Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Do you enjoy where you're living?

household wise.
    I'm living with my crazy family and it's pretty hectic all the time. having four little brothers isn't an ideal family lifestyle. There's also my parents, and our grandma living here. I used to have a room upstairs with three of my brothers, but the one roomed downstairs switched rooms with me. i can still hear the yelling and fighting and jumping..... I hate how dirty/messy our house is, me being a neat freak and all. I'm almost always away from home now because I can't stand the people I live with.

How is your living situation?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,499 Times in 747 Posts
    Excellent.

I'm old. Being old is great. You have lots of stuff and you get things pretty much your own way all the time. I live in a neighborhood where most people are even older than me, which is cool because old people are especially nice to each other and we share secret insider old people jokes and drink a lot.

Downside: parts of my body hurt and things don't heal fast any more.
    I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    Excellent.

I'm old. Being old is great. You have lots of stuff and you get things pretty much your own way all the time. I live in a neighborhood where most people are even older than me, which is cool because old people are especially nice to each other and we share secret insider old people jokes and drink a lot.

Downside: parts of my body hurt and things don't heal fast any more.

Another downside of being older is that you are the one responsible for making sure there is food on the table, gas in the car, and the roof isn't leaking. At least you have autonomy though.
    As the ego shrinks, so the spirit expands.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grin Without a Cat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    No, that's being older. Being older is probably the hardest age. That's the part where you struggle and raise a family and fight with your boss and make investments and fix up the house.

Being old is after that bit. That's when you've amassed all you're going to and you let everything gently run down.
    I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Stoat - how old are you exactly? If you don't mind me asking.... >.>

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts

Thumbs up

Yeah, I actually like where I live. (novelty!)

Traded "Ken Loach" style Northern city grimness for cheerful village with duck ponds and stuff.
    I have a dedicated painting room for the first time in years, nice neighbours, local pub with great lager and a beer garden and the constant background noise of wailing sirens has been replaced with chirpy birds.
    Last edited by Flake; July 16th, 2011 at 10:26 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Flake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I live in a small apartment with my boyfriend. My "office" is just a corner in the living room, but I really like the way it is set up. Our home may be small, but it's really nice and cozy. Our neighborhood is pretty quiet but about a 15 minute walk away from the downtown area which has a great night life and lots of shops and restaurants. I can say I am completely happy with my living situation.

Considering the fact that I had to leave home with nothing about 4 years ago, I'm very fortunate to be in the position that I am now.

Thanks
    whoohoo sounds like my family \^_^/
    i was not gonna reply to this thread because i'd have to refrain from spilling the beans but fuck it.

i am actually prepared to get the fuck away from my household, i just need a place to go now. my household is so scary that i bawl and have small episodes of seizure because living under the physical force of my mother and an adult brother can seriously get under my skin sometimes.

seriously though, you're not alone ok???
    Last edited by stragan; July 16th, 2011 at 10:31 PM.
    ~*the artistic journey is like giving birth, its gonna hurt and you know you suck but you cant give up because there is no such thing as "giving up" in childbirth*~

Thanks
    Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,214 Posts
    I'm pretty happy. If my guy wasn't allergic to pets my life would be pretty much perfect. Oh, and it would also be nice if winter only lasted a quarter of the year rather than half and there were more decent Mexican restaurants around.
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    @flake, that sounds amazing! I'd love to live in a rural area, but I'm stuck in vegas for now.

@JJacks, thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Yeah, I dig it.

If it helps any my previous pad was on the edge of the red light district opposite a slaughterhouse.
    The shopkeeper at the end of the road gave up after his second armed robbery inside a fortnight, I regularly had to step over passed out junkies to get into my house and every other flat in my block was burgled during my stay there. (presumably I didn't look like I had anything worth stealing.). My neighbours included junkies, hookers and the casually insane.

The place before that was so cold and damp that my kitchen curtains froze solid to the windows one year.

Point being, lots of us have to live somewhere... less than ideal.. for some time, with work and persistence it usually gets better.
    Last edited by Flake; July 16th, 2011 at 11:41 PM.

