draw/paint and i dont plan on decreasing the amount even when i go to college. i know that i am not updating or active online but as i said so many times, i dont have to means to post ok so guys seriously drop this "WHAT ARE YOU DOING ONLINE GO DRAW" business. alot of you guys lurk this forum way more than you should be doing (especially those that say they're professionals) but you dont see me pointing fingers and telling you guys you should go draw, right? i just go "well i guess they have their own reason for spending so much time on this forum, maybe they finish their projects early" and then not say anything because i dont know their situations nor is it my business

and yea i know about the "draw beyond the classroom" thing, alot of people stated that including jason manley. that's why i know i'll be facing more than a bunch of sleepless nights....

Last edited by stragan; July 19th, 2011 at 12:45 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i do still draw/paint. i know that i am not updating or active online but as i said so many times, i dont have to means to post ok so guys seriously drop this "WHAT ARE YOU DOING ONLINE GO DRAW" business. alot of you guys lurk this forum more than you should be doing too but you dont see me pointing fingers and telling you guys you should go draw, right?

and yea i know about the "draw beyond the classroom" thing, alot of people stated that including jason manley. that's why i know i'll be facing more than a bunch of sleepless nights....
    Then stop worrying and go draw. My point still stands.

I am supporting a roommate that is drawing so he can make this a career. He doesn't sit on lounge on CA all day with silly topics. He knows he has to work his @$$ off and focus on getting better. If he did, I'd be giving him the same ass kicking I'm giving you.

So yeah, I'm working a full time job so someone else can get some help and live their dream.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Then stop worrying and go draw. My point still stands.

I am supporting a roommate that is drawing so he can make this a career. He doesn't sit on lounge on CA all day with silly topics. He knows he has to work his @$$ off and focus on getting better. If he did, I'd be giving him the same ass kicking I'm giving you.

So yeah, I'm working a full time job so someone else can get some help and live their dream.
    i draw and lurk and do chores at the same time lol
    so no i dont sit on CA all day and i dont think its a silly topic. why is it silly?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've gotten work from a lot of different sites, but don't think anything has ever come of using Linkedin. Still gonna keep a profile there, just in case.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For the record it's not hypocritical unless those professionals are not actually drawing/working. I don't like the whole "Get off your ass and draw" thing because that's not really how motivation works. That said, with the exception of balancing out economic issues, there are very very very few things that an artist can do that are more productive or helpful to their cause than to create artwork. It's easy to be caught up in worries and such, especially at your age (and that may be a generational thing - I am in your generation so I'm not saying that as an outsider) because it's a cultural thing to think that if you're not worrying about something then you're doing an inadequate amount of work or something. That's not true!

I believe that you will do very well, Stragan, I really do. And I say that because you seem very motivated and passionate and honestly that's just about all you need to be to do well in any field. You're young, and I don't say that condescendingly, and you're at the age where these worries are almost inescapable. Try to relax and just flow with the artistic process. When the art flows, there's nothing stressful about it.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to OldJake666 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Kobryn View Post
    For the record it's not hypocritical unless those professionals are not actually drawing/working. I don't like the whole "Get off your ass and draw" thing because that's not really how motivation works. That said, with the exception of balancing out economic issues, there are very very very few things that an artist can do that are more productive or helpful to their cause than to create artwork. It's easy to be caught up in worries and such, especially at your age (and that may be a generational thing - I am in your generation so I'm not saying that as an outsider) because it's a cultural thing to think that if you're not worrying about something then you're doing an inadequate amount of work or something. That's not true!

I believe that you will do very well, Stragan, I really do. And I say that because you seem very motivated and passionate and honestly that's just about all you need to be to do well in any field. You're young, and I don't say that condescendingly, and you're at the age where these worries are almost inescapable. Try to relax and just flow with the artistic process. When the art flows, there's nothing stressful about it.
    well ok i guess, i just kind of find it scary how there's so many products with crappy art (i mean alot of RPGs have massive shitty copy paste anime arts especially those korean games) but i hear about alot of good trained artists having hard time finding work. so confused

and yea thnx for the encouragement lol

Thanks
    Thanked 1,425 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey stragan, dont take this too personally and this is certainly not intended to hurt or offend you, but more and more I get the impression of you that you talk a lot but you actually do little (not just in this particular thread but overall). And this isnt a way to get better or to achieve your goals in live. believe me I am much like that in many ways and I hate it.

I know how this works, you plan a lot and you think about all the possibilities and in the end you do have the feeling/impression that youve done much to accomplish what you planned but actually youve done nothing but just spent much time on thinking. GET OVER IT ! I know that its hard and most of the time you fear to fail in many things but that is just how it works.

and concerning your overall question : just dont give a damn! even it were awkward to connect with your teachers or professors and even IF others would judge you for doing so WHO CARES ? Its your one precious life ! Do whatever makes you feel happy about it and what helps you to become the person you want to be!

You simply have to stop all that pointless thinking and actually put some things in motion to get closer to anything your wish for yourself in life.

this is a little something that sums up your situation :

Name:  thumbs_dbe61.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  465.3 KB

just dont miss your chances in life because youre brooding about everything

so long
    Seb

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Partisan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow partisan, that comic really hit home for me O.O Good thing I just decided to get over it last friday!

You'd be surprised how much over thinking and over planning can slow down your process. You start beating yourself up, saying you're not worthy of getting paid to do work, its a horrible cycle that only you can end. When I realized this, I wanted to punch myself in the face. Instead, I opened my sketchbook and put a smile on my face.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    no offense taken but yea that comic sums up my life

so yea i guess it means i should do whatever i want and just talk to everyone then?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You should take whatever means necessary to get where you want to go and meet who you want to meet. Live without fear.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to carakhan For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.