Thanks
    I live in the government housing. There is loud music playing 1:00 A.M. in the morning, and not good music either (Cruddy rap music with bass all the way through the roof). I have to walk about 3/4 of a mile to get decent non-expensive food. My room is about 8 foot by 8 foot, and is really crowded with stuff. I only have about 2 meters squared of moving space, if I move anywhere else outside of that proximity, something might fall. I have two sisters who take 2 hour showers and baths, including putting on those tubes of paste that they use to protect their skin. When I am outside, they call me every now and then just so they could let me know they are going to take a shower, but I don't care and don't pick up the cellphone at all because it is not normal. My parents are loud and uneducated. I don't talk to my father because I hate his guts, after he brutally beat me every now and then when I was little. Once he dragged me on the floor beating me for spilling tea. My mom also hits me when I was little, but not as much. One day a Child protection service woman came by to talk to my parents, because I wrote an essay in high school explaining my parent's parenting. My parents used to tell me to tell my teachers that I got bruises from playing or falling. I was picked on, beat, and robbed, a few times by some thugs in the past because of bad neighborhood (now I carry something sharp in my bag, I don't care if I have to kill for self defense). My father didn't care and yelled at me for being weak. That is why I don't talk to my father, but I still live with him. So, I don't enjoy where I live.
    Last edited by Vay; July 17th, 2011 at 12:59 AM.
    My Sketchbook

Twinkle, twinkle little star
    I don't wonder what you are
    For by spectroscopic ken
    I know that you are hydrogen - Ian D.

Thanks
    I used to think my family was crazy and that there were too many distractions to get anything useful done. So I went out and got a job doing tech support thinking that I'd rent an apartment or something (I had lived rent free up until this time on my family's dime). What a god-damned eye opener to say the least. I quit shortly after even though the company wanted me to stay and gave me raise.

It gave me such great respect for my family members that were working your standard blue-collar jobs day in and day out. Instead of looking externally for the source of my discontent, I started to look within myself instead. Not to say that none of my complaints weren't valid, or that my family isn't at least a little bit crazy (all good ones are). But it takes greater strength to stick around and confront issues that really matter, instead of turning your back and just walking away. And the great thing about striving to be a better person and exercising tolerance is that the sentiment often times rubs off on those around you given enough persistence.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts
    My house is fine. I live with my parents and rent and food are free, can't complain about that. Definitely making every effort to move out of Iowa asap though, must be done.

Thanks
    I live in student accommodation unit with some other people in a University that I don't study in. I don't have to pay rates, water or electricity, just rent and food, and I have a job. The only downside is that the students here are very liberal of having loud parties to 1am in the morning when I have to be up at 6 to go to work. I can't exactly make a fuss about it just because.. well.. I'm not supposed to be here.... Shhhhh....

Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts
    Speaking of which, I want to find students from an art school to room with when I move out... need to figure out how to get in contact with students even though I don't go to a school (not on campus though).

Thanks
    I live alone, something for which I am eternally grateful.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to blogmatix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hey vay i feel you, totally not enjoyable at all. your situation sounds really bad but i am impressed you manage to keep a sketchbook and draw and stuff stay strong ok
    and its cool you're in NY lol

samrainger one of my biggest fears is that once i leave, the world will be worse and that i wont have anywhere to turn and suddenly realize 'hey my family wasnt that bad after all'

but another fear worse than that is that i will realize "my family was pretty crappy after all"

i have respect for my family and i love them but.... there's boundaries that i will set for my own health and safety
    ~*the artistic journey is like giving birth, its gonna hurt and you know you suck but you cant give up because there is no such thing as "giving up" in childbirth*~

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    ... Is it weird that I want to know how old Stoat is too now?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    Yall need to move to Slovakia. It's the shiz-nizzle.

Thanks
    Last week, my mother said to me "One down, three to go." I'm nearly eighteen, so of course she was talking about me. Truth is, I am a child at heart, and I'm sort of terrified of the real world. I like not having to pay for shit. I have no idea what I'm going to do once I'm done with high school. Unless I get a scholarship, I'm at a loss for how I'm going to pay for college. It's become next to impossible for a kid to get a job around here, and believe me, I've tried everywhere for the past two years. So my living situation at this point? Entirely dependent on my artistic skill.
    God help me...
    eat-drink-fuck-draw-sleep. repeat.
    Every critique helps me improve! Have a look at my sketchbook, it won't take long.

It is well with me only when I have a chisel in my hand.
    -Michelangelo

Thanks
    Heh. I'm fiftymumble, which isn't that old, but I'm the youngest person in my peer group. (Dear fate: why am I always the youngest person in my peer group?)

Anyway, being twenty-something and on my own were the best years EVER.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I love where I live! Nice house, 100 yards from the pub, 110 to the curry house, 105 to the train station from which you can get to Glasgow or Edinburgh in 30 mins. And you have to walk past the pub to get to the station, or more often than not, through it.

On Stoat's scale, I'm Older. It was cool being older as there was just me and my wife. But 10 days ago we had a wee boy, so now we have the dreaded responsibility thing going now. I've been assured that he will stop puking and crying and pooing at some point, or at least stop doing it all at once.

I'm a self employed software developer, my wife values business property so the government can tax the shit out of the owners. If this was Star Wars, she'd work on the Death Star, I'd drive the Millennium Falcon.

Right now, life is goooooood! (Except I've got a cold). It's not so bad being older, and not poor anymore.

Thanks
    Congrats D0ming0! I'm glad you like where you're living too.

@Stoat, yeah I can't wait until I'm twenty something (Turning twenty next april) and living sort of onmy own. First thing's first though, gotta get a job.

@SDNolan, I feel ya. My parents kinda want me out of here, and I have no job. I do have a scholarship, but the job part is killing me. And I don't know anybody who could get me a job either. =\ Good luck though.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to america220 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It's alright. I can walk to work which is pretty great. I wish I had space for a desk.

Thanks
    Pretty easy going, my mom just demands that I have a job and do my work pretty much....oh, and those wretched chores. But going to college at home is pretty awesome.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadlyhazard View Post
    But going to college at home is pretty awesome.
    I'll be honest that sounds awful.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,727 Times in 4,633 Posts
    I love where I live too. I'm in a part of London where the ethnic balance is such that people talk to each other. My house is small with 3 growing kids and a shrinking husband. We are noisy, shout a lot, but we're always there for each other.

My kid brother is building me an extension next year, so we have room for my mother (who is getting to the stage where someone needs to be around and have someone to talk to a bit more often). I'm looking forward to it. Eventually he'll do me a loft extension as well (bargain for buying me out of my inheritance) and then I'll have tons of room for a studio when the kids eventually leave, but then I might be too old to follow my dreams. I don't believe it's right to chuck kids out before they're ready - I didn't leave home until I was 27.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    I have no choice but to be where I am. If I was somewhere else, the people who actually live THERE would have me arrested.

...and it's a nice feeling to look out at the 1985 stat camera rusting in the drive way, up on blocks, knowing that every black snake, gopher, carpenter ant, pop bottle, and rusty coffee can full of hot metal type within sight is all yours...
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    I'm still at the stage where I shuffle a lot between my parents home and uni apartment.

Parents home is a nice apartment in a vintage house in a neighborhood with a nice milieu. I have cool, smiley parents and I'm the youngest sibling so I have tons of space. They buy me good food and let me be happily at peace as long as I do my chores. I love weekend mornings here when I wake up and there's porridge and coffee waiting in the kitchen.

My uni apartment is SHIT, but it has its' good sides. It's in an old, slowly decaying wooden house in a slightly ghetto/slummish neighborhood that has gotten somewhat left behind in time. A lot of loud temperamented not-speaking-my-language-people live here, predominantly russophonic and sometimes they're cool, sometimes they annoy me (Njet, ja ne... for f***s sake, I don't understand what you're yelling about). In general, despite how it looks like, the neighborhood is pretty safe though. There's a small shop in the next house and a supermarket an 8 min walk away. The place is really close to the old town so lots of pubs etc. and not far from the city center and my uni department is also just a short walk away.

Has some "fun" quirks like the floor in my room has enough of a slant angle that small things with little friction tend to slide into one corner. The "shower room" is in the cellar (communal) and gets pretty darn cold in the winter and someone has to make a fire to get hot water. Only one kitchen per floor (4 apartments, 6 people), but because of that we're all friends, all young folk too. The house has a bit of a community feel which I kinda like and there's a lot of mutual back-scratching going on.

My room's window got a piece of glass thrown out of in the spring and has some cardboard taped to it now, looks like shit but does the job. The house is just so slanting that replacing the glass/window with a modern one is nearly impossible w/o a more serious intervention.

The rent is cheap and the location is good and living on my own - just feels pricless it trumps all the bad sides.
    Last edited by nofu; July 17th, 2011 at 09:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast